Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Yankee Clipper vs Loggers Run

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby dlmtechnology on April 21st, 2017, 4:26 pm
Has anyone every answered why on slow days Logger's Run is the flume of choice to open instead of Yankee Clipper?

I've never seen them alternate which ride runs. Is it purely people like Loggers better because of the dip? Is there a staffing issue, does YC require more staff? Is it a maintenance issue? More logs than boats?

Any thoughts?
dlmtechnology

Postby tribar on April 21st, 2017, 5:06 pm
I think it is because Logger's Run is more popular but don't quote me on that.
tribar

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 21st, 2017, 5:11 pm
While I rode Loggers 10x in a row one day last summer (basically to up my ride count and it was so dead at that time), I prefer Yankee Clipper. I like the single 60 ft drop vs. the "dip" .
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby BCarroll on April 21st, 2017, 7:27 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I like the single 60 ft drop vs. the "dip" .

Agreed. While I enjoy both, If I had to choose one to ride it would be Yankee Clipper.
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby Viper 88 on April 25th, 2017, 11:16 am
While i do enjoy both a lot I can offer insight, being that I hate HH and prefer water rides. While LR is more thrilling because of the double dip, more of a rollercoaster like sensation; YC gets you absolutely soaked. It is different than RR where you might be the unlucky schlub who walks off dry (yup happened to me) or BB where if no one is manning the guns on the outside or the tipping bucket isn't on you don't really get wet. Loggers is more of a mist where Yankee is a full on wall of water like Splashwater Falls used to be.
Viper 88

Postby tribar on April 25th, 2017, 12:18 pm
Viper 88 wrote:While i do enjoy both a lot I can offer insight, being that I hate HH and prefer water rides. While LR is more thrilling because of the double dip, more of a rollercoaster like sensation; YC gets you absolutely soaked. It is different than RR where you might be the unlucky schlub who walks off dry (yup happened to me) or BB where if no one is manning the guns on the outside or the tipping bucket isn't on you don't really get wet. Loggers is more of a mist where Yankee is a full on wall of water like Splashwater Falls used to be.

Weird. I always found that LR got me wetter than YC.

I wouldn't say any of the park's 4 water rides are like a list either. All 4 of them get you either fairly wet if not soaked though RR can be hit or miss.
tribar

Postby RollingCoasting on April 25th, 2017, 1:52 pm
Yankee is more thrilling, but Logger's seems to always get me wetter as well, plus I love it's somewhat secluded/tranquil queue
RollingCoasting

Postby dlmtechnology on April 25th, 2017, 10:00 pm
It's been so long since I've been on YC that I've forgotten the queue and exit. I know Loggers had an on ride camera did YC? If it didn't I wonder if that loss of revenue might have played a factor in loggers always being opene, or not the loss of revenue but the havoc on scheduling because photos isn't part of the rides department
dlmtechnology

Postby Tardis1972 on April 26th, 2017, 9:54 am
No YC doesn't have a camera. I think LR still has its camera at the bottom of the second drop. However I'm pretty the camera was between the two drops at first.
As for me I prefer Logger's Run over Yankee Clipper.
Last edited by Tardis1972 on April 26th, 2017, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tardis1972

Postby JaminOut on April 26th, 2017, 2:37 pm
The camera has been in the middle of the double down since its initial placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 1st, 2017, 3:04 pm
Viper 88 wrote:While i do enjoy both a lot I can offer insight, being that I hate HH and prefer water rides. While LR is more thrilling because of the double dip, more of a rollercoaster like sensation; YC gets you absolutely soaked. It is different than RR where you might be the unlucky schlub who walks off dry (yup happened to me) or BB where if no one is manning the guns on the outside or the tipping bucket isn't on you don't really get wet. Loggers is more of a mist where Yankee is a full on wall of water like Splashwater Falls used to be.

How can anyone possibly NOT get soaked on Roaring Rapids?? Since they beefed it up with those "geysers" and the onshore people having target practice, there isn't a dry rider at all!!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Viper 88 on May 1st, 2017, 5:01 pm
Dont know walked off dry was like wtf?! They need the waterfall channel to go over the boats, not to mention the waterfalls on over the cave and the final one rock formation/waterfall actually hit the boats. It really is the driest raft ride i've ever seen, they should take a page from Cedar Point's Thunder Canyon!
Viper 88

Postby Tardis1972 on May 1st, 2017, 5:31 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:

How can anyone possibly NOT get soaked on Roaring Rapids?? Since they beefed it up with those "geysers" and the onshore people having target practice, there isn't a dry rider at all!!

This happened to me on the river rapid ride at Animal Kingdom. And that ride has a small drop that's supposed to soak everyone. But nope I got off the ride only a little wet. Everyone else was soaked though.
Tardis1972

Postby CoasterCale on May 2nd, 2017, 8:37 pm
I feel that Logger's is more obvious and is right off the midway. It draws crowds that weren't necessarily seeking out a water ride.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 11th, 2017, 12:25 pm
CoasterCale wrote:I feel that Logger's is more obvious and is right off the midway. It draws crowds that weren't necessarily seeking out a water ride.

That's a great point that I didnt' think about! Also, Yankee isn't always running. If they have only one open, it's Loggers'.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterCale on May 15th, 2017, 10:25 am
Why thank you. :)

CoasterCale

Postby B&MGuy35 on May 15th, 2017, 4:33 pm
CoasterCale wrote:I feel that Logger's is more obvious and is right off the midway. It draws crowds that weren't necessarily seeking out a water ride.

With the reworking of the path now from the install of The Joker, Yankee Clipper is actually visible from the midway by The Relocated Bridge. So maybe this may increase ridership for YC this season. Anything is possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby dlmtechnology on May 15th, 2017, 10:12 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:
With the reworking of the path now from the install of The Joker, Yankee Clipper is actually visible from the midway by The Relocated Bridge. So maybe this may increase ridership for YC this season. Anything is possible

First they need to have it open to increase ridership :)
dlmtechnology

Postby CoasterCale on May 18th, 2017, 8:28 am
dlmtechnology wrote:
B&MGuy35 wrote:

First they need to have it open to increase ridership :)

Both very solid points. 8)

CoasterCale

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 22nd, 2017, 4:10 pm
We hit Yankee Clipper 2x on Friday and got SOAKED both times! Probably even more wet than from Roaring Rapids which we also hit on Friday. The water "spray" that was coming out at the bottom was huge! I was kind of wondering if that was due to the fact that Logger's was off, thus allowing greater water pressure?

Ironically Logger's wasn't running Friday at all. Usually if only one of these 2 is running it's Logger's.

CoasterRiderSC

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum