Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2019 rumors, thoughts, speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby anewman35 on August 17th, 2018, 8:29 am
B&MGuy35 wrote:Quite possibly they had a teaser campaign planned out for “Hurricane Force 5” but had to cancel it. Since they didn’t know the name of the ride maybe they just decided against a teaser campaign since name was scrapped last min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possible, but I doubt it. They didn't even start doing anything until fairly late (if I'm remembering correctly), and the things they did were just minor things to King Chaos that inplied Hurricane stuff (life jackets, life preservers). The hurricanes that made them change the name didn't happen until just shortly before the announcement. So maybe there was something at the end they didn't do, but seems obvious they were never planning some big month long video series...
anewman35

Postby Muck Finnesota on August 17th, 2018, 10:10 am
As an aside- Maxx Force is such an awful name, but that would be par for the course, I guess. It sounds like a frigging energy drink. It fits the park, though, because that is totally the vibe you get nowadays from the moment you set foot through the gates- loud obnoxious music on loop, ADD teenagers running amok, colorful (to the point of seizure-inducing) ads plastered on every surface available. Wish they'd move away from that.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby Sven18 on August 17th, 2018, 10:45 am
Muck Finnesota wrote:As an aside- Maxx Force is such an awful name, but that would be par for the course, I guess. It sounds like a frigging energy drink. It fits the park, though, because that is totally the vibe you get nowadays from the moment you set foot through the gates- loud obnoxious music on loop, ADD teenagers running amok, colorful (to the point of seizure-inducing) ads plastered on every surface available. Wish they'd move away from that.

What? You don't think it's cool to have ads on roller coaster trains like many SF parks. SF would do anything for 1 more penny in revenue while doing anything to save a penny in food services(under staffed and poor choices)m rides and maintenance/aesthetics. It shows in how SF parks are compared to BG, Sea World, CF in the atmosphere of the parks.
Sven18

Postby IssaCoaster on August 17th, 2018, 11:31 am
Muck Finnesota wrote:As an aside- Maxx Force is such an awful name, but that would be par for the course, I guess. It sounds like a frigging energy drink. It fits the park, though, because that is totally the vibe you get nowadays from the moment you set foot through the gates- loud obnoxious music on loop, ADD teenagers running amok, colorful (to the point of seizure-inducing) ads plastered on every surface available. Wish they'd move away from that.

At least Maxx Force is not Goliath. I personally don't think it's that bad of a name. It sounds like the name of a ride that exerts a lot of forces on the body. Now Mardi Gra Hangover.... that's a bad name. And like Sven alluded too, these advertisements are starting to get pretty bad. They just slap it on coaster trains and plaster them on the walls. Maybe this 4 million dollar deal with the town will make this park look nice again. After the coaster or whatever they are adding this year, I just want them to spend time on making the park look nice and modernized. Like Cedar Point(I can dream).
IssaCoaster

Postby Goku1910 on August 17th, 2018, 11:36 am
IssaCoaster wrote:

At least Maxx Force is not Goliath. I personally don't think it's that bad of a name. It sounds like the name of a ride that exerts a lot of forces on the body. Now Mardi Gra Hangover.... that's a bad name. And like Sven alluded too, these advertisements are starting to get pretty bad. They just slap it on coaster trains and plaster them on the walls. Maybe this 4 million dollar deal with the town will make this park look nice again. After the coaster or whatever they are adding this year, I just want them to spend time on making the park look nice and modernized. Like Cedar Point(I can dream).
I have been supportive of this for years. I just don't see it ever happening.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby staticshadows on August 17th, 2018, 11:43 am
I like the name Maxx Force if this is an air launch coaster, but it reminds of the time Homer Simpson changed his name to Max Power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfy9Wzj1ROA
staticshadows

Postby JackGlass on August 17th, 2018, 1:05 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:

At the same time that's REALLY bad when the Village of Gurnee is like.... Hey.... Fix up your park and we'll give you a tax cut you cheap bastards, lol. I'm all for being fiscally conservative but up to a point. Cedar Fair is a great example of going the extra mile and spending a little bit more without bankrupting themselves. I look at the old attendance numbers from the 90's when Time Warner was in control... Great Adventure was getting almost 4 Million guests per year in 1997 without the water park without kingda Ka and without El Toro. That's because Time Warner treated it like a theme park and not a giant billboard and people had a great impression of the parks.
JackGlass

Postby Muck Finnesota on August 17th, 2018, 1:26 pm
JackGlass wrote:
IssaCoaster wrote:

At the same time that's REALLY bad when the Village of Gurnee is like.... Hey.... Fix up your park and we'll give you a tax cut you cheap bastards, lol. I'm all for being fiscally conservative but up to a point. Cedar Fair is a great example of going the extra mile and spending a little bit more without bankrupting themselves. I look at the old attendance numbers from the 90's when Time Warner was in control... Great Adventure was getting almost 4 Million guests per year in 1997 without the water park without kingda Ka and without El Toro. That's because Time Warner treated it like a theme park and not a giant billboard and people had a great impression of the parks.

The problem is, as long as they're laughing all the way to the bank, and shareholders are kept fat- why change? Really, the only way to provoke a change in their philosophy is to vote with your wallet. That's fine, except the hordes of trash people obviously don't give too much of a shit about these things to do that. They won't stop and think twice about why a garbage carnival ride is being marketed as the most incredible thing ever, and they'll shrug off the shit food (and even shittier prices) because it cost them all of like $11 to be able to come and go as they please, anytime they feel like it. This apparently works for Six Flags (and has worked- I feel like this death spiral in quality stems back to the Mr. Six/Venga Boys era), and I don't see it changing anytime soon.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby anewman35 on August 17th, 2018, 2:03 pm
I think some people are expecting a lot more out of this $4 million deal with Gurnee than is actually going to happen. The park is likely just going to do a bunch of stuff of normal repairs and replacements to things that they would have done anyway, they'll just save some money on taxes while doing it. They're both going to suddenly start caring a whole lot more about how the park looks than they do now. (I feel like I was a burned a few years ago when they said a few years ago that they were going to do work on a few areas as part of 40 years of Thrills, and then basically nothing happened)

Here's what one of the articles says they are doing:
"Noting the age of the park, Muetz said the improvements are expected to focus on needed capital updates and improvements for items such as restrooms, roofs, flooring, parking and general aesthetics.

The safety aspects could range from replacement of old metal detectors, to the purchase of new first aid equipment and increased cameras and lighting, he said"

So this is hardly "four million dollars to make the park looks better!"
anewman35

Postby Goku1910 on August 17th, 2018, 2:22 pm
I completely forgot about that tax credit agreement.

Just like you said I really don't think it will have any major impact on the park.

"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby staticshadows on August 17th, 2018, 2:51 pm
The park is actually spending $15 million on improvements over 7 years. The deal with Gurnee simply kicks back some of the amusement taxes over each of the 7 years until the $4 million goal is reached and Six Flags only gets the money if they generate amusement taxes beyond the predetermined amount each year.
staticshadows

Postby JackGlass on August 17th, 2018, 2:52 pm
Muck Finnesota, Completely agree! The current mentality is to spend as little as possible even if it means quality deteriorates, keep pass prices as low as possible and mirror the Walmart model. Which attracts all sorts of low lives and scumbags that further reduces the park experience. Essentially turning a once mighty theme park into a giant rodeo/carnival.

I remember when they used to have that fountain in Home Town Square, The shooting gallery in the South West Territory, That awesome arch by the Sky Whirl, the Light House in Yankee Harbor. All of that has eroded over time and you're right, as long as these Wall Street types are in control, I don't see it reverting back or improving.

Sven18 correctly pointed out that they want to reduce Capex in the future, yet they also want to add more parks. That can't end well for quality, lol
JackGlass

Postby Sven18 on August 17th, 2018, 3:15 pm
JackGlass wrote:Muck Finnesota, Completely agree! The current mentality is to spend as little as possible even if it means quality deteriorates, keep pass prices as low as possible and mirror the Walmart model. Which attracts all sorts of low lives and scumbags that further reduces the park experience. Essentially turning a once mighty theme park into a giant rodeo/carnival.

SF is actually trying to make a push for higher prices via memberships as they realized they have almost maxed out on the number of cheap passes they can sell. They are trying to convince a majority of people to pay 8.40/mth ($100.80/yr and 9.40/mth if you don't do the $20 security deposit) for at least a gold membership to get the same benefits they got in 2018 for a gold pass that cost $65. SF is trying to disguise a $35 price hike in the form of membership paid monthly over a lump sum. I am so interested to see how this turns out. Will people convert in mass? Will many just buy the devalued 2019 gold pass? It will take till 2020 season to really tell how it washes out. Unfortunately, even if SF can convince large numbers to go from gold passes to memberships they will just increase dividends, stock buy backs, and exec bonuses.
Sven18

Postby JackGlass on August 17th, 2018, 4:44 pm
Sven18 wrote:
JackGlass wrote:Muck Finnesota, Completely agree! The current mentality is to spend as little as possible even if it means quality deteriorates, keep pass prices as low as possible and mirror the Walmart model. Which attracts all sorts of low lives and scumbags that further reduces the park experience. Essentially turning a once mighty theme park into a giant rodeo/carnival.

SF is actually trying to make a push for higher prices via memberships as they realized they have almost maxed out on the number of cheap passes they can sell. They are trying to convince a majority of people to pay 8.40/mth ($100.80/yr and 9.40/mth if you don't do the $20 security deposit) for at least a gold membership to get the same benefits they got in 2018 for a gold pass that cost $65. SF is trying to disguise a $35 price hike in the form of membership paid monthly over a lump sum. I am so interested to see how this turns out. Will people convert in mass? Will many just buy the devalued 2019 gold pass? It will take till 2020 season to really tell how it washes out. Unfortunately, even if SF can convince large numbers to go from gold passes to memberships they will just increase dividends, stock buy backs, and exec bonuses.

Absolutely! I read an article recently about Six Flags and tax reform and the spokeswoman put it bluntly "We are not increasing Capex" All benefits from tax reform will go to the shareholders. So any price increase will never be put into the park, it will be put into the shareholders pockets.

That type of mindset is toxic when it comes to creating a quality theme park experience. But if this trend continues on, there's always a place by the lake, lol
JackGlass

Postby ilrider on August 17th, 2018, 5:03 pm
So, about that 2019 addition...lol
ilrider

Postby aaron60060 on August 17th, 2018, 5:14 pm
I'm betting it's some kind of coaster. My reasoning is fairly simple: The water park may need new attractions at SOME point, but in this case, in that case they can simply expand the water park out into the parking lot. Also, the land that Pictorium occupied, along with the surrounding unoccupied areas are PRICELESS in a landlocked park. Then there is the crux of my argument, which is that more thrill rides are needed to address the crowds the park draws. If you add another major capacity ride, that makes the lines on everything else that much shorter. I have no idea what's coming, but for these reasons, I say rollercoaster.
aaron60060

Postby aaron60060 on August 17th, 2018, 5:17 pm
JackGlass wrote:Is Great America the most profitable park in the chain? Based on the patterns post bankruptcy. Our park has been treated the best. X-Flight, Goliath, Joker and now possibly another huge coaster? There must be something about this park financially that's driving these investments.

SFGAM has an absolutely incredible location, with basically no competition to the north, or west. If your family lives in Minn, Wi, IA or NW Indiana, it's pretty tempting. Also happens to be in the third largest metro area in the country, which I'm sure helps.
aaron60060

Postby aaron60060 on August 17th, 2018, 5:28 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:Could Hometown Fun Machine be moving to Sky Trail's spot?

I think you nailed it. I love where fun machine is, but it might not be safe with whatever badboy is going in.
aaron60060

Postby IssaCoaster on August 17th, 2018, 5:58 pm
The Demon is in pretty bad shape right now guys. It's rusting everywhere
IssaCoaster

Postby anewman35 on August 17th, 2018, 6:25 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:The Demon is in pretty bad shape right now guys. It's rusting everywhere

I have a hard time with the idea they would take out the Demon without a big announcement beforehand for people to "get their last rides", and I don't know if it's already too late for that?
anewman35

Postby Goku1910 on August 17th, 2018, 6:31 pm
They would've said something by now.

Goku1910

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on August 17th, 2018, 7:01 pm
I feel like it's a coaster and not a water park expansion since they can expand through the water park since they pretty much expanded the preferred parking that NO ONE USES!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Sven18 on August 17th, 2018, 7:03 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:The Demon is in pretty bad shape right now guys. It's rusting everywhere

Other SF parks have coasters even worse..ie...on my Trips to SFOG, SFOT, SFFT the last month. Aesthetics is not a priority to SF, painting things cost money SF deosn't seem to want to spend b/c there's no ROI. Nice paint jobs and not having rust, if just about atmosphere and beautification, not a priority.
Sven18

Postby JackGlass on August 17th, 2018, 7:12 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:I feel like it's a coaster and not a water park expansion since they can expand through the water park since they pretty much expanded the preferred parking that NO ONE USES!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Maybe that's why the annual 2010 report states that Great America had 20 acres of potentially developable land and the 2016 annual report said that Great America has 30 acres of potentially developable land. Maybe they tossed some parking lot into that formula, lol
JackGlass

Postby JaminOut on August 17th, 2018, 8:50 pm

I don’t know what you keep trying to get at, but I just rode Demon today. It had a healthy line (15 minutes) and gave an as expected ride. I saw no noticeable rust on any supports, track, or structures. They were also playing the Demon Origin Story audio in the queue.

Back on the topic of 2016, there are a couple survey markers and paint markings with numbers along the service road under Whizzer. It does seem quite possible an addition could start near Sky Trail’s old spot, launch out behind Lobster and over the path, then meander around the Pictorium plot of land. Looking at the land today, it doesn’t look like you could fit a launched coaster in Pictorium’s spot alone.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum