Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2018 rumors, thoughts and speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Skankhunt42 on July 21st, 2017, 1:58 pm
A water coaster and flat could be done for around $5 million. Replace King Chaos and add to the water park for 2018.

Goku1910 wrote:Obvious troll post. Ground soaking? Is SFGAm built on a plot of quicksand or something? It's like if it rains too much a sinkhole will open and swallow the park whole. They teach you in science class how groundwater works.... :roll:

Kentucky Kingdom didn't get a coaster this year and Spinsanity is a coaster? Nah....

Somebody doesn't understand sarcasm, I was making fun of some of the repetitive posters and idiotic posts that have taken over the forums lately.
Skankhunt42

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 21st, 2017, 2:34 pm
illinoiscoasters wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
illinoiscoasters wrote:Hello everyone, this is my first post, so I am not sure how things work around here. But these are my thoughts.

[ I could see a Wonder Woman: Lasso of Truth name because it's right next to Superman - Ultimate Flop and Dark Plight.

You're killing me with the Superman and Dark Knight names! Dark Knight is a solid dark ride and family ride.
And Superman is a fun ride! Now, Lightning Rod should be renamed "Broken Rod" :D
I was at Dollywood 3 days this year and it wasn't running at all!!

Dark Knight's capacity and operations are :A::S::S:. And Superman is mostly forceless, doesn't do too much, and nowhere near the average wait time.

It's capacity and operations are one of the best mouse coasters out there. Go to other parks with mouse coasters, and watch how they send them so slowly. Batman (indoors) can probably have 3 cars on the course at a time - one going up the lift / one in the middle / one at the end track. The constant conveyor belt strategy is a great idea. Superman is a great ride to me, and that's your opinion it's not good. Oh, well. You have your opinion.

And $5 million for a water coaster and a flat at a Six Flags park is not possible. Wildebeest alone at Holiday World cost $5.5 million, and that was 7 years ago. Six Flags over spends on anything and everything. That one at Fiesta Texas has to be more expensive because there is just more slide to it (with the round circles of that ride), and it's not 7 years old. Prices go up every single year for rides.

My notes say that something like King Chaos alone cost $3 million.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 21st, 2017, 2:51 pm
illinoiscoasters wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
illinoiscoasters wrote:Hello everyone, this is my first post,

Dark Knight's capacity and operations are :A::S::S:. And Superman is mostly forceless, doesn't do too much, and nowhere near the average wait time.

Dark Knight fills 2 niches: dark ride and family ride

Superman has plenty of force on that pretzel loop and it's a fun ride in my opinion! Something doesn't have to have crazy amounts of force to be a fun ride (ex. Whizzer). I know many people who won't ride Batman BECAUSE it is very forceful.

Forceful doesn't necessarily mean a better or great ride. Yes, I realize a ride's "value" is in the eye of the beholder.

/end-defense-of-TDK-and-Superman
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Skankhunt42 on July 21st, 2017, 3:20 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:And $5 million for a water coaster and a flat at a Six Flags park is not possible. Wildebeest alone at Holiday World cost $5.5 million, and that was 7 years ago. Six Flags over spends on anything and everything. That one at Fiesta Texas has to be more expensive because there is just more slide to it (with the round circles of that ride), and it's not 7 years old. Prices go up every single year for rides.

My notes say that something like King Chaos alone cost $3 million.

Multiple articles put the cost of Tsunami at Super Aqua Club (similar slide to Thunder Rapids) at $3.5 million, if that is in CAD then it converts to about $2.8 million USD. Combine that with a Six Flags discount for buying in bulk and a cost savings because all of the engineering work is already done for a clone and I see no reason Six Flags can't clone Thunder Rapids for less than $3 million. Throw in a Skywarp for $2 million to replace King Chaos.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2817518/making-waves-super-aqua-club-opens-new-ride-tsunami/
https://m.canadianinsider.com/super-aqua-club-officially-inaugurates-the-tsunami-the-very-first-aquatic-roller-coaster-in-north-america-
Skankhunt42

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 21st, 2017, 3:50 pm
^You are right on the price, but that ride also doesn't have a lifthill and a station on ground level. It has a splash pool at the end. The lifthill and station (at ground level) would add some money to the price.
The one at Aqua Club.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVrdmFWuYHA

The one at Fiesta Texas (Remember this video doesn't show the whole lifthill or the "station" area)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krDTpgBHepY

Thus, Fiesta Texas SHOULD have more capacity, and more capacity usually equals more money.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby JaminOut on July 21st, 2017, 5:26 pm
Going back to respond to the “Dark Knight Debate”: we did a check on its capacity a while ago...

Dark Knight releases a train of four people every 22 seconds. Let’s do some math: say there are about 3.5 people on each train as some trains are dispatched with only three passengers. (3600 seconds (one hour) / 22 seconds) x 3.5 passengers = 572 people per hour. For Six Flags (and especially a wild mouse, that’s pretty decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 22nd, 2017, 11:47 am
^I don't know how their Shoot-the-Chutes is not taken out before the log flume. That ride doesn't even have water on the top of it. It looks bad. It has been rumored to leave for many years.

The other question though is does this person even know what rides are really original to the park. Highland Fling wasn't open when I went for multiple days, and you know they are taking them out chainwide. That's from 1977. That's really a "classic" ride even though it's not original to the park. They also don't need it because they have XCalibur. I actually asked them to take out Highland Fling, and give it to Great America because they have XCalibur; but that doesn't mean they care what I think. That park doesn't need Highland Fling. They need more of a family flat like a Huss Swing Around, Huss Condor, Huss Troika, bring back the Chance Falling Star, or Zamperla Balloon Race. They don't need 2 of the same thing when they have so very little flats.

Plus, the log flume isn't even close to the waterpark in order to put in a rumored water coaster. So, you would think they would take away something smaller that they don't need to fill the space like the Highland Fling, Carousel. Yet, the water coaster rumor could be just bogus, so who knows?
Ilovthevu'

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on July 22nd, 2017, 12:32 pm
doubleb wrote:Rumor today that SF Stl is losing an original ride and speculation it's the flumes. If Stl loses its flumes, could GAm be losing it too soon. High cost to maintain 40+ years old flume rides and they only run part of the day.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Great America removes the Yankee Clipper and Loggers Run. That plot of land is prime real estate!
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 22nd, 2017, 12:51 pm
doubleb wrote:40+ years old flume rides and they only run part of the day.

They run most of the day. I don't know what you are talking about. Buccaneer Battle is the one that only runs for 5 hours, and that's the only ride in that park like that. Yankee Clipper is 11 -7 (8 hours), and Loggers Run is 1-8 (7 hours). Based on that logic they run part of the day, they should close down the waterpark for good as the most it's only open to is 6pm (7 hours). And Yankee Clipper & Logger's Run are so similar to one another, that you always have at least 1 open from 11 am - 8 pm (9 hours). It's like what they do with American Eagle. The red side doesn't open till 12pm, and closes 1 hour early.

American Eagle must be having problems. It doesn't even open with the park anymore at 10:30 am. Iron Horse Eagle ready for 2019 (If they did it, it would take 2 years to build that)?
Ilovthevu'

Postby anewman35 on July 22nd, 2017, 1:11 pm
A ride not being scheduled to open when the park opens is less a sign that the ride is having "problems" and more a sign that Six Flags is too cheap to have proper staffing levels.
anewman35

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 22nd, 2017, 1:13 pm
^It shows a ride is declining so much that people don't even care to go on it first thing anymore which is not good for that ride. For the water rides, you can argue and say it's too cold early in the morning or at night, but not a roller coaster. Why are Revolution, and Fiddler's Fling open at 10:30 am (and in the same area) yet Eagle is not?

Do you go on American Eagle for your first ride?
Ilovthevu'

Postby anewman35 on July 22nd, 2017, 1:57 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:^It shows a ride is declining so much that people don't even care to go on it first thing anymore which is not good for that ride. For the water rides, you can argue and say it's too cold early in the morning or at night, but not a roller coaster. Why are Revolution, and Fiddler's Fling open at 10:30 am (and in the same area) yet Eagle is not?

Do you go on American Eagle for your first ride?

Why are Revolution or Fiddler's Fling open earlier? I assume because they can run them with fewer people, and as previously stated they are cheap.

I'm not going to say that the American Eagle is especially popular any more, I'm not stupid. It's very possible it will get the RMC treatment one day, and I'm not even sure I would be mad about that. I'm just saying "it doesn't even open early!" isn't a problem with the ride, it's a problem with how the park runs. Any park, anywhere, is always going to have more popular rides and less popular rides. That's not a "problem".
anewman35

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 22nd, 2017, 3:42 pm
^So, I'm glad you go on Roaring Rapids at 8:30 pm at night. You are probably one of those people that only ride non-water rides, so you don't care about any water rides at all. And no, the waterpark is a perfect example because it explains how your idea of saying that these water rides aren't open all day / all NIGHT, is DUMB. blah, blah. Your logic is messed up!!

doubleb, I challenge to go your magical Cedar Point, and ride their Roaring Rapids ride at 11pm at night. Show us that you love these water rides when it's much colder out, and their is no sun outside to warm you up. Everyone wants to see you almost at midnight ride one of these drenching water rides, and freeze on the way home. And the low for tonight in Sandusky is 72 with no sun, so go and enjoy. doubleb, I actually challenge you to ride the Shoot-the-Chutes ride also while you are at because you love those water rides, and they should be open all day, and ALL NIGHT!

The low for Gurnee this week each day is 68 / 63 / 61 / 65 / 68. Wave to doubleb this week when you see him riding Roaring Rapids multiple times at around 8:45 pm before the ride closes. He will complain to the staff, and want it to be open for another hour, but they won't open it. :(
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on July 22nd, 2017, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Jeffrey Smith on July 22nd, 2017, 4:12 pm
Removing Loggers Run, Yankee Clipper, and V2 would open up a huge piece of land capable of fitting almost anything. V2s station could be used as the station for a new coaster. Maybe a new launch coaster. The surveying in the picnic area would also make sense for this.
Jeffrey Smith

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 22nd, 2017, 4:16 pm
^I really don't think they would give the park a coaster after a coaster. They haven't done that for a long time. They could do Iron Horse Eagle, but if they did; it would be built by 2019 (taking a year off). Taking 2 water rides away doesn't make sense unless they would only take away 1 (Yankee Clipper), or put another 1 in that spot. Personally, I think the picnic area is really dumb. They should host stuff for big groups of parties, but they should build big restaurants for those people. Who wants to eat outside in warm weather during the summer with bugs all over the place. Basically, they should build a bigger MooseBurger in that area just for private groups.

^^You are one that is complaining that they ONLY run PART of the day. Daytime is 12-5pm. So, you say that Yankee Clipper only runs PART of the day when it doesn't? It thus runs the FULL DAY! That's your COMPLAINT about those rides that they aren't open long enough, and thus should be taken down!! Right?

I'm glad you finally realize NOW that those rides are open most of the day. Part of your argument to get rid of them is ruined.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on July 22nd, 2017, 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ilovthevu'

Postby anewman35 on July 22nd, 2017, 5:05 pm
Iron Horsing of the Eagle any time soon seems unlikely to me, just because Goliath is RIGHT THERE. I know, I know, they had two mouse rides next to each other, etc, but it seems hard to imagine they could make it different enough from Goliath to make the general public think it's something worthwhile...
anewman35

Postby RollingCoasting on July 22nd, 2017, 5:08 pm
Jeffrey Smith wrote:Removing Loggers Run, Yankee Clipper, and V2 would open up a huge piece of land capable of fitting almost anything. V2s station could be used as the station for a new coaster. Maybe a new launch coaster. The surveying in the picnic area would also make sense for this.

Pretty sure that was for tree removal last summer
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 22nd, 2017, 5:45 pm
Jesus Christ, people. Calm down. This is a forum for amusement parks, not a battlefield. There is zero need for this childish name-calling. It is completely uncalled for. Let's get back to speculation and 2018 discussion.

I'm still sticking by the Waterpark Expansion.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby maxwellt on July 22nd, 2017, 6:02 pm
Thank you Cam! Yes this website has been around for a LONG time, and we dont want to destroy it now, after over 10 years of this. For the people that are name calling and battling each other, it really ruins the sfgamworld experience for the rest, I've gotten sick and tired of the forums because of it. So if we can keep all the bantering to a zero, that would be lovely.

Now onto the amusement stuff, I think that a roller coaster would definitely not be coming in 2018 and chances for 2019 are slim, RMC eagle is not too likely in my opinion due to it being a staple to the park. I could see one side being RMC and the other not, but even that is slim

Water park or flats for 2018
maxwellt

Postby gottastrata33 on July 22nd, 2017, 6:44 pm
Seriously Guy, amen. Lol jeez

I too am goin with a water park addition. I think it's time & after all we have received the last few years, I would not complain.
Last edited by gottastrata33 on July 23rd, 2017, 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
gottastrata33

Postby Jodon on July 22nd, 2017, 11:26 pm
I don't think RMC Eagle will happen. If I recall correctly, RMC and Schilke looked at Iron Horsing Eagle but thought it would be best to build a new build in the vacant Iron Wolf lot.

Also, in my opinion, Eagle is not a very good candidate for the Iron Horse treatment. Outside of the lift hill and helix turnaround, there really isn't that much structure to work with, so there would have to be a lot of structure added and I just don't see that happening.
Jodon

Postby Wisco Woody on July 23rd, 2017, 3:05 pm
RMC Eagle is the ace up the sleeve of the entire Six Flags chain to outdo the future RMC additions by Cedar Point and any other major park in the entire Midwest and Northern US. Eagle is the perfect candidate, as a Twisted Colossus style iron horse layout would be about 6000 to 7500 ft long for about $15 million or under, extrapolating the around $10 million cost of TC.

All they would need to do is shorten up the airtime hills on red side, add a couple inversions and banks in the straight sections that already have supports, especially on blue side, and then treat the giant helix the exact same way they treated the turnaround on TC. The supports are there, the layout is there, and the drop and speed are definitely there, it's just hard for many to realize how massive Eagle's structure is since it is built in a 20 ft deep ditch. Notice that they only repainted the lift hill support structure pure white, and have done nothing with the track or trains except minor and normal retracking.
Wisco Woody

Postby gottastrata33 on July 23rd, 2017, 4:43 pm
Why the fxxk do you have something negative to say about everyone's comments on here?! If that's how he feels an RMC Eagle would be, that's his opinion. Twisted Colossus was one of he greatest coasters I have ever been on & it does the classic justice. I would be upset if it was done to AE because I like it the way it is, but if it was done I know RMC wouldn't give us a crappy addition. It probably would be one of the best coasters out there. How you don't see that is delusional itself.
gottastrata33

Postby anewman35 on July 23rd, 2017, 5:04 pm
doubleb wrote:
gottastrata33 wrote:Why the fxxk do you have something negative to say about everyone's comments on here?! If that's how he feels an RMC Eagle would be, that's his opinion. Twisted Colossus was one of he greatest coasters I have ever been on & it does the classic justice. I would be upset if it was done to AE because I like it the way it is, but if it was done I know RMC wouldn't give us a crappy addition. It probably would be one of the best coasters out there. How you don't see that is delusional itself.

Read the delusion in the post, the premise is the notion that AE RMC, which isn't happening, nor is it a good candidte; would be some "ace" to out do Cedar Fair...LOL X1000. Cedar Fair can build 30 million dollar coasters when they feel like it, SF can build 7m dollar carnival ride clone coasters and superloops. SF has no ace to CF, SF knows they can't compete with CF, thus they focus on the homers like him that will keep buying $60 season passes no matterr how any cloned cheap rides they put in each park. But, that gig will be up soon as the market of homers is near peak at 60% homers as attendance. Btw, expect a Q2 miss on the earnings report and SF trying to explain away lagging attendance, they are running out of homers and no matter how many bonus BBF days they keep adding they can't prop up attendance.

You're probably right. But you also could have said it without being an asshole. Or, you know, just not said it at all?
anewman35

Postby chicagoperson on July 24th, 2017, 12:52 am
I normally only just read to keep up to date with my home park and have only posted like twice,but my god doubleb, you really do have a negative thing to say about every possible thing anyone can come up with.

Yes Cedar Point is better, yes Cedar Fair spends more. We get it. Nobody denies this.

If someone wants to post a THOUGHT or SPECULATION on anything no matter how ridiculous or impossible, they can and should. Its fun.
1. Steel Vengeance 2. El Toro 3. Maverick 4. Millennium Force 5. The Beast
chicagoperson

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum