Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Wish List

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 17th, 2016, 12:00 pm
anewman35 wrote:
RollingCoasting wrote:I'm not sure if removing RB would be the best option. Do you know how many people would vow to "Never visit the park again" on facebook, start pro-tests outside SFGAm, etc.

Even if the giga is the best in the world I'm not sure as to how people would react if the park took out their most popular coaster

I'm not in any way suggesting the park SHOULD remove Raging Bull, but "people would complain on Facebook" and "people may have protests" (unlikely) aren't very good reasons to not do it. If they did remove it I'm sure there would be a short term hit, but people would get over it (and I bet a lot of the GP wouldn't even realize it). If they had something good enough to replacement it, people would get over it quickly enough.

Do you remember what happened when they were planning on removing Whizzer??
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Wisco Woody on October 17th, 2016, 1:24 pm
I'm glad you mentioned Whizzer because that was the point I was eventually leading to. I know they won't actually remove RB, and nor should they, but they probably sure still have their eyes on Whizzer and the Flumes for the same reason as they removed Orbit, a lack of parts for the rides from the 70s and increasing maintenance workload. I don't think it makes much sense after this year to remove it, as its line always matched or exceeded Demon's prior to ROTG VR, but Demon now has that increased popularity and Arrow is still supplying parts for their old coasters.

If and when Whizzer and Pictorium go, that's a lot of space that also connects to the service road area and front of the park, so they will have room to build either a long out and back coaster or an elongated twister, so I hope they use that space to build the 90+ mph coaster, whether that be a launched coaster or a giga/mega-hyper. The height doesn't really matter to me, but a taller coaster is of course a bigger draw for the GP.
Wisco Woody

Postby anewman35 on October 17th, 2016, 3:35 pm
People in the park would notice if Raging Bull was gone, but I suspect a lot of people would show up without knowing that.

As for the Whizzer - isn't the rumor that they actually decided to remove Shockwave because there was some problem with it that would have required major repairs or something?

But lots of parks have removed beloved rides, even after protests or whatever. People would get over it. People would CLAIM they were boycotting the park forever and would never come back, but those people would mostly be lying.

Again, I don't think they SHOULD remove Raging Bull. But if they had a really good reason (a new even better coaster, or a maybe giant new themed area with a few new major rides), I think they would take the short term hit of some people whining on Facebook.
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on October 17th, 2016, 6:36 pm
Regardless of what I said, a Halfpipe is fun & all but really wouldn't be a great addition. If one were to come here, I'd welcome it with open arms & would never expect anything less than a long wait for it. We know we need more people eaters, not low capacity attractions.

I really cannot get into it about this Raging Bull nonsense. It's a foolish idea I'll say that.

If I'm not mistaken, Premier, S&S, & Mack make parts for other companies including those that are no longer with us like Arrow & Schwarzkopf amongst those who are in the industry still.
gottastrata33

Postby great america fan on October 17th, 2016, 6:46 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, Premier, S&S, & Mack make parts for other companies including those that are no longer with us like Arrow & Schwarzkopf amongst those who are in the industry still.

S&S still makes parts for arrow since they are the ones who bought arrow after its final bankruptcy. as for Schwarzkopf I don't know who makes parts for them.
great america fan

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on October 17th, 2016, 7:24 pm
I think Mack or Gerstlauer has the Schwarzkopf Coaster parts, and HUSS has the flats.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby stergmi on October 17th, 2016, 8:06 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:I think Mack or Gerstlauer has the Schwarzkopf Coaster parts, and HUSS has the flats.

Yup. Which is why Enterprises are going away. HUSS isn't making the parts in an effort to sell the G2 models.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
stergmi

Postby staticshadows on October 17th, 2016, 9:40 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 18th, 2016, 6:09 pm
^ I honestly can't see Bull going for a VERY long time! It's got great capacity, is extremely popular and is still a great ride (including that "annoying" trim brake on top of the camelback hill).

And many people want Superman removed ASAP too, but that ride is also very popular. While it might not have enough elements besides that forceful pretzel, it's still a fun ride to go on. I think in reality, Demon and of course V2 are the rides that can go, in addition to the 2 flumes.

Some reasons to remove a ride would be one of the following:
a) ride has reached it's mechanical limits or is very expensive to maintain (The Orbit)
b) ride is no longer popular (Power Dive)
c) create space for a newer, presumably better ride (Shockwave leaving for Superman)
d) ride is dangerous or perceived as dangerous (I.e. The Edge)

Just my opinion.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby stergmi on October 18th, 2016, 6:31 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^ I honestly can't see Bull going for a VERY long time! It's got great capacity, is extremely popular and is still a great ride (including that "annoying" trim brake on top of the camelback hill).

And many people want Superman removed ASAP too, but that ride is also very popular. While it might not have enough elements besides that forceful pretzel, it's still a fun ride to go on. I think in reality, Demon and of course V2 are the rides that can go, in addition to the 2 flumes.

Some reasons to remove a ride would be one of the following:
a) ride has reached it's mechanical limits or is very expensive to maintain (The Orbit)
b) ride is no longer popular (Power Dive)
c) create space for a newer, presumably better ride (Shockwave leaving for Superman)
d) ride is dangerous or perceived as dangerous (I.e. The Edge)

Just my opinion.

I can still see Superman: Ultimate Line being removed from G-Am and relocated to STL as it accomplishes 2 things

1) Opens up a large footprint for a new attraction, like a nice 8 looper floorless
2) Gives STL a new coaster on the cheep cheep
stergmi

Postby AirTimeDaz on October 19th, 2016, 1:34 pm
Ok, I had a really vivid dream last night that condor was replaced with a condor/triple play hybrid type flat ride called Vulture; so imagine instead of the condor cars spinning horizontally, the arms are raised up 45 degrees once it climbed to the top.

It was so much fun to feel the little butterfly sensation that triple play provides 100+ feet in the air, so yea... I don't know if there is a such a ride that exists, but now I want to ride it in real life! 8)
AirTimeDaz

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on October 19th, 2016, 1:42 pm
If it were possible, I'd love that. Triple Play is one of my favorite flats, so having it perched 100 feet in the air would be incredible

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby gottastrata33 on October 19th, 2016, 3:03 pm
Haha omg back in the day I had a sketched idea of a B&M dive machine I called Vulture. It had a 180 degree swoop around after the top of the lift, circiling around before "diving at its prey". I had it all dark purple & black supports. ;)

So back to reality, does anyone else think we are gonna see a water park addition in 2018? I really think it's the year we see a Proslide hydromagnetic water coaster or whatever their true title is. I find this much more likely after the addition of SFFT's
gottastrata33

Postby RollingCoasting on October 19th, 2016, 4:07 pm
That'd definitely be my guess

My Predictions for new additions for the next 5 years:

2018 - Water Coaster in Hurricane Harbor. It'll have been 7 years since the last HH addition and a water coaster seems like it would fit in well. For location, Pictorium or that plot of sand would work. Also, MAYBE a Demon refurbishment.

2019: Flat pack including a Sky Screamer (Sky Trail's spot) and a Giant Discovery (Trailblazer's spot?)

2020: Launch Coaster - This is something a lot of people have been waiting for for a while. Possibly the Yamaha clone that was supposed to go to SFNE or maybe a custom. This could replace TDK or Winner's Circle Go-Karts.

2021: New big family area, possibly where Mardi Gras is

2022: New show
RollingCoasting

Postby Wisco Woody on October 19th, 2016, 4:41 pm
Demon doesn't need a refurb, it's already the smoothest and best Arrow looper in the Midwest by far, and they have been making it progressively smoother in the past 10 years. A water coaster is a good idea, but if it is for the dry park they likely will remove the flumes or the Rapids. And most won't like this, but Whizzer's last year will likely be 2018 or 2019, as maintenance on it is expensive and in the Park's view it is over 15 years due for removal.

Either way, if you look at the size of yearly additions, it usually alternates between big $12+ million additions, and lesser additions under $9 million, and Joker is only $7-8 million total, so perhaps we could be getting that epic package of a giant Discovery and Skyscreamer or other moderate thrill flat for 2018.
Wisco Woody

Postby RollingCoasting on October 19th, 2016, 4:51 pm
If ROTG fails and they don't want to re-furb it, it's likely that Demon will become scrap metal within the next 3 years.

Unlike Whizzer and V2, Demon is only popular during peak times (Fright Fest, Read to Suckceed, etc.) and it's probably just as hard to maintain as Whizzer.

Maybe they could squeeze in a new family looper (Mack?) to satisfy the people that think a family looper is necessary. Hell, give a DC Theme and put the entrance in Metropolis Plaza. +2

Maybe they could close the ride with an exorcist ceremony
RollingCoasting

Postby Jacklw6499 on October 19th, 2016, 7:04 pm
Take out V2 and the flumes and use that giant plot of land for a proper launch coaster. That would be such a sweet plot of land to work with.
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 20th, 2016, 1:39 pm
^ I agree with the V2 and flume removal! Demon's day's should be numbered as well.

Also, why remove TDK? That's a good family coaster.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on October 20th, 2016, 3:01 pm
Where is this obsession of removing V2 coming from?! It's a great coaster that takes up MINIMAL space. A coaster designed for that area can easily go to the side of V2. Keep it.
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 20th, 2016, 3:17 pm
^ In my opinion, V2 can go for these reasons :
* it frequently breaks down
* has very low capacity
* line can look short but take while to get on
* isn't really very thrilling

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on October 20th, 2016, 3:28 pm
I don't WANT V2 gone, but I just think that it's days are a lot more numbered than Whizzer or even Demon. It's outdated, unreliable, eats up a lot of power, and has clear signs of neglect(no repaint yet, no effort on repairing the holding brake, etc.). I like the ride, but I think it's going soon.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollingCoasting on October 20th, 2016, 3:59 pm
People assume it's going next because of unreliability and such, even though there's plently other rides at the park with similar issues. It's pretty possible considering what we just saw with Orbit, but I don't think it deserves to go next.

Here's what I think is on the chopping list:

Could be gone by 2020
Demon - Unpopular (in my opinion), rough (in my opinion), probably getting harder to maintain
Condor - I hate to admit it, but it's not the most reliable ride in the park and is declining in popularity
V2 - Maintenance, could be a new ride for a smaller park
Logger's Run/Yankee Clipper - (Might be) getting harder to maintain, takes up a fair bit of space
Revolution - If we get a Giant Discovery
Buccaneer Battle - Declining in popularity
King Chaos - Maintenance
MAYBE Big Easy Balloons - To make way for new rides

Could be gone by 2025
Whizzer - Maintenance. I think it'll play out longer than Demon and V2 but that ACE plaque isn't guaranteeing it a safe spot forever
Ricochet - HUSS rides are slowing starting to disappear (The company may soon, too)
Triple Play - Read Above
Kidzopolis - Maybe a new kiddie area somewhere else and GAR brought back (With new track, of course) in Kidzopolis' spot

Could be gone by 2030
Joker - This one is just a guess. It might be hard to maintain, it has bad capacity, and will probably have lost some popularity
Superman - Popular ride yes, but it sits on a fair bit of space and might lose some popularity to other rides over the years
Batman - Please no one kill me for this one. I do not in anyway want Batman to go, but who knows what will happen by 2030. It will be 38 years old and probably not be rough or hard to maintain, but you never know

I am NOT saying any of these WILL be removed, they could all be here in 2090, but this is what I think may happen. (Except I don't think they'd remove ALL of the rides I listed for 2020 in that timeframe)
RollingCoasting

Postby great america fan on October 20th, 2016, 4:07 pm
In my opinion these are the rides on the short list for removal.
1. Pictorium due to decline of popularity most likely would be replaced by a launch or water coaster.
2. V2 due decline in popularity and high operating costs most likely replaced with a flat ride package.
3. Camp cartoon outdated most likely replaced with bugs bunny boom town taking up the go carts area.
4. Picnic grove outdated either replaced by a new coaster or themed area. new picnic area constructed behind funnel cake foundry.
5. Demon decline in popularity either will get the blue hawk treatment or torn out completely
great america fan

Postby gottastrata33 on October 20th, 2016, 4:54 pm
Let's just ask Intamin to build us a new Wicked Twister impulse model ;D I think V2 looks so great in our skyline & still impresses many people. Sooo just give us a better one haha I'll miss it too much if it's removed so I'm just thinking of ways to "keep" it without keeping it HAHA
gottastrata33

Postby jmanporty7 on October 20th, 2016, 5:46 pm
Rides possibly on the chopping block in my opinion by 2025
- Flumes
- V2
- Camp Cartoon
- Demon
- Revolution
- Buccaneer Battle
- King Chaos
- Condor
- Ricochet