Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Great Americas Theming

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby greatamerica2003 on January 27th, 2003, 11:27 pm
What do you think of SFGAm's theming? Is it better than some parks, or is it far worse? Whats you favorite themed area? Whats you favorite aspect of the theming (music, structures, overall appearance)?I can think of several parks where the theming is worse. I'll get flamed for this but Cedar Points theming is in the toilet. But then they don't strive for that environment (I'll give them credit for the Pioneer Village though) Astroworlds theming isn't great, and neither is Valleyfair! or Michigans Adventure.I grew up at the Disney parks, so I am a little spoiled on the immersive experience (SFGAm is my home park) I am awed by the attention to detail there. From the period music in Main Street, the Futuristic apperance of Tomorrowland, the great architecture of the Sunset Blvd. area of MGM (ToT) Universal has done a good job with IoA and the Studios.We are incredibly lucky to have a park that still holds on to its original theming. We have the current park brass to thank for that. The sister park (PGA) lost quite a bit of its theming after the turnover. We got VERY lucky with the SW Terr. expansion that added an entire new area.We take our park atmosphere for granted. Just about everyone else who doesn't go to the park a billion times a year always says to me "Gee this park is really beautiful with the trees, flowers and bushes" or "I feel like I'm in another world." We tend to slam it because we see it all the time.Enjoy it. Most smaller attendance parks aren't like this. They have concrete, metal railings and unattractive buildings. We could be worse off.
YOU ARE A FAILURE AT LIFE!
greatamerica2003
amtrak
amtrak

Postby Suf03sfgam on January 28th, 2003, 10:20 pm
I Think YankeeHarbor needs a little work... Ever Batman it has had the crap hacked out of it.. I think they might wanna just theme the whole thing Gothom City thats the only thing that they could do!
Suf03sfgam

Postby coastrcorey on January 28th, 2003, 10:43 pm
That would be neat... A Gotham City theme... Idunno though, Yankee Harbor is a classic!
coastrcorey

Postby Suf03sfgam on January 28th, 2003, 10:57 pm
I like Yankee Harbor too but with batman and V2 kills it they should try to fix that!!!
Suf03sfgam

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on January 28th, 2003, 11:11 pm
A re-theme would be cool, but then SFGAM would be no better the PGA, removing classic themes. I just hope we get a small new themed area to hold S:UF and a few flats instead of filling Orleans Place up with SupeHero Crap.
Nothing to see here....
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby greatamerica2003 on January 28th, 2003, 11:42 pm
I dont think we need to worry about ever losing any of the "classic" theming. The park brass, many who have been there since the late 70s early 80s don't want it to change.
YOU ARE A FAILURE AT LIFE!
greatamerica2003
amtrak
amtrak

Postby coasterzak on January 29th, 2003, 11:46 am
You guys should be very happy with the theming at your park. Be very happy because SFWoA doesn't have the least bit. Well, they have a little Gotham City section, but it doesn't even compare to the section you have. Even Yankee harbor is better than the Western theme they went for around the Villain. I was very impressed with SFGAm because the only six flags park I knew was SFWoA, and I knew theming didn't come with the package.
coasterzak

Postby coastrcorey on January 29th, 2003, 7:27 pm
Yeah, SFWoA sounds like a kind of not nice park... Idunno... Especially when it's in the same state as CP...
coastrcorey

Postby coasterzak on January 29th, 2003, 10:15 pm
Let's just say that it could be a lot better... but it thrills me and I have some wonderful memories from back in the day when it was Geauga Lake. It does make it rough when it is just an hour and a half away from Cedar Point and a few hours from PKI. Both decent parks that pull guests away from SFWoA, but I enjoy having a pass there and spending my summer there.
coasterzak

Postby T_Biggs on January 29th, 2003, 10:18 pm
coastrcorey wrote:Yeah, SFWoA sounds like a kind of not nice park... Idunno... Especially when it's in the same state as CP...
Is this the first SF bashing comment on the boards that originates from CP? :lol:
T_Biggs

Postby coasterzak on January 29th, 2003, 10:20 pm
Uh oh, I didn't want to look at it that way, I was trying to help the matters... please don't anyone bash Six Flags! Unless you've visited it yourself, you can't say anything, it's all heresay.
coasterzak

Postby Sliced Bread on January 29th, 2003, 10:29 pm
How many of you have even seen the real Yankee Harbor? I have, and it was way better than what it is now!
I'm the best thing since... wait! I am sliced bread! I am the best thing!
Sliced Bread

Postby coastrcorey on January 30th, 2003, 11:07 pm
Yeah, it could have better themeing like it used to... But, oh well...
coastrcorey

Postby coasterzak on January 31st, 2003, 4:35 pm
What was different about the old Yankee Harbor?
coasterzak

Postby Chitown on January 31st, 2003, 5:20 pm
Well, lets see.1. Batman and Gotham city didnt exist. Tidal Wave was very well themed to a seaside village.2. Angelo's pasta used to be a seafood restaurant which fits in with the theme.3. East River Crawler used to be call "Lobster".4. Before V2, that area used to have a lighthouse on the peninsula.5. Ice Mountain Splash used to be called Yankee Clipper.Just the overall feel of Yankee Harbor was more defined than it is now. Its now just a chopped up version of its old self.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on January 31st, 2003, 5:57 pm
If you think about it, PGA kept a real lot of their Yankee Harbor theming up until 98 when they Renamed the TW and took out the lobster+Yankee Clipper and added that stupid Paramounts FX theater.
Nothing to see here....
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby coasterzak on January 31st, 2003, 10:41 pm
It sounds like Yankee Harbor used to be a nice place. I do however, like the addition of B:TR along with V2. I think it was a good trade off for losing all the nice theming with Yankee Harbor.
coasterzak

Postby coasterinsane on February 10th, 2003, 6:01 pm
they took east river crawler appart.... i guess they got rid of it?they should just change the theme of that area to Modern rides thrown in to a section plaza :lol:
---------2006---------
Raptor Crew
Wicked Twister Crew
---------2007---------
Maverick Crew
Mantis Crew
Cad Cars Team Lead
coasterinsane

Postby Chitown on February 10th, 2003, 6:57 pm
East River Crawler will be back this season in the same spot. It was torn down for extensive maintenence. It is one of the original flats in the park so it was probably due for a complete overhaul.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby coastrcorey on February 10th, 2003, 7:12 pm
That's nice to hear... :)
coastrcorey

Postby coasterzak on February 11th, 2003, 4:31 pm
That's awesome! Always is nice to see some of the veteran rides to stick around for more operation. That is what most people remember the most and I hate seeing old rides go. Glad it can stay!
coasterzak

Postby CoasterMan629 on March 11th, 2003, 11:43 am
coasterinsane wrote:they took east river crawler appart.... i guess they got rid of it?they should just change the theme of that area to Modern rides thrown in to a section plaza :lol:
Yea I saw it in the warehouse. :wink: It will be back.
It's not how high or how fast you build the roller coaster it's how smooth you build it!
CoasterMan629

Postby coasterzak on March 11th, 2003, 8:02 pm
It's return sounds very promising. I thought I heard them already announce it would return, but I could be mistaken.
coasterzak

Postby CoasterDave316 on March 11th, 2003, 8:16 pm
East River Crawler will be back, It was just down for rehab I am assuming, much like Orbit was down for rehab in the begining of last season. (Dave whos amazed he can remember all the way back to the begining of last season :wink: )
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby SfGaMownz on March 13th, 2003, 8:45 pm
A little off topic but..........does anyone know if something will be put where power dive was? I think that Power Alley is a waste of space and i never see anyoneplay it anyways so im guessing they didnt make to much money off it.
SfGaMownz

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum