Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Do you really want to be better?

For any questions, comments, problems or suggestions about anything on this website.
Postby DvuRulz on March 20th, 2009, 1:28 am
First of all, thank you for opening this topic! I fear that my previous posts have been ignored and denied. To be honest, I have been on plenty forums before. Sfgam world has the most locked topics I have ever seen! I hate to say it, but this looks awfly bad. I am not directing this to only members and I am not directing this to only mods. This concerns both, obviously, because there is some miscommunication between the two. Again, I am not "bashing" your board in any way. I have heard many complaints aboyt how this place is being run and I would have to agree. It isn't very smooth. Some may be in denial. That is understandable. The members blame the mods, the mods blame the members. Am I right? Some members blame other members. Some mods may blame other mods. But all in all, we are blaming each other instead of taking responsibility for our own actions!

I'm sure some of you are going to tell me I'm being mean or trying to put the site down. Go ahead and tell me that, but it isn't true. I am trying my best to send out some clues on how to get this place running smoothly. Again, I am not speaking for myself. I am speaking for many.

Take this thread for example...
rides-t9741.html

Was this thread locked to give the board more organization? Or was it locked because the mods were simply tired of hearing the topic? Think about it. The second post is "Aren't there already so many threads like this?" That implies "I'm tired of hearing this!" The person who made the first post is going to be like well gee my topic is locked, wtf? (Forgive me if this didn't happen with this particular topic, I am only using it as an example). Then he will feel either offended, angered or just plain annoyed. That alone will cause problems. Being demanding, sarcastic and (I don't know a word for it but...) eye roll-seeming will only cause things to get worse. Saying something like "Hey, here's a topic about this! You should post it in here." Is inviting and it wouldn't upset anyone. This example does not portray the sarcasm I have seen, nor does it show the angry and demanding "use the search!!" that I have seen in the past. Be reasonable, be patient. No one is perfect...so just be patient with some people.

I mentioned ignoring posts that don't make sense to you or ones that you think are stupid. Don't tell the person it's a stupid post! Don't lock the topic and tell them why. That just makes people mad! Ignore the "stupid" posts and eventually they will go away.

I am by no means promoting a site so that sfgam world loses members, but I have a site you should really take a look at. It has nothing whatsoever to do with roller coasters in any way, shape or form. So, unless you are far more interested in weather than coasters (which I'm sure that applies to practically no one here), you won't leave sfgamworld for it! I am using this site as an example. When you look at it, don't think "I'm gonna leave sfgam world for a site like this!" Think "This is how we should act on sfgam world!"
Everyone is happy on this forum! No one fights and if there happens to be a misunderstanding, it is cleared up with minimal problems. So...here is the most mature way you can handle a forum.

http://www.absolutevorticity.com/index. ... 835d78f495

Ask yourself:
Are there any repeat topics?
Any locked topics?
Any "stupid" topics besides the ones in o/t that are supposed to be stupid?
Anyone complaining about each other?
Is anyone considered "god like"?
Are people blaming each other?
Any chaos?
Now...
Do they seem happy?
Do they talk about topics and posting often?
What are their rules like?
Are they strict? Demanding?
No?
Then how do they get by having such a smoothly running site?
Do they have a lot of members?
Does it really matter?

If I am banned for this topic, so be it. I shall be banned for trying to give sfgam world my best effort to make it the best it can possibly be! I won't be upset. Why should I be? I gave it my all...we can all learn something from this post and the examples in it! Please take a piece of this with you!

Sfgam World, you really have potential. I as well as the many other I am speaking for want to see this place rock! and we know you can do it.

If you have read this to the end, thank you so much for your consideration!
Falling Like the Hail
DvuRulz

Postby onyxhotel08 on March 20th, 2009, 1:47 am
These days 98% of topics locked are done so rightfully as people think (especially new members) you can post about whatever it is on your mind. No, you cannot. If everyone did that it would crash the site. Always doing topic searches and using common sense will help you post topics that don't get locked or deleted. I love this site. I love the organization. I know where to find the info I need. Where to ask if I need to know.
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby cycamps on March 20th, 2009, 5:37 pm
onyxhotel08 wrote:These days 98% of topics locked are done so rightfully as people think (especially new members) you can post about whatever it is on your mind.

I have to say I agree with that statement. I totally understand your reasoning with being kinder, and I definitely think that may be effective, but if you don't lock redundant topics, those new members will continue to post like that. I do have to say that most of us are generally nice when it comes to a first time member posting a topic that has been posted countless times before, but when that member continues to do so after their topics are locked, that's when we need to be a little more stern, and bring in sarcasm if you will.
cycamps

Postby Galvan317 on June 15th, 2009, 1:11 am
Ask yourself:

Ask yourself: does anyone who runs these boards or any of the longtime members even go to and or care about SFGAm anymore?
Figure this out and you will know why these boards arent as active as they used to be.
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby w00dland on June 17th, 2009, 1:06 pm
^That Guy has a point. When we all started on this board most of us were in high school or JUST starting college, most of us are graduating college at this point and just don't have time for coasters anymore...we still like em, just can't make it to SFGAm 20+ times anymore...
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby onyxhotel08 on June 27th, 2009, 6:12 pm
Certain topics get talked about to DEATH there isn't much to say about deja Vu, Buccanner Battle or Dark Knight anymore.
onyxhotel08

Postby Coaster Justin on June 27th, 2009, 7:08 pm
^ Buccaneer Battle's Lines? New Effects on Dark Knight?

Btw, I Still go to Great America and still ride Coasters.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby onyxhotel08 on June 28th, 2009, 12:32 am
Yeah some people don't realize you can say one thing about a ride like Dark Knight now and not have to start a whole new thread for it...oh wow a pointless disco ball on The Dark Knight!
onyxhotel08

Postby MForce4ever on September 27th, 2009, 1:38 am
TL:DR

But if you really want to see locked topics and unactive banned members check out TPR
I'm irreverent and stuff...
MForce4ever

Return to Problems, Questions and Suggestions Forum