Latest News
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Poll: Most overrated coaster at SFGAm? (By Enthusiasts)

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.

What SFGAm coaster is most overrated?

Poll ended at June 23rd, 2019, 6:48 pm

American Eagle (Either side)
No votes
Batman: The Ride
4%
Demon
4%
Goliath
21%
Little Dipper
No votes
Raging Bull
14%
Sprocket Rockets
No votes
Superman: Ultimate Flight
7%
The Dark Knight Coaster
4%
The Joker
11%
V2: Vertical Velocity
14%
Viper
11%
Whizzer
4%
X-Flight
7%

Total votes : 28

Postby RollingCoasting on June 23rd, 2018, 6:48 pm
Reading everyones thoughts in the Unpopular Opinions thread has got me thinking about this a bit. It's really interesting to see how some people rank certain coasters much higher and lower than others. In your opinion, what coaster do enthusiasts overrate the most? (I say enthusiasts specifically because if it were the GP everyone would vote Superman 8))

I'd have to say my top pick would be X-Flight. It's a fun ride, but I don't really see how some people have it as their #1 or #2 at the park. Its fairly short, not very intense, and the inversions are really drawn out. I understand some people find this appealing but I prefer more intense rides, especially for looping coasters. Side note - I actually don't really have a problem with the restraints to be honest. Not as bad as some people say.

My second pick would be American Eagle, followed by Viper and Whizzer.

I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts!

*Please be respectful of other posters opinions*
RollingCoasting

Postby American Eagle 1981 on June 23rd, 2018, 7:02 pm
Honestly I can’t think of one. It seems just about everything is underrated or gotten about right at the park by enthusiasts. I obviously overate American Eagle as I have it ranked 9 out of 125 but I don’t know about anything else.
American Eagle 1981

Postby SaveTheWAVE on June 23rd, 2018, 11:52 pm
Raging Bull. I will say that the drop in the last row is quite good, but the rest of the ride is uneventful. The trim brakes are only partially to blame.
SaveTheWAVE

Postby jmanporty7 on June 24th, 2018, 1:42 pm
^^ I personally think Raging Bull is underrated.
jmanporty7

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 24th, 2018, 4:55 pm
I wouldn't say any coaster at SFGAm is overrated. We seem to have a lot of underrated rides. I don't think any ride is overrated tbh.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Muck Finnesota on June 24th, 2018, 6:38 pm
I went for Viper. It's decent, but that's about the extent of it for me. I've never gotten a ride that compelled me to walk right back in line for it immediately afterwards. It seems to be highly regarded, I just don't know why.

I personally probably overrate Demon. I love Arrow's double-corkscrew element (and Arrow in general- appreciate them while you can)- and the ejector air in the last row on the first drop is among the best at this park. That is why vest restraints would absolutely ruin the ride.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on June 24th, 2018, 6:57 pm
My opinion Raging Bull is overated. I mean for me it does nothing at all.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby IssaCoaster on June 24th, 2018, 8:47 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:My opinion Raging Bull is overated. I mean for me it does nothing at all.
I agree with this. I remeber being nervous about riding this at first, and then it ended up doing nothing for me. I was dissapointed. I think the trim was one of the big problems I had. I actually feel like it takes away from the ride experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
IssaCoaster

Postby Muck Finnesota on June 24th, 2018, 10:58 pm
I think Raging Bull is mostly about the incredible first drop (amongst the best in America) and unique layout. The trim really isn't much of a thing. It's typically ranked towards the bottom of it's type by enthusiasts, anyway- not too many are overrating it. Raging Bull and Goliath (SFOG) are my personal favorites of the N. American B&M hypers (haven't tried Carowinds Intimidator yet). I thought Mako was overrated. I'll have Shambhala and Silverstar under my belt for comparison next year.

That said, opinions are like assholes...
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 25th, 2018, 6:22 pm
JOKER! That ride does absolutely NOTHING for me! It's totally boring for me.

I only go on it now because my 8yo likes it. But she's now been on Batman, X-Flight and Superman and has moved Joker down her list to #5 favorite.

Close 2nd is V2 (completely useless ride). I only go on it for a quick credit if there's no line.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on June 29th, 2018, 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby AirTimeDaz on June 26th, 2018, 11:48 am
This might grind a few gears, but these are only my opinion! I don't chide anyone for have different ones, but... For me, it's a toss-up between Goliath and Raging Bull (despite what my avatar may suggest.)

Goliath is basically 6 elements. (drop, raven turn, neg-g float, dive loop, zero-g stall, twist & shout). 7 if you count the break run, but who would do that? At least it has a pop of air so i'll give you 7. They're great elements, but not enough of them. So much height, so much wasted inertia, not much airtime. Even Oscar's Wacky Taxi looks like it has more pops of air and i wish i were kidding.

Raging Bull has the same wasted height issue for me. The pre-drop and Drop are great, everything else is like a mild to moderate twisty drive down lake shore drive. Fine if you like that kinda thing, but i'm an AIRTIME stan (see: username) so trims on an airtime hill makes me ragey, despite that, It's a decent coaster, but definitely not anywhere near the best of it's kind in my opinion.

The Chain Lift on twitter shared a USA today "Best 10" coaster award/poll that has Goliath #4, El Toro #5 and Steel Vengeance #10 and I hadn't had a good laugh like that in a long time, and for that, and despite me probably being RMC's biggest fan ever, that is the DEFINITION of "overrated" so I'm gonna have to go with Goliath. (Sorry Fred & Alan). :?

POLL

https://www.10best.com/awards/travel/be ... ster-2018/
AirTimeDaz

Postby AirTimeDaz on June 26th, 2018, 11:53 am
*deleted idk why it posted 3 times :?
Last edited by AirTimeDaz on June 26th, 2018, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
AirTimeDaz

Postby AirTimeDaz on June 26th, 2018, 11:54 am
*deleted idk why it posted 3 times :?
AirTimeDaz

Postby coasterjoy on June 26th, 2018, 2:50 pm
AirTimeDaz wrote:This might grind a few gears, but these are only my opinion! I don't chide anyone for have different ones, but... For me, it's a toss-up between Goliath and Raging Bull (despite what my avatar may suggest.)

Goliath is basically 6 elements. (drop, raven turn, neg-g float, dive loop, zero-g stall, twist & shout). 7 if you count the break run, but who would do that? At least it has a pop of air so i'll give you 7. They're great elements, but not enough of them. So much height, so much wasted inertia, not much airtime. Even Oscar's Wacky Taxi looks like it has more pops of air and i wish i were kidding.

Raging Bull has the same wasted height issue for me. The pre-drop and Drop are great, everything else is like a mild to moderate twisty drive down lake shore drive. Fine if you like that kinda thing, but i'm an AIRTIME stan (see: username) so trims on an airtime hill makes me ragey, despite that, It's a decent coaster, but definitely not anywhere near the best of it's kind in my opinion.

The Chain Lift on twitter shared a USA today "Best 10" coaster award/poll that has Goliath #4, El Toro #5 and Steel Vengeance #10 and I hadn't had a good laugh like that in a long time, and for that, and despite me probably being RMC's biggest fan ever, that is the DEFINITION of "overrated" so I'm gonna have to go with Goliath. (Sorry Fred & Alan). :?

POLL

I thought that poll was hilarious! As someone who has been on a lot of the coasters that were nominated for that poll, I was skeptical midway through voting because I saw how high Superman, Phantom's Revenge, and Goliath were lol Goliath and Superman are great coasters, but better than Steel Vengeance and El Toro?!? Ok that's just crazy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coasterjoy

Postby AirTimeDaz on June 26th, 2018, 4:39 pm
coasterjoy wrote:
AirTimeDaz wrote:This might grind a few gears, but these are only my opinion! I don't chide anyone for have different ones, but... For me, it's a toss-up between Goliath and Raging Bull (despite what my avatar may suggest.)

POLL

I thought that poll was hilarious! As someone who has been on a lot of the coasters that were nominated for that poll, I was skeptical midway through voting because I saw how high Superman, Phantom's Revenge, and Goliath were lol Goliath and Superman are great coasters, but better than Steel Vengeance and El Toro?!? Ok that's just crazy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol: I literally screamed with laughter!
AirTimeDaz

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum