Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Memberships: Are they worth it?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby JaminOut on August 30th, 2018, 5:17 pm
I’m trying to figure out what form of pass will be the bet deal for me. I’ve narrowed it down to a Gold Pass, Diamond Membership, and Elite Membership. The only thing that is holding me back at this point in time is the Rewards Program. Without it, I easily would have went for the Gold Pass, but it seems enticing. I would like to know how many points you need to redeem free tickets, food, and such. Anyone have insight?
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 30th, 2018, 6:51 pm
^ The memberships confuse me. Can anyone break it down for me?
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 30th, 2018, 6:59 pm
^If you go to this page, and towards the bottom, it shows you everything you get with each membership. I heard for the membership they want a $20 deposit, you never get back, unless you cancel. lol

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/store/membership

I'm not buying this, but some people upgrade to the 2nd membership just because you get a "free" drink bottle with the 2nd one instead of the 1st one. If it's $2 a month more though, than you are paying $24 more, for your "free" drink bottle. I don't think that's worth it..

"At the time you sign up for your Membership you can choose to provide us with a security deposit. This is not the same as a down payment: when you pay someone a down payment they keep it -- when you provide us with a security deposit we eventually give it back to you (provided that you've paid us all of your Membership fees and meet your obligations as described in the Membership agreement). The vast, vast, vast majority of people who choose to provide us with a security deposit get it back when they cancel their Membership.

Members who choose to provide us with a security deposit generally pay less than those who don't opt to provide us with a security deposit. However, other than the monthly fee being a little different, everything about the security and non-security deposit Memberships are exactly the same."
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on August 30th, 2018, 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby briphotoguy on August 30th, 2018, 7:02 pm
I locked into a membership for $6.15 a month which I’m turn is about $74.00 a year for basically what a basic gold pass is. (Entry and free parking) For me it’s still a deal because it’s only my wife and I so we don’t have 4 people to do the gold season passes... it just made sense for us. I have yet gone this year but plan on going to Last Call and Holiday in the Park so it should still pay for itself there...
briphotoguy

Postby JaminOut on August 31st, 2018, 12:04 am
Right, but my question is geared more towards how many points you need to rack up in order to redeem them for something worthwhile.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2018, 7:03 am
briphotoguy wrote:I locked into a membership for $6.15 a month which I’m turn is about $74.00 a year for basically what a basic gold pass is. (Entry and free parking) For me it’s still a deal because it’s only my wife and I so we don’t have 4 people to do the gold season passes... it just made sense for us. I have yet gone this year but plan on going to Last Call and Holiday in the Park so it should still pay for itself there...

Not that you should change if it works for you, but just for the record part of the deal for the Flash Sale is you don't need four people for the gold pass upgrade...
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2018, 7:06 am
Can anybody who already has a membership see if they can access the Membership Rewards thing yet, and if so can they get a list of the rewards costs? It doesn't seem to be available before you buy...
anewman35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 31st, 2018, 11:27 am
anewman35 wrote:
briphotoguy wrote:I locked into a membership for $6.15 a month which I’m turn is about $74.00 a year for basically what a basic gold pass is. (Entry and free parking) For me it’s still a deal because it’s only my wife and I so we don’t have 4 people to do the gold season passes... it just made sense for us. I have yet gone this year but plan on going to Last Call and Holiday in the Park so it should still pay for itself there...

Not that you should change if it works for you, but just for the record part of the deal for the Flash Sale is you don't need four people for the gold pass upgrade...

He's correct, you do NOT need to buy 4 Gold Passes to get the better price. That was in prior years.

As for the "deposit" for the membership, what are you putting it down towards?? The lanyard and the ID card!??? I'm sorry but asking EVERY member for a $20 deposit is giving Six Flags an interest free loan!!
(kind of like people who get HUGE tax returns loaned their money to the US Govt, interest free :) )
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby briphotoguy on August 31st, 2018, 6:23 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
anewman35 wrote:

He's correct, you do NOT need to buy 4 Gold Passes to get the better price. That was in prior years.

As for the "deposit" for the membership, what are you putting it down towards?? The lanyard and the ID card!??? I'm sorry but asking EVERY member for a $20 deposit is giving Six Flags an interest free loan!!
(kind of like people who get HUGE tax returns loaned their money to the US Govt, interest free :) )

Oh! I didn’t know they changed it! Regardless I’m still locked into a good rate and it’ll just be more of a hassle now to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
briphotoguy

Postby JaminOut on August 31st, 2018, 6:47 pm
anewman35 wrote:Can anybody who already has a membership see if they can access the Membership Rewards thing yet, and if so can they get a list of the rewards costs? It doesn't seem to be available before you buy...

Can anyone see this with their membership? I need to know what the deal is before the sale ends...

I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby briphotoguy on August 31st, 2018, 6:59 pm
Not sure if this is what you are referring to...

ImageImageImageImageImage

briphotoguy

Postby briphotoguy on August 31st, 2018, 7:02 pm
LOL... now that I’m looking at my membership... it actually looks like they took Gold away from me and I am now a normal member... I haven’t gone at all this year so I haven’t really checked into this.

briphotoguy

Postby JaminOut on August 31st, 2018, 8:40 pm
briphotoguy wrote:Not sure if this is what you are referring to...

ImageImageImageImageImage

Not really, those are just the deals everyone gets. I’m talking about the membership rewards program where you redeem points for free stuff. I think it had to be viewed online in the pass portal, a few of us are wondering how many points you need to rack up to earn something worthwhile.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 31st, 2018, 11:41 pm
briphotoguy wrote:LOL... now that I’m looking at my membership... it actually looks like they took Gold away from me and I am now a normal member... I haven’t gone at all this year so I haven’t really checked into this.

Wow, you must have bought it awhile ago (Maybe 2014). They don't have a standard, and a gold anymore (They have a gold plus). They might even block some of the dates at the park for you.

"Here’s a breakdown of what you’re getting with a Six Flags membership (standard):

Free admission to every Six Flags park in the country (day tickets are usually in the $45-50 range)
15 percent off retail purchases of $15 or more
Free Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park admission
Park-picked days to bring a friend for free (yes, these days do get extremely crowded)
Lots of coupons of marginal value
If you buy a gold membership (I did) parking is free. Price breakdown below."

"Some of the additional benefits of getting a gold membership (at Fiesta Texas): Parking is free at every Six Flags park! This is awesome! Parking runs anywhere from $10 to the still-beating heart of a close friend, so right off the bat this makes the gold membership worth it in my opinion. No blackout dates (regular passes are blocked out October 18, 25 and December 20-21) An extra bring a friend free ticket (still on select days)"

This is from https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201405/4012/

The worst part seems like you do not get free parking, and regular park is $26 a visit (not preferred)..
If you really do not get free parking like the details say for standard, I suggest at least one of you upgrades to the gold plus membership. That's $52 in parking if you just go twice this year.
And this is coming from a person that doesn't want to give Six Flags another dime because I don't like this corporation at this time, yet I (LOVE the product) that include a bunch of RIDES (telling you I would upgrade to save you lots of money on parking).
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby briphotoguy on September 1st, 2018, 5:25 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:
briphotoguy wrote:LOL... now that I’m looking at my membership... it actually looks like they took Gold away from me and I am now a normal member... I haven’t gone at all this year so I haven’t really checked into this.

Wow, you must have bought it awhile ago (Maybe 2014). They don't have a standard, and a gold anymore (They have a gold plus). They might even block some of the dates at the park for you.

"Here’s a breakdown of what you’re getting with a Six Flags membership (standard):

Free admission to every Six Flags park in the country (day tickets are usually in the $45-50 range)
15 percent off retail purchases of $15 or more
Free Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park admission
Park-picked days to bring a friend for free (yes, these days do get extremely crowded)
Lots of coupons of marginal value
If you buy a gold membership (I did) parking is free. Price breakdown below."

"Some of the additional benefits of getting a gold membership (at Fiesta Texas): Parking is free at every Six Flags park! This is awesome! Parking runs anywhere from $10 to the still-beating heart of a close friend, so right off the bat this makes the gold membership worth it in my opinion. No blackout dates (regular passes are blocked out October 18, 25 and December 20-21) An extra bring a friend free ticket (still on select days)"

This is from https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201405/4012/

The worst part seems like you do not get free parking, and regular park is $26 a visit (not preferred)..
If you really do not get free parking like the details say for standard, I suggest at least one of you upgrades to the gold plus membership. That's $52 in parking if you just go twice this year.
And this is coming from a person that doesn't want to give Six Flags another dime because I don't like this corporation at this time, yet I (LOVE the product) that include a bunch of RIDES (telling you I would upgrade to save you lots of money on parking).

It’s weird because my wife has the same pass but she still has parking included... as for memberships I was originally told that once your gold they can’t drop you down... I looked for someone to contact yesterday as I do plan to go one day at least this year... maybe even 2 unless they piss me off with their customer service. I might just cancel the whole damn thing! I think I bought them in 2015? But when I read online at my order it still says Membership gold.. I’ll just contact them and see what they say.

briphotoguy

Postby Sven18 on September 1st, 2018, 1:28 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:As for the "deposit" for the membership, what are you putting it down towards?? The lanyard and the ID card!??? I'm sorry but asking EVERY member for a $20 deposit is giving Six Flags an interest free loan!!

Yes, SF is pretty sly with this. Pay the $20 deposit or they charge you $1 more per month on your membership. The entire membership program is really a cleverly disguised price increase. To get what you used to get for Gold Pass you need a Gold Plus membership, which even with the 4+ sale flash sale price for everyone is a $20 increase plus the shenanigans with the deposit or the extra $1/month. SF is depending on people seeing the low monthly and not realize they are paying more for the same stuff. Many people would rather pay monthly thana lump sum for entry, dining, etc..
Sven18

Postby n9yty on September 1st, 2018, 7:09 pm
The one thing I find confusing, about the sale they are running now, is the three months extra. If you read the fine print, you don't get that until after you cancel your membership. Then they add 3 extra months, but your meal pass doesn't continue into that 3 months. So who would keep their membership for 3 months but without any dining pass to go with it? Makes no sense to me. But, if you keep the membership for 48 months, you get in park credit for the equivalent dollar value. Stupid.

I cancelled and upgraded our current ones to get that extra 3 month deal, but now doesn't look like we'll ever be able to use it. Oh well, live and learn. :)

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
n9yty

Postby UWW-10 on September 3rd, 2018, 9:42 am

You and I seem to be in the same boat! I looked back at my original contract and I purchased in October of 2013 which had to be around the time the membership concept first came out and had to be before any of the dining add-ons because my monthly price was dirt cheap. I did upgrade during the sale (after almost 5 years now) but the pass portal listed what I had as a "classic membership" but no mention of gold status anywhere...wouldn't surprise me if they were silently trying to phase it out to get people onto the new leveling system.

Now I just hope that they cancel the old one so I'm not double paying...it seemed very straightforward on the portal site for the information they wanted to verify the two accounts. Time will tell I guess...
UWW-10

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum