Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Mardi Gras Hangover Discussion Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 31st, 2017, 2:24 pm
aaron60060 wrote:That's good. Different people have different wishes. For my money, I want something unique. Goliath is about all we've gotten in some time. They need to expand, and refuse to do it, because again, why would they.

What about X-Flight?? That's a major ride and the favorite of many!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby great america fan on August 31st, 2017, 2:53 pm
(Rant time) would be fine if they were marketing it as the worlds tallest looping thrill ride I think calling it a coaster is BS. I thought our park was smarter than that. calling it our 16th coaster really? the park was so scared that they might offend someone that they give us this half A$$ed announcement really you couldn't just stick with the name or just call it bourbon streetfire ball. but no instead give us a rushed announcement with no concept art and nothing to get hyped about.... with all of that said I will still ride it I will still probably enjoy it but I will always be disappointed about its lackluster anointment. PS. sorry for all the grammar mistakes
great america fan

Postby JimPanky on August 31st, 2017, 3:21 pm
aaron60060 wrote:3. Six Flags doesn't care to build anything like Raging Bull or something to compete with the amazing rides other chains do. They don't have to, because they can install crap and people will throw their money at them endlessly.

They did build something like Raging Bull, it's called Raging Bull as well as plenty of amazing roller coasters. No we will not see another coaster of that size any time soon but that is not a choice of the park it is because they are land locked. The only way to get another large coaster is to get rid of one.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk
JimPanky

Postby LordMagnus101 on August 31st, 2017, 5:08 pm
I have no interest in this and sad its replacing one of my favorite rides.

That being said, I hope any new attraction that I don't like at least takes away some attention/lines from the rides I actually want to go on. So from that standpoint I wont bash it.
LordMagnus101

Postby Jodon on August 31st, 2017, 5:14 pm
The lack of a new large roller coaster isn't because the park is land locked. The reason is that Six Flags has decided to add something to every park every year and as a result of that, chose to not spend the money required to add a large scale ride. If the only issue was being land locked, then parks like Great Adventure and Magic Mountain would have seen a big roller coaster added. At least MM got the rehab of Colossus. Great Adventure really hasn't had much of note added since Six Flags began their current corporate strategy.

To me, the Six Flags that built Raging Bull, X-Flight, Batman: The Ride, American Eagle is a completely different company than the Six Flags that is running the park now.

As an enthusiast, I'm frustrated that this is the business model that Six Flags has chosen. I'd much prefer our park to be run like one of the better Cedar Fair properties like King's Island or Carowinds (I'm not delusional enough to think that we could be a Cedar Point).

It seems that each year, the annual rides announcement gets more and more anticlimactic. Last year didn't really have any major rides that were noteworthy and this year is the same, if not a bit worse. The big ride this year is the smallest and shortest RMC. The Raptor track would have been more substantial of an addition if it weren't for Trailblazer. And those of you that are clamoring for the second half of Goliath to be built...I can't imagine what you'd feel like after riding Twisted Cyclone. After seeing the POV animation, I'm very happy that the Park left Viper alone when they had RMC visit.
Jodon

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on August 31st, 2017, 6:13 pm
Well the Six Flags that built American Eagle never existed. It is called Marriott. :roll:
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby Jodon on August 31st, 2017, 6:36 pm
^ Fair enough, but the point still stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jodon

Postby JimPanky on August 31st, 2017, 6:42 pm
First of all the park is land locked. Fact.

Has anyone heard of Goliath? It's a great coaster that was added recently. You can't expect a great coaster every year. To have X-Flight and Goliath in this decade is really good.

Also, a park doesn't need more than a dozen good coasters. I give Six Flags credit for rolling out Justice League at several parks. The chain needed a ride like that to have a more diverse ride line up.
JimPanky

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 31st, 2017, 6:57 pm
To each their own. I don't like neither of those 2 coasters. The best addition for me was the newer Batman ride, and that's been since 2008. I thought the Zipper (joker) was going to be the best thing, but than they took out magnets, and it can flip twice sometimes. It went from amazing to very disappointing. So since 2008, I've been waiting for something great that they don't mess up after they put it in plus is great to begin with.

And I do like flat rides / waterpark rides also. So, it's not that I'm just looking for coaster, coaster either. The LAST best flat ride I would ride every single visit basically was Space Shuttle America, and they put that in 1994, so it's been a LONG, LONG time for a great flat to come in my opinion, and this ride for me is definitely not it (Larson Looper).

I do ride the Wipeout in the waterpark, but it's not important for the park to even have because it's just a smaller version of the Tornado ride. Tornado to me is way better. A not needed ride that I wouldn't miss if they took out as long as it's replaced by something much better. Yes, though you will see me ride that ride (Wipeout), but it's nothing great. If the park didn't have the Tornado, than I might say a little better things about it because that's the only thing the park has, but it's not the case. i would still be riding Space Shuttle America till this day if it was still in that spot. Space Shuttle America -> Wipeout (for sure).

Wipeout is one of the 4 person raft slides that is red, yellow, white, and black & is part of the newest expansion of slides. For me, it is the best slide of the expansion / best thing of the expansion, but it's still nothing the park even needs. For the Tornado, you go up gigantic "walls" of the slide. Wipeout you go up 2 very small "walls" inside the slide that are in different positions.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Jodon on August 31st, 2017, 7:45 pm
JimPanky wrote:First of all the park is land locked. Fact.

Has anyone heard of Goliath? It's a great coaster that was added recently. You can't expect a great coaster every year. To have X-Flight and Goliath in this decade is really good.

Also, a park doesn't need more than a dozen good coasters. I give Six Flags credit for rolling out Justice League at several parks. The chain needed a ride like that to have a more diverse ride line up.

I'm not arguing about the park being land locked. I'm well aware of the parks current land and height limitations. My argument is that being land locked is not the reason for the lack of a major capital investment.

And yes, I realize that a park needs good flats to be a well rounded park. I enjoy several of the parks flat rides including the troika, the bumper cars, Condor, and Fiddler's Fling among others in the park Ave other parks. Personally, I'd love SFGAm to have a giant discovery, screaming swing, flyers and others. Inherently, there isn't anything "wrong" with any of the additions the park has made in the last 5 years as each ride filled a void in the park. However, as an enthusiast, with three of the rides being clones, it shows a lack of innovation and zero desire to spend a significant amount if money on a capital investment. The one ride that was a record holder, in my opinion was made for the sole purpose of breaking the fastest, tallest, and steepest wooden coaster as economically as possible.

Again, I understand the business model. Six Flags owns a bunch of regional parks. Every park gets to promote a new ride every year to help bring in visitors from around their market. The overwhelming majority of visitors to Great America will likely never visit a different Six Flags, so why spend the money to develop unique rides for every park. I get it...but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Jodon

Postby JimPanky on August 31st, 2017, 7:48 pm
X Flight and Goliath are awesome and they are recent so I feel the developments are going well.

JimPanky

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 31st, 2017, 9:28 pm
You know, generally I have not been too thrilled with the announcement. But I have to be real with myself here. I have only been on one "Fireball" attraction at the carnival down the street, and that was when I was 10 or 11. I was not into coasters then. Maybe I will like it! I need to give it a chance. Sure, I know I would have preferred a giant discovery or an ABC rides over a super loop, but that doesn't mean the super loop won't be fun. I'm sure it has a crap ton of hang time. So I am going to hold my judgment for now. But I won't have high expectations at the same time.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 494
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby jmanporty7 on August 31st, 2017, 9:41 pm
If they're waiting to announce Hurricane Force as its name, they better wait a long while to do so. If they're finding a new name, Greezed Lightnin' would be pretty cool, and will also fit the chase the storm theme.

jmanporty7

Postby staticshadows on August 31st, 2017, 9:54 pm
I wouldn't mind seeing them use Great American Scream Machine for the name or maybe Titan.
staticshadows

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 31st, 2017, 10:07 pm
If they are holding off on naming it Hurricane whatever, I think they should scrap the idea and start fresh. Destruction from Harvey will be around for ages. Heck, my youth ministry is planning on volunteering down there: next July. The aftermath will exist when this ride opens, so I think they should just scrap the entire idea. Heck when I was in Louisiana is reeked Katrina. I didn't see the destruction there but it's presence was felt in the air.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 494
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby RollingCoasting on August 31st, 2017, 10:14 pm
Understandable if they choose to find a new name but I do hope they stick with a storm-related name and don't theme it to Harley Quinn or some crap.
RollingCoasting

Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2017, 10:45 pm
I don't especially get what a storm related thing has to do with the place it's in or the type of ride it is (no other Super Loop is named after weather, is it?) I can't say I think names especially matter, but I'd be happy with some sort of generic New Orleans type name. They like reusing names, use Bourbon Street Fireball. Or slightly change a name and call it the French Quarter Flyer.

Let's be honest, not a single extra person is going to come to the park based on the name of the ride, it really doesn't matter. But that also means there's no reason NOT to at least try to go with the themed area. I get using a DC name over a generic one, but if they're using a generic one anyway, make it make sense.
anewman35

Postby Coaster Justin on August 31st, 2017, 11:12 pm
Or Voodoo Loop
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby ScullyDu on August 31st, 2017, 11:43 pm
I'm ok with the addition this year though I would have preferred a flat package to level out crowds. I'm constantly shocked that nothing is being done with the Pictorium.
ScullyDu

Postby Tardis1972 on August 31st, 2017, 11:54 pm
I personally think is a great addition and I can't wait to ride this coaster. That being said I won't be there for its opening day.
Tardis1972

Postby LordMagnus101 on September 1st, 2017, 6:21 am
Probably the worst thing is, other than being a superloop, its basically a few feet away from the Joker, the other latest addition. Personally I think they need to spread out their additions more, but I know that's not how it works.
LordMagnus101

Postby SFGAM_Hog on September 1st, 2017, 7:35 am
ScullyDu wrote:I'm ok with the addition this year though I would have preferred a flat package to level out crowds. I'm constantly shocked that nothing is being done with the Pictorium.

Im shocked that the Pictorium hasnt been removed either, but the Ragin Cajun facade was up for a couple of years and then now we have Joker so I'm hoping this is Pictorium's last year in 2018.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 1st, 2017, 8:44 am
Here are a couple of name options:
Tidal Wave (would pay tribute to a great ride!)
Louisiana Loop (since it's Mardi Gras area)

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 1st, 2017, 8:45 am
JimPanky wrote:First of all the park is land locked. Fact.

You can include Dark Knight as well for the past decade! It's still a very popular, fun and good ride!
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on September 1st, 2017, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on September 1st, 2017, 9:59 am
I ride Fireball at SFStl when I go cause it never has more than a cycle to wait for & yeah, it is fun. I'm just surprised in this as I've expressed before. I really believed you guys that if we ever got one of these, it would be a package deal & def not our next "solid" roller coaster.

Anyone else surprised they didn't have anything to say about the China or Dubai projects? I'd love to see some details on that & maybe then I'll understand why so many parks are getting "smaller major additions". I would assume they are putting at least one to two major coasters in each park along with the six flags staple low capacity coasters lol
gottastrata33

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum