Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Unpopular Opinions

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 25th, 2018, 6:24 pm
chicagoperson wrote:Thought it'd be an interesting thread :lol:

Mine: X-Flight on the right side & front row is the best ride in the park.

1) I like X-Flight on right and back, but front is great too! As for people who say it's "forceless" that' not true! Ride the right side and you'll get those 2 turns (mid-ride and end) that come close to ground.

X-Flight is my #1 ride at park!!

2) I like the Dark Knight also! I don't understand the hatred for the ride. It fills several niches nicely (dark ride, family ride, dependable ride, etc)

3) JOKER is an absolute waste of $$$$.
4) V2 is completely useless
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Goku1910 on June 25th, 2018, 7:27 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
chicagoperson wrote:Thought it'd be an interesting thread :lol:

Mine: X-Flight on the right side & front row is the best ride in the park.

1) I like X-Flight on right and back, but front is great too! As for people who say it's "forceless" that' not true! Ride the right side and you'll get those 2 turns (mid-ride and end) that come close to ground.

X-Flight is my #1 ride at park!!

2) I like the Dark Knight also! I don't understand the hatred for the ride. It fills several niches nicely (dark ride, family ride, dependable ride, etc)

3) JOKER is an absolute waste of $$$$.
4) V2 is completely useless

X-Flight is not my #1 but it is quite good, beats GateKeeper at Cedar Point that's for sure. Dark Knight was better when it first opened when all the ride effects were working but once you ride Flight of Fear at King's Island it becomes impossible to look at TDK the same ever again. Joker....well....it's just another clone. As for V2, it's trash for sure, but it is a launched coaster and I can live with it.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby SaveTheWAVE on June 25th, 2018, 11:15 pm
I rank Whizzer above Raging Bull.
Whizzer gives the best night ride in the park.
Viper, first car-second row is the airtime sweet spot. I also like it better than X Flight.
SaveTheWAVE

Postby CoasterDemon on June 26th, 2018, 10:29 am
SaveTheWAVE wrote:I rank Whizzer above Raging Bull.

Rockin! Yes!

SaveTheWAVE wrote:Viper, first car-second row is the airtime sweet spot. I also like it better than X Flight.

Have you tried seat #3? I always took 1 and 3 as the best seats for airtime on Viper. The "Herbert P. Schmeck moment of torque seat" as we have called it for years on Phoenix, etc. I'll have to re-visit seat 2!
CoasterDemon

Postby jmanporty7 on June 26th, 2018, 11:10 am
Sorry for the long post, but here I go...

Raging Bull is my #1 at SFGAm. I personally don't understand why people hate on it so much. In my opinion it's the most re-rideable ride in the whole park. It also provides one of the longest rides of the major thrill coasters in the park. While it may not have the most airtime out there, it well makes up for it for how good the airtime is from those few airtime moments. Goliath has about the same number of airtime moments as Raging Bull, but is a much shorter ride in terms of its length. That being said, I would probably like Goliath more if it were simply a longer ride, with a few more airtime moments. Just imagine if they took out the Wilderness Theater completely, and relocated Camp Cartoon (and possibly retheme it to Bugs Bunny Boomtown) to where the go-karts currently sit. They would make more room for a longer and even better Goliath, with more airtime and bank turns and possibly another inversion. But with the way these coasters stand, Raging Bull is better, at least in my opinion.
jmanporty7

Postby CoasterDemon on June 26th, 2018, 11:15 am
^I take Raging Bull over Goliath in a heartbeat. Goliath is so short, it's just not worth it to me most of the time. Raging Bull is also my favorite of the B&M hyper/giga coasters (I've been on most of them): that layout is super-unique!

My only complaint about Raging Bull is the half mile way to get back to the park (and the half mile walk to the ride). Shameful to treat your guests that way... but what a ride!
CoasterDemon

Postby SaveTheWAVE on June 26th, 2018, 11:38 am
CoasterDemon wrote:
SaveTheWAVE wrote:I rank Whizzer above Raging Bull.

Rockin! Yes!

SaveTheWAVE wrote:Viper, first car-second row is the airtime sweet spot. I also like it better than X Flight.

Have you tried seat #3? I always took 1 and 3 as the best seats for airtime on Viper. The "Herbert P. Schmeck moment of torque seat" as we have called it for years on Phoenix, etc. I'll have to re-visit seat 2!

I rode in row 3 on Viper yesterday. It was excellent, as usual. I prefer row 2 as the airtime is, in my opinion, just a touch better, plus it’s not a wheel seat, so there are no disadvantages.
The older I get, the more I think my skeletal structure is made from crisped rice cereal. Lol
SaveTheWAVE

Postby CoasterDemon on June 26th, 2018, 12:24 pm
^Ha! Have you ridden Voyage?

The wheel seats on 3 bench PTCs have classically been where the most airtime is... but I would say that whole front car is so good, it's probably hard to tell!
CoasterDemon

Postby coasterjoy on June 26th, 2018, 2:54 pm
CoasterDemon wrote:^Ha! Have you ridden Voyage?

The wheel seats on 3 bench PTCs have classically been where the most airtime is... but I would say that whole front car is so good, it's probably hard to tell!

The airtime in the back seat of Voyage is just crazy!!! The front seat is great too, but the back seat is even better! I'd love to ride that thing trimless at night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coasterjoy

Postby FParker185 on June 26th, 2018, 8:21 pm
They do that every year at Holiwood Nights
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 27th, 2018, 2:34 pm
*X-Flight is the worst B&M I've been on.

Been on: Sheikra, Kumba, Talon, Montu, (all the B&Ms at Great America including Iron Wolf), Chang, Raptor, Diamondback, Scream!, Mantis, Riddler's Revenge, Hyper at Over Georgia, Both inverts that were at Universal Islands of Adventure, Incredible Hulk, Hydra.

Slow, forceless (except the 1 inversion - keyhole), and the thing bounces / rattles so much. And I didn't even talk about the harnesses that close on your lungs.

That was one ride I was excited for. We get a similar style of ride like a B&M floorless / sitdown, and it's going to be close to Scream!, Kumba, Hydra, Incredible Hulk, but it's a failure for me. Such is life.

In case anyone's wondering, Talon is the 2nd worst of those for me.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby AirTimeDaz on June 27th, 2018, 3:51 pm
Ok I'll bite. I wouldn't be completely crestfallen if RMC were to one day turn Eagle into the world's longest hybrid racer. :?

*ducks flying tomato sauce jar*
AirTimeDaz

Postby tribar on June 27th, 2018, 4:41 pm
AirTimeDaz wrote:Ok I'll bite. I wouldn't be completely crestfallen if RMC were to one day turn Eagle into the world's longest hybrid racer. :?

Agreed. If RMC touches Eagle, it needs to be done correctly, not the half ass bullshit that they did to Colossus at SFMM.
tribar

Postby tribar on June 27th, 2018, 4:41 pm
AirTimeDaz wrote:Ok I'll bite. I wouldn't be completely crestfallen if RMC were to one day turn Eagle into the world's longest hybrid racer. :?

Agreed. If RMC touches Eagle, it needs to be done correctly, not the half ass bullshit that they did to Colossus at SFMM.
tribar

Postby Sven18 on June 27th, 2018, 4:59 pm
tribar wrote:

LOL. SF is not RMcing AE, the coaster has 9300ft of track. Even if they cut it down by 1/3rd it would be 6K track, which would cost more than SF can spend. Steel Vengeance is being projected to cost around 20M+ and it was 5700ft. SF can not afford under their cap exp formula to spend 20M on 1 coaster, which any good conversion of a 9300ft coaster would take. Also, leaving Viper as the lone wood coaster would make little sense. The park is likely to get a RMC, a RMC Raptor
Sven18

Postby JT2002 on July 1st, 2018, 5:48 pm
jmanporty7 wrote: Just imagine if they took out the Wilderness Theater completely, and relocated Camp Cartoon (and possibly retheme it to Bugs Bunny Boomtown) to where the go-karts currently sit.

The Go-karts used to be where Bugs Bunny National Park was (which was basically the same thing as Bugs Bunny Boomtown :lol: ) and I'd rather not see the Little Dipper go anyway.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 3rd, 2018, 9:27 am
Sven18 wrote:
tribar wrote:

LOL. SF is not RMcing AE, the coaster has 9300ft of track. Even if they cut it down by 1/3rd it would be 6K track, which would cost more than SF can spend. Steel Vengeance is being projected to cost around 20M+ and it was 5700ft. SF can not afford under their cap exp formula to spend 20M on 1 coaster, which any good conversion of a 9300ft coaster would take. Also, leaving Viper as the lone wood coaster would make little sense. The park is likely to get a RMC, a RMC Raptor

Viper wouldn’t be the lone wood coaster.....did you forget about Goliath?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby ChicagoCoasters on July 3rd, 2018, 10:27 am
1. Justice League isn't that bad. I find it fun.
2. Demon's best seat is second to back.
3. Raging Bull in the front row gives the most airtime.
4. Batman is my least favorite B&M at the park.
*ducks flying bricks*
Last edited by ChicagoCoasters on July 16th, 2018, 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby CoasterDemon on July 4th, 2018, 1:03 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:Viper wouldn’t be the lone wood coaster.....did you forget about Goliath?

The other woodie would be Little Dipper :) Not everyone is onboard calling Goliath a woodie. It's a hybrid coaster to me, with hybrid topper track. Yes, I'm aware RMC and Six Flags call it a wood coaster.

Come to think of it, calling the RMC topper track coasters "hybrid" is in fact a very unpopular opinion... to go with this thread.

While we are on that, American Eagle (which I LOVE!) has hyrbrid track as well, from the first drop to the helix. It's the original "hybrid" wood/steel track first done on Eagle ... I'm thinking around 1989/1990. This type of hybrid track was also on the first drop of the Texas Giant when that ride was new in 1990. Six Flags wanted to be ready for torn up track on the fastest part, and they learned their lesson with Eagle and Colossus (which also had hybrid steel/wood track put on in the 1990s. This is where the "fire" on Colossus started when they were getting ready for Twisted Colossus - torching apart that steel track.)

This type of hybrid track (Eagle, TG, Colossus) was also referred to as "I-beam tracks" in the industry at the time. Where the bottom 6 to 8 layers of wood would be (or 9, as Eagle originally had), there is a steel I-beam. On that beam rests the top 2 layers of wood and then the standard running track. This is where Eagle gets that strange vibration on that first run. The track ties and catwalks are all wood in here too. It is an opposite configuration than RMCs topper track.
CoasterDemon

Postby Viper 88 on July 16th, 2018, 10:58 am
If they ever did anything to AE they better not screw it up like Colossus leave the ride layout alone nothing on it needs changing just put the topper on and go about your business. It doesn't need to do upside down or have extreme banking just fix it DON'T ADD! I would say restore the racing capability of the trains. ALSO The trains DON'T NEED TO BE TOUCHED! They don't need the leg things like Goliath and to be even more narrow!
Viper 88

Postby Goku1910 on July 16th, 2018, 11:08 am
How do you put PTC trains on an RMC track?
Goku1910

Postby IssaCoaster on July 16th, 2018, 8:14 pm
Viper 88 wrote:If they ever did anything to AE they better not screw it up like Colossus leave the ride layout alone nothing on it needs changing just put the topper on and go about your business. It doesn't need to do upside down or have extreme banking just fix it DON'T ADD! I would say restore the racing capability of the trains. ALSO The trains DON'T NEED TO BE TOUCHED! They don't need the leg things like Goliath and to be even more narrow!

I think they should add more hills and some banking. I would say no inversions though. I and definetely extend the drop. The eagle is rough, but it has some good airtime. RMC would make it a scary ride.
IssaCoaster

Previous

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum