Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2018 rumors, thoughts and speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby anewman35 on July 28th, 2017, 12:03 pm
This reminds me - I don't think any of us expects a huge ride, but if it's above 125 feet or 200 feet (depending on where it is in the park) it sold have to be approved, and it looks like the meeting where that would have to happen is August 16th. So something to keep an eye on (or not, because it probably ends up not mattering)
anewman35

Postby staticshadows on July 28th, 2017, 12:10 pm
Yeah, the next planning board meeting is August 8th but it currently points to an agenda from 2001. I am not expecting them to go in front of the planning board unless we are getting a SkyScreamer.
staticshadows

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 28th, 2017, 2:18 pm
Well my thoughts on the water coaster have changed now. Geotechnology posted on their Facebook page about drilling in Hurricane Harbor in St. Louis. My guess is this is preliminary work getting started for there water park addition.

Would they send the same attraction in the same year to parks so close. I don't think so.

My hopes are still on the Giant Discovery and some smaller flats to go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 28th, 2017, 2:37 pm
I think St. Louis needs more water attractions than Great America does because of weather. You look at Gurnee forecast today, and the high is 76 degrees. In St. Louis, it's 83 degrees for the high. Even though I would love an airtime machine water coaster in the waterpark, there is so much in that waterpark already. Everything is just not staffed properly or they hide tubes for the relaxing river, and you wait for no reason.

Personally, it's not because they don't have enough slides and things to do in the waterpark that would not make go in there.

The 2 best things I've seen from Six Flags rides recently have been the Tilt-A-Whirl (They could literally buy a used Tilt-A-Whirl for only $50,000 right now. They shouldn't buy a new one. That's dumb. Buy a used, and fix it up / repaint it / etc. - Six Flags probably spends $500,000 for a new Tilt-A-Whirl for no reason.), and these pendulum rides though I don't know how they ride.

If you went back some years, I would say Full Throttle, and than the Tony Hawks.

For me, Skyscreamers & Diskos are not good with what Great America has already. The Disko was plain out boring, but whatever.

I'm still praying for a Flying Bobs / Music Fest / Thunderbolt / Alpine Bobs To show a price, 1 of them was $145,000, but it got sold. http://www.intermarkridegroup.com/major ... olt-mj1366. Another one was $185,000.

^The real reason carnivals sell those rides is because they are least a 2 truck ride + maybe a crane truck, and they take around 7-8 hours to put up. In carnival time, that's too long, and too much trucks for 1 ride. Thus, an amusement park should get it. An Amusement park doesn't have to set up the ride everyday like a carnival sets it up every week.

And Six Flags New England has one so it's not like Six Flags doesn't have these rides. But Six Flags shouldn't have carnival rides... Condor is definitely a carnival ride. Orbit was a carnival ride. Revolution is a carnival ride in Europe. Scramblers are at carnivals. For the Condor, they just trick people into not thinking it's a carnival ride because they built a concrete path.
Even a ride like the Whirligig makes appearances at carnivals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VedJusKQjyE

Their is nothing wrong with ALL carnival rides anyway. Some are just terrible though in my opinion like a Wisdom Sizzler, Wisdom Gravitron, Wisdom Tornado (Do you notice a theme?), I don't like the ARM 1001 Nachts, etc.

The biggest difference between a carnival ride and a non-carnival ride is that a carnival ride is on a truck (It's mostly that way though a Tilt-A-Whirl, and an Eyerly Spider will actually get taken off a truck and be assembled.), and a non-carnival ride is in the ground.
Here's a King Chaos arriving on a truck at some carnival probably in Europe because it probably takes 3 trucks to build:
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1410/122 ... de73_b.jpg

I'm done with the soapbox of people that say no to carnival rides at Six Flags..
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby maxwellt on July 28th, 2017, 5:04 pm
So if we got a package that came with a used tilt a whirl, giant discovery, and a sky screamer, revolution would serve no purpose at all. That would be a prime spot for a sky scream. It's a location that's kinda meant for a staple attraction, and a sky screamer would be a big attraction for the park

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby Goku1910 on July 28th, 2017, 6:54 pm
What in the world happened to this topic? It's like a bunch of pre-teens bickering over who's right an wrong when they're both wrong....

as for those who were talking about Trailblazer I'll give you some food for thought.....Six Flags always starts construction kinda late even for large rides. If Trailblazer was being replaced with a flat why would they start so early? It's clearly for that Haunted House that goes there every year...maybe just larger this time.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 28th, 2017, 7:40 pm
maxwellt wrote:So if we got a package that came with a used tilt a whirl, giant discovery, and a sky screamer, revolution would serve no purpose at all. That would be a prime spot for a sky scream. It's a location that's kinda meant for a staple attraction, and a sky screamer would be a big attraction for the park

Revolution is totally different than a Max Air like ride. Max Air is so much about the height, and it doesn't spin a ton. It does spin though, but not like Revolution.. Revolution is trying to be like a Round-Up, Zero Gravity, Gravitron / Starship, Chance Rotor, etc. Revolution = pushed against your seat because of the force. Max Air isn't like that. I know the ride they wouldn't get wouldn't be a Huss ride. They are with Zamperla rides now. I'm only mentioning Max Air because I've been on a Max Air ride, and not on the new Zamperla version.

For instance you can see it better in a Zero Gravity ride pov than the Revolution: (People are stuck to the seats):
https://youtu.be/i-u-ktPra-4?t=52s -The yellow person on the right side is probably the best person that you can tell is definitely stuck to that person's seat.

Riddler at Over Texas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYeJU1oCQHY
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby maxwellt on July 28th, 2017, 8:28 pm
Good point. I just was thinking two disk rides would be a bit funky, but I didn't look at it like one is about height and the other is for spinning. Thanks for pointing that out, I just like where revolution is, and I think that a sky screamer would fit in pretty well there

maxwellt

Postby staticshadows on July 29th, 2017, 12:14 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:Well my thoughts on the water coaster have changed now. Geotechnology posted on their Facebook page about drilling in Hurricane Harbor in St. Louis. My guess is this is preliminary work getting started for there water park addition.

Would they send the same attraction in the same year to parks so close. I don't think so.

My hopes are still on the Giant Discovery and some smaller flats to go with it.

I had a similar thought, I can't remember the last time we received the same ride as St Louis in the same year. I am not sure Six Flags really cares about this though.

Given all of the currently available information, I think we are one of three parks that have a good shot at getting a Giant Discovery this year. Six Flags will probably buy two of them again this year, but they could buy more. I think it comes down to Great America, New England, and possibly Magic Mountain.

Parks That Already Have a Zamperla Giant Discovery
Six Flags Over Texas
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
La Ronde

2018 Semi-Confirmed or Confirmed
Six Flags Great Adventure - World's First Attraction
Six Flags Over Georgia - Georgia Cyclone RMC
Six Flags Fiesta Texas - Some large attraction, probably a roller coaster
Six Flags St. Louis - Proslide RocketBlast/Flying Saucer water coaster (Thunder Rapids clone) Soil Testing in Hurricane Harbor next to Tornado slide.

Current Rumors/Guesses
Six Flags Magic Mountain - Zamperla Giant Discovery or a record breaking SkyScreamer
Six Flags Great America - Flat package
Six Flags New England - Flat package
Six Flags Mexico - S&S 4D Free Spin that they were supposed to get in 2017
Six Flags America - Relocated V2 if it is removed from Great America or S&S 4D Free Spin
Great Escape - Relocated Pandemonium from Fiesta Texas or a family friendly flat ride.
staticshadows

Postby Tardis1972 on July 30th, 2017, 10:24 am
Yeah flat ride package was my guess as well. Most likely a couple Zamperla rides. If Georgia Cyclone does get the RMC treatmeant then I'm planning a SFOG trip. Now my guess for SFADv is a Unicoaster 2.0 which would be a worlds first.
Tardis1972

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 30th, 2017, 1:35 pm
^^Screamscape took off the rumor about V2. Whizzer whiz kid took off about V2 leaving in his signature. Screamscape thinks S&S for Six Flags America and Six Flags Mexico. La Ronde has to get something "big" because they took out a log ride. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m-bc19B-hY
Ilovthevu'

Postby staticshadows on July 30th, 2017, 1:55 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:^^Screamscape took off the rumor about V2. Whizzer whiz kid took off about V2 leaving in his signature. Screamscape thinks S&S for Six Flags America and Six Flags Mexico. La Ronde has to get something "big" because they took out a log ride. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m-bc19B-hY

I am aware of those points, my post was about our chances of getting a Giant Discovery. I can think of many other spots for one if V2 is still here. From the sound of it, Cobra was planned and La Pitoune was not. Six Flags might just replace La Pitoune with another flat ride or leave it SBNO. If you believe Jim Reid-Anderson, all of the east coast parks from Georgia to Montreal and both Texas parks are having a down year due to weather, but this is the same guy who previously said he would never blame down attendance on weather.
staticshadows

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 30th, 2017, 2:10 pm
I know these are just rumors, but Fiesta Texas off all rides they are taking out, it's not a good decision in my opinion unless they get a water ride, or a dark ride due to how warm it is down there. A dark ride due to being in air-conditioned, or a water ride. People are saying that they are going to get a CGI coaster. I only count 2 regular water rides in that park than (a log ride / water rapids ride). That's NOT good in my opinion. Yes, get a wooden CGI coaster, but why that spot?

This is unless they get a roller coaster that is a Mack Power Splash. That would make more sense.

Though, yes a Giant Discovery for Great America does make sense based on what they are doing. Yet, that water coaster is also possible still. St. Louis & Great America both have Justice League rides even though they didn't put them in the same year. To Six Flags, they probably think each customer has their own park, so it doesn't matter if St. Louis puts one in, and Great America puts one in.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Absimilliard on July 30th, 2017, 2:59 pm
La Ronde is my home park and the bad attendance is plain to see. Yesterday was a fireworks day with beautiful weather and most of the province on vacation. The result? no line above an hour, little crowds walking around and parking lots did not even fill out. The park also made a huge mistake when they announced the log flume was not going to open. The reason why its closed is perfectly valid: rotting wooden structure and too cost prohibitive to fix.

They posted a nice sign at the ride entrance and things online, but their PR spokeperson did not go in the media to talk about it. End result of all that was wannabe experts and an author who had just so happened to publish a book about the park took all the space and put a very negative spin on the story. It even made the front page of the newspapers and was the leading story in the tv news reports... It sadly killed a lot of the momentum the park had been gaining.

Two weeks ago, I wrote this list of prediction for Six Flags, but I now realise SFGADV, SFGAm and SFA guesses are not valid. What do you guys think?

Great Escape: Relocation of the Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster from SFFT, replacing Kidzopolis.
Six Flags Great America: Waterpark expansion with Thunder Rapids, Proslide FlyingSaucer/RocketBlast slide.
Six Flags Great Adventure Hurricane Harbor: Thunder Rapids
Six Flags Magic Mountain: Zamperla Giant Discovery, replacing Tidal Wave.
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom: S&S Free Spin.
Six Flags Over Georgia: RMC Georgia Cyclone.
Six Flags Fiesta Texas: replacement of Power Surge/Pandemonium by Mack PowerSplash.
Six Flags Over Texas: replacement of Treehouse at Hurricane Harbor by a Proslide RideHouse.
Six Flags New England: Proslide BehemothBowl 40/TornadoWall60 Hybrid slide.
Waterworld California: Proslide Ridehouse.
La Ronde: Pays de Ribambelle refurbishment, using relocated rides from Great Escape. Re-installation of Tea Cups.
Six Flags Mexico : S&S Freespin.
Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Oaxtepec: Proslide SuperLoop
Six Flags America: V2 from SFGAm
Six Flags St-Louis: new Proslide FlyingSaucer/RocketBlast water coaster.
Absimilliard

Postby UWW-10 on July 30th, 2017, 3:12 pm
It seems like GAm is always one of the last parks in the chain to begin any kind of hype for new attractions.
UWW-10

Postby RollingCoasting on July 30th, 2017, 3:15 pm
^^Like you said, it seems a lot of your predictions have been debunked now :P 99% chance SFFT is not removing Pandemonium, SFGADv is getting world's first atttraction, etc. Also maybe it's just me but that seems like an unrealistic amount of new water park rides.

Other than that though, your prediction for SFOG is all but confirmed and your SFSTL and SFM seem very likely so yeah. I don't think SFDK will get a coaster next year but who knows
RollingCoasting

Postby anewman35 on July 30th, 2017, 3:17 pm
UWW-10 wrote:It seems like GAm is always one of the last parks in the chain to begin any kind of hype for new attractions.

I'd disagree. It's been a little spotty the last few years, but we usually get least a few weeks of teasers starting early August, a bunch of the parks do one (or none). I bet we have something within two weeks.
anewman35

Postby American Eagle 1981 on July 30th, 2017, 7:23 pm
Absimilliard wrote:La Ronde is my home park and the bad attendance is plain to see. Yesterday was a fireworks day with beautiful weather and most of the province on vacation. The result? no line above an hour, little crowds walking around and parking lots did not even fill out. The park also made a huge mistake when they announced the log flume was not going to open. The reason why its closed is perfectly valid: rotting wooden structure and too cost prohibitive to fix.

They posted a nice sign at the ride entrance and things online, but their PR spokeperson did not go in the media to talk about it. End result of all that was wannabe experts and an author who had just so happened to publish a book about the park took all the space and put a very negative spin on the story. It even made the front page of the newspapers and was the leading story in the tv news reports... It sadly killed a lot of the momentum the park had been gaining.

Two weeks ago, I wrote this list of prediction for Six Flags, but I now realise SFGADV, SFGAm and SFA guesses are not valid. What do you guys think?

Great Escape: Relocation of the Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster from SFFT, replacing Kidzopolis.
Six Flags Great America: Waterpark expansion with Thunder Rapids, Proslide FlyingSaucer/RocketBlast slide.
Six Flags Great Adventure Hurricane Harbor: Thunder Rapids
Six Flags Magic Mountain: Zamperla Giant Discovery, replacing Tidal Wave.
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom: S&S Free Spin.
Six Flags Over Georgia: RMC Georgia Cyclone.
Six Flags Fiesta Texas: replacement of Power Surge/Pandemonium by Mack PowerSplash.
Six Flags Over Texas: replacement of Treehouse at Hurricane Harbor by a Proslide RideHouse.
Six Flags New England: Proslide BehemothBowl 40/TornadoWall60 Hybrid slide.
Waterworld California: Proslide Ridehouse.
La Ronde: Pays de Ribambelle refurbishment, using relocated rides from Great Escape. Re-installation of Tea Cups.
Six Flags Mexico : S&S Freespin.
Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Oaxtepec: Proslide SuperLoop
Six Flags America: V2 from SFGAm
Six Flags St-Louis: new Proslide FlyingSaucer/RocketBlast water coaster.

Those are pretty safe predictions however it doesn't quite fit Six Flags Record Breaking announcement. I think they HAVE to do something interesting this year or Cedar Fair will really just be showing them up. I think there will be some all new rides we've never seen in the chain before and can't really predict.
American Eagle 1981

Postby Goku1910 on July 30th, 2017, 7:27 pm
Like the infinite symbol 'coaster' that's basically a fireball with two loops?

I honestly don't have much confidence in Six Flags announcing anything groundbreaking.
Goku1910

Postby anewman35 on July 30th, 2017, 7:39 pm
American Eagle 1981 wrote:Those are pretty safe predictions however it doesn't quite fit Six Flags Record Breaking announcement. I think they HAVE to do something interesting this year or Cedar Fair will really just be showing them up. I think there will be some all new rides we've never seen in the chain before and can't really predict.

Does Six Flags really care if Cedar Fair "shows them up", though? I mean, sure, it may be a little embarassing, but these parks are all individual things, somebody isn't going to decide not to go to Six Flags Over Georgia because Knott's Berry Farm got a better ride.
anewman35

Postby American Eagle 1981 on July 30th, 2017, 9:46 pm
Yes I do think Six Flags cares. At the end of the day, they are still a business and they need to make money. Of course Knotts won't take away crowds from Sfog but they very well could from Magic Mountain or Discovery Kingdom. A lot of times enthusiasts forget how GP view the Amusement industry. They don't go to several different parks a year, if any. When a family plans a trip, they won't Park hop from one to another. It's one trip to one park and if Knotts and CGAm gets big new attractions, people will flock there instead of Six Flags. Honestly most GP don't even know what Cedar Fair is. Six Flags is the only household name in most cases and they want to keep it that way. They have held a promise of adding new and innovative attractions to each of their parks for years and while the attractions they're adding might not be RMC's and Gigas at every park like we want, they have held to that promise. Every year or two, six flags introduces some new fad that they add to parks. Super loops, free fly's, whatever. Whatever keeps people coming to the park is what they'll do. I don't really know where I'm going with this but yeah. To summarize, yes they care and will do what they have to do to keep as that household name, which we DO know means 5 record breaking attractions. That means no cookie cutter super loops, free flys, flats, or slides. Six Flags is guaranteed to have a big year.
American Eagle 1981

Postby stergmi on August 2nd, 2017, 11:50 am
I think V2 is safe for another here. If it was going an announcement would be made to get your final rides in. At least based on how Six Flags has done other coaster closings. Minus Cobra and Shockwave.

Man I'm still salty over Shockwave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stergmi

Postby maxwellt on August 2nd, 2017, 11:58 am
Well to be fair, it was between whizzer and shockwave, and everyone thought whizzer should stay, and in my opinion i think by now shockwave would've been demolished by now

maxwellt

Postby staticshadows on August 2nd, 2017, 12:35 pm
stergmi wrote:I think V2 is safe for another here. If it was going an announcement would be made to get your final rides in. At least based on how Six Flags has done other coaster closings. Minus Cobra and Shockwave.

Here are the recent relocations from the park by the current management team.
Iron Wolf announced closing Friday August 5th, 2011 and closed September 5th, 2011
Ragin Cajun closed after the 2013 season
staticshadows

Postby anewman35 on August 2nd, 2017, 12:37 pm
stergmi wrote:I think V2 is safe for another here. If it was going an announcement would be made to get your final rides in. At least based on how Six Flags has done other coaster closings. Minus Cobra and Shockwave.

Might be misremembering, but I don't think they announced Ragin' Cajun leaving until pretty late, possibly even after they announced that SFA was getting it (I think I recall some initial confusion if they were getting our ride or just a clone of it). With a fairly small ride like V2 is, even if it was leaving they could probably still run it most of the season...
anewman35

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum