Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Could Holiday In The Park come to SFGAm? JRA says "Maybe"

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby coasterrider2 on November 1st, 2015, 1:54 am
Rue le dodge and whizzer wouldn't be able to be open. Whizzer already struggles at cold temps during FF and pre-season, it wouldn't ever make it during the winter. Dodge has issues with moisture on the floor, so cold+snow would be problematic.
coasterrider2

Postby anewman35 on November 1st, 2015, 12:08 pm
[jonrev] wrote:If this happens, there's probably zero chance of them opening the entire park, let alone any of the major coasters.

Great Adventure plans to open a few of their B&M coasters ("Coaster fans can challenge world-class rides like Nitro, BATMAN™: The Ride, THE GREEN LANTERN and SUPERMAN – Ultimate Flight, THE DARK KNIGHT Coaster and Skull Mountain, weather permitting.), so I don't see why Great America wouldn't be able to do the same thing.
anewman35

Postby [jonrev] on November 1st, 2015, 6:25 pm
In that case, the next question is how much would starting offseason maintenance that late - particularly on the Swiss coasters - further screw-up operations for next year's opening day.
[jonrev]

Postby anewman35 on December 27th, 2015, 2:48 pm
In retrospect, this would have been a pretty great year weatherwise for us to do Holiday in the Park here (and I think it's also been even warmer weather in New Jersey, anybody know how that did for them?) Of course, they could easily decide to do it next year and have the whole season be a snowy mess...
anewman35

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on December 27th, 2015, 3:51 pm
I think we just need to wait for El Niño to come back, as that's what probably caused this warm weather.

HITP 2019-2020?

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Coaster Justin on December 29th, 2015, 12:09 am
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:I think we just need to wait for El Niño to come back, as that's what probably caused this warm weather.

HITP 2019-2020?

And then today happened. :lol:
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on December 29th, 2015, 12:35 am
^Well I'd doubt that SFGAm would go past Christmas if we do HITP. If I had to guess a schedule, it'd probably be the Saturday after Black Friday-the sunday before Christmas(eve).

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollerCoasterFavRide on December 29th, 2015, 11:16 am
It looks like New Jersey's HITP is still running through January 3rd and started November 21st. I really wish they had it here. There were plenty of times the weather was good enough I would have gone this year. I think my kid would have really enjoyed some coasters, hot chocolate, and some holiday theme while walking around the park. I think some days we've had this month are warmer than some of the days we've visited during FF.
RollerCoasterFavRide

Postby Necropolis on January 26th, 2016, 4:18 am
I am not sure if any coasters would open, maybe the indoor ones only. But I think a few horse drawn carriages throughout the park would be cool. Sell a limited amount of tickets and perhaps utilize the parking lot as well for the carriages to walk through. The park can be decorated into a winter wonderland all around, or maybe only in the areas where the horses pull the people through. SInce there would be a limited amount of tickets, parking might not be an issue plus cold weather isn't something everyone is fond and people holiday travel so there might not be a worry for people fighting to buy a tickets. This might be a crazy idea but it can always be a fantasy in my mind lol. :lol:
Necropolis

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on January 26th, 2016, 8:31 am
Imagine a light show that stretches around the entire park...

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Necropolis on January 27th, 2016, 2:21 am
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Imagine a light show that stretches around the entire park...

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Oh my, I'd probably be able to see it from my house and I live about a 40 min drive from Six Flags or I'd be able to see it from downtown Chicago haha.
Necropolis

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on January 27th, 2016, 11:19 am
^I'm not talking about an igNight sized show, rather something like the entrance to HH in Fright Fest, just lights synced to music that hangs overhead on trees and light posts.

That would look really cool.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Necropolis on January 27th, 2016, 2:14 pm
I agree. That definitely would look cool. It would set the tone throughout the park. I personally would like to hear different music in different parts of the park rather than the same thing in every area. Serve hot chocolate stands, warm funnel cakes. Even if no coasters opened, there would still be people that would attend for sure. Would our park be the first to launch such an event? I'm pretty sure in warmer regions, winter themed parks have happened lol.
Necropolis

Postby anewman35 on January 27th, 2016, 7:29 pm
Necropolis wrote:I agree. That definitely would look cool. It would set the tone throughout the park. I personally would like to hear different music in different parts of the park rather than the same thing in every area. Serve hot chocolate stands, warm funnel cakes. Even if no coasters opened, there would still be people that would attend for sure. Would our park be the first to launch such an event? I'm pretty sure in warmer regions, winter themed parks have happened lol.

The Southern Six Flags parks all do it, and this year Great Adventure did (which is I think what made people think it was possible at Great America). They had a few of their coasters open, too. Hopefully it'll happen here one year...
anewman35

Postby Necropolis on January 30th, 2016, 2:10 am
anewman35 wrote:
Necropolis wrote:I agree. That definitely would look cool. It would set the tone throughout the park. I personally would like to hear different music in different parts of the park rather than the same thing in every area. Serve hot chocolate stands, warm funnel cakes. Even if no coasters opened, there would still be people that would attend for sure. Would our park be the first to launch such an event? I'm pretty sure in warmer regions, winter themed parks have happened lol.

The Southern Six Flags parks all do it, and this year Great Adventure did (which is I think what made people think it was possible at Great America). They had a few of their coasters open, too. Hopefully it'll happen here one year...

Petition? lol
Necropolis

Postby Coaster Justin on January 30th, 2016, 4:50 pm
anewman35 wrote:

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom does as well.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on February 16th, 2016, 5:03 pm
dlmtechnology wrote:
Iron Wolf 90-11 wrote:They could also turn the pond in front of Columbia Carousel into an ice skating rink.

I don't think they would do this, the reflection pond is nothing more then a mini in-ground pool and it has underground pipes that need to be winterized else they burst....blowing out the lines, filling them with pool anti-freeze, plugging the tubes and then refilling the pond and hoping that the ice forms on top or installing some sort of cooling system to keep the water frozen and hoping that all of this doesn't knock the plugs out and start mixing with the anti-freeze is not something I think they would want to do....I know with my pool I wouldn't even think of risking that.

Then there is the idea of getting a zamboni up there to smooth the ice every day, not to mention, who wants to wear Six Flag Ice Skates that probably cost $50 to rent for the day.

California's Great America announced WinterFest for the 2016 season. They said in a press release that you could "skate in front of the iconic Carousel Columbia". Although not specifically said, it seems they will use pond in front of the carousel for skating. And if they can do it there I'm sure they could do it here.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby staticshadows on February 18th, 2016, 9:44 am
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby MrsTaxi on February 19th, 2016, 2:11 am
staticshadows wrote:We aren't getting Holiday in the Park this year. They said on the earnings call that it is being expanded to Six Flags St Louis and Six Flags America this year.

:( Maybe next season.
MrsTaxi

Postby RollerCoasterFavRide on February 19th, 2016, 12:55 pm
staticshadows wrote:We aren't getting Holiday in the Park this year. They said on the earnings call that it is being expanded to Six Flags St Louis and Six Flags America this year.

Well, that stinks. Maybe we'll do a road trip down to St. Louis. It's close enough and will give us something to do during the holiday season!
RollerCoasterFavRide

Postby Tardis1972 on September 6th, 2016, 8:56 pm
I know its been a long time since somebody posted in this thread but I really hope HITP comes either in 2017 or 18.
Tardis1972

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on September 6th, 2016, 11:20 pm
I personally hope so too, but I'm not sure how beneficial it would be here compared to other parks with warmer winters.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby RollingCoasting on September 7th, 2016, 9:37 am
Count Me in on the list of people who want HITP. Don't really care for the decorations and such, just want the season to be longer :p

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
RollingCoasting

Postby RollingCoasting on November 23rd, 2016, 4:03 am
Looks like SFGAm is one of 2 parks in the chain that doesn't have HITP in the park this year (Other is La Ronde)

Hoping for 2017
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on November 23rd, 2016, 4:14 am
^Great Escape and New England?

Guy_With_A_Stick

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum