Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Opening Day 2018

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby raginbullrider on April 21st, 2018, 9:00 am
This thread is to discuss updates and news for opening weekend 2018. Anybody heading to park via I94 should be aware that there is heavy construction and I94 West is currently A 2 Lane mess.
Former Six Flags Ride Operator - 2008-2011. "The Whizzer Guy." Also Worked at Demon, Batman, Viper, Raging Bull, Carousel, Big Easy Balloons, King Chaos, Orbit, Wiggles, Hometown Fun Machine, Triple Play, Log Flumes. I make and edit amusement park videos under the name Techie Dave Productions
raginbullrider

Postby raginbullrider on April 21st, 2018, 9:08 am
raginbullrider

Postby Lizardgi on April 21st, 2018, 12:18 pm
Whizzer seemingly closed all day. Buccaneer Battle running for some reason. Currently in what will be a 60 minute line at Mooseburger. Classic first day of being understaffed and half of restaurants still closed, making for monster lines to eat. They make good money on meal plan if nobody actually gets meals.
Lizardgi

Postby n9yty on April 21st, 2018, 5:35 pm
Trying to make the best of it, but worst food lines and service given the number of people here. JB'S told us as we placed the order that it would be over an hour to get the food.... What??
n9yty

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 21st, 2018, 5:53 pm
Just got back from a few hours at the park. Here's some of the biggest changes I noticed:

-Big Lou's is still under development, and is going where Buffet Le Grande was.
-The curb between the parking lot and metal detectors has been replaced with some asphalt and yellow poles(looks really nice!)
-A large chunk of the back lot is being repaved
-Seems like a lot of the coaster stations/queue lines have been powerwashed
-Eagle Blue is being retracked in the big helix(yay!)
-Eagle Red and Viper received very minor bits of retrack(literally 5 foot segments every so often. Doesn't change the ride very much)
-Sprint Experience isn't up yet
-A lot of the test seats have been removed/aren't out yet
-HITP ad with physical props is next to Sky Trek Tower
-There is a LOT of ads encouraging people to get membership. Even moreso at the food locations
-Six Below in Southwest Territory has more than just ice cream- they also have milkshakes(including 'to the max' ones that include an encrusted rim of the cup, an ice cream bar, whipped cream, and a whole lot of other stuff)
-Seems like a lot of the games have been replaced/swapped around
-Hangover is huge. You really can't get a sense of how big it is until you're right next to it.
-Camp Cartoon removed its physical characters. The pics from last week pretty much cover everything.
-Whizzer looks nice with the new paint
-Flumes have new paint, but it's not really noticable
-Firehouse Pizza is now Firehouse Snacks, but it was closed

Can't really think of much else that changed this year. Crowds were actually really manageable. Longest wait was no more than 20 minutes.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Lizardgi on April 21st, 2018, 8:08 pm
No question longest waits today was food. Exactly 60 mins for Mooseburger, 30 for spaghetti at Capones. Batman a walk on at 5pm, go figure.
Lizardgi

Postby Tardis1972 on April 21st, 2018, 10:31 pm
Yeah I had a great day as well. Rode every coaster that was open twice and some thrill rides.
Tardis1972

Postby Coaster Justin on April 22nd, 2018, 1:16 am
The Monster Hot Dogs really are Monster sized. Probably a foot long
Maw & Paw's ran out of soda, Cause their carbonization was broken
You need to make a reservation for your all season flash pass if you want to use it
Sprocket Rocket no longer plays the Jetson song
Goliath's Test Seat isn't there
Yogi, Boo-Boo, Ranger Smith, Fred, Barney, Great Gazoo, Jellystone are still all over Camp Cartoon
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby momlovescoasters on April 22nd, 2018, 7:42 am
Did they remove the Goodwill line at the entrance? I’m assuming so since they’ve added a separate entrance for memberships.
momlovescoasters

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on April 22nd, 2018, 8:26 am
There was no Goodwill entrance, however that side entrance was not being used at all. Members enter on the all the way left fourth (Split the main entrance into fourths)
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby raginbullrider on April 22nd, 2018, 8:35 am
I was curious how they were going to do membership parking and one time flash pass benefits. I’m at joker all day again today.
raginbullrider

Postby Lizardgi on April 22nd, 2018, 1:23 pm
Park is great today. Nice weather, low crowds, very short lines for rides. Food lines remain extremely long but more restaurants open than yesterday. Each one is still understaffed however.
Lizardgi

Postby Zod on April 22nd, 2018, 10:58 pm
Lizardgi wrote:Park is great today. Nice weather, low crowds, very short lines for rides. Food lines remain extremely long but more restaurants open than yesterday. Each one is still understaffed however.

I didn't go yesterday but I will agree with this about today. Food lines looked absolutely insane. I only got 2 snacks from the rare short line I came across.
Zod

Postby styxrtp on April 23rd, 2018, 6:43 am
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Just got back from a few hours at the park. Here's some of the biggest changes I noticed:

-Big Lou's is still under development, and is going where Buffet Le Grande was.
-The curb between the parking lot and metal detectors has been replaced with some asphalt and yellow poles(looks really nice!)
-A large chunk of the back lot is being repaved
-Seems like a lot of the coaster stations/queue lines have been powerwashed
-Eagle Blue is being retracked in the big helix(yay!)
-Eagle Red and Viper received very minor bits of retrack(literally 5 foot segments every so often. Doesn't change the ride very much)
-Sprint Experience isn't up yet
-A lot of the test seats have been removed/aren't out yet
-HITP ad with physical props is next to Sky Trek Tower
-There is a LOT of ads encouraging people to get membership. Even moreso at the food locations
-Six Below in Southwest Territory has more than just ice cream- they also have milkshakes(including 'to the max' ones that include an encrusted rim of the cup, an ice cream bar, whipped cream, and a whole lot of other stuff)
-Seems like a lot of the games have been replaced/swapped around
-Hangover is huge. You really can't get a sense of how big it is until you're right next to it.
-Camp Cartoon removed its physical characters. The pics from last week pretty much cover everything.
-Whizzer looks nice with the new paint
-Flumes have new paint, but it's not really noticable
-Firehouse Pizza is now Firehouse Snacks, but it was closed

Can't really think of much else that changed this year. Crowds were actually really manageable. Longest wait was no more than 20 minutes.

Firehouse Snacks was open when I was there Saturday. They didn't have the front doors open but the side one next to Season Pass Processing was. My wife and I got loaded nachos and churros. There was surprisingly, no line, but I chock that one up to both the Membership Processing and Season Pass Processing lines nearby.
styxrtp

Postby RBullFan97 on April 23rd, 2018, 7:27 am
I went on Sunday and food lines were very long. I was lucky enough to only have to wait about 5 minutes for a pretzel at Blue Ribbon Turkey Legs in County Fair, but if I had stayed longer and I had to get dinner, no thank you. Hopefully food operations improve soon, especially when you consider most ride wait times this weekend were under 30 minutes. I can only imagine the food lines on the really busy days if this keeps up.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby hoju74 on April 23rd, 2018, 12:18 pm
We ordered food at the bar inside JB's and that seemed to cut the wait down considerably. People in the main line at JB's seemed to wait much longer.
hoju74

Postby HCF on April 23rd, 2018, 1:12 pm
It was better than most days, because the crowds were dead
Last edited by HCF on March 10th, 2022, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some time, on way to successful, first of steps of all of the steps to being successful steps are hardest of all of the steps to successing.
HCF

Postby chicagoperson on April 23rd, 2018, 4:49 pm
Six Flags needs to adopt Cedar Fair's strategy when it comes to drink refills, because waiting 25 minutes for a coke is just dumb.
Have rooms full of self-serve pop machines with an attendant or two to make sure people aren't being stupid. All day at Cedar Point and i never once had to wait for a refill.
1. Steel Vengeance 2. El Toro 3. Maverick 4. Millennium Force 5. The Beast
chicagoperson

Postby n9yty on April 23rd, 2018, 9:57 pm
momlovescoasters wrote:Did they remove the Goodwill line at the entrance? I’m assuming so since they’ve added a separate entrance for memberships.

I had asked an online rep (via email) about this, and was told it would be here this year again. Maybe just not for opening weekend, or maybe they changed plans. But I was told it would be there in addition to the member entry.
n9yty

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on April 25th, 2018, 11:15 pm
raginbullrider wrote:This thread is to discuss updates and news for opening weekend 2018. Anybody heading to park via I94 should be aware that there is heavy construction and I94 West is currently A 2 Lane mess.

Wish I read this before I went to the park :lol: . On top of that, I come from Joliet area and take 355 north... but the ramp to get onto 355 was closed. Took a 10 mile detour... wasn't the most convenience.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum