Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2019 rumors, thoughts, speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby JackGlass on August 14th, 2018, 1:00 am
Here's the S&S 4 across trains found on Extreme Rusher. Something like that would be a nice fit for the front of the park in my opinion.
Attachments
SANY0025.jpg
JackGlass

Postby gottastrata33 on August 14th, 2018, 4:02 am
1. That ride sounds like it’s in a mall.
2. Those coasters look shakey as hell.
3. That launch is incredible.
4. If we get one, I hope It’s more unique than that cause they’ve made a few & the layout really isn’t that great.
5. Those seats look uncomfortable.
gottastrata33

Postby jmanporty7 on August 14th, 2018, 9:10 am
IssaCoaster wrote:https://youtu.be/TgaWXVIfTHM Would this be something that Six Flags would install at Great America? It seems to go with the SPF 1000 they are talking about.... sort of

It is a clone of another coaster after all, and that's right up their alley for Six Flags.
jmanporty7

Postby IssaCoaster on August 14th, 2018, 9:33 am
gottastrata33 wrote:1. That ride sounds like it’s in a mall.
2. Those coasters look shakey as hell.
3. That launch is incredible.
4. If we get one, I hope It’s more unique than that cause they’ve made a few & the layout really isn’t that great.
5. Those seats look uncomfortable.

I bet S&S has perfected their launch coaster model by now. I really hate how there is a trim right in the middle of the first drop though. I also have to admit, it sounds like it was rough. Couldn't be any worse than American Eagle on a bad day though. I was just surprised to see that ssc1000 and spf1000 are strikingly similar. Coincidence?
IssaCoaster

Postby Muck Finnesota on August 14th, 2018, 10:45 am
IssaCoaster wrote:https://youtu.be/TgaWXVIfTHM Would this be something that Six Flags would install at Great America?

I don't know if Six Flags "would" - I guess we'll find out- but these are the Chinese designs that were being discussed up-thread. There are a few variations on that layout (some have inversions) but the video you linked shows the gist of it. People have wanted something along the lines of Mr. Freeze for quite a while, and this would that on steroids (and full circuit, to boot).
If indeed we have an S&S launcher coming here, I'm hopeful it would be very similar to those Chinese examples. They look great, and I've wanted one to be built stateside for years since I first learned of them- to have one built at my home park, of all places, would be fantastic.

S&S makes other launchers too, though. I hope it's not a garbage Sky Rocket II knockoff (Gale Force) that a shitty boardwalk park in Jersey built and struggled with for two years to get working. Those are great rides...for a park like Santa's Village. They are multi-launch LSM, whereas the Chinese examples are pneumatic (single) launch.

Fun side note about Gale Force: SkyHighCoasters (they will be erecting whatever GAm is building) were involved with the construction of Gale Force. It doesn't mean much, but interesting nonetheless.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby IssaCoaster on August 14th, 2018, 11:03 am
Muck Finnesota wrote:
IssaCoaster wrote:https://youtu.be/TgaWXVIfTHM Would this be something that Six Flags would install at Great America?

I don't know if Six Flags "would" - I guess we'll find out- but these are the Chinese designs that were being discussed up-thread. There are a few variations on that layout (some have inversions) but the video you linked shows the gist of it. People have wanted something along the lines of Mr. Freeze for quite a while, and this would that on steroids (and full circuit, to boot).
If indeed we have an S&S launcher coming here, I'm hopeful it would be very similar to those Chinese examples. They look great, and I've wanted one to be built stateside for years since I first learned of them- to have one built at my home park, of all places, would be fantastic.

S&S makes other launchers too, though. I hope it's not a garbage Sky Rocket II knockoff (Gale Force) that a shitty boardwalk park in Jersey built and struggled with for two years to get working. Those are great rides...for a park like Santa's Village. They are multi-launch LSM, whereas the Chinese examples are pneumatic (single) launch.

Fun side note about Gale Force: SkyHighCoasters (they will be erecting whatever GAm is building) were involved with the construction of Gale Force. It doesn't mean much, but interesting nonetheless.

They built a lot of things at Six flags apparently. I just hope if it an S&S launch, they make it unique to Six Flags Great America like a lot of you guys have said. I doubt it though. But at least I won't have to go to the other side of the world to ride an S&S launch.
IssaCoaster

Postby gottastrata33 on August 14th, 2018, 11:49 am
...those look great to you?

Out of all their launch coasters, the only ones that ever looked great were/are Hypersonic, Dodonpa, & Powder Keg. Dodonpa is an incredible world class coaster. The others like Bullet or Extreme Rusher have horrible & almost jarring looking layouts. They hold no comparison to it. Not one of them look smooth, they sound horrible & it’s literally just a series of awkward turns with little to no flow & tons of speed loss.

So yes, let’s hope it’s something unique cause those aren’t doin it. If it’s a “Dodonpa” I’m here for it.
gottastrata33

Postby Muck Finnesota on August 14th, 2018, 12:14 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:...those look great to you?

Out of all their launch coasters, the only ones that ever looked great were/are Hypersonic, Dodonpa, & Powder Keg. Dodonpa is an incredible world class coaster. The others like Bullet or Extreme Rusher have horrible & almost jarring looking layouts. They hold no comparison to it. Not one of them look smooth, they sound horrible & it’s literally just a series of awkward turns with little to no flow & tons of speed loss.

So yes, let’s hope it’s something unique cause those aren’t doin it. If it’s a “Dodonpa” I’m here for it.

You're making that assumption based on crappy POV videos. The reviews I've read (including this one from a fairly well traveled dude) say otherwise. They look great to me because they have interesting, extreme layouts- something GAm lacks apart from Batman and maybe Goliath (extreme), and Raging Bull/X-Flight (interesting, unique layouts). Hypersonic was an oval with a top hat that was scrapped for various reasons (including rider comfort), and you are probably going to be disappointed if you're holding out for a Dodonpa- S&S built a total of two of this type, the last being Dodonpa (going on 18 years ago now), and the aforementioned, defunct, Hypersonic. The bullet coasters look like they're the refined, evolved version of the Thrust Air, allowing for more complex layouts in addition to a great launch. With the pure shit Six Flags has been building as of late- RMC conversions aside- I would be ecstatic with something like that.

You mention Powder Keg, and I agree that it is a fantastic coaster (among my favorites). The Chinese coasters are basically cartoon-ish exaggerations of Powder Keg.
Last edited by Muck Finnesota on August 14th, 2018, 12:36 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Muck Finnesota

Postby SaveTheWAVE on August 14th, 2018, 12:19 pm
I retract my statement that SFGAm is receiving a T-Rex. If the next teaser has the same guy riding the fastest coaster in the park (Bull) let’s look closely at what other numbers are introduced in the video. It may give a hint at the top speed of the new attraction. As an example, let’s stick with the sunscreen idea: If dude rides RB with SPF 30 then 73+30=103 mph which may hint at the top speed of the ride. Just a thought.
SaveTheWAVE

Postby JackGlass on August 14th, 2018, 2:34 pm
Looks like Magic Mountain isn't getting a Mack. The same number on the track in that factory video can be found on the crates in Carowinds. The man in the video misspoke, Carolina not Califronia.

Edit: File is too big to upload. Check it out over at Theme Park Reviews Magic Mountain forum
JackGlass

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 14th, 2018, 2:47 pm
So I’m at the water park today and guess what I saw? Survey markers around the lazy river by the tornado. These markers were visible from the lazy river and on bolts of the tower tornado is on. At this point I think the park is playing with us...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby Goku1910 on August 14th, 2018, 3:11 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:So I’m at the water park today and guess what I saw? Survey markers around the lazy river by the tornado. These markers were visible from the lazy river and on bolts of the tower tornado is on. At this point I think the park is playing with us...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Again, could just be a reference point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby gottastrata33 on August 14th, 2018, 3:24 pm
Muck Finnesota wrote:

You're making that assumption based on crappy POV videos. The reviews I've read (including this one from a fairly well traveled dude) say otherwise. They look great to me because they have interesting, extreme layouts- something GAm lacks apart from Batman and maybe Goliath (extreme), and Raging Bull/X-Flight (interesting, unique layouts). Hypersonic was an oval with a top hat that was scrapped for various reasons (including rider comfort), and you are probably going to be disappointed if you're holding out for a Dodonpa- S&S built a total of two of this type, the last being Dodonpa (going on 18 years ago now), and the aforementioned, defunct, Hypersonic. The bullet coasters look like they're the refined, evolved version of the Thrust Air, allowing for more complex layouts in addition to a great launch. With the pure shit Six Flags has been building as of late- RMC conversions aside- I would be ecstatic with something like that.

You mention Powder Keg, and I agree that it is a fantastic coaster (among my favorites). The Chinese coasters are basically cartoon-ish exaggerations of Powder Keg.

& you’re makin your assumptions based off those exact same crappy POVs. You don’t have to explain anything to me about Dodonpa or these thrust air coasters for that matter. I’m well aware of when these rides were built & what S&S has gone through including the incident that happened on RingRacer in Germany nearly a decade ago.

What we can discuss is MY opinion being different from yours. I’ll agree they look “cartoonish” but to agree with you in a bad way. Those layouts suck after the tophat/tunnel with losing speed & awkward turns. That’s my opinion. I’m not defending Dodonpa or Hypersonic for having better ones but their simplicity & flow are a lot nicer than those that have come after it.
gottastrata33

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on August 14th, 2018, 3:44 pm
So if it's a coaster I have to possibilities.

A launch coaster: That reaches its fastest acceleration in two seconds.

A Trex that reaches its fastest acceleration in two seconds after or between the drop

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Muck Finnesota on August 14th, 2018, 6:12 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:& you’re makin your assumptions based off those exact same crappy POVs.

Not at all. My assumptions are based on reviews like the one I linked to. Images of the coaster on rcdb (etc.) are what initially piqued my interest in this coaster type. Of course I've watched the POV video- but that is far from enough for me to pass judgement on something I haven't ridden.
gottastrata33 wrote:What we can discuss is MY opinion being different from yours

Dude, not dismissing your opinion. No reason to get defensive. After all-

You asked, I answered.
Last edited by Muck Finnesota on August 14th, 2018, 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Muck Finnesota

Postby IssaCoaster on August 14th, 2018, 6:19 pm
JackGlass wrote:Looks like Magic Mountain isn't getting a Mack. The same number on the track in that factory video can be found on the crates in Carowinds. The man in the video misspoke, Carolina not Califronia.

Edit: File is too big to upload. Check it out over at Theme Park Reviews Magic Mountain forum

But what could they get then? I feel like they are getting a coaster.
IssaCoaster

Postby gottastrata33 on August 14th, 2018, 6:19 pm
You’re right, I did ask after all. My apologies for gettin defensive. I just think they’re ugly as hell & LOOK bad but I dont really know if they are or not.

We seem to be defending something we both may actually know little about. While you’re basing it off POV/reviews, I’m basing it off POV & layout/appearance. But have I ridden One of them? No. So I can’t really judge fully now can I?

I also am not on board with this launch coaster & I so badly want to be wrong. This just feels like a wildfire rumor & it’s spreading so quickly that people can’t see anything else.
gottastrata33

Postby Muck Finnesota on August 14th, 2018, 6:33 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:You’re right, I did ask after all. My apologies for gettin defensive. I just think they’re ugly as hell & LOOK bad but I dont really know if they are or not.

No worries. Discussion boards are for discussion.
gottastrata33 wrote:We seem to be defending something we both may actually know little about. While you’re basing it off POV/reviews, I’m basing it off POV & layout/appearance. But have I ridden One of them? No. So I can’t really judge fully now can I?

Agreed. In fact, I try to avoid watching POV video of something I may realistically eventually get the chance to ride- one reason is for the surprise factor when my ass is actually in the seat, and another is to not go in having made up my mind, one way or the other. I have watched this one, among others, because it's in China. I just don't see myself going to China.
gottastrata33 wrote:I also am not on board with this launch coaster & I so badly want to be wrong. This just feels like a wildfire rumor & it’s spreading so quickly that people can’t see anything else.

Yup. In the end we'll all just be forced to have a Six Flags Day(!) and get an oversized Skywarp or something.
Muck Finnesota

Postby gottastrata33 on August 14th, 2018, 6:52 pm
Aw hell no! but where’s the lie? Lol
We’re gonna have to wait a while but I’m excited for CW’s announcement tomorrow.
gottastrata33

Postby staticshadows on August 14th, 2018, 9:11 pm
staticshadows

Postby anewman35 on August 14th, 2018, 10:32 pm
Thoughts on that page:

Probably wouldn't read too much into the "We're planning something really big for Six Flags Great America in 2019!" wording, a bunch of other parks I checked have the same statement.

This IS however the first confirmation that I've seen that they are indeed having a Flash Sale on passes, which seemed a little questionable with their new focus on memberships.

They sort of imply memberships are on sale too, but that's probably a lie, right? Because they never actually discount those?

But I am interested in knowing more about "membership rewards"...
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on August 14th, 2018, 10:38 pm
CW was leaked. Looks amazing & makes me want a dive machine here even more one day.

As for that page - interesting. Maybe a Flash coaster like y’all said ;D
gottastrata33

Postby JackGlass on August 15th, 2018, 1:18 am
Damn, Yukon Striker looks insane! That's why I wish Six Flags would ditch this stupid "Every park gets something new every year" strategy. That's what stops us from getting a giga or a huge dive machine and really fixing up the parks. It's not a matter of money (They can easily afford it) It's a matter of strategy.
Attachments
db_2018_0814_YukonStriker11.jpg
JackGlass

Postby Wisco Woody on August 15th, 2018, 5:22 am
I've been saying on this forum for over 2 years now, since before the announcement of Joker coming to this park, that an S&S launched bullet coaster would be an ideal addition given their work with S&S and Alan Schilke. Now I'm not too hopeful that Six Flags is ready to splurge $20 million on finally giving us a coaster that surpasses 4,000 ft in length and over 80-90 mph and could actually be called world class, which is why I'm hoping that they wait until they are ready to spend that much to build us another coaster.

The last coaster that Six Flags has built from the ground up that was over 4,000 ft long and cost $20+ million was I believe the Goliath B&M hyper at Georgia, so if they do finally build such a coaster at any park next year, again sadly unlikely, it will be their biggest ground up coaster addition for the entire chain in at least 13 years.
Wisco Woody

Postby Mean Streaker on August 15th, 2018, 8:40 am
Does anyone remember the recent ride name survey?

It discussed names for a coaster that focuses on mainly speed. A lot of the suggestions were racing themed.

I know the surveys don't always mean something, but I'm noticing a lot of racing themes in the teasers. It could line up with the launch coaster predictions.
Mean Streaker

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum