Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Mardi Gras Hangover Discussion Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby staticshadows on September 1st, 2017, 10:12 am
gottastrata33 wrote:Anyone else surprised they didn't have anything to say about the China or Dubai projects? I'd love to see some details on that & maybe then I'll understand why so many parks are getting "smaller major additions". I would assume they are putting at least one to two major coasters in each park along with the six flags staple low capacity coasters lol

Six Flags isn't spending any money on those projects so it has nothing to do with what they spend on the parks here.
staticshadows

Postby Galvan on September 1st, 2017, 12:05 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:Wondering if Harvey has anything to do with the name not being announced

That had everything to do with it
Galvan

Postby LordMagnus101 on September 1st, 2017, 12:58 pm
Call it "The Laundromat"
LordMagnus101

Postby RollingCoasting on September 1st, 2017, 1:06 pm
^^^ Posted that before Hurricane Force was leaked as the (original) name :P
RollingCoasting

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 1st, 2017, 1:14 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:Because putting a Hurricane themed ride in Mardi Gras totally wasn't a bad idea before Harvey came along . . . . :lol:

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand the issue with the name containing the word hurricane. It's a natural occurrence/act of God.
Other rides have Lightning or Fire in their name which cause deaths and massive destruction but nobody's complaining about those. We also have names that are very questionable at best, and offensive to some such as Demon, Diablo, Daredevil, Hades, etc.

There's a ride in Guatemala called Avalancha (avalanche). Why is that name OK? People die in avalanches all the time.

Conversely there was a ride in Japan of all places called Atomic Coaster! Why was THAT name not a problem especially in that country? (ie. think about WW2 and Hiroshima and Nagasaki)
It was built in Japan, by a Japanese company!

Just wanted to add this as a counterpoint
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on September 1st, 2017, 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on September 1st, 2017, 1:35 pm
How are they not spending any money there? Are they just managing the projects? I feel like I knew that buttt clearly I forgot or really don't know lol

Hurricane Harbor isn't bad cause it's been named that since Katrina happened but it's also a tropical theme & I guess more forgiving cause it's like a tornado themed ride in tornado alley. It's just a thing. Most storms aren't devastating but there are a few that are. I've been in a hurricane in S. Carolina, it moved all the beach chairs around & to me just felt like a thunderstorm. Carowinds has the Carolina Cyclone, they're not offended but I can list examples for days & waste more time. This is simply different. We all know what happened in New Orleans & I hope we can all agree that the name was a poor decision to begin with.
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 1st, 2017, 1:38 pm
^ Strata, please read my post above for a counterpoint. Particularly the name of the ride that was in Japan!

I think that we as a society have become too conscious/preoccupied of offending someone. Well, I personally don't like the names of coasters associated with the devil or demons but nobody's going to change them! I also put a posting up above about Six Flags poor marketing of Fright Fest a couple of years ago (using 666).

Devil/satanic worship is real. People have been victimized and even murdered during acts of satanic rituals or worship. So why is using 666 as part of marketing or naming rides Diablo or Demon OK but nobody can use Hurricane?

I'm not trying to be argumentative but giving a counterpoint.....
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on September 1st, 2017, 1:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby staticshadows on September 1st, 2017, 1:50 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:How are they not spending any money there? Are they just managing the projects? I feel like I knew that buttt clearly I forgot or really don't know lol

The developers build and own the parks, they are paying Six Flags a licensing fee for the Six Flags name and brand. Six Flags is also providing design, consulting, and management services, but they are not investing money in the projects or rides.
staticshadows

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 1st, 2017, 2:09 pm
People also die in earthquakes too. Many parks have had a ride with the name Shockwave including our park, and SFOT still has theirs.......

CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on September 1st, 2017, 2:19 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^ Strata, please read my post above for a counterpoint. Particularly the name of the ride that was in Japan!

I think that we as a society have become too conscious/preoccupied of offending someone. Well, I personally don't like the names of coasters associated with the devil or demons but nobody's going to change them! I also put a posting up above about Six Flags poor marketing of Fright Fest a couple of years ago (using 666).

Devil/satanic worship is real. People have been victimized and even murdered during acts of satanic rituals or worship. So why is using 666 as part of marketing or naming rides Diablo or Demon OK but nobody can use Hurricane?

I'm not trying to be argumentative but giving a counterpoint.....

I think we both commented at the same time, I didn't see your reply but these are all good points. I guess at the end of the day, something is goin to offend someone. We've all expressed our views so I'm simply hoping they give this a kick ass New Orleans themed name.
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 1st, 2017, 2:27 pm
^ Agreed. Hopefully this new ride will deliver some thrills and tide us over until the next major coaster!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Jodon on September 1st, 2017, 2:30 pm
The park would look ridiculously insensitive if they came out with Hurricane Force 5 right in the middle of Harvey. Six Flags is a public corporation that needs a positive public image. I think they will use HF5 (in some itteration) as the name, but will need to let the hurricane damage subside and become more out of mind/sight for the majority of the US.

For example...imagine if a drop ride is announced with the name "Tower Tumble"...There's nothing inherently wrong with that name. Now, imagine if "Tower Tumble" was planned to me announced in October of 2001...

Timing is really important.
Jodon

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 1st, 2017, 2:45 pm
^ Very good example! Point well taken. Thanks Jodon.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on September 1st, 2017, 3:58 pm
Seriously great example. It is all about timing buttttt I still do have to say it's really not smart putting in a hurricane name in a New Orleans section. The time just still isn't right.

Call it the Shadow man...I loved Louisiana loop... Cajun Choas. Idfk something.
gottastrata33

Postby anewman35 on September 1st, 2017, 5:10 pm
The basic thing is that there's no real upside to having a "controversial" name (and the name certainly could be controversial NOW, and would possibly be any time based on being in Mardi Gras) and there IS a downside. It's very possible nobody would care. But it's also possible it goes viral and people get upset with Six Flags for being insensitive. Why take the risk? It's not like "Hurricane Force" is such an amazing brand that they gain anything at all for using it.

(And, yes, people pull the what about Hurricane Harbor? What about The Demon? What about Cyclone? stuff, but nobody who is actually upset is saying that stuff - if they were, Six Flags would probably consider changing things. Plus, there's a big difference in acceptance between "leaving a name that's been there for a while" and "naming something brand new")
anewman35

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on September 1st, 2017, 9:15 pm
I would have much rather seen the Super Loop go in the Trail Blazers spot instead of removing King Chaos, but oh well. In the future I hope to see Great America add more high capacity rides to help ease long lines. A large Ferris wheel, A Sky Screamer, A Mega Looper, A Giant Discovery, etc. I used to have a dark ride on that wish list, but Six Flags added Justice League, so that one is checked off, lol
Nothing to see here....
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby SFGAmFan12 on September 2nd, 2017, 7:38 pm
Jodon wrote:The park would look ridiculously insensitive if they came out with Hurricane Force 5 right in the middle of Harvey. Six Flags is a public corporation that needs a positive public image. I think they will use HF5 (in some itteration) as the name, but will need to let the hurricane damage subside and become more out of mind/sight for the majority of the US.

For example...imagine if a drop ride is announced with the name "Tower Tumble"...There's nothing inherently wrong with that name. Now, imagine if "Tower Tumble" was planned to me announced in October of 2001...

Timing is really important.

Great example...maybe we can get a New York themed area and put it there /s. It has to do with name and location for me. If they divided Hurricane Harbor into gulf states that can be similarly inflammatory. Just normal no-nos.

Off topic a bit but in 2004 the Wilderness Resort in Wisconsin Dells opened The Great Tsunami outdoor wave pool. Later in the year the South Pacific was devastated by what was known as “the great tsunami” and the resort changed the wave pools name to The Great Wave (its now indoors as welll after the roof was built).
SFGAmFan12

Postby anewman35 on September 2nd, 2017, 7:45 pm
I wonder how late in the pulled they changed the name. It looks like from the pictures I saw from today they still had time to get signs made up with "Worlds Largest Looping Coaster" on it instead of a name...
anewman35

Postby SFGAM_Hog on September 2nd, 2017, 8:47 pm
Does anyone think there could be possible theming? Hopefully they can also do possible touch ups to the overall Mardi Gras area. But it's Six Flags so...
SFGAM_Hog

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on September 2nd, 2017, 8:55 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Does anyone think there could be possible theming? Hopefully they can also do possible touch ups to the overall Mardi Gras area. But it's Six Flags so...

I hope so! They already have the name Bourbon Street Fireball trademarked, It would be senseless not to use it! Some one on this forum suggested the name "The Hangover" That would be cool too! Something that actually fits with the area!
Nothing to see here....
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby SFGAM_Hog on September 2nd, 2017, 8:58 pm
The only theming with a superloop I've seen is the devil in front of El Diablo.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby maxwellt on September 2nd, 2017, 9:20 pm
I think tidal wave would be such a cool name for the ride, fits the chase the storm sorta and is a tribute to tidal wave

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby RollingCoasting on September 2nd, 2017, 10:32 pm
Names I'd like to see:

Storm themed:

Greezed Lightnin'
Storm Roller
Turbulence
Tornado Twister
Storm Force
Rolling Thunder
Lightning Loops

Mardi Gras/New Orleans themed:

VooDoo
Hangover
Zydeco Scream
Bayou Scream

Miscellaneous:

Total Mayhem
Apocalypse (Different color scheme obviously...)
Pandemonium
RollingCoasting

Postby Coaster Justin on September 3rd, 2017, 3:52 am
Call It the Hot Chicken
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby gottastrata33 on September 3rd, 2017, 4:16 am
If you look at the banners in the park, there's a line at the bottom that's been "taped over" with what looks like you guessed it, green tape. Lol is it possible the name was on there or was it a last minute deal they decided to give the chop with the flash sale? I'm curious now.

The only pic I have is this one LOL my boyfriend edited it with me as a Snapchat filter as the girl in yellow so don't mind that Image
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum