Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2018 rumors, thoughts and speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on August 9th, 2017, 12:38 pm
BREAKING NEWS!.... Six Flags Americas top secret 2018 attraction has been leaked! Go Big! :lol: .... Sadly for them, this might turn out to be true, lol
Attachments
P1010748.JPG
P1010748.JPG (55.26 KiB) Viewed 11011 times
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby staticshadows on August 9th, 2017, 12:40 pm
Based on the Screamscape rumor, I think the water park expansion they described would look more like this.
staticshadows

Postby CoasterDemon on August 9th, 2017, 1:15 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I still like the idea of SAVING the cash from 2018 and getting something amazing in 2019!! And, a side benefit is that it will force people (like myself) to ride the Joker LOL!

That's what I would have asked for when they opened Goliath. Just wait another year and build a full, world-class, high capacity ride. Double loading, the works...

You don't like Joker? It's a fun "test track" ride. I can only imagine what a full coaster like that could be. Even something twice the length; taller, whatever. Possibilities are endless.

I laughed my ass off on Joker, it's hilarious and relatively comfortable. It reminded me of a "very short sample" of a classic Zipper ride (and not the new Chance version with shoulder bars, UCK!)
CoasterDemon

Postby staticshadows on August 9th, 2017, 1:27 pm
The 2018 page is up and Access Denied. It looks like they learned from last year's mistake and won't be giving away the ride names with the URL.
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/attractions/newfor2018
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/landing-block/new-2018-features
staticshadows

Postby anewman35 on August 9th, 2017, 2:15 pm
If they are making Hurricane Harbor into its own park, it'll probably get it's own URL. Something for the webpage experts to look for..

If they do make it into a full park and add some shops or food or whatever, it makes some sense to stick something in the back (by skull island and the mat slides) to balance the place out better. If they're going to treat it like a "real" park and not just a cheap or free add-on that stuff matters more...
anewman35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 9th, 2017, 2:35 pm
CoasterDemon wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I still like the idea of SAVING the cash from 2018 and getting something amazing in 2019!! And, a side benefit is that it will force people (like myself) to ride the Joker LOL!

That's what I would have asked for when they opened Goliath. Just wait another year and build a full, world-class, high capacity ride. Double loading, the works...

You don't like Joker? It's a fun "test track" ride. I can only imagine what a full coaster like that could be. Even something twice the length; taller, whatever. Possibilities are endless.

I laughed my ass off on Joker, it's hilarious and relatively comfortable. It reminded me of a "very short sample" of a classic Zipper ride (and not the new Chance version with shoulder bars, UCK!)

I think I would say I don't enjoy it. It's not thrilling to me. It's like "OK, let's get this over with". And not because I'm afraid of the ride. It's super short (really only 2 tiers) .

I have to admit I rode King Chaos last week and actually ENJOYED it! I love when it holds you upside down over the pond. And the restraints weren't as bad as I remembered them for few years ago.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby staticshadows on August 9th, 2017, 3:11 pm
anewman35 wrote:If they are making Hurricane Harbor into its own park, it'll probably get it's own URL.

No luck finding a page for it so far. I did find the new page for Waterworld California, which is being rebranded to Hurricane Harbor.
https://www.sixflags.com/hurricaneharborconcord
staticshadows

Postby gottastrata33 on August 9th, 2017, 4:02 pm
I'll never understand why we got Joker as the model it is, & why both SFGAdv & us didn't get the larger one. But we didn't. End of story nothing I, or anyone else can do about it. I find the addition to be a pleasing one. Yes it's over quick & yes it's capacity isn't that great statistically but the line moves pretty quick. I have very little complaints about Joker. I think it's a fun addition.

Goliath is a full coaster. That also is what it is. Maybe there is a reason RMC made it what it is. It's been 3yrs, the layout isn't changing. You all know you enjoy it so rather than complain about its length, enjoy the fact we received a major record breaking coaster that put us on the map again.

With all that said, I am excited to see what changes are coming to Hurricane Harbor.
gottastrata33

Postby anewman35 on August 9th, 2017, 4:59 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:I'll never understand why we got Joker as the model it is, & why both SFGAdv & us didn't get the larger one. But we didn't. End of story nothing I, or anyone else can do about it. I find the addition to be a pleasing one. Yes it's over quick & yes it's capacity isn't that great statistically but the line moves pretty quick. I have very little complaints about Joker. I think it's a fun addition.

Because a larger model would have cost more, and wouldn't bring in any extra crowds. It's not ideal, but I get the Six Flags thinking on it.
anewman35

Postby Viper 88 on August 9th, 2017, 5:15 pm
[quote="JaminOut"]
-And completely separating the water and dry park [quote]
I like that Idea I will add put in a station for the train by Southwest Territory. It would be nice to have another stop.
Viper 88

Postby RollingCoasting on August 9th, 2017, 5:18 pm
That'd be kinda pointless wouldn't it? I mean the Hometown Square station is pretty close...
RollingCoasting

Postby gottastrata33 on August 9th, 2017, 6:08 pm
Oh yeah I get it but they have to really start understanding spending more here will be worth it. We're a huge park. We're not Magic Mountain or CP huge but we're up there, there's no denying that. We can't think like a small park cause we most definitely are not.
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterDemon on August 9th, 2017, 7:37 pm
^Hey, I think we may have more rides than Magic Mountain!

I was just there... like C-3P0 once said "what a desolate place this is."

Plenty of big coasters (with wretched operations) and a lack of many flat rides. The place is just so big, land-wise. Geez, I wish Cedar Fair would buy up our home park and Magic Mountain. Season Passes would be logically priced 3 times higher, but man would they be incredible parks.
CoasterDemon

Postby Goku1910 on August 9th, 2017, 9:33 pm
CoasterDemon wrote:2018? How about finish building Goliath?!

I mean... it comes in at 65 feet in the air, probably 30mph or more, and descends into mag brakes. So much energy left!

(don't use the space issue; space is NOT an issue and never was).

I know I know... that is too far out of the SF box. I think X-Flight was our last "full/full-length" coaster.

Why must this always be brought up? This is just childish banter over nothing.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 9th, 2017, 9:40 pm
I don't see why they shouldn't take out Wahoo Racer, and than add your jumping pad area over there. just move the position of those chairs around for people to face the jumping pad area.
This area in view: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Six+F ... 87.9360473

or they can just take out the old one & expand:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Six+F ... 87.9360473

Put a restaurant in that not great sand area that only 10 people like:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Six+F ... 87.9360473
and than insert the gift shop around the new water coaster that might take up the Pictorium space.

This is just a out there question mark I have? Doesn't turning the train backwards ruin the wooden coaster track more, but didn't they just retrack it? So, if the answer is yes, than why would they do this right after they retracked it?
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on August 9th, 2017, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby anewman35 on August 9th, 2017, 9:55 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:This is just a out there question mark I have? Doesn't turning the train backwards ruin the wooden coaster track more, but didn't they just retrack it? So, if the answer is yes, than why would they do this right after they retracked it?

I'm certainly no expert, but I'm not sure I buy the "turning a car backwards hurts the track" thing. I've heard it too, but does it really make any sense? If it really hurt the track, wouldn't they either not do it ever or design a train that didn't have that issue?
anewman35

Postby CoasterDemon on August 9th, 2017, 10:29 pm
Goku1910 wrote:
CoasterDemon wrote:2018? How about finish building Goliath?!

I mean... it comes in at 65 feet in the air, probably 30mph or more, and descends into mag brakes. So much energy left!

(don't use the space issue; space is NOT an issue and never was).

I know I know... that is too far out of the SF box. I think X-Flight was our last "full/full-length" coaster.

Why must this always be brought up? This is just childish banter over nothing.

Because some of us go to other parks besides Six Flags... and we see how nice things are. How the coasters have lengths that are reasonable when compared to their height. And we see how well other parks are run... and wish that our park could be as nice with a solid operation.

This is a forum, everyone is entitled to give their opinion. It's no fun if everyone agrees. If it annoys you are is just banter to you... why read it or indulge? Move on.
CoasterDemon

Postby Goku1910 on August 9th, 2017, 10:34 pm
anewman35 wrote:
Ilovthevu' wrote:This is just a out there question mark I have? Doesn't turning the train backwards ruin the wooden coaster track more, but didn't they just retrack it? So, if the answer is yes, than why would they do this right after they retracked it?

I'm certainly no expert, but I'm not sure I buy the "turning a car backwards hurts the track" thing. I've heard it too, but does it really make any sense? If it really hurt the track, wouldn't they either not do it ever or design a train that didn't have that issue?

Designing a train costs money. I do believe it can cause more wear and tear than normal because with the train's reversed the weight is distributed differently.
Goku1910

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 9th, 2017, 10:53 pm
hmmm. I have actually never heard of that, nor has it crossed my mind. I can see with the weight distribution.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby American Eagle 1981 on August 10th, 2017, 10:19 pm
This is WAY out there but does anyone else thing signs point to Viper closing for good within the next couple of years. I'd say there's less than a 1% chance of this but it's interesting to me that they're choosing to run it backwards for less than a week. It's just a really strange and out of nowhere announcement. Plus all the talk about developing Hurricane Harbor, Viper is a prime location for a water coaster or a major expansion even though the Pictorium is a smarter plot of land. That's really all the signs that point to it, not many but maybe some substance. Also if a super loop is added next door they'll count it as a new coaster therefore giving slack to remove one. Vipers not a classic like other coasters, it's not better for kids than most other rides, it's not unique, there's already two other wooden coasters. So who knows. Just a possibility.
American Eagle 1981

Postby anewman35 on August 10th, 2017, 11:21 pm
American Eagle 1981 wrote:This is WAY out there but does anyone else thing signs point to Viper closing for good within the next couple of years.

No. I don't expect Viper to close, but you never know, anything is possible. But what I'm positive about is that having one random week backwards isn't a sign of it closing, because what sense does that make at all? American Eagle, Batman and Viper have all had backwards times before and haven't closed. It's a little random, sure, but I think that if it's a sign of anything maybe it's Viper backwards for all of Fright Fest..
anewman35

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 11th, 2017, 1:16 am
I am not worried about Viper unless if Roar SFA gets RMC'd... if that happens I see it being a possibility. But we already have an RMC but then again it would be a cheaper thrill ride SF has been into lately. But god I love viper, hope it isn't touched
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby gottastrata33 on August 11th, 2017, 2:21 am
American Eagle 1981 wrote:This is WAY out there but does anyone else thing signs point to Viper closing for good within the next couple of years. I'd say there's less than a 1% chance of this but it's interesting to me that they're choosing to run it backwards for less than a week. It's just a really strange and out of nowhere announcement. Plus all the talk about developing Hurricane Harbor, Viper is a prime location for a water coaster or a major expansion even though the Pictorium is a smarter plot of land. That's really all the signs that point to it, not many but maybe some substance. Also if a super loop is added next door they'll count it as a new coaster therefore giving slack to remove one. Vipers not a classic like other coasters, it's not better for kids than most other rides, it's not unique, there's already two other wooden coasters. So who knows. Just a possibility.

First off, Viper was there a decade before HH. It was built along the coaster. Everything else: Not a classic? It's inspired by & a mere clone of the most classic American coaster of all time - the Coney Island Cyclone & in my opinion (& many others') the best clone of the Cyclone out there. It runs incredibly well. It was built in house by SF so is very unique to the company let alone it's simply a great ride. There is no indication it's leaving. I'm sure I'll get crap for this but your hatred/ill opinion of this ride bothers me cause everything you said just isn't true. I understand you're just speculating but, put some thoughts into what you're saying, it would be appreciated. I mean the park already has two wooden coasters? So should Holiday World or KI get rid of one of theirs because they have more than 2? No. Viper is good.
gottastrata33

Postby maxwellt on August 11th, 2017, 10:41 am
Right now viper is still running great. Until that ride gets rough, i dont see it leaving. And if it gets rough, I see it being replaced by another woodie, like what MM did with psyclone.
maxwellt

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 11th, 2017, 11:54 am
Could Viper just be running backwards to increase attendance this year? Perhaps they figure a little gimmick like that will bring in more folks?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum