Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Could Holiday In The Park come to SFGAm? JRA says "Maybe"

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby RollingCoasting on November 23rd, 2016, 4:22 am
Huh. Coulda sworn SFNE had it. Well Great Escape's lounge is doing a holiday event, so they atleast have something.
RollingCoasting

Postby n9yty on November 28th, 2016, 2:55 pm
We went to Holiday in the Park in St. Louis this weekend... Special trip, just for that, me and the three boys.

We had a great time, but it is on the opening weekend so the temperatures are probably as warm as it is going to get there... It was in the low 50's when the sun was up, down quickly to near 40 when not. The most chilling ride was probably the Sky Screamer. Lots of air. :)

Overall, we had a great time, though, a few of the big coasters were not running like the Boss, Screaming Eagle, unsure what else, but rides we DID get to go on included Mr. Freeze, Boomerang, American Thunder, Ninja, Pandemonium, Exaclibur, Fireball, Collosus, Sky Screamer, Battle for Metropolis and any I may have forgotten.

Because of the number of rides open, we were there open to close Fri/Sat. Don't know how long we would have stayed if the temps were a lot lower with fewer rides going. It was wonderful at night to see the lights everywhere, they did a great job, the music syncrhonized light show was very cool, but that wasn't good, obviously, until after dark.

It was nice, also, just to have the feel of a different park for a bit. We had never been there, so it was all new, which may have added to some of the enjoyment. If they had HITP at Great America, I'm sure we would come from Rockford area to see it, I just don't know how many times. :)

As a side note, all four of us thought that their Battle For Metropolis ride was of a higher quality than the one at SFGAM. Video quality, anyway, it seemed much higher definition. They seemed to have fewer cars running, line moved a lot slower, and the overall "feel" of the waiting line/etc was not as good, but the ride itself seemed better.
n9yty

Postby Coaster Justin on November 28th, 2016, 10:58 pm
How were the crowds and did you see any shows?
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby n9yty on November 29th, 2016, 12:10 am
Coaster Justin wrote:How were the crowds and did you see any shows?

Saw the live nativity once... Saw the Tinseltones twice, and saw the wandering carolers (sp?) and characters wandering around. I thought the shows were well done. Yes, I could pick some nits, but why diminish what was great overall? For the natiity, we were right by the ramp where the live animals came in so the kids liked that part most of all. :)

I didn't think it was overly crowded, and the ride lines were somewhat artificial. They were only running one train on each ride. I know that some only have one, but others have more. Mr Freeze was only using one side There was only one train running on American Thunder and Ninja, both of which I think can have more than one. It would have sped things up and made the wait times less, but I'm sure there are hidden costs/reasons for doing it beyond trying to make people wait and get frustrated. :) We didn't get to the Mine Cart ride becuase my son, seeing the line while we were on Fireball said it looked too long and he didn't even want to check it out.

Friday was less crowded than Saturday, but Saturday was not bad. Plenty of walking room, you didn't feel like you were always running into people or that you couldn't get around a particularly slow group. Some of the food lines were a little long, but not overly so and we didn't mind it that much. All in all, it was a great experience, the only thing I could honestly say that would have made the biggest difference would have been to get the rides operating at capacity with the extra trains. The ambience with all the lighting was great at night, but the music track could have had a few more songs in it. It isn't like there is a shortage of Christmas songs, but we kept hearing the same ones over and over and over and over... LoL
n9yty

Postby CoasterNick3157 on December 2nd, 2016, 12:53 am
n9yty wrote:We went to Holiday in the Park in St. Louis this weekend... Special trip, just for that, me and the three boys.

We had a great time, but it is on the opening weekend so the temperatures are probably as warm as it is going to get there... It was in the low 50's when the sun was up, down quickly to near 40 when not. The most chilling ride was probably the Sky Screamer. Lots of air. :)

Overall, we had a great time, though, a few of the big coasters were not running like the Boss, Screaming Eagle, unsure what else, but rides we DID get to go on included Mr. Freeze, Boomerang, American Thunder, Ninja, Pandemonium, Exaclibur, Fireball, Collosus, Sky Screamer, Battle for Metropolis and any I may have forgotten.

Because of the number of rides open, we were there open to close Fri/Sat. Don't know how long we would have stayed if the temps were a lot lower with fewer rides going. It was wonderful at night to see the lights everywhere, they did a great job, the music syncrhonized light show was very cool, but that wasn't good, obviously, until after dark.

It was nice, also, just to have the feel of a different park for a bit. We had never been there, so it was all new, which may have added to some of the enjoyment. If they had HITP at Great America, I'm sure we would come from Rockford area to see it, I just don't know how many times. :)

As a side note, all four of us thought that their Battle For Metropolis ride was of a higher quality than the one at SFGAM. Video quality, anyway, it seemed much higher definition. They seemed to have fewer cars running, line moved a lot slower, and the overall "feel" of the waiting line/etc was not as good, but the ride itself seemed better.

That's funny cause their website said boomerang, skyscreamer, fireball were to not be open for HITP
CoasterNick3157

Postby n9yty on December 2nd, 2016, 1:09 am
CoasterNick3157 wrote:That's funny cause their website said boomerang, skyscreamer, fireball were to not be open for HITP

What can I say, we rode 'em. :)

I was particularly surprised by Boomerang, because I thought it was closed most of the last part of the season down there every time we checked the web site following the accident in May.
n9yty

Postby Coaster Justin on December 2nd, 2016, 3:21 pm
How does it compare to other Boomerangs? I've heard it's a little smoother

Coaster Justin

Postby n9yty on December 2nd, 2016, 3:33 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:How does it compare to other Boomerangs? I've heard it's a little smoother

This was my first and only one, so I can't compare. We enjoyed it though, even though it broke down on the ride before us, we stuck around until they got it working, only about ten minutes.
n9yty

Postby stergmi on December 2nd, 2016, 3:48 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:How does it compare to other Boomerangs? I've heard it's a little smoother

Considering it derailed back in June.....
stergmi

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on December 2nd, 2016, 7:38 pm
I've ridden Boomerang at StL and Sidewinder at Hershey, and can say that I liked Sidewinder more for the sole reason of the trains. Vekoma Vests > Arrow OTSRs. That isn't saying much, however.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollingCoasting on December 2nd, 2016, 9:46 pm
We were planning a trip to SFSTL this summer (Ended up cancelling) and the day I was supposed to be there both Boomerang AND Ninja were close. :cry: Would've been the best luck ever

Edit: I really regret making this comment because I was actually spited by both Boomerang and Ninja when I visited last month. I hate spites :/
Last edited by RollingCoasting on July 2nd, 2017, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RollingCoasting

Postby RollingCoasting on December 4th, 2016, 7:20 pm
What happens when you search up almost any other SF park on the holiday sites:
sfstlhitp.png

What happens when you search for Great America:
sfgamhitp.png

Six Flags must want us Chicago enthusiasts to have a "Purr-fect" holiday season :wink:
RollingCoasting

Postby Coaster Justin on December 5th, 2016, 3:13 am
What a coincidence, Next year I was thinking about a Holiday Cat Show. Who's following who?

Coaster Justin

Postby CoasterNick3157 on December 5th, 2016, 9:56 pm
just came back from st louis HITP all the rides they were supposely open on opening day for HITP were not open for the two day i went Fireball, Boomerang, Sky Screamer, Screaming Eagle. Quite busy Saturday but Sunday was dead.
CoasterNick3157

Postby gottastrata33 on December 7th, 2016, 6:36 am
On tonight's screamscape update, there was an aerial video posted of a HITP flyover at SFGAdv & it truly is beautiful. Makes me really want it here but I still just can't see it happening. It's already below freezing out.
gottastrata33

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on December 7th, 2016, 12:49 pm
I think it will come eventually. I did HITP at SFOG in 2014 and I'm going back this Christmas. I really enjoyed it and if it can be anything like it was at SFOG it would be a hit.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on December 7th, 2016, 1:09 pm
Like previously stated, the weather here is hit or miss in Winter. Typically, it doesn't get to Polar Vortex-level cold until January, but December can still get quite cold and snowy.

HITP can work amazingly here, and I have soooo many ideas for what we could do(walkthroughs, lighting, events, shows, etc.)

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RaceBoarder on December 10th, 2016, 6:13 pm
For anyone what wonders about how viable a holiday event might be, just look at the last Sunday and tomorrow. Snow would have caused those two day to be a total loss. And the sub-freezing weather for next weekend would be another dagger.

And none of this is out of the ordinary..,,
RaceBoarder

Postby ilrider on December 23rd, 2016, 7:13 pm
I can confirm this was being discussed for our park already this summer. I met with a guy today who interned in one of the business offices at the park this summer, and as we were discussing his experience working there, he brought up HiTP out of the blue, saying it was being considered for SFGAm. I was happy to hear that.

I personally worry about it succeeding at our park with how brutal winter can be here, as we've seen the last few weeks, but I would love to have it!
ilrider

Postby staticshadows on December 23rd, 2016, 8:00 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby RollingCoasting on December 23rd, 2016, 8:38 pm
I guess we'll find out next month :D
RollingCoasting

Postby RollingCoasting on January 7th, 2017, 5:27 pm
Any HITP info at the presentation today?
RollingCoasting

Postby Coaster Justin on January 7th, 2017, 6:28 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:Any HITP info at the presentation today?

No plans.

Coaster Justin

Postby RaceBoarder on January 7th, 2017, 10:31 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:

No plans.

Justified!

This year is a perfect example: The park would have lost two entire weekends prior to Christmas to weather. That would have killed revenue.
RaceBoarder

Postby Coaster Justin on January 8th, 2017, 12:23 pm
RaceBoarder wrote:
Coaster Justin wrote:

No plans.

Justified!

This year is a perfect example: The park would have lost two entire weekends prior to Christmas to weather. That would have killed revenue.

Hot Foods, Cocoa, Coffee, and Warm alcohol sales would be good

Coaster Justin

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum