Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official 'The Joker' Topic

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby BCarroll on February 13th, 2017, 8:39 pm
I agree with gottastrata , if the ride can be open, OPEN IT! Some people do not have the chance to come back or simply do not have the money too! It is the same thing with resting star players at NBA games where the opponent only plays there one time. You pay all that money to ride rides, or see players, and if those rides can be open easily and are not, that is just unfair to the guest. SF makes enough money as it is, it will not kill them to open a coaster 4 weeks later.
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby RollingCoasting on February 13th, 2017, 8:49 pm
The thing is though, SFI doesn't care if a few guests are going to be unhappy they didn't get to ride, because in the long run, they will be making more money by having an attendance boost on opening day and the opening of the ride.

/enddiscussion
RollingCoasting

Postby anewman35 on February 13th, 2017, 8:56 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:The thing is though, SFI doesn't care if a few guests are going to be unhappy they didn't get to ride, because in the long run, they will be making more money by having an attendance boost on opening day and the opening of the ride.

/enddiscussion

I'm really not even sure that's so true. Are there really a lot of people who:

- Like the park enough to make sure to plan a trip during one of the first few weeks, even without the Joker being open
- Are interested enough in the Joker that they decide they need to make a second trip
- Don't have season passes (or wouldn't buy them if they had been able to do The Joker during their early season trip they HAD to take)

I mean, there must be SOME, but I think it's just as likely maybe you're losing people who go early in the year and, if they had been able to go on Joker would have loved it and wanted to come back, but they DIDN'T get to go on Joker so they never knew...

The policy of not having rides open opening day is total bullshit, but it's just par for the course. All they care is just to get as many people in there as possible and they don't care at all about actually making it a good experience. It's sad, but until people just stop going (and we don't have much of a choice of parks) they're going to keep doing it.
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on February 13th, 2017, 9:00 pm
When I think about this even more, how much of the GP even really understands when exactly a new ride is opening? I mean, I know there's some press and stuff, but everybody I know always seems completely oblivious about this stuff, I really think that a very large portion of people who know/care about when the new ride is opening is going to be season pass holders anyway, which makes "getting people in there twice" as the reason to open rides late seem extra silly.

And they couldn't really have thought they would get a big attendance boost from opening Hometown Park at Memorial Day, could they? Is it just a matter of being able to save staffing a few rides or something?
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on February 14th, 2017, 3:57 am
I'm glad I'm not the only one who disagrees with this "strategy". As said, if the park is open & can operate the new/all ride(s), then do so.

The issue is that a lot of the GP will think if the park is open, the rides are open. I mean a lot of these people try to ride a water ride in 40degree weather & won't understand why it's closed if it's not open. Or why a coaster can't run in a thunderstorm. Again, expecting a ride to be open if the park is.
gottastrata33

Postby gottastrata33 on February 14th, 2017, 4:50 pm
Double post but for good reason - stopped by today, only went right into the driveways, I did not go past any fences/gates or security posts. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gottastrata33

Postby RollingCoasting on February 14th, 2017, 5:03 pm
I have to admit that is a nice impact on the skyline, such a cool view. Thanks for sharing
RollingCoasting

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on February 16th, 2017, 10:57 am
I agree, it does make an impact on the skyline. I like it! As for not opening when it could be open, I do not mind so much. It's current Season Pass Preview Day is the first day I am off of school, any other day I wouldn't be able to go. I never visit SFGAm until late May, so it works out for me.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby staticshadows on February 16th, 2017, 3:48 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby SFGAM_Hog on February 19th, 2017, 2:19 pm

View from I-94
Looks like they are going to top it off this week!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Jacklw6499 on February 19th, 2017, 3:47 pm
Is Joker supposed to open Memorial day weekend? Is there a Season pass holders opening day? What are the dates?
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby Tardis1972 on February 19th, 2017, 4:26 pm
Yes Joker is supposed to open Memorial Day weekend.
Here are the dates.
May 25th T- Shirt Day
May 26th Season Pass Day
May 27th Grand Opening
Tardis1972

Postby staticshadows on February 19th, 2017, 5:07 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby stergmi on February 19th, 2017, 9:05 pm
So I get being upset that it won't be open for Opening Day but we're also only talking about 16 operating days before we get to T-Shirt day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stergmi

Postby gottastrata33 on February 20th, 2017, 12:35 am
I saw the support & thought they installed an angled /non vertical lift. I was like wait what?!
gottastrata33

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on February 20th, 2017, 12:42 am
While it may appear finished, there is still another piece of track that needs to be installed(the green side was constructed, but the purple one still needs to go up). My guess is that they're going to make a top-off video much like Goliath.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on February 21st, 2017, 11:21 am
The Joker is currently being topped off and they have videos posted of it on the parks snapchat.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby DejaVu2001 on February 21st, 2017, 11:58 am
For anyone that doesn't have SnapChat.
DejaVu2001

Postby SFGAM_Hog on February 21st, 2017, 3:51 pm
The area looks nice!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
SFGAM_Hog

Postby RollingCoasting on February 21st, 2017, 8:50 pm
Looks like Marcus posted a video of the topping off

https://twitter.com/marcusleshock/statu ... 4456053762
RollingCoasting

Postby great america fan on February 21st, 2017, 9:03 pm
Screenshot 2017-02-21 at 7.59.56 PM.png

at the begging you can see that they haven't started the transfer building yet
great america fan

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on February 21st, 2017, 11:45 pm
This thing is seriously imposing. Can't wait to ride!

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby AirTimeDaz on February 22nd, 2017, 9:00 am
i can't stress enough how much i love marcus! he always represents the coaster nerd in all of us! looking good joker you sly devil you :twisted: looks a heck of a lot better in our skyline than a "superloop" ever could 8)
AirTimeDaz

Postby Viper 88 on February 22nd, 2017, 10:22 pm
Has anyone been on the copies? Is it Fluffy Friendly?
Viper 88

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on February 22nd, 2017, 10:51 pm
^It looks like typical Vests, so if you can do X-Flight, you can probably do this

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Guy_With_A_Stick

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum