Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Maxx Force NEW FOR 2019

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby UnclePennybags on May 30th, 2019, 5:38 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:
B&MGuy35 wrote:He posted a video from inside the station and at the end the train moves.

Probably a couple of construction workers pushing the train from behind.

It has power
You can hear it in the video
Also another video was posted of them putting it back into the storage shed

OK, it was a couple of construction workers pushing the train from behind making "Vroom, Vroom" sounds.

I can't see the video on Marcus's Instagram account (I see the picture). Where did you see the video?
UnclePennybags

Postby Falcon on May 30th, 2019, 7:12 pm
It is on his Instagram story
Falcon

Postby SFGAM_Hog on May 30th, 2019, 7:19 pm
redrobinround wrote:https://youtu.be/gyi49sR0IHI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one is pushing it lol
SFGAM_Hog

Postby UnclePennybags on May 30th, 2019, 8:19 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:
redrobinround wrote:https://youtu.be/gyi49sR0IHI

No one is pushing it lol

This is coming together faster than I would have expected. Two weeks ago, I would have thought the station would have to be completed before testing could commence. Pretty amazing that we might see more construction/landscaping tasks done in parallel. Still, it looks like we're looking at two to three weeks before this ride could open.
UnclePennybags

Postby Goku1910 on May 30th, 2019, 8:22 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:It doesn't really prove it's ready for testing. The dude from WGN wanted to see it (talking about it tomorrow), so they took it out for him to film on it. I don't know what un-grouted footers means, but if FParker says they are, I believe him. He knows a lot more than a lot of people know about rides.

Un-grouted are the footers with a visible gap between the support beam and the concrete base.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby UnclePennybags on May 30th, 2019, 8:43 pm
Goku1910 wrote:Un-grouted are the footers with a visible gap between the support beam and the concrete base.

Sounds like that something would Yoda say. :)

What does it mean to the schedule if the footers are ungrouted?
UnclePennybags

Postby Goku1910 on May 30th, 2019, 8:46 pm
Nothing. As far as I know the Grout is only for appearance and it could test without it.
Goku1910

Postby IssaCoaster on May 30th, 2019, 8:49 pm
Goku1910 wrote:Nothing. As far as I know the Grout is only for appearance and it could test without it.
I want to believe this, but I need some confirmation as to whether this is true or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
IssaCoaster

Postby FParker185 on May 30th, 2019, 11:10 pm
in this pic posted by SavetheWave, can see still no grout, and there is a good reason they put 18 inches or so of steel I-Beam welded to the bottom of the support that fits into a pocket in the footer, it most definitely is a structural element of the ride. Not to say they can't test it, but it'd be a tremendously bad idea. They can of course easily test all the other aspects of the ride though which I'm sure they've been doing as they hit their milestones...

Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby B&MGuy35 on May 30th, 2019, 11:13 pm
We’ve also had the wettest May ever in record. I think it’s rained everyday for 2 weeks straight now. There’s no way to put concrete in weather like we’ve had. So unfortunately a delay happens. Maybe if the weather had been better they would have been testing by now.

B&MGuy35

Postby Ilovthevu' on May 30th, 2019, 11:42 pm
The reason I think they should finish the station first before testing is because of certain factors that could happen during the testing phase. As stupid as it sounds, let's say they put the air gates too close to the train, or an air gate breaks off during a test run because it wasn't installed properly. That wouldn't be good. Let's say they add some sort of glass ceiling, and during the launch (during the testing), the glass shatters. That's not good either. Parts of the station are very close to the ride. I understand they can do the rest of the line for the ride even if it's testing. It doesn't really matter, but to me having the station done before testing should be a priority. I also don't think you want the operator panel for the ride under the elements with no full roof.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 31st, 2019, 7:49 am
UnclePennybags wrote:OK, it was a couple of construction workers pushing the train from behind making "Vroom, Vroom" sounds.

I can't see the video on Marcus's Instagram account (I see the picture). Where did you see the video?

In the background you can hear the classic REO Speedwagon song "Keep Pushin'" :) Makes sense since REO is from Champaign, IL
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on May 31st, 2019, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 31st, 2019, 7:52 am
IssaCoaster wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:Nothing. As far as I know the Grout is only for appearance and it could test without it.
I want to believe this, but I need some confirmation as to whether this is true or not.

This sounds like the classic Rush song "Show Don't Tell" :)

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 31st, 2019, 7:55 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:The reason I think they should finish the station first before testing is because of certain factors that could happen during the testing phase. As stupid as it sounds, let's say they put the air gates too close to the train, or an air gate breaks off during a test run because it wasn't installed properly. That wouldn't be good. Let's say they add some sort of glass ceiling, and during the launch (during the testing), the glass shatters. That's not good either. Parts of the station are very close to the ride. I understand they can do the rest of the line for the ride even if it's testing. It doesn't really matter, but to me having the station done before testing should be a priority. I also don't think you want the operator panel for the ride under the elements with no full roof.

I agree with you totally! Test the ride how it will operate in real conditions and with all construction elements complete. UNLESS, they need to test something in that area that would become inaccessible once station is built.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on May 31st, 2019, 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby marcusleshock on May 31st, 2019, 8:35 am
Hey everybody! This is Marcus Leshock with WGN. I put together some video from my visit yesterday, including me trying out the seat/restraints and some other video we captured from the site. Just uploaded here...thought some of you might be interested! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHKzW0SzGz0
marcusleshock

Postby jmanporty7 on May 31st, 2019, 8:56 am
marcusleshock wrote:Hey everybody! This is Marcus Leshock with WGN. I put together some video from my visit yesterday, including me trying out the seat/restraints and some other video we captured from the site. Just uploaded here...thought some of you might be interested! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHKzW0SzGz0

Thank you so much Marcus!
jmanporty7

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 31st, 2019, 9:21 am
Thanks Marcus! One thing I noticed is that the seatbelts aren't the kind used by Goliath. I would have thought they would be the same style because those are almost impossible to come off by accident.

Also, that barrel roll looks like it might be a bit rough because it's a tight "spiral". Time will tell!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby UnclePennybags on May 31st, 2019, 10:01 am
marcusleshock wrote:...thought some of you might be interested! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHKzW0SzGz0

I had guessed Maxx would open on June 22. That's about two weeks from now. Asked point blank for an opening date, the guy in the video wouldn't commit to anything specific. He just said, "Very soon." If this ride was opening in the next couple of weeks, I'd expect the park could provide an estimated target date (dependent on weather).

June 22 still seems plausible for an opening date, but I could see July 4 if the weather doesn't cooperate.
UnclePennybags

Postby Falcon on May 31st, 2019, 11:19 am
So what is the deal with footer grout? They basically encase the end of the steel support in concrete to prevent pullout right? I assume with is stronger than just relying on the tensile strength of rebar alone?
Falcon

Postby Ilovthevu' on May 31st, 2019, 11:46 am
So, Six Flags has at least 3 delayed rides that aren't fully built yet. You have this ride, Joker at Fiesta Texas, and Magic Mountains. I say this ride doesn't open till July. When they test, they test these rides a lot. I thought 4 to 6 weeks.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby cliffhanger on May 31st, 2019, 12:59 pm
Falcon wrote:So what is the deal with footer grout? They basically encase the end of the steel support in concrete to prevent pullout right? I assume with is stronger than just relying on the tensile strength of rebar alone?

You are kind of right. Check out this article all about footers here : https://www.coaster101.com/2011/04/12/c ... undations/

Pretty interesting science here.
cliffhanger

Postby B&MGuy35 on May 31st, 2019, 1:01 pm
Guys,
The queue for this ride is huge!!
Look at all the concrete that has been poured for it now. Also the roof for the station is basically done.

ImageImage

B&MGuy35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 31st, 2019, 1:50 pm
cliffhanger wrote:
Falcon wrote:So what is the deal with footer grout? They basically encase the end of the steel support in concrete to prevent pullout right? I assume with is stronger than just relying on the tensile strength of rebar alone?

You are kind of right. Check out this article all about footers here : https://www.coaster101.com/2011/04/12/c ... undations/

Great post!! I love Coaster101 site.

So the grout is NOT just cosmetic but quite functional:

Compressive force is transmitted to the foundation through perfect contact between the column base plate and the grout. Shear force is transmitted to the foundation through perfect contact between the shear pin and grout as well as between the anchor bolts and grout. Tension force is transmitted to the foundation through the anchor bolts.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby IssaCoaster on May 31st, 2019, 2:33 pm
cliffhanger wrote:

Pretty much engineering statics. I just got done taking the class.

IssaCoaster

Postby IssaCoaster on May 31st, 2019, 2:35 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:Guys,
The queue for this ride is huge!!
Look at all the concrete that has been poured for it now. Also the roof for the station is basically done.

ImageImage

I'm scared... where are the holes to support the awnings for shade?

IssaCoaster

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum