Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Maxx Force NEW FOR 2019

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 5th, 2019, 3:17 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:
SFGAM_Hog wrote:^ I think it has to do with the fight that occurred last year because I can't think of another reason for it.
I was working there when that brawl happened last year. Employees are getting fed up with the disrespectful and trashy guests that come into the park and start things over stupid stuff. I understand it's hot outside and everything, but if you want to start a fight, do it outside of park grounds. I hope they start banning people from the park for fights. It's so irritating when you just want people to enjoy their time and you got someone who starts a fight because they accidently got bumped into. You're here to have fun, not to win fights.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I totally agree with you!! Perhaps they raised price to 29.99 for that week as well as cancelled Coasters After Dark and replaced it with the ERT (from Takis) to eliminate the undesirables.

Does anyone remember seeing the Coasters After Dark for June and August in the Portal benefits list? Also, the 19.99 price for 6/17 - 6/21?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby redrobinround on June 5th, 2019, 3:27 pm
any construction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redrobinround

Postby SaveTheWAVE on June 5th, 2019, 3:44 pm
6/21 is now home to "Hot Summer Night." There will be ERT, but A wrist band is needed to attend.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
SaveTheWAVE

Postby gottastrata33 on June 5th, 2019, 4:37 pm
Does anyone else live in the city? None of my friends who care enough to go before Maxx opens are all moved away or not off the days I am! & Mikey, if you’re reading this, thanks for hating me ;)
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterNick3157 on June 5th, 2019, 7:35 pm
They pulled the train in the station and later put it back. No real work done at all. Most of it was being done in the shop and the entry before you enter the first queue. Boring day. They are really not having any urgency on this. All they gonna tell us is "soon" "very soon"
CoasterNick3157

Postby B&MGuy35 on June 5th, 2019, 8:31 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:Does anyone else live in the city? None of my friends who care enough to go before Maxx opens are all moved away or not off the days I am! & Mikey, if you’re reading this, thanks for hating me ;)

WOW

CALLING ME OUT ON HERE!

I thought what I’ve already done for you was way better then a trip to six flags.....

Guess I was mistaken

B&MGuy35

Postby gottastrata33 on June 5th, 2019, 9:25 pm
LOL s t o p i t

Well, Mikey doesn’t live in the city anymore but if any of you do & ever wanna meet up, hit us up.

Also, I was thinkin about this lastnight - does anyone else think this is an s&s issue? It’s odd to me that both Steel Curtain & Maxx are so behind. I will admit, the rain here has been awful but I’m hoping this is a lesson learned (though many will say the park doesn’t care & maybe you’re right) that they should start construction earlier & open earlier. However, this thing has pretty much already been under way a year right?! When was pictorium torn down?
gottastrata33

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 5th, 2019, 9:40 pm
I really don't know why it looks like they're only working on two things per day. The guard rails for the queue should be put in place by now. During the March construction tours they were talking about how Carousel Gifts already had a makeover during the off-season, but nothing was done at all until now. I don't think it's an S&S thing, I feel like the big thing prohibiting testing is the whole grout thing on the footers. I have absolutely no idea why it hasn't been completed yet. By the looks of it a July 4th opening seems likely.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby redrobinround on June 5th, 2019, 9:45 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:I really don't know why it looks like they're only working on two things per day. The guard rails for the queue should be put in place by now. During the March construction tours they were talking about how Carousel Gifts already had a makeover during the off-season, but nothing was done at all until now. I don't think it's an S&S thing, I feel like the big thing prohibiting testing is the whole grout thing on the footers. I have absolutely no idea why it hasn't been completed yet. By the looks of it a July 4th opening seems likely.
because all they care about profit and saving money to not pay overtime

redrobinround

Postby IssaCoaster on June 5th, 2019, 9:47 pm
redrobinround wrote:
SFGAM_Hog wrote:I really don't know why it looks like they're only working on two things per day. The guard rails for the queue should be put in place by now. During the March construction tours they were talking about how Carousel Gifts already had a makeover during the off-season, but nothing was done at all until now. I don't think it's an S&S thing, I feel like the big thing prohibiting testing is the whole grout thing on the footers. I have absolutely no idea why it hasn't been completed yet. By the looks of it a July 4th opening seems likely.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Disney or Cedar Fair bought the park instead of Sixflags

IssaCoaster

Postby gottastrata33 on June 5th, 2019, 10:25 pm
Disney would have never happened. Too small. Cedar Fair would have had us if paramount was here cause they acquired all those parks. But - Here’s the thing, I cant say I’d want it any other way other than SF to get it’s act together. We do have it good, we really do. It’s just not the best & not what we’re seeing other chains do lately. I wouldn’t want to be any other park in the SF chain though & I mean that.

While I was all team “something new for every park every year”, I currently would prefer CFs method. Spend the money on pro improvements/remodels, restaurants, hotels, whatever etc, & spend the big bucks on a major coaster every few years or so. Cause at that rate we’d have the giga or dive machine by now. But we wouldn’t have the little & interesting things I dont Think. I love the additions we’ve received the last decade but it’s time to focus on other things. Honestly.
gottastrata33

Postby FParker185 on June 5th, 2019, 10:31 pm
Judging by what's going/has happened with other S&S coasters, a pretty huge allignment issue that could clearly be seen during the construction tour, and the fact that in pics it looks like they were ready to finish grouting but then suddenly stopped, I'd wager there is an issue with the ride that needs to be addressed.

OT wouldn't be an issue as the construction is contracted out to Sky High, the price to do the work I'm sure was set months before they broke ground along with a completion date
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 5th, 2019, 10:51 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:
redrobinround wrote:

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Disney or Cedar Fair bought the park instead of Sixflags

If Disney owned the park, you would get a new attraction every 5-10 years that would take 2 1/2 years to build, and you would pay $500 for a season pass with blockout dates. In my opinion, Disney does have some great rides, but to me it's far and few between. I feel their is no value at all with Disney. I feel I'm getting ripped off completely, and I feel that each park is worth about $25 - $30 (with Magic Kingdom being the $30 park) with them now charging $100+ a park per day. In my opinion, for instance Epcot only has 1 great ride. Hollywood Studios only has 1 great ride, and Animal Kingdom only has 1 great ride. Six Flags (to me) has more great rides per park than any Disney park does, and I have been to all 6 Disney US theme parks.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on June 5th, 2019, 11:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 5th, 2019, 10:56 pm
FParker185 wrote:Judging by what's going/has happened with other S&S coasters, a pretty huge allignment issue that could clearly be seen during the construction tour,

Can you explain what alignment issues are and where you can notice them? I don't know anything about this problem and what it even is. Ive heard alignment issues mentioned before, but I never knew what it meant.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Wisco Woody on June 6th, 2019, 6:48 am
I'm just getting tired of the Park's excuses and purposeful delaying, with still no opening date. Almost guaranteed now that it won't open in time for July 4th weekend because they know the capacity is way too low to avoid 4+ hour lines that weekend. We are deluding ourselves if we think people wont be pissed off, and crowding nearby guest services, pulling back into the station only 40-50 seconds after they left it when they had to wait in a 3-4+ hour line for at most 25 seconds of action.

This and West Coast Racers are indicative of big failures with both Six Flags corporate and Great America park management, because when a park like Carowinds can have rides like Copperhead Strike and Fury 325 before it open in March, there is no valid excuse as to why Great America can't get a coaster under 2000 ft long open by late May other than intentional delay from realization of their poor planning resulting in poor capacity.
Wisco Woody

Postby Falcon on June 6th, 2019, 8:25 am
If cedar fair bought the park we'd be complain right now about how our B&M giga is too short. Which in my opinion is a good problem to have

As much as I want to hate on Great America's management, they seem to do a good job of preventing six flags from totally raping whats left of the old Marriott park. Like we're the last park in the chain to get a new B&M. We got a ground up RMC and now an S&S launch coaster. All while still playing the demon theme song, keeping our wooden coasters in good shape, and not demolishing Whizzer.
Falcon

Postby B&MGuy35 on June 6th, 2019, 9:35 am
You guys are all spoiled. No where does it say when they HAVE to have the ride open. They’ve been saying for months now early summer and guess what summer doesn’t start until June 21st. If you like the fact that other parks can have their rides open in time for opening day then go there. Also the park you named is in a much warmer climate and construction was started way earlier then here. I’m completely happy waiting.

The fact that you think people will be flooding guest services because the ride is so short is far fetched. Has this ever happened before? AGAIN! People will be so blown away with how intense this ride is it’s not gonna matter. Top Thrill is a 15 sec ride from launch to brake and I never got off that ride mad because it was too short and have only see happy faces on others getting off. Top Thrill’s wait times were close to 4 hours when it opened. THIS RIDE WILL BE MORE INTENSE THEN TOP THRILL! I’d rather them get construction right and not rush through anything. Oh and ITS RAINED EVERYDAY FOR LIKE A MONTH NOW!

I hate to break it too you, but I think you can get used to late ride openings. Now that the park is open till the end of the year they’ll still have 6 months of ride operation.

Last edited by B&MGuy35 on June 6th, 2019, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
B&MGuy35

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 6th, 2019, 9:44 am
^ Well written. No regular park guest would go out of their way to complain about a ride's duration. Only some of you too good for Six Flags enthusiasts that complain about how Maxx doesn't compare to another ride.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Wisco Woody on June 6th, 2019, 10:38 am
I am not comparing Maxx Force to another ride in terms of quality, I know the ride will be amazing WHILE you are on it, but that can easily be soured if you have to wait in a 4+ hour line to do so. Back in 2003 when TTD opened, Cedar Point was swarmed with customer complaints and bad press on the early internet for both the long lines for its short duration and not being able to open the ride most of the day as they advertised, the 2nd scenario being hopefully very unlikely with Maxx Force.

I love this park for having nearly the best ride reliability and maintenance in the industry, and for it's good entertainment and special event offerings, especially during Fright Fest, July 4th Fest, and now HITP. But this year, in the early season at least, the entertainment offering is smaller and weaker, the ride reliability seems to be lower, and while the weather has been terrible I have never seen a major park have this much difficulty erecting a coaster that is sub 2000 ft long. I am sure that the park will be as great as it was the last 2 years during the festivals, but when other areas are clearly suffering you would think the park would try to balance that out by opening their new ride on time during Memorial Day weekend or at the very latest by the Summer solstice.
Wisco Woody

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 6th, 2019, 1:22 pm
Taking a line from Jurassic Park, "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." It might be a Maverick problem with this new ride (too many G's).

I'm also not really a fan of a 2 train operated ride in regards to the braking area of this ride. It's so small. That braking area to me, looks like only for 1 train operation. https://youtu.be/ioC4M66ovxA?t=212
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on June 6th, 2019, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby IssaCoaster on June 6th, 2019, 1:32 pm
For me, too many Gs is a good kind of problem to have. And Maverick is a great ride. But they still haven't tested the ride so I don't think that's the problem. And that barrel roll on the Maverick also put too much stress on the trains while also possibly snapping the necks and spines of riders as it went through the inversion. That was ridiculous. The ride still just about snaps my neck even with that inversion out of it. Hopefully we won't have the problem with MaxxForce. I just hope the ride opens some time this summer. I just need to ride it before going back to college.

IssaCoaster

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 6th, 2019, 1:35 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:
I'm also not really a fan of a 2 train operated ride in regards to the braking area of this ride. It's so small. That braking area to me, looks like only for 1 train operation. https://youtu.be/ioC4M66ovxA?t=212

That brake run is big enough to fit one train on it. It definitely is capable of running two trains.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 6th, 2019, 1:52 pm
It fits, but it looks like it barely fits. I think B&M is the golden standard in ride's safety, and if you look at something like Superman's brake run, you see that B&M doesn't play around with having short brake runs. They don't chance the idea of a roller coaster train crashing into another train.
Ilovthevu'

Postby SaveTheWAVE on June 6th, 2019, 2:37 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:You guys are all spoiled. No where does it say when they HAVE to have the ride open. They’ve been saying for months now early summer and guess what summer doesn’t start until June 21st. If you like the fact that other parks can have their rides open in time for opening day then go there. Also the park you named is in a much warmer climate and construction was started way earlier then here. I’m completely happy waiting.

The fact that you think people will be flooding guest services because the ride is so short is far fetched. Has this ever happened before? AGAIN! People will be so blown away with how intense this ride is it’s not gonna matter. Top Thrill is a 15 sec ride from launch to brake and I never got off that ride mad because it was too short and have only see happy faces on others getting off. Top Thrill’s wait times were close to 4 hours when it opened. THIS RIDE WILL BE MORE INTENSE THEN TOP THRILL! I’d rather them get construction right and not rush through anything. Oh and ITS RAINED EVERYDAY FOR LIKE A MONTH NOW!

I hate to break it too you, but I think you can get used to late ride openings. Now that the park is open till the end of the year they’ll still have 6 months of ride operation.

Agreed! My patience and my excitement for Maxx Force are inversely proportional. That's because I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival with full operation. The weather has not cooperated at all which is why I think it is so behind. I'd rather have it done right even if it means delays now than end up with another dejavu.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
SaveTheWAVE

Postby JT2002 on June 6th, 2019, 3:12 pm
I've been at the park these last few days and there has barely been any construction. It was a perfect day yesterday, but no work to report. I'm confident that the park has a plan, and we could expect an opening date to be released in the next few days even if testing does not begin.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum