Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2018 rumors, thoughts and speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby RollingCoasting on August 23rd, 2017, 12:48 pm
I'd love if they named it Rolling Thunder. Pays tribute to a forgotten ride and relates to the storm theme. Does it have anything to do with Mardi Gras? No, not really but neither does Roaring Rapids and it wouldn't stick out since almost all of the Mardi Gras themed rides are now gone
RollingCoasting

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 23rd, 2017, 12:54 pm
anewman35 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I actually would NOT like the name Voodoo on any ride. Sounds very creepy and evil, but that's just my opinion!
As for for the word hurricane, we already have Hurricane Harbor, so should they rename that so nobody is upset?

The word "Hurricane" with a generic tropical theme = fine

The word "Hurricane" with a New Orleans themed = potentially problematic

This is not difficult.

Comparing a hurricane (a natural disaster/act of God) to the Holocaust is not a good comparison.

I still don't see the issue with calling it Hurricane ________ (i.e. Force 5 or Surge). But we'll have to just agree to disagree. I still am holding out hope that we get something different.

But in all reality, how does a Larson Loop resemble a Hurricane?
As I stated in several posts, I wish we get nothing next year and then they save the $$ for something awesome in 2019 or 2020.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on August 23rd, 2017, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 23rd, 2017, 12:55 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:I'd love if they named it Rolling Thunder. Pays tribute to a forgotten ride and relates to the storm theme. Does it have anything to do with Mardi Gras? No, not really but neither does Roaring Rapids and it wouldn't stick out since almost all of the Mardi Gras themed rides are now gone

RC does it again with a very clever name! Yeah, that would be a good name!

OR better yet, how about Tidal Wave !!!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby staticshadows on August 23rd, 2017, 1:04 pm
Here is picture of my idea from earlier that most likely won't happen. Giant Discovery replaces Johnny Rockets and new restaurant replaces King Chaos.
Last edited by staticshadows on August 28th, 2017, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby gottastrata33 on August 23rd, 2017, 1:56 pm
Unless JR is crumbling & not up to code, why replace a restaurant with a ride to build a new restaurant next to he old one?

I'm all for the superloop if we get another attraction cause now that it's been brought up, I can't believe I never realized how long it's been since flats were added. So the more of those the better even if it's "just" two.
gottastrata33

Postby staticshadows on August 23rd, 2017, 2:07 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:Unless JR is crumbling & not up to code, why replace a restaurant with a ride to build a new restaurant next to he old one?

I'm all for the superloop if we get another attraction cause now that it's been brought up, I can't believe I never realized how long it's been since flats were added. So the more of those the better even if it's "just" two.

It's the only place I can see a Giant Discovery fitting in that area of the park once you add in the queue lines and they really need a star attraction in that area. Even when Power Dive and Cajun Cliffhanger were there, that section of the park was sort of a dead area that most people walked through or were standing in line for Batman and Shockwave. I am not sure adding a Superloop does much to fix that problem.
staticshadows

Postby JimPanky on August 23rd, 2017, 3:13 pm
Don't feel like we will see a discovery or sky screamer this season. We don't know but a super loop is possible.
JimPanky

Postby gottastrata33 on August 23rd, 2017, 3:25 pm
I don't think we're gonna be shocked but I think we're gonna be like "oh ok, not bad!" Or at least I'm hoping haha
gottastrata33

Postby anewman35 on August 23rd, 2017, 3:42 pm
Based on a combination of what we know and some of the rumors, it seems like the most likely thing is probably the Super Loop in the KC spot (which is fine, it's about the level of thing it feels like we should be getting this year). But there's still a perfectly good chance it could be less (although I'm not even sure what? Because we know it's something with "thrills") or more (the water park stuff also?). We'll know soon!
anewman35

Postby staticshadows on August 23rd, 2017, 4:25 pm
With the news about Magic Mountain today, the separate admission water park rumor seems more likely and wouldn't surprise me. I get the impression Six Flags is looking to reposition some of the parks for next year to maximize revenue.
staticshadows

Postby Wisco Woody on August 23rd, 2017, 6:30 pm
If it's true that Hank Salemi blocked the Larson loop from coming here a couple years ago, it will be a huge disappointment and failure of management if it ends up as the sole addition for next year. A single loop or skywarp will not draw anywhere near the crowds that the clearly successful Joker draws, but if it is a loop then they are likely just looking to dump the leftover and know it will not drive attendance. The giant discovery is the best solution to lack of non coaster thrills, and I think would be the best thrilling addition since Goliath and the best flat addition since Giant Drop.
Wisco Woody

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 23rd, 2017, 6:38 pm
^ I disagree. People will be intimidated by hanging upside down 100 ft in the air. Itll draw people in because it's so crazy to have hangtime 100 ft for seconds. Yes, it won't draw in us enthusiasts, but the GP will be over it.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby anewman35 on August 23rd, 2017, 6:53 pm
If you're worried about the GP reaction, I'd think a lot of them would just think a Giant Discovery is just like Revolution so what's the point?
anewman35

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 23rd, 2017, 9:45 pm
From a gp's perspective, I think I would be more excited for a super loop than a giant discovery. Super loop, especially if 100ft, would be more unique than a giant discovery to the gp in my eyes. To the gp a giant discovery is like revolution except sitting outwards. To the gp a super loop is a "roller coaster" that just loops over and over again.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby RollingCoasting on August 23rd, 2017, 10:38 pm
New rumor from JiggidyNDG states that we may be receiving a "Tall swing ride" next year... I kind of hope this is untrue unless it's a Screaming Swing or something. Always hoped we'd get a custom 300 ft. tall Skyscreamer, or atleast the standard 242 ft. model, but that obviously wouldn't happen since we haven't applied for a height variance
RollingCoasting

Postby staticshadows on August 23rd, 2017, 10:46 pm
What qualifies as a tall swing ride? 147 ft?
http://www.zamperla.com/products/giant-discovery/
staticshadows

Postby anewman35 on August 23rd, 2017, 11:02 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:New rumor from JiggidyNDG states that we may be receiving a "Tall swing ride" next year... I kind of hope this is untrue unless it's a Screaming Swing or something. Always hoped we'd get a custom 300 ft. tall Skyscreamer, or atleast the standard 242 ft. model, but that obviously wouldn't happen since we haven't applied for a height variance

Yeah, I've always kind of wanted a Skyscreamer, but I have a hard time believing they;d give us one shorter than St. Louis got 6 years ago...
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on August 24th, 2017, 2:46 am
Ehhhh well that's interesting. I feel like a flat package really is possible but I'll be very surprised if this isn't a water park year.

If the ceiling is 330ft, I'd hope they would just tap that limit. It's been decades since that restriction was put into play so why not just use it? I really really hope it's not less than 250ft. Our skyline will look so damn good with a 250-300ft ride added. Can you imagine if they asked for a 400ft model? Ugh I would ask to up the limit, its been since 1976 cmon ;) lol I would pee with joy. ;D
gottastrata33

Postby anewman35 on August 24th, 2017, 6:41 am
gottastrata33 wrote:Ehhhh well that's interesting. I feel like a flat package really is possible but I'll be very surprised if this isn't a water park year.

If the ceiling is 330ft, I'd hope they would just tap that limit. It's been decades since that restriction was put into play so why not just use it? I really really hope it's not less than 250ft. Our skyline will look so damn good with a 250-300ft ride added. Can you imagine if they asked for a 400ft model? Ugh I would ask to up the limit, its been since 1976 cmon ;) lol I would pee with joy. ;D

It's hard to imagine they're not putting something in the KC spot with it going and how much they've made a big deal of that fact, but it could be that AND something else...

It would be pretty crappy if we got a 199 Foot SkyScreamer.

I've always wondered exactly how firm the 330 foot limit is. From my understanding, it's set as that because they're in the path of Waukegan airport, so it might be hard to get around, but that also might be one of those urban legends that people repeat even though they're not true...
anewman35

Postby WolfsterJ on August 24th, 2017, 9:18 am
Screamscape reporting another verification of the XL Super Loop.

On a related note, another source has backed up the rumor of the park getting a special "World's Tallest and Fastest" Larson Super Loop ride for 2018. The standard Larson "Giant Loop" ride that they've been selling to parks over the past couple years is 73 feet tall (22 meters), but the rumored new XL version coming to SFGAm is said to be well over 100 feet tall and may be called "Hurricane Force 5", borrowing the name that Fiesta Texas used for their Disk'O in 2016.
WolfsterJ

Postby anewman35 on August 24th, 2017, 9:47 am
WolfsterJ wrote:Screamscape reporting another verification of the XL Super Loop.

On a related note, another source has backed up the rumor of the park getting a special "World's Tallest and Fastest" Larson Super Loop ride for 2018. The standard Larson "Giant Loop" ride that they've been selling to parks over the past couple years is 73 feet tall (22 meters), but the rumored new XL version coming to SFGAm is said to be well over 100 feet tall and may be called "Hurricane Force 5", borrowing the name that Fiesta Texas used for their Disk'O in 2016.

Of course, we don't know if this whole thing is just going in circles and the "other source" is just things posted here.

Only a week to go, really hope we get a more informational teaser soon...
anewman35

Postby staticshadows on August 24th, 2017, 9:54 am
anewman35 wrote:I've always wondered exactly how firm the 330 foot limit is. From my understanding, it's set as that because they're in the path of Waukegan airport, so it might be hard to get around, but that also might be one of those urban legends that people repeat even though they're not true...

I haven't been able to find any official documentation on the height limit outside of it being mentioned in some of the planning board and village board meeting minutes. I would assume there is some sort of FAA appeal or exemption process if the park really wanted to exceed the limit.
staticshadows

Postby anewman35 on August 24th, 2017, 10:05 am
staticshadows wrote:
anewman35 wrote:I've always wondered exactly how firm the 330 foot limit is. From my understanding, it's set as that because they're in the path of Waukegan airport, so it might be hard to get around, but that also might be one of those urban legends that people repeat even though they're not true...

I haven't been able to find any official documentation on the height limit outside of it being mentioned in some of the planning board and village board meeting minutes. I would assume there is some sort of FAA appeal or exemption process if the park really wanted to exceed the limit.

And since the park has very rarely even tried to go above 200 feet, it doesn't seem likely they'll try to go over 300 feet any time soon.
anewman35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 24th, 2017, 12:12 pm
Wisco Woody wrote: A single loop or skywarp will not draw anywhere near the crowds that the clearly successful Joker draws, but if it is a loop then they are likely just looking to dump the leftover and know it will not drive attendance. The giant discovery is the best solution to lack of non coaster thrills, and I think would be the best thrilling addition since Goliath and the best flat addition since Giant Drop.

I agree with the statements about Goliath and Giant Drop. However, I don't know how successful Joker really is. Each visit to the park, I've seen the line be shorter and shorter.
All the people I've asked how they like Joker have said "it's just OK", and that included some teens, in addition to people in their 30's and 40's. One friend that I rode it with said it's too violent with the artificially forced flips and that he's done riding it.
When Goliath came out everyone LOVED it and the line was crazy long all throughout 2014 and 2015!!

I don't mean to keep raining on the "Joker parade" but I think the novelty of the ride is going to wear off.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby anewman35 on August 24th, 2017, 12:47 pm
Saying "Joker isn't as well loved as Goliath" is like saying "Spacey's Sprocket Rockets isn't as well loved as Whizzer". Yes, they're technically in the same ride category, but one is a unique special thing and the other is a generic clone. I can't imagine anybody at Six Flags would think Joker was a failure because it wasn't as popular as Goliath.
anewman35

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum