Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Holiday In The Park Discussion Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby astucks18 on April 13th, 2018, 7:20 pm
onyxhotel08 wrote:Can someone explain to me how coasters/rides can work in the late November/December Chicago temps? With snow? How cold is too cold? Would snow on tracks cause a problem? If this was possible why not do it till now?
The cold weather makes it very difficult to get rides running. It freezes up any kind of fluids in the systems. Most oil and grease become really thick in cold weather and sorta just seizes up moving parts. Pneumatic systems also freeze up which keeps rides from starting up. I've heard that some rides might have heaters installed to keep this from happening, so hopefully that would help. As for snow, I don't think it being on the tracks is a big deal, but if its on the tracks then its likely on the sensors too, which tricks the ride system.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
astucks18

Postby coasterfanatic on April 13th, 2018, 10:32 pm
I was at the Last Call last year when it snowed and after it stopped snowing, all the rides ran well and surprisingly were all up and running despite the cold.

We know all the indoor rides will be open for sure!

Whizzer is very bad even in the slightest rain so I doubt that will be open. But this isn't about the rides. Rides will be open to compliment the lights, but this is about the lights, the food, the decorations etc.
coasterfanatic

Postby Muck Finnesota on April 14th, 2018, 12:10 am
Great Adventure seems to have no problem running their B&M collection in absurd conditions. I wouldn't expect quite that from Great America in the first year, but nothing too shabby, either.

My guess is a worst case scenario includes Superman, Dark Knight Coaster, Batman, and Joker. Best case would be the aforementioned, along with Demon, V2 (Little Dipper and Spacely as well). I'd love for Raging Bull to be open, but I get the feeling SW Territory won't be part of this, apart from the Justice League area. All random speculation.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby coasterfanatic on April 14th, 2018, 3:03 pm
It really all just depends on the weather. It's safe to say that no coasters will be running 3 trains.

You also have to take into consideration the new maintenance schedule for the rides since the park will open til the end of the year.

If weather cooperates, especially in late Novemeber, early December, a good portion of the park could be open and running.

I hope they run the train, and do a Polar Express themed train ride or something...
coasterfanatic

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 14th, 2018, 3:15 pm
Muck Finnesota wrote:Great Adventure seems to have no problem running their B&M collection in absurd conditions. I wouldn't expect quite that from Great America in the first year, but nothing too shabby, either.

My guess is a worst case scenario includes Superman, Dark Knight Coaster, Batman, and Joker. Best case would be the aforementioned, along with Demon, V2 (Little Dipper and Spacely as well). I'd love for Raging Bull to be open, but I get the feeling SW Territory won't be part of this, apart from the Justice League area. All random speculation.

The reason why they have no problem is because they have a warmer climate situation. If our weather wasn't so cold we would have no problem running every single ride (and yes that includes Whizzer).
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby anewman35 on April 14th, 2018, 6:21 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:
Muck Finnesota wrote:Great Adventure seems to have no problem running their B&M collection in absurd conditions. I wouldn't expect quite that from Great America in the first year, but nothing too shabby, either.

The reason why they have no problem is because they have a warmer climate situation. If our weather wasn't so cold we would have no problem running every single ride (and yes that includes Whizzer).

Great Adventure may have slightly better overall weather, but it's not as if there's some huge gap. I would say on any given day of HitP it's very possible we'd have warmer weather than they do...
anewman35

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 14th, 2018, 7:06 pm
anewman35 wrote:
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:

Great Adventure may have slightly better overall weather, but it's not as if there's some huge gap. I would say on any given day of HitP it's very possible we'd have warmer weather than they do...

You're right and also I realize that Raging Bull can still run in cold weathers. Raging Bull is not like those out and back layout hyper coasters like Diamondback or Nitro. Those coasters need somewhat good temperatures to go over those huge camelbacks and not go slow and get stuck. However Raging Bull is not a huge hyper with large camelbacks so it doesn't need a lot of speed or that type of oil they use on B&Ms to go over or around it's layout. I may be wrong but it is just my theory.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Goku1910 on April 15th, 2018, 5:18 pm
Days like today are my reasoning for voting against Holiday in the Park. As cool as it sounds I doubt Great America will be able to pull off interesting shows and events to supplement the lack of rides or attractions to do. The only show I dedicate my time to see each year is Love at First Fright and I don't have high hopes they will come up with something better for HitP.

They cancelled the private event for today due to rain and freezing temperatures, if people don't think this will happen in November-December they're sorely mistaken.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Goku1910 on April 15th, 2018, 5:24 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:However Raging Bull is not a huge hyper with large camelbacks so it doesn't need a lot of speed or that type of oil they use on B&Ms to go over or around it's layout. I may be wrong but it is just my theory.

There was rumors of Raging Bull suffering a valley a few years back during cold weather testing before opening day. It supposedly didn't make it over the camelback after the first turn.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 15th, 2018, 5:48 pm
^ Don't believe every rumor there is. Always assume rumors are false. Raging Bull valleying is very unlikely. I saw Nitro run in 30 degree weather without valleying and I know because I was on the train.

_FuryBull_330_

Postby DejaVu2001 on April 15th, 2018, 6:10 pm
^ :lol: Sure. Keep thinking that.
DejaVu2001

Postby astucks18 on April 15th, 2018, 7:08 pm
Goku1910 wrote:Days like today are my reasoning for voting against Holiday in the Park. As cool as it sounds I doubt Great America will be able to pull off interesting shows and events to supplement the lack of rides or attractions to do. The only show I dedicate my time to see each year is Love at First Fright and I don't have high hopes they will come up with something better for HitP.

They cancelled the private event for today due to rain and freezing temperatures, if people don't think this will happen in November-December they're sorely mistaken.
I agree with you but to be fair, today was especially bad. I was in the park today when they called it off and every path was just straight inch thick Ice.

astucks18

Postby Goku1910 on April 15th, 2018, 7:27 pm
My point exactly. Days like today can and will repeat themselves in November or December so I really do want to see Great America wow me with some awesome decorations and shows. Otherwise it may end up being an underwhelming event.
Goku1910

Postby anewman35 on April 15th, 2018, 7:40 pm
Goku1910 wrote:My point exactly. Days like today can and will repeat themselves in November or December so I really do want to see Great America wow me with some awesome decorations and shows. Otherwise it may end up being an underwhelming event.

Well, yeah, that's the point. As other people have said, HITP isn't really so much about the rides, because they're never going to have as many rides open as normal (and I can't imagine there are THAT many people really wanting to go on roller coasters in freezing weather). The non-ride stuff is what will make and break the event, and they've done this enough times at other parks now that hopefully they know what they are doing.
anewman35

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 15th, 2018, 8:50 pm
anewman35 wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:My point exactly. Days like today can and will repeat themselves in November or December so I really do want to see Great America wow me with some awesome decorations and shows. Otherwise it may end up being an underwhelming event.

Well, yeah, that's the point. As other people have said, HITP isn't really so much about the rides, because they're never going to have as many rides open as normal (and I can't imagine there are THAT many people really wanting to go on roller coasters in freezing weather). The non-ride stuff is what will make and break the event, and they've done this enough times at other parks now that hopefully they know what they are doing.

True I always thrive for the nice holiday cheer and now that they are doing Hitp now my family doesn't have to drive all the way to Chicago :).
_FuryBull_330_

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 16th, 2018, 11:15 am
anewman35 wrote:The actual press release link is here: http://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/ne ... il-11-2018

(They've also changed their Facebook profile pic to one that's promoting using your passes for Fright Fest and HitP)

Thanks for posting this article! I see on here that season passes are valid for this event.

I'm THRILLED about HITP! My birthday is 12/13 so I am looking forward to going on 12/15 (at least) and hopefully I can ride a few coasters!!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 16th, 2018, 12:05 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
anewman35 wrote:The actual press release link is here: http://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/ne ... il-11-2018

(They've also changed their Facebook profile pic to one that's promoting using your passes for Fright Fest and HitP)

Thanks for posting this article! I see on here that season passes are valid for this event.

I'm THRILLED about HITP! My birthday is 12/13 so I am looking forward to going on 12/15 (at least) and hopefully I can ride a few coasters!!

Looking at the lights while riding Goliath would be a dream :D .

_FuryBull_330_

Postby astucks18 on April 16th, 2018, 12:10 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:

Looking at the lights while riding Goliath would be a dream :D .
Man goliath would be so cool in the winter, too bad it doesn't do to well in the cold :(

astucks18

Postby MrsTaxi on April 16th, 2018, 12:14 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:^ Don't believe every rumor there is. Always assume rumors are false. Raging Bull valleying is very unlikely. I saw Nitro run in 30 degree weather without valleying and I know because I was on the train.

Raging Bull can and has valleyed before. Just FYI.
MrsTaxi

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 16th, 2018, 2:49 pm
^ But I still think they can pull it off :D .

_FuryBull_330_

Postby chicagoperson on April 16th, 2018, 3:30 pm
Goku1910 wrote:
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:However Raging Bull is not a huge hyper with large camelbacks so it doesn't need a lot of speed or that type of oil they use on B&Ms to go over or around it's layout. I may be wrong but it is just my theory.

There was rumors of Raging Bull suffering a valley a few years back during cold weather testing before opening day. It supposedly didn't make it over the camelback after the first turn.

Sounds to me like an opportunity for the trims to be turned off.
1. Steel Vengeance 2. El Toro 3. Maverick 4. Millennium Force 5. The Beast
chicagoperson

Postby Goku1910 on April 16th, 2018, 4:38 pm
Trims were off. :lol:

If the wind catches it just right...
Goku1910

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 16th, 2018, 4:55 pm
chicagoperson wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:

Sounds to me like an opportunity for the trims to be turned off.

Hahaha Six Flags Great America turning Raging Bull's trims off is like saying Worlds of Fun is going to get a Giga in the next 10 years, unlikely :lol: .

_FuryBull_330_

Postby astucks18 on April 16th, 2018, 5:14 pm
To be fair, the trims do not activate if the train is going under a certain speed.

astucks18

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 16th, 2018, 6:38 pm
The trim(or any trim, for that matter) is not as simple as a light switch. The trim is there for a reason, and it's an important one. The ride was designed so that the train takes the course at a certain speed. However, things like train weight, temperature, and wind can affect this speed. That's what the trim is for. If the train is going at or below the designed speed, then the trim simply doesn't activate. Slowing the train down further can lead to a valley(which, as said before, has happened). If the ride senses that the train is going too fast, the trims will activate to slow the train down to this speed. If the ride is taken at too high of a speed, then there is the risk of damaging the train and track, which can lead to a bumpier ride. This is why many people say Raging Bull is smoother than things like Diamondback, which were built 10 years apart.

I know the trim takes potential airtime away from the ride, but would you really sacrifice this ride's smoothness for a singular airtime moment that might just end up being 'ok'? I personally wouldn't.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum