Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Unpopular Opinions

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby chicagoperson on June 19th, 2018, 11:20 pm
Thought it'd be an interesting thread :lol:

Mine: X-Flight on the right side & front row is the best ride in the park.
1. Steel Vengeance 2. El Toro 3. Maverick 4. Millennium Force 5. The Beast
chicagoperson

Postby RollingCoasting on June 19th, 2018, 11:54 pm
• Mardi Gras Hangover is one of the best rides in the park
• The food at SFGAm is actually pretty decent
• VR on Giant Drop was actually really fun
• Demon is actually fun and not rough at all (I use to feel the exact opposite lol)
• Don't care for any of the park's shows
• Don't care for any of the Fright Fest mazes, though I do enjoy the atmosphere of the event
• Paradise Plunge (Body slide in HH) is the worst ride at the park
• Great America Raceway was the best "flat" in the park before being taken out
• I don't think Superman is as boring as people say it is, though it's still not worth a long wait
• Raging Bull is the best ride in the park. I think people give it way too much crap because of the trims
• Ragin' Cajun was a great coaster
• Kind of a random one, but the new "Bavarian pretzels" are nowhere near as good as the old ones :P
RollingCoasting

Postby UnclePennybags on June 20th, 2018, 12:19 am
I wouldn't want to see a roller coaster replace Roaring Rapids, Yankee Clipper, or Logger's Run.
Last edited by UnclePennybags on June 20th, 2018, 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 20th, 2018, 12:42 am
Every ride that was there before Buccaneer Battle was the best in each category for me:
Deja Vu is still my favorite roller coaster anywhere. Sky Whirl was the best gentle / observation ride in the park's history for me. Hay Bailer was the best thrill flat in the park's history for me. And they put that piece of garbage when they got rid of so many greats..

I rather have Rolling Thunder back than the entire Southwest Territory (including Justice League).

I have more, but they are too controversial; and I will just rather not say.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby MrsTaxi on June 20th, 2018, 1:44 am
I'll play!

1. V2 is a boring coaster
2. Little Dipper is a waste of space *ducks*
3. I miss Rag'n Cajun
4. Fright Fest isn't scary...at all.
5. I like The Dark Knight coaster
6. Justice league will be like BB in a few years
7. AE is not rough..it's just right.
MrsTaxi

Postby American Eagle 1981 on June 20th, 2018, 2:39 am
I rank the coasters: American Eagle, Goliath, Raging Bull, X-Flight, Viper, V2, Batman, Superman, Joker, Whizzer, Demon, Dark Knight, Dipper, Sprockets. Eagle is also better than Top Thrill Dragster, Montu, Titan, and Mine Blower to name a few. Honestly, Great America is a pretty poorly run park.
American Eagle 1981

Postby LordMagnus101 on June 20th, 2018, 7:54 am
Flatten hurricane harbor and expand the park that is open all through the operating season. I never set foot in there and never will.
LordMagnus101

Postby cliffhanger on June 20th, 2018, 9:15 am
People who say Viper and AA are tough are riding it wrong. Think of it like riding a horse. Use your hips and try to keep your torso still by moving with the train. Don't tense up or sit tight in your seat.

DKC is a really fun ride if there is a short line.
cliffhanger

Postby CoasterDemon on June 20th, 2018, 11:14 am
RollingCoasting wrote: • Demon is actually fun and not rough at all (I use to feel the exact opposite lol)

Totally with you on both accounts. Demon is one of my favorite rides (along with Whizzer and Eagle (red)). If you keep your head away from the headrest, it's much smoother.

RollingCoasting wrote: • Raging Bull is the best ride in the park. I think people give it way too much crap because of the trims

Yes to the second part of what you said. I have never mentioned Raging Bull to another coaster/park fan without hearing a complaint about that stupid brake. I've been on every B&M hyper and giga on the continent and it's easily the most interesting and fun. That layout is genius (it's a tribute to the classic Cyclone layout <like Viper>), and the first drop cannot be matched on ANY B&M ride.

RollingCoasting wrote:• Ragin' Cajun was a great coaster

The operation was a nightmare (as is every ride at a SF park) but what a loss. The kids and family's loved it. I took a friend for his first visit to a park a few years ago... this was the ride he had the "most fun" on (he rode every coaster).
CoasterDemon

Postby JT2002 on June 20th, 2018, 11:33 am
The park should start actually making entertaining shows and not just dance parties. Park management constantly makes the wrong decisions. I'd rather see pictorium's spot become part of HH rather than a dry coaster.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby CoasterDemon on June 20th, 2018, 12:31 pm
The midways are WAY too loud. Turn down (or off) the music. Many people like to hear their friends and family talk, and not have to yell over the music constantly.

Turn OFF the recordings in the coaster stations. Adopt a hands-on individual approach like Cedar Point* does where someone is talking (and connecting) to the guests constantly. I could swear there are 3 or 4 different recordings (plus music) playing at some rides. If you connect with people, there will be more attention and faster dispatches. Safer too.

*I use Cedar Point as a good example of competent and high-quality operations and guest relations at a large thrill park. I don't use Cedar Point as a fanboy. I'm saying this because I used CP on a different forum as a model for Six Flags, and I was accused of playing the "Cedar Point is better" game. It's not a game, their operation runs circles around Six Flags. As do the operations at Holiday World, Knoebels, Hersheypark, Busch Gardens, Waldameer, etc. It's a problem that runs in the blood of Six Flags. If you want people to come to your park, to spend their money and to act respectfully... you have to respect them. That doesn't mean wearing ties and slacks when it's summer.
Last edited by CoasterDemon on June 20th, 2018, 12:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CoasterDemon

Postby SFGAmFan12 on June 20th, 2018, 12:44 pm
Buccaneer Battle and Justice League are two of the worst additions to the park in recent memory.

Buccaneer Battle is boring as hell, doesn’t get you wet, is too hard to use, and most of the guns are broken.

Justice League is overhyped and just as boring in my book. I would have love to have seen more of a Disney take with animatronics over the mostly screens and projectors which don’t always work in some scenes leading to a shaking vehicle and a black wall in front of you. Also remove the guns and 3D glasses...it’s mediocre and I don’t want half cleaned glasses on my face from nose picking, flea infested Timmy or too fat to walk and sweating everywhere Joe Bob.
SFGAmFan12

Postby CoasterDemon on June 20th, 2018, 1:25 pm
^In my opinion, the park needs MORE attractions like those 2. The families and kids love them, and if they want to attract a well-behaved crowd...
CoasterDemon

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 20th, 2018, 1:28 pm
^^I agree with your Justice League opinions. For screens, I'm sorry but my local arcade has better shooting games than what is on the screens for Justice League. I really, really enjoyed something like Scooby-Doo, and I wanted that in that spot - where you actually shoot targets instead, and even if you don't want to shoot targets, the scenes are good enough to just look at. Going back, the Wii has better shooting games than what Justice League is, in my opinion. Toy Story mania is way better, and that's all screens.

#1 to me is Men in Black
#2 was the Scooby-Doo rides
#3 is Toy Story Mania

Even the Legoland video ride I've seen (in Florida) looks better than what the park has.

^If both of those rides were better (Buccaneer Battle & Justice League), I wouldn't be complaining about them. Scooby-Doo dark ride, Thomas Town dark ride (Which they never created. They basically just overlayed the cheaper really small rides instead of adding the Thomas Train dark rides like they should have added), a BRAND NEW (Bigger) family coaster is what they need (The mouse coaster is really, really fun, but kind of small. The Little Dipper is kind of fun, but it's on the small side. They should get rid of Demon already, and put up a bigger family ride - similar to Whizzer's length -aka Backlot Stunt Coaster - an actual family coaster).

I also do NOT hate the Justice League at all. The Justice League characters are awesome. That's not my ride though. There is way, way TOO MUCH Joker in the park though. 3 Joker rides is ridiculous.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Sven18 on June 20th, 2018, 4:43 pm
1)Six Flags takes guest for granted and they accept it for low prices

2)Six Flags pricing structure gives away the farm..ie...free upgrade to gold pass during sale, free upgrade to premium dining w/ a season drink bottle, ability to get into any SF park with the lowest level of pass/membership. This may be addressed somewhat depending how they structure the 2018 Flash sale under the new membership push.

3)SF is not going to buy big expensive coasters. Linked to #1 and #2.
Last edited by Sven18 on June 20th, 2018, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sven18

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on June 20th, 2018, 4:59 pm
Sven18 wrote:1)Six Flags takes guest for granted and they accept it for low prices

2)Six Flags pricing structure gives away the farm..ie...free upgrade to gold pass during sale, free upgrade to premium dining w/ a season drink bottle, ability to get into any SF park with the lowest level of pass/membership. May be addressed somewhat depending how they structure the 2018 Flash sale under the new membership push.

3)SF is not going to buy big expensive coasters. Linked to #1 and #2.

It's not unpopular opinions, it's unpopular facts :lol:
_FuryBull_330_

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on June 20th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Double post: Mardi Gras Hangover is the best addition this year, the country music is the best music in the park. X Flight is the best ride in the park.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Sven18 on June 20th, 2018, 5:20 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:Double post: Mardi Gras Hangover is the best addition this year, the country music is the best music in the park. X Flight is the best ride in the park.

Mardi Gras Hangover is open, that's more than 6 parks(SFA,DK,MM,OT,Mex,Stl) can say about there 2018 additions. SFMM is looking at a July opening for their new ride 2 years in a row.
Sven18

Postby RBullFan97 on June 21st, 2018, 6:58 am
1. Mardi Gras Hangover is actually a solid flat ride and a nice addition to the park.
2. V2 is a lot of fun and I don't want to see it get removed for a long time.
3. I don't want to see either the flumes or Roaring Rapids removed for a new coaster.
4. American Eagle, Demon, and Viper are barely rough at all and I can ride those rides all day.
5. Raging Bull is my favorite ride in the park (maybe not technically the best, but it's my favorite. There's a difference).
6. The park does not NEED a new coaster for probably another 3-4 years at least (Even though I would like to see a coaster come to Pictorium's spot, we just got three coasters plus a thrilling flat in the past 6 years alone, so I'd like to see GAm focus more on kids and families in the next few years).
7. The pop music should either be turned down in volume or replaced with the themed music (not exactly unpopular around here, I just felt it needed to be stated again :lol: ).
8. I think the shows and entertainment in the past couple of years have been pretty unremarkable (Note: this is not a comment on the performers who I think are very talented). Yes there are a lot of shows now, but there is no variety; unless you like pop music dance parties, there's pretty much nothing for you.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby JT2002 on June 21st, 2018, 8:45 am
Sven18 wrote:
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:Double post: Mardi Gras Hangover is the best addition this year, the country music is the best music in the park. X Flight is the best ride in the park.

Mardi Gras Hangover is open, that's more than 6 parks(SFA,DK,MM,OT,Mex,Stl) can say about there 2018 additions. SFMM is looking at a July opening for their new ride 2 years in a row.

Six Flags takes forever to open any new ride, even a flat one. They can do better with park entertainment, much better. I'd like to see them bring back that Ignight show. I'd also rather them not take out the flumes and the rapids, they already took out SWF.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 21st, 2018, 10:40 am
1. American Eagle and Viper are probably my two favorite coasters at the park. That airtime is amazing!
2. Goliath isn't an extremely short ride, Outlaw Run isnt that much longer.
3. Mardi Gras Hangover is my new favorite flat at the park.
4. Hurricane Harbor doesn't desperately need a new addition.
5. Demon is pretty fun.
6. Not sure this is unpopular, but the park should include Orleans Place and Mardi Gras as one area. Just name the overall area New Orleans or Orleans Place.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Sven18 on June 21st, 2018, 11:12 am
JT2002 wrote:
Sven18 wrote:

Six Flags takes forever to open any new ride, even a flat one. They can do better with park entertainment, much better. I'd like to see them bring back that Ignight show. I'd also rather them not take out the flumes and the rapids, they already took out SWF.

I know and it's ridiculous. A park like SFOT kids have been out for a month almost now and the 2018 ride is not open and they stop full operations earlier in August than here. These warm weather parks should have stuff ready for the start of the season as they don;t have the possible winter weather issues like SFNE, GAM, etc..

I'd like to see either Yankee Clipper or Logger's Run go. The park doesn't need two flume rides. Also, in the new clearing if it's not a WP expansion, I'd like to see almost a new area. Even if they put in a Raptor, add over time a couple of flats. The park has become unbalanced with most of the new stuff lately going to one side...Goliath, Joker and Mardi Gras. I think a good 3 to 5 year plan would be a Raptor and 2 of the following Zamperla Discovery, Zamperla Endeavour, Turbillion, Skywarp in the new clearing.
Sven18

Postby SFGAmFan12 on June 21st, 2018, 5:34 pm
CoasterDemon wrote:^In my opinion, the park needs MORE attractions like those 2. The families and kids love them, and if they want to attract a well-behaved crowd...

I agree these types of attractions attract families but the execution of them is pretty poor. Like what’s been said in here the shooting portions are basically pointless and the screens are awful. I’m all for dark rides for the family but do it right, make it reliable, and give it a fun story. Goodness, drop some cash and hire away an Imagineer or two and throw money at one immersive attraction and duplicate chain wide. Don’t cheap out.
SFGAmFan12

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on June 22nd, 2018, 4:11 am
I wish Six Flags would increase it's capex from 9% to 12% or set capital spending at $150 Million a year and freeze it at that number indefinitely .

Take a year off from adding rides, and just pump that money into beautifying the parks and security upgrades.
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 25th, 2018, 6:24 pm
chicagoperson wrote:Thought it'd be an interesting thread :lol:

Mine: X-Flight on the right side & front row is the best ride in the park.

1) I like X-Flight on right and back, but front is great too! As for people who say it's "forceless" that' not true! Ride the right side and you'll get those 2 turns (mid-ride and end) that come close to ground.

X-Flight is my #1 ride at park!!

2) I like the Dark Knight also! I don't understand the hatred for the ride. It fills several niches nicely (dark ride, family ride, dependable ride, etc)

3) JOKER is an absolute waste of $$$$.
4) V2 is completely useless
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum