Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

New for 2013: igNIGHT: Grand Finale

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby sfgam1 on August 30th, 2012, 8:27 am
GURNEE, Ill. — August 30, 2012 — Get ready to igNIGHT the evenings in 2013! Six Flags Great
America today announced plans to add the most technologically advanced show in the park’s 37-
year history. This nighttime production features singing, dancing, pyrotechnics, video and laser
elements that burst with energy, imagery and imagination.

igNIGHT, will serve as a finale to a thrill-filled day at Six Flags Great America by taking Guests on a
journey to a never-before-seen world with vibrant, state-of-the-art lighting and sound. By utilizing
pyrotechnics, video technology, laser lighting, immersive sensory effects and guest interaction,
spectators will feel as if they have stepped into a multimedia universe with a spectacular finish that
reaches new heights.

“Our guests have been enjoying immersive nighttime experiences for years. igNIGHT — Grand
Finale is going to blow away their expectations,” said park president Hank Salemi.

igNIGHT — Grand Finale will take place in Hometown Square, which will be renovated to enhance
the Guest experience and is planned to open summer 2013. Guests to Six Flags Great America can
also experience X Flight, an impressive new wing coaster which opened in May 2012 to rave
reviews.
sfgam1

Postby alexlohan on August 30th, 2012, 9:18 am
my anaconda don't
Last edited by alexlohan on September 2nd, 2019, 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexlohan

Postby putuhs84 on August 30th, 2012, 9:52 am
It also says they are Remodeling Hometown Square... Obviously to make it Pyro friendly and such! Should be interesting!
putuhs84

Postby cab0218 on August 30th, 2012, 10:05 am
I would much rather them fix American Eagle than have this.
cab0218

Postby Corkscrew07 on August 30th, 2012, 10:13 am
There's nothing wrong with Eagle it's a spectacular ride.

We can't expect a new thrill ride every year! But look at all the new additions across the board! Sounds like 2013 will be an excellent year! I can't wait to see what they'll do next!
Corkscrew07

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 30th, 2012, 10:14 am
I would also like to remind people the bad news for next year if you are just buying one pass. For next year, it's going to cost you a lot more money to get into any other Six Flags park unless you buy 4 passes, and get a free upgrade to a Gold pass. The reason is because now they are having 2 separate passes. One you get free admission to every Six Flags park, and free parking, and one you only get admission to SFGAm, and that's it. The gold pass is $140 unless you buy 4 of them, and get the upgrade free.

This show seems like it's getting somewhat recycled from Six Flags Over Georgia I think. They had a show like this in a theater that had those type of costumes plus you probably have Glow in the Park costumes also.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby alexlohan on August 30th, 2012, 10:22 am
my anaconda don't
Last edited by alexlohan on September 2nd, 2019, 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexlohan

Postby DeathbyDinn on August 30th, 2012, 10:23 am
^^ A regular season pass still has admission to every six flags park and all the perks it had this year. The only difference with a gold pass is that you get free parking at every park, first entry to the water park, and extra bring a friend free tickets.

http://content.sixflags.com/greatameric ... seasonpass
DeathbyDinn

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 30th, 2012, 10:26 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:One you get free admission to every Six Flags park, and free parking, and one you only get admission to SFGAm, and that's it.

http://content.sixflags.com/greatameric ... seasonpass

Other Six Flags Parks — Free!
Your Six Flags Great America Season Pass will grant you admission to Six Flags St. Louis and Six Flags Theme Parks around the country.

You should really read the page and actually look at the details before commenting. That way you might avoid posting something that makes you look like a complete moron.
Last edited by DejaVu2001 on August 30th, 2012, 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
DejaVu2001

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 30th, 2012, 10:31 am
^I read #3 wrong, so sorry. :roll: I don't even understand why they need to have a number 2 and a number 3 if number 3 includes number 2.

Here's Iluminate from Six Flags Over Georgia - just a clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJXFcWpn0Vk
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Johnny.Ink on August 30th, 2012, 10:43 am
I'm also bummed that they are killing the Xtreme pass. We really had a lot of fun with that this season.

I also asked if they have decided if they will keep the meal pass, and they didn't know as of yet. But that seemed like a cash cow and would be awesome if they kept it.

As for this new light show, it sounds cool, and we will surely check it out at least once. I wonder if they will be shutting rides down for it like they have done for the Glow in the Dark Parade (I think Superman, Condor, King Chaos etc get shut down).

This just seemed like it was destined to dissapoint the public no matter what it was - Skyscreamer, new flat package, etc....just no pleasing folks sometimes...
Johnny.Ink

Postby alexlohan on August 30th, 2012, 11:20 am
my anaconda don't
Last edited by alexlohan on September 2nd, 2019, 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexlohan

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 30th, 2012, 11:36 am
Johnny.Ink wrote:I wonder if they will be shutting rides down for it like they have done for the Glow in the Dark Parade (I think Superman, Condor, King Chaos etc get shut down).

Rides that closed for Glow: Hometown Fun Machine, Triple Play, Sky Trek Tower (2010 and 2011 only), Condor, King Chaos, and Big Easy Balloons. The only ride I would expect to close for igNIGHT is Triple Play.
DejaVu2001

Postby LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm on August 30th, 2012, 12:01 pm
Did they give out any information on how they are remodeling Hometown Square? I really hope they don't tear apart the theme of the area to add for this show.

In my opinion, I do think this is a great addition to the park. I was reading some of the comments on their Facebook page that SFGAm is just copying Cedar Point. What park DOESN'T copy each other. We get a wing coaster, they get a wing coaster. etc. I enjoy the fact that we get a good show and I hope they keep it that way and not let it rot by using crappy performers and low budget fireworks in the years to come. I am sure SFGAm didn't want to add in another thrill ride on purpose. It all has to do with revenue and good management. SFGAm has been in the business for over 30 years, they know what they are doing. It really bothers me that the general public will become so angry and say the dumbest things on Facebook whenever we don't install a new thrill ride. Where do they expect us to add all these thrill rides and pay for them? Cedar Point is a thrill park, but in my opinion, it doesn't give out the family and theme park vibe like Six Flags does. It's basically a parking lot with roller coasters. SFGAm is a real theme park that also brings in many thrills.

Kudos to SFGAm for adding on this wonderful attraction.

(p.s. I am copying and pasting this onto the Six Flags Facebook page :lol: )
No matter how hard it is...Never EVER give up. The real failure is those who dont try.
LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 30th, 2012, 1:34 pm
^I think it's going to be different than Cedar Points. This to me LOOKS like a dance and light show based on the America's Got Talent Light people. Cedar Points on the other hand is more of a dance and singing popular music show. Basically, what both shows are, are a typical theater show done outside, and they added fireworks. SFGAm copied the idea of outside from Cedar Point, but yet the show idea is something they had at other Six Flags parks previously indoors.

Personally, I would rather have had Cedar Point's singing version as long as the people actually sing the entire song, and not just background (unlike Pop Fusion) than this type.
Ilovthevu'

Postby putuhs84 on August 30th, 2012, 1:43 pm
Well, you figure, They will need to build a stage, and a large enough area to able to have all of the Pyro and fireworks and such without Burning down anything... Tree's, Buildings and such! I Suspect something has to go. Maybe Pass Processing moving to the Front of the park?

Who knows! Eitherway, they are going to have to make Hometown Square BIGGER, A LOT BIGGER and tons of room for people to crowd around.

My Guess is that they will just REMODEL the train station area, the stage in front of it. Maybe even move the Train Station to the other side of the tracks and enter by the Ferris Wheel?
putuhs84

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 30th, 2012, 1:45 pm
putuhs84 wrote:enter by the Ferris Wheel?

Enter by the WHAT?!? :lol:
DejaVu2001

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 30th, 2012, 1:57 pm
They have been repainting the train station in Hometown Square this year. They always use that "platform" right in front of the train station. What type of remodeling would they really do for that platform? I would expect them maybe to get rid of the gazebo to free up more room, or move it all the way to the back. You are going to have a lot of people standing in front of the train station, so maybe they get rid of some flower sections & grass.
Ilovthevu'

Postby xcheetaht on August 30th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Bummer! I won't go to Six Flags Great America for next year UNLESS they get a new roller coaster :x Fortunately, I live in the northwestern suburb of Los Angeles which means I can go to Six Flags Magic Mountain for new Full Throttle!

I hope Six Flags Great America can get a new starflyer for 2014.
xcheetaht

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 30th, 2012, 2:22 pm
xcheetaht wrote:Bummer! I won't go to Six Flags Great America for next year UNLESS they get a new roller coaster :x

I hope Six Flags Great America can get a new starflyer for 2014.

Pick ONE :roll: Or just stay at Magic Mountain.
DejaVu2001

Postby xcheetaht on August 30th, 2012, 2:38 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:Pick ONE :roll: Or just stay at Magic Mountain.

You don't know me. I have two houses in Los Angeles and Chicago. I only visit my mother in Chicago during summer every year. Now I live with my father in Los Angeles. I'd rather pick both.
xcheetaht

Postby ViperFTW on August 30th, 2012, 3:05 pm
Everyone was complaining on the Six Flags facebook page, so this is what they said:

"Nobody said we dont have more tricks up our sleeves for 2013"

Hm...could this mean anything more? :?
ViperFTW

Postby DeathbyDinn on August 30th, 2012, 3:08 pm
Not a new ride, but maybe something backwards?
DeathbyDinn

Postby sfgamguy on August 30th, 2012, 3:55 pm
putuhs84 wrote:I Suspect something has to go. Maybe Pass Processing moving to the Front of the park?

Although they could easily move Pass Processing, there is basically no way they will demolish that building. The second floor is the Park Operations Office (Park Ops), full of offices/conference rooms for Rides and Park Services departments. It would be hard to find another "Park Base". Not that it isn't possible, but I believe it is unlikely.
I'm guessing they will take out the flower beds/grass/small fenced area to free up a lot of space. That would create a lot of standing room.

EDIT: Also, from the video they posted, (I know it is a mash-up of a lot of things from other parks) it showed water screens, like from World of Color or Fantasmic from the Disney Parks... Do you think we will have these or will video be projected onto something else? Buildings? Smoke Screens? The only problem with water screens is that you need a base of water, like a pond or lagoon... Which we do not have in Home Town Square...
Video of a water screen if you don't know what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaxqG8UTSKw&feature=player_detailpage#t=344s
sfgamguy

Postby BURTONxBLUNT on August 30th, 2012, 4:17 pm
DeathbyDinn wrote:Not a new ride, but maybe something backwards?

When i saw their post that is what i was thinking :P
SFGAm Visits 2016 - 81
BURTONxBLUNT

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum