Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

New Ride(s) for 2017

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby staticshadows on February 9th, 2017, 6:00 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby RollingCoasting on February 9th, 2017, 6:06 pm
I actually like the concept, it's kind of like if a Superloop had winged trains. Good to see S&S really putting themselves out there.

ilrider is right though, that it'd be redundant with 2 wing coasters (X-Flight and The Joker) already in our line-up. If we were too get a Full-Throttle like LSM launch coaster, V2's spot along with one of the flumes would be a prime location. I know alot of people say "Remove both or none", but the other could easily be modified. (Pretty sure that happened at CGA)
RollingCoasting

Postby Goku1910 on February 9th, 2017, 6:13 pm
Eh, more gimmicks and cheap alternatives.
Goku1910

Postby ilrider on February 10th, 2017, 4:59 pm
staticshadows wrote:No offense taken. It looks similar to a Skyrocket II, but with better capacity. The park now has two wing coasters with The Joker.

Yeah, I already forgot about the Joker. lol Two wing coasters is enough. If V2 goes, I want something big in its place, is all, with all the potential space in that area. And I'm a guy who does not even ride V2 all that much. The Skyrocket II is a really cool design, but I agree the capacity is too low.
ilrider

Postby Coaster Justin on February 10th, 2017, 9:37 pm
I like the ideas S&S has (Which look very similar to Mack launch coaster ideas) but I don't like the OTSR's. I had a horrible ride on Steel Hawg cause of their restraints.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on February 10th, 2017, 9:56 pm
^They just used the Euro-Fighter model from No Limits 2. They now use vest restraints:

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby FParker185 on February 10th, 2017, 11:31 pm
If they happened to remove V2 this year, I'd be willing to bet the replacement will not be a "coaster" per say
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Coaster Justin on February 11th, 2017, 7:00 am
FParker185 wrote:If they happened to remove V2 this year, I'd be willing to bet the replacement will not be a "coaster" per say

Hope it's a Zamperla Giant Discovery & Maybe an Endeavor to replace Revolution

Coaster Justin

Postby FParker185 on February 12th, 2017, 6:07 pm
I'd take either over what SF bought at IAAPA that takes up an almost identical space as an Impulse coaster
FParker185

Postby Coaster Justin on February 13th, 2017, 2:46 am
What did they buy at IAAPA?

Coaster Justin

Postby RollingCoasting on February 13th, 2017, 5:10 pm
I'm assuming he's talking about a Mack Powersplash

But I wanna see proof ;)
RollingCoasting

Postby staticshadows on February 13th, 2017, 6:17 pm
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby FParker185 on February 14th, 2017, 11:11 pm
None of those as far as I know, Wish it was something decent. I'll just say I'd rather see V2 stay despite the fact I haven't ridden it in over a decade
FParker185

Postby staticshadows on March 14th, 2017, 2:38 pm
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby JaminOut on March 14th, 2017, 7:31 pm
RMC T-Rex???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby gottastrata33 on March 15th, 2017, 3:47 am
I find this very interesting. I do also find this to be wonderful for Fiesta Texas. Kinda. This could either be good or bad (like anything in life). They could get the prototypes & we/other parks in the chain get an updated/larger version OR it could go 2015 to 2017 with Batman to Joker. Meaning they get the prototype, & we all get the exact same thing just because it worked there. To me that's no good.

With flat rides, it's understandable for parks across the globe to get the same ride. I've never been to a park & got upset they had teacups because we have teacups. But when it comes to a roller coaster, each of us want nothing more than to be unique, having a layout no one else has. It's what makes us want to travel to another park, to experience something new, exciting & unfamiliar. When we go to another park in the chain & see a "Batman the ride", we know it's going to be a great ride. We know this because we have one. But let's be honest, we most likely did not visit said park for Batman. We came here for Full Throttle, Texas Giant, Mr. Freeze, El Toro or Wicked Cyclone to name a few. Parks need individuality to set them apart from another. Each of these parks reside on different terrain, cultures, major cities etc that make them unique from one another. All these things contribute to many of the rides or eateries themes. Like Fiesta Texas for example. Much of this park is Mexican inspired with architecture & colors. St. Louis has a great wooded terrain that make The Boss an exceptional wooden coaster. There are so many attributes no matter how minuscule or major it may be, that make a park what it is. I don't want every park in the chain to be identical from this point on. Each one of us has something/things that make it great & unique. Let's keep that going!
gottastrata33

Postby Jodon on March 15th, 2017, 9:59 am
The last 4-5 years has shown that Six Flags corporate has little interest in making decisions to keep parks individuality and create custom rides. They view themselves as true regional parks. I'm guessing that corporate has the ability to track season passes and have seen how many people actually visit two or more different Six Flags in a year. Think about it, not counting people on this forum, how many people do you know that have visited multiple Six Flags parks in a year...I'm guessing that the number isn't very high.

If my hypothesis is correct, there is little gained from a business stand point to create custom rides for every park. If each regional park gets something new every year regardless if it's a clone or custom, there is excitement built up in the region and will draw in crowds because it's new. The majority of people that frequent SF Fiesta Texas couldn't care less about what ride is going in SFGAm and visa versa. While I understand the enthusiast's frustration in this business model, the enthusiast is such a small number of visitors that there is little incentive for SF corporate to seek their dollars. For SF to back off this business model, there would have to be a drastic drop in attendance and revenue. Given SFGAm's huge crowds during the summer and Fright Fest, I'm doubting that the business model of SF Corporate will change any time soon.

Fact is, SF Corporate has seen evidence that smaller annual additions keeps guests coming through the gates. If a park can maintain or increase attendance and revenue with a small addition, what incentive is there to add a large capitol investment. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see SF springing for a 20+ million dollar in any park any time soon.
Jodon

Postby gottastrata33 on March 15th, 2017, 5:50 pm
They clearly believe in custom things as well though or we wouldn't be seeing rides over the past decade or so like El Toro, Goliath/any RMC, DareDevil, Xflight etc. but over all yes it's a lot of "this worked here, put it here".
gottastrata33

Postby stergmi on March 16th, 2017, 12:56 pm
I don't mind "X worked here so let's put in there" as long as they aren't complete clones. I like how the 2015. 2016, and 2017 JLs are slightly different. I just wish the Jokers were too. Different name and theme per park. If possible differing specs and track layouts.

stergmi

Postby gottastrata33 on March 16th, 2017, 1:15 pm
As I've said before, if they were to change up the products a bit then it's fine. Like why aren't there any "Battle For Gotham"s versus Battle For Metropolis? Once Batman worked at Fiesta I thought for sure that SFGAdv & us would get an updated/larger higher capacity model.
gottastrata33

Postby stergmi on March 21st, 2017, 6:31 am
gottastrata33 wrote:As I've said before, if they were to change up the products a bit then it's fine. Like why aren't there any "Battle For Gotham"s versus Battle For Metropolis? Once Batman worked at Fiesta I thought for sure that SFGAdv & us would get an updated/larger higher capacity model.

Agreed.

stergmi

Postby Wisco Woody on March 22nd, 2017, 2:56 pm
Six Flags claims these 4D free spins have an 800 per hour capacity, when in reality they are hitting 400 to 600 per hour. Now I can't imagine average guests being gullible enough to flood the Joker que in the same way they flood Goliath, a solid 700-800 per hour capacity, but if they do in the first half of the season, my hope is that the magnet effect clears out the early lines from Batman, V2, and Goliath on busier days.

It is my view that since most of the regular GP guests have ridden X-Flight, V2, and Goliath, and many both Deja Vu and Ragin Cajun as well, it will be hard to wow and scare them in the same way that Batman 4D did for Fiesta Texas guests. What I'm most excited for, having ridden X2 at Magic Mountain, is the ability to somewhat control the flipping seats with my friends the same way we do on a Zipper. I'm afraid I'll be disappointed, as it won't deliver more than 30 seconds of speed and potential flipping, quite shorter than X2 and a lot shorter than the 2+ minute ride time of a Zipper, and likely significantly less intense than both.
Wisco Woody

Postby stergmi on March 23rd, 2017, 5:40 am
Wisco Woody wrote:Six Flags claims these 4D free spins have an 800 per hour capacity, when in reality they are hitting 400 to 600 per hour. Now I can't imagine average guests being gullible enough to flood the Joker que in the same way they flood Goliath, a solid 700-800 per hour capacity, but if they do in the first half of the season, my hope is that the magnet effect clears out the early lines from Batman, V2, and Goliath on busier days.

It is my view that since most of the regular GP guests have ridden X-Flight, V2, and Goliath, and many both Deja Vu and Ragin Cajun as well, it will be hard to wow and scare them in the same way that Batman 4D did for Fiesta Texas guests. What I'm most excited for, having ridden X2 at Magic Mountain, is the ability to somewhat control the flipping seats with my friends the same way we do on a Zipper. I'm afraid I'll be disappointed, as it won't deliver more than 30 seconds of speed and potential flipping, quite shorter than X2 and a lot shorter than the 2+ minute ride time of a Zipper, and likely significantly less intense than both.

Yeah. This is more like Green Lantern at Magic Mountain which unfortunately after 3 rides I never got more than one flip per ride.

stergmi

Postby gottastrata33 on March 23rd, 2017, 10:01 am
This really depends on the riders. From videos I've seen to personal stories I hear, Green Lantern really gets one full flip on that last "top hat brake run". Some people get more. Same with these free spins. My friend Dan is a big boy & he flipped 4 times on Joker in Jersey. But even then said he's only flipped once. The problem is these parks are advertising the ride flipping on every "element" & we've all learned that doesn't happen sadly.
gottastrata33

Postby stergmi on March 23rd, 2017, 10:06 am
I know it would up the cost but it's a shame these free spins don't have the programmed "controlled" flips that X2 has

stergmi

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum