Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

X-Flight new for 2012

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Brogrammer on January 27th, 2012, 2:21 pm
^Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing! :)
Brogrammer

Postby CstrFan512 on January 27th, 2012, 2:42 pm
Theyve added another piece. This one looks like the start of the inversion drop
CstrFan512

Postby Goku1910 on January 27th, 2012, 2:57 pm
Great pictures Rob!!
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby ttd rox on January 27th, 2012, 3:01 pm
Yes, great photos Mr. Rob! They have started on the roll that will dive into the inverted drop.
Top 3 Steel Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)

Top 3 Wood Coasters: 1. The Beast 2. American Eagle (Red) 3. Hades
ttd rox

Postby CoasterZ on January 27th, 2012, 3:02 pm
this may be selfish cause not all six flags put up webcams... but for the love of god i wish they would move it to a different location lol...

and yeah looks like they are going into the inversion dive now. great pics Rob!
CoasterZ

Postby RobSFGAm on January 27th, 2012, 3:49 pm
Photo is now in the X-Flight construction thread (once the my PhotoBucket account is reset)
Last edited by RobSFGAm on February 5th, 2012, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobSFGAm

Postby Cole on January 27th, 2012, 4:00 pm
^Great pictures. I love the look at that lift hill. Going to be a very intimidating ride.
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby ttd rox on January 27th, 2012, 4:00 pm
Wow, it's shaping up excellent. I hope the SFGAm FB page adds some photos as well. The only bad thing about these photos is seeing Eagle with its paint blown off again. Thanks for posting those!
Top 3 Steel Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)

Top 3 Wood Coasters: 1. The Beast 2. American Eagle (Red) 3. Hades
ttd rox

Postby RobSFGAm on January 27th, 2012, 4:06 pm
Last update

Here is a link to video (4 minutes);
http://youtu.be/DA36Ttv2Vdg

The first 45 seconds from last week (gray sky) and is very shaky.
The last part if the piece going in from the ground up to position (though not bolted in). I think it is pretty cool watching it being built, maybe others will as well.

I noticed how bad the Eagle paint is also when I was looking at the pictures.

One other note:
I was on the sidewalk for all videos and pictures (1 video I was across the street (Washington St)).
The last time GA security was watching me (probably because I was there 3 times today), so I went over to talk to them. I asked if it was a problem that I was taking pictures and they said no as long as I stay on the sidewalk...as soon as you go onto any grass is when they have an issue with it.
RobSFGAm

Postby ClubXJeff on January 27th, 2012, 4:35 pm
FANTASTIC pictures and video guys! Thanks much! Those of us living downtown appreciate it! : )
Now, is it just me - or does this section before the drop have a very, slight dip to get some momentum going...Or is it the angle from which the pics were taken?
Actin Up 24/7
ClubXJeff

Postby DeathbyDinn on January 27th, 2012, 4:39 pm
CoasterZ wrote:this may be selfish cause not all six flags put up webcams... but for the love of god i wish they would move it to a different location lol...

and yeah looks like they are going into the inversion dive now. great pics Rob!

You may be in luck. :)

It's not quite that easy to just move the webcam to a better spot. It's on top of Dare Devil Dive right now with no ability to zoom out further, go higher or be kept at a height from a similar angle. We are looking into an alternative location, but there isn't much to choose from in that area.

http://www.facebook.com/SFGreatAmerica/ ... 5606456356
DeathbyDinn

Postby Jackluver18 on January 27th, 2012, 4:54 pm
Great photos. Coming along nicely
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby Jerrykoala2112 on January 27th, 2012, 5:06 pm
It looks so weird when it goes straight after the lift hill. Such a shiny roller coaster though.
Jerrykoala2112

Postby FloorHead on January 27th, 2012, 5:47 pm
Additional picture from SFGAm facebook page.
FloorHead

Postby stockboy300 on January 27th, 2012, 10:02 pm
This is the reason I love this web page great pictures and video. Man Im excited for this season.
stockboy300

Postby Ilovthevu' on January 27th, 2012, 11:33 pm
The way it is with the more tilted lift hill, it feels to me sort of dinky.

A question to anyone on here is whether or not you think the tilted lifthill on a B&M is a better idea or just the regular lifthill. If you are the side with a regular lifthill, you can argue that since it takes longer to get up to the top, you can see the scenery better (look at something like Raging Bull), and your anticipation grows longer to start the ride. Also, in regards to that the lifthill because it takes longer to get up to the top, it helps the other train get more time to be unloaded / loaded. Though, to me a ride looks more impressive with a regular lifthill. There is more track to look at with it going up in the air. In regards to mechanics, with more weight being pushed down on a tilted lifthill, I think that type of ride could have more breakdowns compared to a non tilted lifthill.

If you are the side of tilted lifthill, some might say that the tilted lifthill you feel pushed back a little sort of like Deja Vu, and with less steel used in the lifthill track hopefully they would use more track on the rest of the ride (but this isn't always the case). Another great thing would be that if you don't have much space and you want to fit in a roller coaster in that space, you build the lifthill going high up in the air faster.

In my opinion, it's really hard to choose which one I like better because a regular lifthill is much more impressive to look at than a tilted lifthill, but yet a tilted lifthill has sort of the Deja Vu tower 2 feeling. Even the parks themselves have a decision to make because if they want to spend more money on a B&M, I would personally choose the regular lifthill because I would want to showcase off a new coaster, and the lifthill is the way to really do it in my opinion.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby DeathbyDinn on January 27th, 2012, 11:57 pm
Assuming by tilted you mean steep, it makes sense for X Flight to have a steeper lift hill as it doesnt have a huge amount of space, so having a steep lift hill allows the ride to be taller.
Last edited by DeathbyDinn on January 28th, 2012, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeathbyDinn

Postby Jerrykoala2112 on January 28th, 2012, 12:00 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:The way it is with the more tilted lift hill, it feels to me sort of dinky.

A question to anyone on here is whether or not you think the tilted lifthill on a B&M is a better idea or just the regular lifthill. If you are the side with a regular lifthill, you can argue that since it takes longer to get up to the top, you can see the scenery better (look at something like Raging Bull), and your anticipation grows longer to start the ride. Also, in regards to that the lifthill because it takes longer to get up to the top, it helps the other train get more time to be unloaded / loaded. Though, to me a ride looks more impressive with a regular lifthill. There is more track to look at with it going up in the air. In regards to mechanics, with more weight being pushed down on a tilted lifthill, I think that type of ride could have more breakdowns compared to a non tilted lifthill.

If you are the side of tilted lifthill, some might say that the tilted lifthill you feel pushed back a little sort of like Deja Vu, and with less steel used in the lifthill track hopefully they would use more track on the rest of the ride (but this isn't always the case). Another great thing would be that if you don't have much space and you want to fit in a roller coaster in that space, you build the lifthill going high up in the air faster.

In my opinion, it's really hard to choose which one I like better because a regular lifthill is much more impressive to look at than a tilted lifthill, but yet a tilted lifthill has sort of the Deja Vu tower 2 feeling. Even the parks themselves have a decision to make because if they want to spend more money on a B&M, I would personally choose the regular lifthill because I would want to showcase off a new coaster, and the lifthill is the way to really do it in my opinion.

Keep in mind of the area constraints this ride is going in. The drop goes right against the midway, and if they had a more gradual lift hill, it would have taken up space that is just not available.
Jerrykoala2112

Postby gottastrata33 on January 28th, 2012, 1:21 am
Rob, as stated, thank you so much for the construction updates. Great photos!!

& a congratulations to our beautiful park, Six Flags Great America on its new skyline!
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby rct2wizard360 on January 28th, 2012, 1:16 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:The way it is with the more tilted lift hill, it feels to me sort of dinky.

Have you ever been on one of the B&M's with a steeper lift? or even Millennium Force? Personally, Diamondback's steep lift is great and I think that if anything, it builds up the anticipation more being your more on your back and you can't really tell what's coming. You're just staring up into the sky.

Plus, this coaster style is restrictive view wise anyways. It's not like you could look in both directions and see everything. You're going to have a huge car to your left (or right) along with bright red track. Not to mention you're just building up anticipation to get to a level position at the top to enter an inversion.
"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears
rct2wizard360

Postby icantwaittilxflight on January 28th, 2012, 1:37 pm
has anyone seen the skyline from I-94 yet? If so or if you're planning on driving north or if you live in the area can you take a picture? That'd be pretty exciting the see how it looks so far
icantwaittilxflight

Postby Ilovthevu' on January 28th, 2012, 2:06 pm
^^Yes, I have been on Diamondback, Sheikra, and Goliath (at SFOG) which all have the (more angled) steeper lifthills.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby gottastrata33 on January 28th, 2012, 4:11 pm
Yeah, Id love to see a skyline pic!! :) Will this beautiful B&M be added to our silhouette at the top? :) I think weve talked about changing it before cause of DejaVu but I dont remember, sorry.
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby CstrFan512 on January 28th, 2012, 4:34 pm
The steeper lift hill is a great thing in my mind. On I305 you start going up that lift right away and 10 seconds later your plumeting down 300 feet. I think it will make the ride seem intimidating and fast-paced.
CstrFan512

Postby RobSFGAm on January 28th, 2012, 4:35 pm
Photo is now in the X-Flight construction thread (once the my PhotoBucket account is reset)
Last edited by RobSFGAm on February 5th, 2012, 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RobSFGAm

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum