Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Rank the Hurricane Harbor attractions

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby RollingCoasting on July 19th, 2017, 11:53 pm
With all the talk of a possible new water park addition next year, I figured it would be an appropriate time to create this topic

Simply rank (and review if you'd like) all of the slides/attractions in Hurricane Harbor

Mine:

1. Tornado - Love the steep drop into the funnel (Especially while facing backwards) and of course flying the walls of the funnel. Most thrilling water ride at Hurricane Harbor in my opinion (Of all the ones I have ridden)

2. Bahama Mama - The 2 drops on this thing... holy crap! Backwards or bust

3. Wipeout - Basically a mini version of Tornado, but with really nice colors, and a bit longer

4. Vortex - I believe this is the pink and orange one - Either way, it's not the most intense (Though still more thrilling than the Hurricane Mountain complex) slide, but it's just a ton of fun, especially the funnel.

5. Typhoon - Green and Blue bowl slide. Essentially the same as Vortex, but on this one you can *slightly* feel your bottom scrape against the slide a bit, lol. Maybe Vortex has the same problem too, but I haven't ridden it since last summer so I don't remember.

6. Hammerhead - (Teal atomic raft slide). It's not as thrilling as Vortex/Typhoon, but it's height gives it an advantage over Hurricane Mountain.

7. Bubba Tubba - Very fun and long family slide. the "Funnel" bit was the best part, as on most of the slides.

8. Wahoo Racers - I enjoyed this one more than I was expecting. It's not out of control yet at the same time provides a smooth and speedy ride. My weight gave me an advantage I suppose. (Started last yet finished second haha)

9./10. Hurricane Mountain Yellow and Green - While it may not be as big as the other slide complexes, it was enjoyable and not too crazy. I loved the initial drop out of the station/platform as it seems to give you extra speed throughout the enclosed bit.

11. Hurricane Mountain Teal - Liked it almost as much as yellow, but this one I rank slightly lower due to not having the "Pre-Drop" bit present on yellow.

12. Castaway Creek - Classic lazy river. Floating around the path and various waterslides is pretty cool, and it has a decent length.

13. Hurricane Bay - Who doesn't love a good wave pool?

14. Monsoon Lagoon - Didn't spend much time in this and have only been in it once but I didn't enjoy it as much as Hurricane Bay. Waves > "Activities"

15. Skull Island - It cools you off, I guess. Obviously not very high on my list being a kiddie area.

16. Paradise Plunge - (I think. I know I rode the purple one, it might've been Riptide. Again, the site doesn't specify which is which so...) Not a fan. Honestly don't care much for body/speed slides (Except for the non-floor drop vertical one at SFSTL). Gave me friction burn on my arm. Way too out of control for a body slide. Didn't care much for all the water going up my nose either. I would've much rather seen a third atomic raft slide than the two body slides.

I still need to ride: Barracuda, Surf Rider, Dive Bomber, Dark blue side of Hurricane Mountain, Mega Wedgie, and Riptide
Last edited by RollingCoasting on June 15th, 2018, 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RollingCoasting

Postby gottastrata33 on July 21st, 2017, 2:47 am
Aw man you gotta get on Bahama Mama. She's short but a good one.

My go tos are Mama, Dive Bomber, Tornado, & the wave pool. To be honest, I think our Hurricane Harbor has a fantastic selection from Proslides catalogue. Which is why I want to see some of what we're missing from them.
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 21st, 2017, 11:53 am
Believe it or not, I've NEVER been inside Hurricane Harbor! I prefer coasters to water attractions. If the theme park wasn't there I'm sure I'd go into HH . My goal is for either later this year or sometime next to take the family into HH. I know we'll all enjoy it!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 21st, 2017, 3:14 pm
I guess I would say #1 is the wavepool. I do like the slides a lot, but I will spend more time in the wavepool than the slides.

#2 is Bahama Mama (the orange & purple family raft slide that has the multiple dips)
#3 is the Tornado (yet I hate the name because it's a disaster, but oh well)
#4 is the blue & green bowl slide.
#5 is the relaxing river
#6 is the teal & lime green family raft slide
#7 is the Wipeout which is just 2 mini Tornados / red family raft slide, and was not even needed, but oh well.
#8 is the blue tube slide in the back of the waterpark (all the way to the left)
#9 is the teal tube slide that is in the 6 slide complex (in back of the wavepool)
#10 is the teal tube slide in the back of the waterpark

I don't go on the surf thing, and for me the regular pool is pointless when you have the wavepool. Still though, that's the most packed thing (the regular pool) of the "new expansion" the park received.

And the mat racer slides are the most dangerous thing in the waterpark. I will not ride them ever again after getting a cut on them.

And to me, this waterpark doesn't need anything for 10 years. My complaints are about staffing on tube water slides (not having enough workers for each slide) - They will have 1 worker doing 4 slides. It's ridiculous!, and waiting for no reason for the relaxing river because they will hide all these tubes in other areas, and you are basically waiting for absolutely no reason. Our climate isn't always warm either. It's warm for 5 days, but than Monday it's 77 degrees, and waterpark people love 80 degrees +. 77 degrees is not great for them. People will be in the waterpark for 77 degrees, but not as much.

They should also offer single tubes for all tube slides as double tubes are terrible for single riders. Than they started putting single riders in the back of the double tube, and it's terrible. :roll: No wonder I'm not going much anymore to the waterpark... The problem is not in what they have.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Ilovthevu' on March 23rd, 2019, 2:32 pm
I know this is an old topic. So, what... Instead of me creating another Hurricane Harbor topic, I wanted to highlight the songs that remind me of Hurricane Harbor right now; waiting for the season.

The end song (like the Carousel / Miley Cyrus song for the regular park) for the waterpark is called Aloha Oe (Until You Meet Me), and it's by the Goombay Dance Band. At the time, it took me so long to figure out what this song was even called, so enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWVk9KUWRUE

Another Hurricane Harbor song that was played for a number of years is Michael Franti & Spearhead - The Sound of Sunshine (I don't even know if they still play it??):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqgHosrqJ8o

These are some of the other ones through the years:

"California Sun" - Dick Dale
"Dont Worry Be Happy" - Bobby McFerrin
"Iko Iko" -Dixie Cups
"Jammin" - Bob Marley
"In the Summertime" - Mungo Jerry
"Margaritaville" - Jimmy Buffet
"Pipeline" - Dick Dale

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" - Israel Kamakawiwo Ole's
"Volcano" - Jimmy Buffet
"Get Up Stand Up"--Bob Marley
"Jump In The Line"--Harry Belafonte
"Day-O Bannana Boat Song"--Harry Belafonte
"Kingston Town"--UB40
"Could You Be Loved"--Bob Marley

Some Beach - Blake Shelton
Gavin Degraw - I'm in Love with a Girl & Chariot
Cheeseburger in Paradise - Jimmy Buffet
Sugar Sugar - The Archies
It's 5 Oclock Somewhere - Alan Jackson & Jimmy Buffet

Kokomo - The Beach Boys
Say Hey - Michael Franti
Brighter Than the Sun - Colbie Caillat
Steal My Sunshine - Len
Red Red Wine - UB40
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on March 26th, 2019, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby UnclePennybags on March 23rd, 2019, 3:15 pm
1) Monsoon Lagoon: We usually lap the dry park once whenever we visit. Whenever we get done with Southwest Territory, we head to Hurricane Harbor (HH) for a one hour soak in the pool. Great for a cool down on a hot day or to take a load off your feet. After an hour, we'll typically exit HH via the parking lot, then reenter the dry park via Carousel Plaza.

2) Castaway Creek: When we go to HH for the day, we'll hit this attraction to get some rays, have a chinwag, and relax.

3) Hurricane Bay: Unfortunately, the deep end is usually a mosh pit, so you can't just hang out and enjoy the waves. If you back out a little, you're standing in only 3' of water. Not enough to get me jazzed, but we usually visit this attraction if we're spending a day in HH.
UnclePennybags

Postby RBullFan97 on March 24th, 2019, 7:40 am
^^Wow, hearing that version of Aloha Oe made me realize in the 14 seasons I've been going to Hurricane Harbor, I have not once stayed until close. We always show up when it opens and leave around 2 or 3, so I've never heard that song there. But yes, I love the Hurricane Harbor music! The Beach Boys, Bob Marley, Jimmy Buffett, you name it, any time I hear any of those songs I'm instantly transported to the summer by Hurricane Bay!

As far as the ranking the attractions, I can't really rank them all, but I can mention my favorites.

Bahama Mama and Bubba Tubba: Anytime I go to Hurricane Harbor with my family we would ALWAYS start with these slides. It's a great one-two punch. On Bubba Tubba (the green and teal one) you get the great near 90 degree turns towards the end, and on Bahama Mama (the orange and purple one) you have that great drop at the end.

Hurricane Mountain: For me these slides are the best kept secret in Hurricane Harbor. They're tucked all the way in the back behind Skull Island so they almost never have a line, and I often find myself just marathoning the heck out of these slides. They're a lot of fun, and the most intense one I believe is the dark blue one (I'm not sure the exact name of that one, it might be either Marge or Bertha).

Wipeout: This is the double funnel slide in the Riptide Bay section, and it's probably not as good as the other two but as someone who still hasn't gotten the nerve to get on the Tornado this serves as a nice substitute.

Hurricane Bay: We usually camp out alongside Hurricane Bay when we visit Hurricane Harbor so we go in this one a lot. The waves will sometimes do an interesting pattern where they almost go diagonally, it's hard to explain.

Castaway Creek: Of course I had to mention this attraction, I'll often do 3 laps or so on this thing a day. It's just a very relaxing experience, especially with the Hurricane Harbor music in the background.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum