Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Coaster after dark fight

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Bobthebuilder645 on August 17th, 2018, 9:06 pm
There was another fight during coasters after dark today near River Rocker. It was a huge mob of people the blocked the path, police showed up.
Bobthebuilder645

Postby Muck Finnesota on August 17th, 2018, 10:35 pm
Absolutely stunned. This came out of nowhere.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby ChicagoCoasters on August 17th, 2018, 10:52 pm
This is starting to get out of hand. First we had the Fright Fest incident last year, to both Coasters After Dark having fights occur. That is three major fights in less than a year. If you look at a park like Cedar Point it seems like heaven up there compared to SFGAm. There haven't been fights at Cedar Fair parks recently (I think). Definitely not three in under a year. Six Flags Great America you need to step up your game with security. They seriously need to focus on family rides and stuff for the family more than they have in the upcoming years if they want these fights to stop happening.
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby JaminOut on August 18th, 2018, 12:17 am
They also had a huge police presence at the park today. Such a shame. Change the pass model so the 99% can have a good time. I don’t want my home park to be the coaster equivalent of a Walmart...
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 18th, 2018, 12:45 am
I don't know all about this fighting stuff, but I did see a ton of police cars flashing lights in the parking lot. One of the greatest perks to this event though was Exclusive Restroom Time. Just show your pass, and boom; your in. lol lol

The Ricochet lady employee did bad (at the end). She closed the line at least 5 minutes earlier than 8 pm (before the Miley Cyrus song / before the Carousel song). I was already in the line, but that's not right to other people that wanted to go in it. River Rocker across the way though was still letting people in up until 8pm. She is trying to get away with not letting people in for another (at least 5 minutes).
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby JT2002 on August 18th, 2018, 10:53 am
This is really getting stupid that the park doesn't seem to do enough to address this now chronic problem. Do they really want to be known as the theme park with all the fights?
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby IssaCoaster on August 18th, 2018, 12:15 pm
JT2002 wrote:This is really getting stupid that the park doesn't seem to do enough to address this now chronic problem. Do they really want to be known as the theme park with all the fights?

To add to this, there were at least 17 cop cars surrounding the outside of Burgerking just outside Six flags. So now we know it's not just a problem with the park. They should start banning people from coming back when they fight. Make it known to the people. It's not security's fault, It's the peoples' fault. People need to have more common sense and act appropiately in public. If you don't, you get thrown out. Y'all get what I'm trying to say?
IssaCoaster

Postby SaveTheWAVE on August 18th, 2018, 12:49 pm
Wow! Despicable. I think the park needs to terminate CAD altogether and bring in something like Coasters Before Breakfast. You know, pass holders would get to the park at 6 or 7 AM and ride until SFGAm opens. Of course, it’s unlikely they would do anything sensible to quell violence, but it’s a thought.
SaveTheWAVE

Postby Sven18 on August 18th, 2018, 2:10 pm
SaveTheWAVE wrote:Wow! Despicable. I think the park needs to terminate CAD altogether and bring in something like Coasters Before Breakfast. You know, pass holders would get to the park at 6 or 7 AM and ride until SFGAm opens. Of course, it’s unlikely they would do anything sensible to quell violence, but it’s a thought.

If a park can't have special ride events b/c of persistent incidence, it's a reflection of the clientele they are attracting. A good business takes efforts to sift these low end people out. Raise prices and see if that sifts out more of the riff raff. There will come a point where some patrons will not come or at least not come to any special ride night events. These are suppose to be a perk, not something you have to think about avoiding b/c of incidences.

SF as chain was sued and lost a claim for 32M b/c of a SFOG teen got beat up by gang members, some which were SF employees. They later settled for an undisclosed sum, but assume it was a good portion of the 32M verdict, instead of continued appeals. The case just settled this year, thought it took place in 2007. You would think they would be very sensitive to this, not only for the atmosphere, but it can hit them with serious financial consequences. They were also sued by the family with the line cutting incident last year, never heard whether its settled or is going thru litigation.
Last edited by Sven18 on August 18th, 2018, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sven18

Postby SaveTheWAVE on August 18th, 2018, 2:22 pm
I’m with you 100%. If SFGAm isn’t willing to change the Pass/Membership price structure to keep the riff raff out, then changing the times at which special events occur to make them more family friendly might be a solution.
SaveTheWAVE

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 18th, 2018, 2:27 pm
^Than, they would have to REVERT back Fright Fest without their devil spokesperson (nox). That is NOT a family friendly event! When you say NO mercy (opposite of God) at the entrance, you are not targeting families anymore! The wild, unruly people love that fest, so you have problems. It's not just this park (even the precious Cedar Fair parks), they have fights at during that time of year.

This is CALIFORNIA'S Great America (from last year)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swuivBoRcGY

Every year the park seems to get a little more wild, less Godly, and less family friendly (even the regular season). The wicked Joker coaster. Hangover (drunken coaster). Capone's (food) is based on Al Capone (a serial killer in Chicago) - Why couldn't they name it based on the superhero Batman (I'm 100 times more likely to go to a restaurant based on ANY superhero than I would to a ANY villain - They could play Batman cartoons in there.). What looked like "stripper cages" across from Hangover, and they were dancing in them, the Goliath name (the bad guy in the bible - David vs Goliath, and they are celebrating Goliath) ->The ride could have been called Colossus which I think is a great name. etc, etc.

Remember, Ignite. Chicago is BURNING down (Chicago's Great Fire). Let's celebrate that. Who in the world is coming up with this garbage?
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on August 18th, 2018, 3:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby JackGlass on August 18th, 2018, 2:59 pm
Sven18 wrote:
SaveTheWAVE wrote:Wow! Despicable. I think the park needs to terminate CAD altogether and bring in something like Coasters Before Breakfast. You know, pass holders would get to the park at 6 or 7 AM and ride until SFGAm opens. Of course, it’s unlikely they would do anything sensible to quell violence, but it’s a thought.

If a park can't have special ride events b/c of persistent incidence, it's a reflection of the clientele they are attracting. A good business takes efforts to sift these low end people out. Raise prices and see if that sifts out more of the riff raff. There will come a point where some patrons will not come or at least not come to any special ride night events. These are suppose to be a perk, not something you have to think about avoiding b/c of incidences.

SF as chain was sued and lost a claim for 32M b/c of a SFOG teen got beat up by gang members, some which were SF employees. They later settled for an undisclosed sum, but assume it was a good portion of the 32M verdict, instead of continued appeals. The case just settled this year, thought it took place in 2007. You would think they would be very sensitive to this, not only for the atmosphere, but it can hit them with serious financial consequences. They were also sued by the family with the line cutting incident last year, never heard whether its settled or is going thru litigation.

Having that dumb ass pop music blasting throughout the park doesn't seem to help. I think there's something about that music that activates the little savages and makes them go crazy, lol.
JackGlass

Postby JT2002 on August 18th, 2018, 3:06 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:
JT2002 wrote:This is really getting stupid that the park doesn't seem to do enough to address this now chronic problem. Do they really want to be known as the theme park with all the fights?

To add to this, there were at least 17 cop cars surrounding the outside of Burgerking just outside Six flags. So now we know it's not just a problem with the park. They should start banning people from coming back when they fight. Make it known to the people. It's not security's fault, It's the peoples' fault. People need to have more common sense and act appropiately in public. If you don't, you get thrown out. Y'all get what I'm trying to say?

That Burger King is a dump! The worst one I've been inside. And there should be a happy medium between frightening/thrilling (which, if you don't like all the unholiness of some ride names, stay in church) and good-natured fun.
Last edited by JT2002 on August 19th, 2018, 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby CoasterNick3157 on August 18th, 2018, 6:52 pm
Bobthebuilder645 wrote:There was another fight during coasters after dark today near River Rocker. It was a huge mob of people the blocked the path, police showed up.

What time was this i went to bull at 10 and didnt see any paths blocked or cops around but six lfags security
CoasterNick3157

Postby CoasterNick3157 on August 18th, 2018, 6:53 pm
Bobthebuilder645 wrote:There was another fight during coasters after dark today near River Rocker. It was a huge mob of people the blocked the path, police showed up.

got a video or pic for proof cause i didn't see or hear anything about a fight but there was a ton of teenagers there with plenty of their friends with
CoasterNick3157

Postby Bobthebuilder645 on August 18th, 2018, 6:58 pm
CoasterNick3157 wrote:

What time was this i went to bull at 10 and didnt see any paths blocked or cops around but six lfags security

It was right after 8
Bobthebuilder645

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 20th, 2018, 2:40 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:^Than, they would have to REVERT back Fright Fest without their devil spokesperson (nox). That is NOT a family friendly event! When you say NO mercy (opposite of God) at the entrance, you are not targeting families anymore! The wild, unruly people love that fest, so you have problems. It's not just this park (even the precious Cedar Fair parks), they have fights at during that time of year.

Every year the park seems to get a little more wild, less Godly, and less family friendly (even the regular season). The wicked Joker coaster. Hangover (drunken coaster). Capone's (food) is based on Al Capone (a serial killer in Chicago) - Why couldn't they name it based on the superhero Batman (I'm 100 times more likely to go to a restaurant based on ANY superhero than I would to a ANY villain - They could play Batman cartoons in there.). What looked like "stripper cages" across from Hangover, and they were dancing in them, the Goliath name (the bad guy in the bible - David vs Goliath, and they are celebrating Goliath) ->The ride could have been called Colossus which I think is a great name. etc, etc.

Remember, Ignite. Chicago is BURNING down (Chicago's Great Fire). Let's celebrate that. Who in the world is coming up with this garbage?

You make some very excellent points and I agree with you. I personally was offended with all the 666 stuff they promoted a few years ago for Fright Fest. Celebrate the good, the positive, the wholesome things!! Rides like Superman and Batman are good examples. As for Goliath, they could have definitely come up with a better name, and yeah, I don't like the Super Loop's name either (Hangover). Is it a surprise that all the violence is happening here, as well as in society in general?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 20th, 2018, 2:42 pm
JackGlass wrote:
Sven18 wrote:
SaveTheWAVE wrote:Having that dumb ass pop music blasting throughout the park doesn't seem to help. I think there's something about that music that activates the little savages and makes them go crazy, lol.

Totally agree about the music! I like the Ragtime stuff they played or play some vintage tunes by Chicago (this is Chicago area after all!), classic 80's arena rock like Journey, or even 60's Motown music.

Oh, one other thing, for the Coasters After Dark, perhaps they should NOT have it included in Bring A Friend discount for the week?? That would probably help keep the crowd down.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby IssaCoaster on August 20th, 2018, 7:44 pm
SaveTheWAVE wrote:I’m with you 100%. If SFGAm isn’t willing to change the Pass/Membership price structure to keep the riff raff out, then changing the times at which special events occur to make them more family friendly might be a solution.

I don't agree with you on this one. How would raising the price keep them out? Are you assuming that the people who act out of order are the people who can't afford it when you raise the price?
IssaCoaster

Postby JaminOut on August 20th, 2018, 11:11 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:
SaveTheWAVE wrote:I’m with you 100%. If SFGAm isn’t willing to change the Pass/Membership price structure to keep the riff raff out, then changing the times at which special events occur to make them more family friendly might be a solution.

I don't agree with you on this one. How would raising the price keep them out? Are you assuming that the people who act out of order are the people who can't afford it when you raise the price?

Generally speaking, yes.

Those who cause issues are definitely mostly from a lower income household. That is NOT to say that low income households are causing issues, it’s just that this type of behavioral issue can be found more commonly in lower income households.

These are not issues we commonly had prior to the installment of memberships and dirt cheap passes, now that the park is more openly accessible to lower income households (which is great), the park is also seeing an uptick in behavioral problems.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby IssaCoaster on August 20th, 2018, 11:17 pm
JaminOut wrote:
IssaCoaster wrote:

Generally speaking, yes.

Those who cause issues are definitely mostly from a lower income household. That is NOT to say that low income households are causing issues, it’s just that this type of behavioral issue can be found more commonly in lower income households.

These are not issues we commonly had prior to the installment of memberships and dirt cheap passes, now that the park is more openly accessible to lower income households (which is great), the park is also seeing an uptick in behavioral problems.

Hopefully Six Flags can figure out a solution to this quick. This seems to be a trend at a lot of parks lately and it's unsettling.
IssaCoaster

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on August 21st, 2018, 10:04 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:^Than, they would have to REVERT back Fright Fest without their devil spokesperson (nox). That is NOT a family friendly event! When you say NO mercy (opposite of God) at the entrance, you are not targeting families anymore! The wild, unruly people love that fest, so you have problems. It's not just this park (even the precious Cedar Fair parks), they have fights at during that time of year.

Exactly, I mean if the park becomes less family then events become less safer and people will stop coming which means less revenue for the park. For me they can start getting more family attractions and advertise them more so we wouldn't attract so many messed up people and honestly the park should also see what kind of employees they hire because almost every employee I hear always say something offensive or say a bad word and they are not helping the families who want to enjoy their day by enforcing their rules.

Also to be clear Colossus is the name of a guy in Deadpool a rated R movie and there should be more superhero themes added to coasters (especially Batman and you know why ... Because he's Batman :lol: .)
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby JT2002 on September 24th, 2018, 11:00 pm
A recent example that Great America isn't the only park that experiences fights like these, Cedar Fair's Valleyfair had a fight just the other day. http://amp.fox9.com/news/valleyfair-closes-early-after-fight-required-police-intervention
JT2002

Postby KruegerDad on September 25th, 2018, 9:43 am
I don't know that raising prices will help much. How many of the "rif raf" or trouble makers are running around in $500 sneakers? This is a societal problem as even ( and sometimes, especially) the wealthy are self involved, inconsiderate people with no patience or tolerance for others. Strict policy enforcement and tougher penalties is the only thing I see working.
KruegerDad

Postby SiliconMessiah on September 25th, 2018, 10:22 am
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:

Exactly, I mean if the park becomes less family then events become less safer and people will stop coming which means less revenue for the park. For me they can start getting more family attractions and advertise them more so we wouldn't attract so many messed up people and honestly the park should also see what kind of employees they hire because almost every employee I hear always say something offensive or say a bad word and they are not helping the families who want to enjoy their day by enforcing their rules.

Also to be clear Colossus is the name of a guy in Deadpool a rated R movie and there should be more superhero themes added to coasters (especially Batman and you know why ... Because he's Batman :lol: .)

I agree and disagree with some of these points. I don't think the naming of the rides is in bad taste. I actually really like the name Mardi Gras Hangover and think it's fairly clever. Goliath is a pretty stock name but the theme of the ride is done okay so I can't complain ("Colossus" would also be a pretty average name in my opinion but could fit the same theme).

We went to the Coasters After Dark in August and it was fun but it was clearly marketed towards the older crowd. There was a large group of teens pushing and swearing at each other with no regard for people around them. I would not classify this as the park's fault, I should have researched the event better and known it was not something that was terribly kid friendly.

With that being said, I really do hope that they work on the more kid friendly zones soon. I am really glad that they are getting Maxx Force, which should be a good albeit very short ride. However, we have young kids (ten, six, and four) and there really is not as much of the park that is friendly for the younger two as I remember there being when I was little. This is our first year having a membership and I have not gone to the park since 2005 before this year so I don't know what it's been like for the past decade plus. Here's hoping they update the kid zones because they look to be in deteriorating shape. There's just not enough family friendly rides to balance things out for our entire group.
SiliconMessiah

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum