Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Holiday In The Park Discussion Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby SFGAM_Hog on May 10th, 2018, 7:53 am
coasterfanatic wrote:
ChicagoCoasters wrote:I have recently been in contact with the park asking them questions about HITP.

Q: What rides will be closed during HITP?
A: The amount of rides closed depends on the weather. The rides known to be closed as of now are Marci Be as Hangover, Logger's Run, Yankee Flipper, Whizzer, Ricochet, Roaring Rapids, and Scenic Railway.

Q: Will all areas of the park be open for HITP?
A: All sections of the park will be open.

Q: What holiday foods will be available during HITP?
A: There has been no determination on what HITP will offer.

Q: Where will Santa photos be?
A: Santa will be available, but the location has not been determined.

Q: What are the hours on New Year's Eve?
A: The hours for New Year's Eve are 2 pm to 8 pm.

Q: Will there be ice skating on the Columbia Carousel lake for HITP?
I personally hated the answer for this. The answer was... a straight up NO. :evil:

I also asked the park why Bucky Battle wasn't on the list of ride closures and they answered. I don't know why it wasn't on the list. I would assume it would be closed during HITP. So maybe it will be gone by then. :wink:
So there are the answers to all of your questions about HITP.

How do we know that you aren't making this stuff up??? Is this from a credible park source? Why don't you show us the email? It's obvious flumes and Whizzer will be closed, but I doubt they made decisions about reflection pond already

I've emailed the park before and they've answered very quickly, so I'm assuming he could just have asked and gotten these answers.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby coasterfanatic on May 10th, 2018, 1:19 pm
I just have a hard time believing that the park would reveal that much information regarding what would be open or closed this early, plus the list of CLOSED rides are all kind of obvious...as the flumes are already closed for FF and Whizzer doesn't really run in even the littlest of bad weather.

All they really did was reveal obvious answers...and I am sure a lot could change between now and then...and how maintenance decides to their stuff
coasterfanatic

Postby ChicagoCoasters on May 10th, 2018, 3:19 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:
ChicagoCoasters wrote:I have recently been in contact with the park asking them questions about HITP.

Q: What rides will be closed during HITP?
A: The amount of rides closed depends on the weather. The rides known to be closed as of now are Marci Be as Hangover, Logger's Run, Yankee Flipper, Whizzer, Ricochet, Roaring Rapids, and Scenic Railway.

Q: Will all areas of the park be open for HITP?
A: All sections of the park will be open.

Q: What holiday foods will be available during HITP?
A: There has been no determination on what HITP will offer.

Q: Where will Santa photos be?
A: Santa will be available, but the location has not been determined.

Q: What are the hours on New Year's Eve?
A: The hours for New Year's Eve are 2 pm to 8 pm.

Q: Will there be ice skating on the Columbia Carousel lake for HITP?
I personally hated the answer for this. The answer was... a straight up NO. :evil:

I also asked the park why Bucky Battle wasn't on the list of ride closures and they answered. I don't know why it wasn't on the list. I would assume it would be closed during HITP. So maybe it will be gone by then. :wink:
So there are the answers to all of your questions about HITP.

How do we know that you aren't making this stuff up??? Is this from a credible park source? Why don't you show us the email? It's obvious flumes and Whizzer will be closed, but I doubt they made decisions about reflection pond already

I contacted the park through their contact form on the website. The park responded back with these answers. However, most of the details for HITP aren't final yet, but these ones from my post are final.
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 11th, 2018, 7:27 am
^ If for food selections are gingerbread cookies and free hot chocolate than I'm good :D .
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby ChicagoCoasters on May 11th, 2018, 3:02 pm
^Well it won't be free hot chocolate. They will probably have souvenir mugs to refill.
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby Mr.EveryDaySFGA on May 15th, 2018, 9:44 pm
This will be awesome

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Mr.EveryDaySFGA

Postby Necropolis on May 16th, 2018, 7:59 pm
I just found out about this earlier this week through their website! I am glad we can always count on this website to cover anything and everything that goes on at our park. :) I am looking forward to this!

I am surprised the Scenic Railway will be closed! I too think it would make for a wonderful Christmastime ride, there's a lot of potential there. I think that's going to be on the mind of many with a let down that it's closed.

Such a shame the park is closing at 8pm for New Years Eve. If you're going to be open until 8pm at night, why not stretch it until like 12:30 or something? Some have NYD off and the fact that one can't celebrate the new year is a turn off. Im sure there will be a lot of disappointed people. The park could earn from this. Or the park could charge a separate price entirely and have an event from like 9-1am for NYE. I am still baffled why such an event isn't happening. They went this far to open for the holidays.

I had to chuckle when I saw they are offering holiday shopping. Ugly sweaters only $60 a pop :lol: (Not literally but is assumed)

And for those who were wondering what treats they are having, from their website:
"From fireside S’mores and caramel apple funnel cakes, to hot chocolate and eggnog, our Holiday in the Park-exclusive culinary treats will have you hoping the winter season never leaves."
Necropolis

Postby Viper 88 on June 15th, 2018, 9:54 am
I don't like it it's gonna be too cold. I think it'll be a colossal waste of time and money. I'd rather them spend the money on FF and bring back JPM. Honestly with what they'll be shelling out I think they'd make more back during FF. Weather in Nov and Dec can turn nasty on a dime. This might be too stressfull on rides thing of it cold steel friction and heat from rollercoaster wheels= cracks and problems.
Viper 88

Postby Jodon on June 16th, 2018, 3:38 pm
There's no need to bring back JPM for Fright Fest. FF is currently the busiest time of the season for SFGAm so there is no reason to change what they are doing.

Also HITP allows more opportunities for guests to come through the gate and spend money. Even if it's cold and the many of the rides are not working, families want to have a holiday event where they can be awed by lights, consume hot chocolate and other holiday treats, and spend time together. The holiday lights at the Morton Arboretum and Brookfield Zoo are really popular, so add the possibliity of riding some coasters or dark/flat rides, SFGAm HITP has huge potential provided they don't skimp on the lights.
Jodon

Postby Coaster Justin on June 16th, 2018, 6:55 pm
Jodon wrote:There's no need to bring back JPM for Fright Fest. FF is currently the busiest time of the season for SFGAm so there is no reason to change what they are doing.

Also HITP allows more opportunities for guests to come through the gate and spend money. Even if it's cold and the many of the rides are not working, families want to have a holiday event where they can be awed by lights, consume hot chocolate and other holiday treats, and spend time together. The holiday lights at the Morton Arboretum and Brookfield Zoo are really popular, so add the possibliity of riding some coasters or dark/flat rides, SFGAm HITP has huge potential provided they don't skimp on the lights.

Fright Fest also has BAFF Tickets which artificially inflate the crowds.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Mr.EveryDaySFGA on June 17th, 2018, 10:52 pm
Will rides be running tho

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Mr.EveryDaySFGA

Postby Carlo on July 19th, 2018, 7:33 am
I know HIP is still a while away but when I was at the park on Sunday I noticed they had Christmas lights up on the county fair train station. Also looks like they are installing some type of lighting throughout the park that appear to be for the trees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Carlo
Carlo

Postby RBullFan97 on July 19th, 2018, 10:16 am
^That's cool to hear. It's still weird to think that this season is only about a third of the way over thanks to HITP. It'll really be interesting to see want rides/areas will be open. Let's hope this experiment works!
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby JaminOut on July 19th, 2018, 1:03 pm
Lights have also been put on top of the roof of the County Fair Food Court.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 19th, 2018, 1:12 pm
I would imagine they do all the buildings now. Trees in the other hand I would bunk hey would wait until they lost their leaves in the fall to adds lights. It doesn’t make sense while they have leaves on them.

I’m at the park now. I’ll let you know if I see anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 19th, 2018, 1:34 pm
I can confirm that lights have started to hung. All the buildings around the Food court have them!ImageImageImageImageImage

B&MGuy35

Postby ChicagoCoasters on July 19th, 2018, 4:02 pm
That's so cool to see. Thanks for the photos.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on July 19th, 2018, 8:08 pm
Are they really planning to go all and out with this thing. Man before you notice they will light up the entire city if Gurnee and I'll be able to see it from where I live :lol: .

Edit: Spelling (what is wrong with my phone).
_FuryBull_330_

Postby super7 on July 30th, 2018, 3:38 pm
The Railroads at Busch Gardens, King's Island and Dollywood for their holiday events are PACKED because they are total family rides for the holiday. Will Scenic Railway be closed because Six Flags thinks their dilapidated equipment won't be able to handle the large ridership? :shock:
super7

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 30th, 2018, 3:45 pm
super7 wrote:The Railroads at Busch Gardens, King's Island and Dollywood for their holiday events are PACKED because they are total family rides for the holiday. Will Scenic Railway be closed because Six Flags thinks their dilapidated equipment won't be able to handle the large ridership? :shock:

This year for sure it will be closed. I’m assuming construction will start in November and with it being so close to the tracks they will not be able to run it. However maybe next year it will be open.

B&MGuy35

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 30th, 2018, 3:45 pm
super7 wrote:The Railroads at Busch Gardens, King's Island and Dollywood for their holiday events are PACKED because they are total family rides for the holiday. Will Scenic Railway be closed because Six Flags thinks their dilapidated equipment won't be able to handle the large ridership? :shock:

This year for sure it will be closed. I’m assuming construction will start in November and with it being so close to the tracks they will not be able to run it. However maybe next year it will be open.

B&MGuy35

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on July 30th, 2018, 4:39 pm
I just had an epic idea of what the park could do. As you know every one knows that Terror Twister Two gives a legendary ride during Fright Fest but we won't be able to enjoy it anymore at the end of Fright Fest. Well I had the idea instead of removing the effects, you should keep them and instead of being Halloween themed you should have it Christmas themed. Don't shut off the lights at the beginning just put some Christmas lights at the beginning so it wouldn't scare children as much as it would. That's my idea that I'll totally share with the park.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby UWW-10 on July 31st, 2018, 11:09 am
As long as people go into this event with the expectation that the major focus will not be rides/attractions because I can't see the park offering that many anyhow (and contacting the park this early about what rides they are going to offer doesn't hold any merit)

It also wouldn't surprise me if they decided to not open/close early during the event...I get that hours are already limited but we are talking about a time of year that has potential for snow accumulation and temperatures below freezing....and most people are not going to venture out in it if they don't have to.
UWW-10

Postby SaveTheWAVE on August 2nd, 2018, 2:49 pm
The only coasters I could see being open are B: TR, as its layout is the most “downhill” in the park, and V2. However, if there were more coasters open during HITP, how would that affect the maintenance schedule of the rides that remain open?
SaveTheWAVE

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 2nd, 2018, 5:44 pm
Did I read that right? All sections open in the park? Theming can't be that present throughout the whole park...
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum