Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Poll: Worst addition to SFGAm in the last ten years

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.

What do you think was the worst addition to SFGAm from 2007-2017?

2007 - Wiggles World/Kidzopolis
No votes
2008 - The Dark Knight Coaster
3%
2009 - Buccaneer Battle
20%
2010 - Little Dipper
No votes
2010 - Glow in the Park
3%
2010 - MagiQuest
14%
2010 - Sky Trail
No votes
2011 - Riptide Bay
No votes
2012 - X-Flight
No votes
2013 - IgNight - Grand Finale
49%
2014 - Goliath
3%
2015 - 40 Seasons of Thrills/Hometown Park
9%
2016 - Justice League: Battle for Metropolis
No votes
2017 - The Joker
No votes

Total votes : 35

Postby RollingCoasting on March 13th, 2017, 12:08 am
The last ten years have brought forth plenty of new additions to Six Flags Great America. Whether family additions, or intended for thrill seekers, some have been far less successful than others. So what do you think was the worst addition to the park from 2007-2017?

My vote - IgNight - Grand Finale (2013). Though 2013 was my favorite season, I didn't think IgNight was a stellar event. While I liked the whole idea of a night time show (I thoroughly enjoyed Glow in the Park), I just thought IgNight lacked a good storyline and was just kind of all over the place. Plus I really disliked how the stage blocked the train station for all of 2013 and some of 2014, really glad it's now back to how it used to be.

Second worst would be Buccaneer Battle due how unpopular it has proven to be

Your thoughts?

EDIT: Forgot Sky Trail from the poll
Last edited by RollingCoasting on March 13th, 2017, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RollingCoasting

Postby gottastrata33 on March 13th, 2017, 12:58 am
Though Ignight was...interesting to say the least, the only thing I will "complain" about was the short lived & hideous MagiQuest. I just didn't get it. But that year brought greater things like a ropes course & Little Dipper. :) Almost every thing I think has had its purpose or been a needed addition.
gottastrata33

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on March 13th, 2017, 7:52 am
Let's start with what attractions are already gone. This leaves us with Ignight, MagiQuest, Sky Trail, and Glow in the Night.. But, MagiQuest, Glow in the Park, Sky Trail had Little Dipper to at least help least help it out. 2010 would have been pretty bad if they wouldn't have bought Little Dipper. Ignight was definitely the worst addition in the last ten years. Not only did it destroy our beautiful Hometown Square, it was short lived and what person is going to Great America for just a show? Sure, I can see it at Dollywood, but people go to Six Flags parks to ride rides. I really liked what they did in 2010 with four smaller budget things including the night time show, rather than just the white wall covering Hometown Square RR Station known as Ignight. I think Great America is better than that and if we see a nighttime show marketed as our new attraction again, it better be a good one.
Thanks,
Whiz Kid
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby Jacklw6499 on March 13th, 2017, 10:46 am
IgNight for sure... This is definitely an interesting topic!
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby Coaster Justin on March 13th, 2017, 10:54 am
igNight and I know what your thinking "Oh you just hate shows." Untrue, I loved Glow In the Park Parade (Saw it at least 3-4x) and Anyone who has seen World Of Color at California Adventure would probably love something like that here.

I'm not saying igNight was bad but I rode Batman backwards more times that year.

VERY close second was 40 Seasons Of Fun, Still wondering what that was and what it was supposed to have.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby tribar on March 13th, 2017, 11:22 am
I think it has to be ingnite. Total failure that cannibalized one of the better areas of the park.
tribar

Postby Coaster Justin on March 13th, 2017, 1:12 pm
Another unlisted honorable mention:

Go Karts in Yukon Territory. Replace an adorable kids area with concrete and gas scented upcharge cars.

Coaster Justin

Postby RollingCoasting on March 13th, 2017, 3:32 pm
^ Well technically it wasn't a new addition, just moved within the park (I guess you could argue the same with Hometown Park but those rides were gone mucher longer and it was marketed)

I think everyone can pretty much agree though, that that was one of the worst decisions in the park's history :lol: (Well, except for the park who is making money from Go-Kart sales :P)
RollingCoasting

Postby Viper 88 on March 13th, 2017, 9:51 pm
Initially my choice wasn't up there because it was added in 05-HH (not a waterpark person could have been built across the express way where they had space originally and the current space for a streets of yesterday section with older rides) But Mine has to be a 3 way tie between TDK, Ignite garbage, and Go Kart relocation. BB, 40 seasons of thrills, Joker, Goliath and X flight are my runners up. I know I'll get flack but whatever.
Viper 88

Postby [jonrev] on March 13th, 2017, 10:13 pm
IgNight was awful but at least the damage it did to Hometown Square was rectified.

Buccaneer Battle gets my vote for largely being a waste of prime real estate.
[jonrev]

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on March 13th, 2017, 10:16 pm
I think I'll unnecessarily make a list from Best to Worst. Here we go...

1) Justice League: BFM. This ride filled in a HUGE hole that's been present in the park ever since it opened. It is indoors with AC, it has some really good theming, it is fun for the whole family as well as Thrill Seekers, and replaced something that's been abandoned for as long as I can remember. Very solid addition.

2) X-Flight: While it may not have filled a lineup hole, it certainly gave a huge breath of life into the County Fair area. Before, the star attractions were Eagle, Revolution, and Demon(maybe Wolf)(nothing wrong with them, but that is VERY weak). This ride gave people a reason to come to the back of the park. It was innovative, it was well themed, and it has a very solid layout. While it may not be the best coaster in the park, it is without a doubt one of the most important in making Modern Great America what it is today. Not to mention that it replaced a giant concrete pit surrounded by more concrete. Quite the eyesore if you ask me.

3) Goliath: Who doesn't at least like this ride? It's tall, fast, intense, and has a wonderful set of elements. It made most #1 spots in the park, if not top 3 or 4. It replaced a very unpopular ride, and gave more life into the part of CF that X-Flight couldn't reach. It really put Great America on the map on an international scale. It gave all coaster enthusiasts to come here. Raging Bull? Many consider it to be the worst hyper. Whizzer? Not everyone is a Schwarzkopf junkie. Goliath is an RMC, which most every enthusiast wants to ride.

4) Riptide Bay: This added some really solid slides and attractions to our waterpark. Not too much to say other than it added things we didn't have.

5) Wiggles World/Kidzopolis: Especially now that BBNP is gone, another kiddie area really helped the congestion in Camp Cartoon. Now kids are able to have fun under a roof. Not to mention that some of the rides were actually rather nicely themed(especially the S&S(or Moser, idk) tower). I personally really liked it.

6) Little Dipper: While the ride doesn't do much, it's a very important piece of Chicagoland History, and many of us are very glad that Great America decided to keep it running.

7) Glow in the Park: This was a really great show. Loads of music, great visuals, lots of good props and sets, and had a really charming way of ending the day. Would definitely bring back!

8.) Joker: It's cool, I guess, but it doesn't really do much to our lineup other than rotating seats.

9) 40 Seasons: It's nice to see that the park cares about sprucing things up, but the double rides thing really hurt wait times.

10) The Dark Knight Coaster: I get what they were trying to go for, but they failed in my eyes. Half the things don't work, it's outdated, and that god damn train can never be forgiven. Plus, this was really unnecessary with Ragin Cajun literally less than 500 feet away. The giant box was also a huge eyesore.

11) Buccaneer Battle: Waste of space, water, and staff. I've only ever seen a line for this ride twice, the staff look bored out of their minds, and is a rather large eyesore with all the faded paint.

12) Sky Trail: An Upcharge, while fun, is still an Upcharge. I liked it, but it didn't really help the area all that much.

13) MagiQuest: Another Upcharge. Meh. At least this one had some decent-ish theming.

14) IgNight: Do I even need an explanation? This monstrosity had it all- it was an eyesore, it ruined Hometown Square, it had a really bad story, and it ran for less than 3 months. Quite the waste if you ask me. Some of the effects were kinda cool, but it didn't make up for the fact that it ruined one of the last places in the park where you could sit down and relax under some shade without the hustle and bustle.

Whew, hopefully that paid off.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby gottastrata33 on March 14th, 2017, 2:43 am
Guy, all of that was a waste of time & incorrect. JK ;D I actually agree with almost everything, it was a nice read getting all your opinions. I really love JLBFM & XF are so high on the list, you said things very accurately. I'm glad you agree with me on JL being so important to the park. :)

Two things I'm on the fence about - Joker & BB. Your opinion isn't "wrong" because I do understand where you're coming from but I think a tiny little more credit is due. While I agree on Joker not adding to our lineup in the ways XF & Goliath have recently, it is a new style of ride most people will have their mouths drop open for. Do I wish we got an X2/Eejanaika? Absolutely. But logically I understand why we didn't. It will still deliver a new sensation to us that we don't have here & add an even more well rounded lineup to our collection (if that makes sense I don't talk well haha).
Now onto BB - I really think before JLBFM was here, this was a much needed flat ride. It is very interactive & detailed on theming. For so many of us complaining about a lack of themeing, this ride has so damn much of it. I think people find it boring so they hate on it so damn much. It's a great looking ride & does about the same amount of movement (if not more) of krazy kars just in water. It's a kids ride that an adult can sit with them in while INTERACTING with not only the young ones but people not even riding. Could it use a coat of paint? Yes. Other than that, I really don't understand the hatred with this ride.
gottastrata33

Postby Coaster Justin on March 14th, 2017, 4:42 am
Best part about Buccaneer Battle is that it never has a line so if you need to cool off, Just ride it. Plus it's so fun to soak people for no reason.

Coaster Justin

Postby CoasterRiderSC on March 14th, 2017, 4:37 pm
First off, thanks for posting this poll and thread. Also I honestly don't think Goliath or X-Flight really even need to be choices in this poll! Those are two of the top 5 rides in the park. I actually have X-Flight as #1 and Goliath as #3.

One other thing I just don't understand: why all the hatred for Dark Knight?? It's a fun ride for people of all ages. If it was so terrible it would always be a walk on and nobody would ever ride it (both of which are never true). It's quite reliable and it's a nice break from the sun and elements. Yes I understand some of the effects don't work, but hey, they don't always work on JL and for X-Flight I have NEVER ridden it with the fog in the tower or the water cannons working/turned on.

As for the building being an eyesore, what's so ugly about it?? Space Mountain is situated inside a bldg and nobody says that's ugly.

/End of defense for TDK
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on March 14th, 2017, 7:18 pm
I completely understand what the park was trying to do with TDK. However, I don't think it worked out because of the way the elements were presented. (heavily)Themed rides are meant to tell some sort of story, and uses various parts of the ride to tell it. Let's compare Justice League and Dark Knight:

Overall story:
For JL, you're being recruited to help free the Justice League from Joker and Lex Luthor.

For TDK, you're on a subway and watch Joker's crew do bad things, and Batman being there before being put back on the subway(?).

Preshow:
TDK has a preshow room(that you rarely get to use anyway) that shows that the Joker is preaent, followed by some queue with a boarding announcement meant to mimmick a subway announcement.

JL uses the queue to show riders what they're doing and how they'll do it, giving the riders both important info about the ride, as well as backstory.

Effects and Props:
TDK has some props along the course that shows Joker being bad and Batman rushing to the rescue. Not too much interaction other than lights and sound being activated. Most of the time, it leaves the rider annoyed or frightened because it's not kind on the ears and or eyes.

JL has numerous interactive props that the rider interacts with, as well as props that interact with the rider. Each one has an effect on how/why the ride moves. These effects can be scary, but the sound and lighting is properly adjusted to be easy on the ears, while also providing the proper level of "scariness".

Facade/exterior:
TDK has the GCR building, with a large, tall, and imposing grey building quite clearly visible in the middle of a New Orleans area. There is very little effort made to hide it.

Justice League has the Hall of Justice facade spanning most of the front, with colored banners and foliage to cover the other sides. Despite being closer to the path, this building is trying to be somewhat hidden from the public, making it much more subtle.

Age Range:
TDK quite clearly appeals more towards families with younger children. Most of those in line have at least 1 child in their group. Thrill seekers(especially those on here), teens, and standalone adults don't really enjoy it because they notice and critique the flaws the ride has.

JL: This ride is enjoyed by almost everyone. It's a dark ride that's able to handle younger children, as well as be interesting to keep the older riders interested.

I know this was an unfair comparison, but it shows how TDK can be seen as flawed, and how it is done "correctly". Hope this clears some things up.

/end explanation

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby stergmi on March 16th, 2017, 10:31 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:First off, thanks for posting this poll and thread. Also I honestly don't think Goliath or X-Flight really even need to be choices in this poll! Those are two of the top 5 rides in the park. I actually have X-Flight as #1 and Goliath as #3.

One other thing I just don't understand: why all the hatred for Dark Knight?? It's a fun ride for people of all ages. If it was so terrible it would always be a walk on and nobody would ever ride it (both of which are never true). It's quite reliable and it's a nice break from the sun and elements. Yes I understand some of the effects don't work, but hey, they don't always work on JL and for X-Flight I have NEVER ridden it with the fog in the tower or the water cannons working/turned on.

As for the building being an eyesore, what's so ugly about it?? Space Mountain is situated inside a bldg and nobody says that's ugly.

/End of defense for TDK
FFB0A0A0-C054-43E1-80BD-C55871ED422A.jpg

Because Space Mountain isn't an ugly building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stergmi

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 10th, 2017, 12:05 pm
Cam, thanks for the writeup. One question: is it fair to call JL a "dark ride" ? It really isn't that dark with all the lights and effects. I get what you're saying about the props and effects not working in TDK. But the ride itself (not counting the effects) is a fun ride. For me, JL is a take it or leave it in my opinion and definitely NOT a "must ride". I just see JL as a glorified video game with some extra effects (i.e. the blue gas, the heat, etc)

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 10th, 2017, 2:43 pm
The definition of a dark ride is generally "an indoor amusement ride on which passengers aboard guided vehicles travel through specially lit scenes that typically contain animation, sound, music, and special effects."

With this definition, JL fits the bill perfectly.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Coaster Justin on April 11th, 2017, 5:30 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Cam, thanks for the writeup. One question: is it fair to call JL a "dark ride" ? It really isn't that dark with all the lights and effects. I get what you're saying about the props and effects not working in TDK. But the ride itself (not counting the effects) is a fun ride. For me, JL is a take it or leave it in my opinion and definitely NOT a "must ride". I just see JL as a glorified video game with some extra effects (i.e. the blue gas, the heat, etc)

The term "Dark ride" is vague to many people, Amusement Today thinks Radiator Springs Racers is a dark ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22GhxvNRg6s Go to 1:45

Coaster Justin

Postby stergmi on April 12th, 2017, 9:28 am
Coaster Justin wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Cam, thanks for the writeup. One question: is it fair to call JL a "dark ride" ? It really isn't that dark with all the lights and effects. I get what you're saying about the props and effects not working in TDK. But the ride itself (not counting the effects) is a fun ride. For me, JL is a take it or leave it in my opinion and definitely NOT a "must ride". I just see JL as a glorified video game with some extra effects (i.e. the blue gas, the heat, etc)

The term "Dark ride" is vague to many people, Amusement Today thinks Radiator Springs Racers is a dark ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22GhxvNRg6s Go to 1:45

It does have some dark ride elements. I prefer to just generalize stuff at Disney and Universal as "attractions" since they go so big and blend elements of all different kind of rides together.

I mean hell, Tower of Terror has dark ride elements to it as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stergmi

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 14th, 2017, 2:49 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:The definition of a dark ride is generally "an indoor amusement ride on which passengers aboard guided vehicles travel through specially lit scenes that typically contain animation, sound, music, and special effects."

With this definition, JL fits the bill perfectly.

With this definition then Pirates of the Carribean and Little Mermaid could be dark rides!

To me a dark ride is something that's almost totally pitch black such as Runaway Mountain (SFOT) and Space Mountain (Disneyland and Disney World).

CoasterRiderSC

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum