Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

V2's Last Year?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2016, 2:12 pm
CoasterDemon wrote:
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Six Flags doesn't have much space.

*Facepalm* They have PLENTY of space. They will always have enough space to build the biggest, longest (will never happen) coaster or any ride they want. Google Grona Lund, Liseberg, Indiana Beach, Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

I was just at Cedar Point the last 2 days, and it's also funny how the whole "Cedar Point is running out of space" discussions go down. There is TONS of available space there. Coasters can go over, under and through anything (walkways, other rides, etc.) The sheer amount of unused plain "lawn" space there is staggering.

I think it's less a question of space and more a question of how many rides they want to run. Every ride costs money to run and maintain and after a certain point there are diminishing returns. That's why I've always assumed they took out IW and RC when they did. A park with more rides costs more to run, but they can't necessarily charge more to get in...
anewman35

Postby staticshadows on August 31st, 2016, 2:42 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 31st, 2016, 3:02 pm
Wisco Woody wrote:^ Definitely a great idea. I believe the eventual launch coaster, definitely a part of the Park's 5 to 7 year plan post Goliath, is likely to replace either Whizzer/Pictorium or the Demon. In this scenario, they should definitely keep V2, as it hasn't suffered much downtime in comparison the last couple years.

But if they wanted a $20 million + launch coaster that incorporates the water like Maverick or an Aquatrax, then yes it would be almost assured that they will remove V2 and both of the flumes. Whatever and whenever it ends up being, I hope it is the 80+ mph coaster we need, as it is extremely unlikely that we will even be considered for a giga, mega-hyper, or strata coaster before 2023 or so.

I love the idea of a launch coaster! However, I don't think we'll ever see Whizzer come down due to it's being such a popular and valuable ride. Also, I honestly don't see any more parks building strata coasters in the likes of Kingda Ka or Top Thrill. They are super expensive to maintain and have low capacity.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Foltzy on August 31st, 2016, 6:45 pm
I would kinda miss V2 if it closed. I enjoy it from time to time. That is, when it's open.

Maybe they'll fix the holding brake and retheme it for next year
Foltzy

Postby RollingCoasting on August 31st, 2016, 6:56 pm
Demon needs to go first, in my opinion
RollingCoasting

Postby stergmi on August 31st, 2016, 8:01 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:Demon needs to go first, in my opinion

#ArrowsMatter
stergmi

Postby JaminOut on August 31st, 2016, 8:06 pm

#ViperBonfire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby stergmi on August 31st, 2016, 8:07 pm
JaminOut wrote:

#ViperBonfire

#WTFMate
stergmi

Postby Jeffrey Smith on August 31st, 2016, 9:20 pm
I've been thinking that they will remove Loggers Run and Yankee Clipper for a long time. There both old, an eye sore, and must be costing the park a decent amount to keep running. What if for 2018 they get rid of LR, YC, and V2 and replace them with large launched coaster. To me that would be awesome and would fill the parks need for a full launched coaster.
Jeffrey Smith

Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2016, 10:04 pm
Jeffrey Smith wrote:I've been thinking that they will remove Loggers Run and Yankee Clipper for a long time. There both old, an eye sore, and must be costing the park a decent amount to keep running. What if for 2018 they get rid of LR, YC, and V2 and replace them with large launched coaster. To me that would be awesome and would fill the parks need for a full launched coaster.

I would hope they could do something like that but keep V2. Giving up three rides for one is kinda rough.
anewman35

Postby WolfRaging95 on August 31st, 2016, 11:14 pm
Take this with a grain of salt. I have heard that V2 is on the list to be removed in the future. Management does not like the ride.
WolfRaging95

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 1st, 2016, 1:00 pm
Taron looks amazing! A very long ride too 4,330.8 ft and a decent capacity 1200 rph. (from rcdb.com)

Question: do launched rides in general cost more to maintain than ride with a traditional lift hill?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 1st, 2016, 1:02 pm
JaminOut wrote:

#ViperBonfire

I agree with the Viper going. As long as Eagle stays put, we don't need Viper. That spot can hold something like Maverick or one of those Chance Hyper GT-X Coasters. I'm also not giving up on a dream of getting a giga but that won't happen soon in my opinion.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on September 1st, 2016, 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby RollingCoasting on September 1st, 2016, 1:04 pm
You guys are sick people..... XD

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
RollingCoasting

Postby Mean Streaker on September 1st, 2016, 2:24 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:You guys are sick people..... XD

Viper is good but shouldn't leave before Demon. V2 or TDK should leave before either though.
Mean Streaker

Postby stergmi on September 1st, 2016, 3:15 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
JaminOut wrote:

#ViperBonfire

I agree with the Viper going. As long as Eagle stays put, we don't need Viper. That spot can hold something like Maverick or one of those Chance Hyper GT-X Coasters. I'm also not giving up on a dream of getting a giga but that won't happen soon in my opinion.

Viper's existence isn't holding us back from those rides. SF not wanting to drop $20M on an Intamin is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
stergmi

Postby Mean Streaker on September 1st, 2016, 3:20 pm
I think the next coaster on the chopping block should be The Joker.
Mean Streaker

Postby RollingCoasting on September 1st, 2016, 4:05 pm
Dude seriously? Atleast try it first (Unless you're joking :p)
RollingCoasting

Postby bbd on September 1st, 2016, 4:23 pm
Mean Streaker wrote:I think the next coaster on the chopping block should be The Joker.

Yes.
bbd

Postby Mean Streaker on September 1st, 2016, 4:28 pm
Yes I'm only "joking". It looks like a good addition, maybe not a must ride though. The placement looks like a good use of space and should revive a less popular area of the park. My only complaint is the support colors, I'd rather have them be black.
Mean Streaker

Postby RollingCoasting on September 1st, 2016, 4:57 pm
Really? I think these look 10 times better

RollingCoasting

Postby Mean Streaker on September 1st, 2016, 6:18 pm
I'll have to see them in real life.
Mean Streaker

Postby Goku1910 on September 4th, 2016, 10:11 pm
There's actually a bit of evidence to support this particular area having some major changes coming. Survey markers normally appear within one to two years before something happens.

There have been flags found in picnic grove right up against the railroad tracks.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby CoasterCale on September 21st, 2016, 8:15 am
V2 is popular when it is open. Same went for DejaVu. It's life is limited and barely fits our need for a launched coaster. Pretty much any other full circuit model would be better, whether it be a Sky Rocket, or a on old school Spaghetti Bowl. Hell even, The Freeze models are better. As for the flumes, they are in good shape, and are also popular while open. Personally I like Loggers more than Yankee, but that might just be me. We don't need a dark ride anymore so I don't see any kind of conversions or upgrades coming to either.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby RollingCoasting on September 26th, 2016, 10:35 pm
I doubt the flags had anything to do with V2 being removed unless they're planning for the next coaster all ready.
RollingCoasting

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum