Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

V2's Last Year?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 30th, 2016, 6:56 pm
Hey, everyone!!
Could 2017 be V2's last year? To make room for a new coaster (possibly 2018 or 2019) Six Flags doesn't have much space. If they remove the flumes AND V2, there would be a big area of land for a new addition. Since its a "lake" a coaster would look awesome. Tell me your thoughts!
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on August 30th, 2016, 7:04 pm
I don't think so. If I had to guess where the next big coaster goes, I think it uses the Go Karts and Bucky Battle. Just a thought.
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby RollingCoasting on August 30th, 2016, 7:08 pm
I think this could go in the 2017 Thread :p
RollingCoasting

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 30th, 2016, 7:09 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:I think this could go in the 2017 Thread :p

Well,
It's for 2018, but I guess so
SFGAM_Hog

Postby dlmtechnology on August 30th, 2016, 7:13 pm
I never understand the call for removal of the flumes, while I can understand possibly removing Yankee Clipper as its never open but on the busiest of days. Couldn't there be something that could be designed to coast in-between the the "lake" of both of them.

Leave me one flume at least please!
dlmtechnology

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 30th, 2016, 7:16 pm
dlmtechnology wrote:I never understand the call for removal of the flumes, while I can understand possibly removing Yankee Clipper as its never open but on the busiest of days. Couldn't there be something that could be designed to coast in-between the the "lake" of both of them.

Haha. I like the flumes too, but I just said to get rid of it because no one seems to enjoy them :/
SFGAM_Hog

Postby stergmi on August 30th, 2016, 7:26 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:
dlmtechnology wrote:I never understand the call for removal of the flumes, while I can understand possibly removing Yankee Clipper as its never open but on the busiest of days. Couldn't there be something that could be designed to coast in-between the the "lake" of both of them.

Haha. I like the flumes too, but I just said to get rid of it because no one seems to enjoy them :/

Flumes have a definite expiration date. For the ride track and the logs/boats themselves. Look at Busch Gardens Williamsburg and the decision they had to make regarding Le Scoot (an Arrow log flume just like ours built a year earlier). Quite frankly, our flumes aren't great. No theming. More of a "look at the park from high up aaaaaaaaaaaand you're wet".

http://bgwfans.com/2016/saving-le-scoot/
stergmi

Postby anewman35 on August 30th, 2016, 7:37 pm
stergmi wrote:Flumes have a definite expiration date. For the ride track and the logs/boats themselves. Look at Busch Gardens Williamsburg and the decision they had to make regarding Le Scoot (an Arrow log flume just like ours built a year earlier). Quite frankly, our flumes aren't great. No theming. More of a "look at the park from high up aaaaaaaaaaaand you're wet".

What, you don't think Six Flags would spend a bunch of time and money on two rides that aren't very popular?
anewman35

Postby stergmi on August 30th, 2016, 7:39 pm
anewman35 wrote:
stergmi wrote:Flumes have a definite expiration date. For the ride track and the logs/boats themselves. Look at Busch Gardens Williamsburg and the decision they had to make regarding Le Scoot (an Arrow log flume just like ours built a year earlier). Quite frankly, our flumes aren't great. No theming. More of a "look at the park from high up aaaaaaaaaaaand you're wet".

What, you don't think Six Flags would spend a bunch of time and money on two rides that aren't very popular?

And spend their annual new ride budget to refurb 2 40 yr old rides without being able to market them as new rides?

Uhhhh......

Yes?
stergmi

Postby great america fan on August 30th, 2016, 8:05 pm
^^^ two thing I could definitely see six flags at some point covering some of the ride and advertise it as a water dark ride
2 the flumes in reality aren't in that bad of shape there's no rust it's just that they haven't been painted in years
great america fan

Postby Mean Streaker on August 30th, 2016, 8:43 pm
As I pointed out before all of the V2 merchandise is on clearance at the park. But I don't think this is V2's last year. I'm predicting V2's close after 2017 and something will take it's place in 2018.

I'm also predicting the flumes will be replaced with a new water/dark ride soon after.
Mean Streaker

Postby coasterkidd100 on August 30th, 2016, 8:48 pm
I would personally be pretty sad if they decided to close V2 next year. I really do enjoy it for some reason and I always feel like I have to ride it when I'm at the park. I honestly don't see it closing next year but I guess time will tell.
coasterkidd100

Postby stergmi on August 30th, 2016, 8:57 pm
coasterkidd100 wrote:I would personally be pretty sad if they decided to close V2 next year. I really do enjoy it for some reason and I always feel like I have to ride it when I'm at the park. I honestly don't see it closing next year but I guess time will tell.

V2 despite being a capacity nightmare still draws decent ridership. Plus both flumes sit on a ton of space. You can easily put in a coaster back there and keep V2.
stergmi

Postby aaron60060 on August 30th, 2016, 8:58 pm
I'm all for the Log Flumes being redone, but not removed. Almost all of us want LR / YK gone. We want all of that space to be used for one or more coasters, flats, etc. The issues with removing them are:

1. For many kids, the log flumes are the highest they've ever been on any kind of ride.
2. Log Flumes can be sold to kids by parents since they're exciting, high up, and reasonably long.
3. For 2 months, the relief from scorching weather provided is amazing.
4. It's a classic, something that TONS of parents went on as kids, and are now encouraged by familiarity to make a return to the park.
5. During the heat, these rides often have 45+ minute waits.

Those in mind, I'd tear the flumes down, and rebuild one where Logger's run was. Most of the space would then be used for a launch coaster in the vein of Taron :D
aaron60060

Postby Mean Streaker on August 30th, 2016, 10:01 pm
I don't want the flumes removed without them being replaced by a better water ride.

What ever happened to everyone wanting BB to be taken out?
Mean Streaker

Postby Mean Streaker on August 30th, 2016, 11:19 pm
So if we're getting a freespin in 2017 do you think they would close a coaster? Maybe a certain yellow shuttle coaster? Maybe I was right about the merchandise clearance?
Mean Streaker

Postby JaminOut on August 30th, 2016, 11:55 pm
They removed RC before Goliath and Iron Wolf before X-Flight...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby Mean Streaker on August 31st, 2016, 12:25 am
Exactly.

I really don't want V2 to leave yet, at least not until we get a launched coaster
Mean Streaker

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 31st, 2016, 2:04 am
This makes no sense. If shirts are on sale this year, than people should say that V2 is not going to open up for 2017 at all. Instead, people are creating a rumor about 2017 being V2's last year. Why would they be selling clearance shirts THIS YEAR if V2 is leaving at the end of next year?? You would still keep the shirts for next year. Unlike other rides like Batman / Superman which are DC branded names, V2 is only at one other Six Flags park. So, they can't even ship V2 shirts to Six Flags Fiesta Texas for instance if they didn't sell at Great America.

They didn't take out a roller coaster at the end of this year, but supposedly it's supposed to be Orbit and Jester's leaving. Who knows though? How many more rides do you want them to get rid of in a year if that's 2 leaving?

For a new roller coaster (other than 2017), why wouldn't the park take out a ride by the name of Buccaneer Battle. A ride that as of this year is only open for 4 hours a day - (2-6pm). What about Pictorium becoming a waste of space? At this point though, who cares about another roller coaster after 2017.

What people haven't discussed is maybe they are going to retheme V2 to a Batman themed ride. If the new ride is Joker something, and you have Batman the Ride right there, that's already 2 Batman themed rides in the area. V2 needs paint in my opinion. So, let's say they retheme & paint it to the Riddler. Than, you have a new area of Gotham City. Six Flags Over Texas repainted their Triple Play to Harley Quin, and than added a Riddler, and a Catwoman ride.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Wisco Woody on August 31st, 2016, 2:28 am
^ Definitely a great idea. I believe the eventual launch coaster, definitely a part of the Park's 5 to 7 year plan post Goliath, is likely to replace either Whizzer/Pictorium or the Demon. In this scenario, they should definitely keep V2, as it hasn't suffered much downtime in comparison the last couple years.

But if they wanted a $20 million + launch coaster that incorporates the water like Maverick or an Aquatrax, then yes it would be almost assured that they will remove V2 and both of the flumes. Whatever and whenever it ends up being, I hope it is the 80+ mph coaster we need, as it is extremely unlikely that we will even be considered for a giga, mega-hyper, or strata coaster before 2023 or so.
Wisco Woody

Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2016, 8:38 am
I see no evidence that Six Flags, as currently run, has any intention of spending that much on a single ride ever again. Obviously anything can happen, but it really seems to me that they've decided that the return on that kind of ride isn't worth it, because it's been forever since they've built one and it doesn't seem like anything big is on the docket any time soon.
anewman35

Postby Mean Streaker on August 31st, 2016, 10:28 am
Maybe V2 is being rethemed to Joker...
Mean Streaker

Postby Muck Finnesota on August 31st, 2016, 12:24 pm
Mean Streaker wrote:
I'm also predicting the flumes will be replaced with a new water/dark ride soon after.

Hopefully they're ok for a few years on dark rides now.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby Mean Streaker on August 31st, 2016, 1:02 pm
Muck Finnesota wrote:
Mean Streaker wrote:

Hopefully they're ok for a few years on dark rides now.

Well not really a complete dark ride but a themed flume.
Mean Streaker

Postby CoasterDemon on August 31st, 2016, 1:42 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Six Flags doesn't have much space.

*Facepalm* They have PLENTY of space. They will always have enough space to build the biggest, longest (will never happen) coaster or any ride they want. Google Grona Lund, Liseberg, Indiana Beach, Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

I was just at Cedar Point the last 2 days, and it's also funny how the whole "Cedar Point is running out of space" discussions go down. There is TONS of available space there. Coasters can go over, under and through anything (walkways, other rides, etc.) The sheer amount of unused plain "lawn" space there is staggering.
CoasterDemon

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum