Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2018 rumors, thoughts and speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 14th, 2017, 6:04 pm
The teaser seems to fit the bill for what Screamscape reported, but I am not sure if I am buying it. To me, it seems like too much for SF to add in a single year. While it would be a welcome addition, it really does seem to be too much for me. Guess it isn't the year for a sky screamer :( Looking forward to more teasers though. For the snapchat teaser though, it seemed to be more affiliated to the water park. Thats just my take though.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 14th, 2017, 6:20 pm
I don't think it's too much because if they want to charge a lot more money to get in the waterpark, they don't mind spending some money for the first year. For the people that say around Labor Day, they will have the sale that will mean the waterpark is included; I really don't think so anymore.

If they are doing separate entrance, they wouldn't have a sale where you get the waterpark free with a season pass. Sure, they might have the waterpark pass cheaper during the Labor Day sale, but it wouldn't be free anymore with a season pass. The writing is just on the wall for people paying extra for the waterpark. They went from everyone gets in free to only season pass holders get in free while other people pay $5, $7, and I don't know what it is now - $10 for other people. They have a waterpark entrance outside the waterpark now (They say it was only for season pass holders, but it's probably a test.) in planning for a separate waterpark entrance gate.

If I look at waterpark passes vs another park like Six Flags Great Adventure only pass, it doesn't matter now. The waterpark by Great Adventure is only open another 3 weeks which is nothing, so they make the passes for both much cheaper now. It's only $10 difference which I'm sure it was more money during the rest of the year.

I just cannot believe how much Six Flags Great Adventure charges just to go to the waterpark one day. It's so ridiculous. It costs ("on sale") $39. They really want everyone to buy a season pass. Raging Rivers in IL costs $25.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on August 14th, 2017, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby anewman35 on August 14th, 2017, 6:22 pm
Dan The Coaster Man wrote:The teaser seems to fit the bill for what Screamscape reported, but I am not sure if I am buying it. To me, it seems like too much for SF to add in a single year. While it would be a welcome addition, it really does seem to be too much for me. Guess it isn't the year for a sky screamer :( Looking forward to more teasers though. For the snapchat teaser though, it seemed to be more affiliated to the water park. Thats just my take though.

I could but getting all that stuff, because Six Flags does seem to treat the water parks at SFMM and SFGAd as "separate" and gives them a new ride every few years (and gives the main park a new ride in those years too). So if Screamecape is right and we fall into that category now, it makes sense.
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on August 14th, 2017, 6:27 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:I don't think it's too much because if they want to charge a lot more money to get in the waterpark, they don't mind spending some money for the first year. For the people that say around Labor Day, they will have the sale that will mean the waterpark is included; I really don't think so anymore.

If they are doing separate entrance, they wouldn't have a sale where you get the waterpark free with a season pass. Sure, they might have the waterpark pass cheaper during the Labor Day sale, but it wouldn't be free anymore with a season pass. The writing is just on the wall for people paying extra for the waterpark. They went from everyone gets in free to only season pass holders get in free while other people pay $5, $7, and I don't know what it is now - $10 for other people. They have a waterpark entrance outside the waterpark now (They say it was only for season pass holders, but it's probably a test.) in planning for a separate waterpark entrance gate.

If I look at waterpark passes vs another park like Six Flags Great Adventure only pass, it doesn't matter now. The waterpark by Great Adventure is only open another 3 weeks which is nothing, so they make the passes for both much cheaper now. It's only $10 difference which I'm sure it was more money during the rest of the year.

Great Adventure and Magic Mountain both have separate water parks, and both have given free Hurricane Harbor passes during the Flash Sale. This is from last year's SFMM Justice League announcement:

"Six Flags Magic Mountain is also announcing the start of 2017 Season Pass sales with its special Flash Sale through Labor Day weekend featuring the best deal of the year — savings up to 70% on 2017 Passes! For a limited time, purchase a Six Flags Magic Mountain Season Pass and receive a FREE upgrade to a GOLD Pass that includes a FREE Hurricane Harbor Season Pass, a FREE season parking pass, and visits to all Six Flags theme parks"

Could Six Flags change their standard process? Sure. But I would tend to assume they would do stuff like they've been doing stuff elsewhere.
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on August 14th, 2017, 6:31 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:I just cannot believe how much Six Flags Great Adventure charges just to go to the waterpark one day. It's so ridiculous. It costs ("on sale") $39. They really want everyone to buy a season pass. Raging Rivers in IL costs $25.

If you think that's expensive, some of the parks in Orlando go for over $60 for a day, and even in the Dells a one day ticket for some of the parks (Noah's Ark, Kalahari) can be over $40.
anewman35

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 14th, 2017, 6:37 pm
^^I'm shocked they did that. They are a really, really weird company.

^I like Noah's Ark. That is my favorite waterpark. Online admission is $30, and that's one of the largest waterparks. https://pe-na.secure.accesso.com/packag ... 1501389747

Volcano Bay is really ripoff central in my opinion (around $75 - I'm adding tax / locker), but if you look at Disney, they had cheaper deals for those waterparks - Waterparks & More add on. You had to buy the expensive tickets for the theme parks, but than the add on of a waterpark / or at the time Disney Quest wasn't bad.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby anewman35 on August 14th, 2017, 6:51 pm
It feels like doing the water park separate would make more sense than how it is now. I don't know about anybody else, but we typically want to go to a water park or go to the amusement park. Doing both in one day can be a lot of changing and trips to the car or lockers to get rid of the extra clothes. Right now, you'd have to be pretty crazy to be a non-season pass holder and go to the water park - you pay the price to get in the park and then you pay even more of that to use the water park (which is a fine park, but not worth $70 or whatever it may be at list price). At least if it's separated out, a non-pass holder who wants to just go to the water park can do that (and I'd guess there may be some sort of "combo ticket" so people who did want both parks wouldn't be hurt too badly).
anewman35

Postby WolfsterJ on August 14th, 2017, 7:34 pm
We've got a tweet! https://twitter.com/sfgreat_america/sta ... 9994170370

Personally, I think king chaos is gonna be removed. And because "chase the storm" is the current teaser theme, and the Thunder Rapids model is named after a storm, we're probably getting that for the water park, and a Larson loop or something like that going in King Chaos's spot. With SFNE getting a giant discovery, and they got Joker this year like we did, I don't think this prediction is that far off. I'll bet $5 on King Chaos being gone on the 28th.
WolfsterJ

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 14th, 2017, 7:52 pm
No matter what I will be riding KK Wednesday just in case :lol:
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 14th, 2017, 8:05 pm
If the new waterpark ride is called Thunder Rapids, that is going to really confuse people because they are going to say did you go on Thunder Rapids? Yeah, I loved it. Those water squirters got us badly. The employee did the squirters 3 times. Oh, yeah. That was an awesome ride.

It's a stupid name for a park that has a Roaring Rapids. It's even going to be confusing for a park like St. Louis that has Thunder River. People will be confused between Thunder River / Thunder Rapids or Roaring Rapids / Thunder Rapids.

Who in the world creates some of these horrible names for the waterpark and amusement park rides at Six Flags?

My family even calls Roaring Rapids sometimes Racing Rapids.

I would go with the name "Sea Wolf" for both water rides at Great America & St Louis's waterpark. The name Sea Wolf comes from the Over Texas waterpark. A Sea Wolf is based on a wolf fish:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 7570bb.jpg

Another name I like is Manta Ray based on the cool fish. Six Flags doesn't own that name. I don't know why they couldn't use that name because it's just a fishes name.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on August 14th, 2017, 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ilovthevu'

Postby RollingCoasting on August 14th, 2017, 8:12 pm
A watercoaster hasn't officially been confirmed or even directly hinted besides the Screamscape rumor and there has been 0 indication it would even be called Thunder Rapids so there's really no reason to worry...
RollingCoasting

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 14th, 2017, 8:53 pm
It's very interesting with the Fedor whatever name. It says that the boat was moved around, and they eventually got rid of it. To me, that sounds like Revolution instead which was taken from Great Adventure, and given to Great America in 2004. To me, they are usually sneaky with these teasers. It doesn't always seem to what you think it would be, but who knows? Why even show King Chaos? It's because it has the water in front of it which would relate to the waterpark / pool area. Revolution is a ride that is really from 1999 at Great Adventure. It was called Pendulum. Who knows though? We could get a Giant Discovery where Revolution is now?
Ilovthevu'

Postby RollingCoasting on August 14th, 2017, 9:24 pm
Neat observation. That could also tie in with anewman35's idea of the park possibly showing us a few rides in teasers before getting to the one that is being removed.

Will be interesting seeing how this turns out
RollingCoasting

Postby great america fan on August 14th, 2017, 9:29 pm
Did some research about the Fedor Shalyapin Valletta found out it was launched in 1953 under Cunard which has operated many ships over the years including the Lusitania (1911) and the Queen Mary (1936) both were larger than the Fedor Shalyapin Valletta with the Ships lengths being 787ft and 1,019.4 ft respectively where the Fedor Shalyapin Valletta (1953) was only 608 ft 3 in. The Cunard company revitalized its brand in 2004 (the same year the Fedor Shalyapin Valletta was scrapped and king chaos was constructed) with the queen Mary 2 a ship with a length of 1,132 ft setting a RECORD for the worlds largest passenger ship.
Last edited by great america fan on August 14th, 2017, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
great america fan

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on August 14th, 2017, 9:31 pm
I'm betting this lifeguard donut shows up by Trailblazers old spot next week if it is going to be moved.
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 14th, 2017, 9:38 pm
^^Yet, you can say that the waterpark was being constructed at the end of 2004, but opened in 2005. So, a bigger waterpark... / a bigger larger boat.

So, where did this life saver thing come from? I think it might have come from Castaway Creek (relaxing river) in the waterpark - which is near the Tornado waterslide. The building is some sort of electrical building. Maybe, it has water pumps in it. Look at the building - towards the bottom: https://youtu.be/G_PpYu_jsEA?t=50s

I kind of feel like they were teasing enthusiasts earlier this year on the train ride. They had a Yankee Clipper boat next to the Jester's Wild Ride. Something water / something defunct.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on August 14th, 2017, 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Muck Finnesota on August 14th, 2017, 10:11 pm
After all the V2 removal talk, this is a most welcome development. I'd love to see one of those Frisbees Six Flags has been installing as of late- hopefully the rumors of a plus sized Ring of Fire are also wrong.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby RollingCoasting on August 14th, 2017, 10:38 pm
great america fan wrote:and 1,019.4 ft respectively

Whizzer Whiz Kid reminded me - That is the same length as The Joker's track

I'm thinking maybe it's hinting to the fact that the Joker has winged seats - Which could imply we may be getting an S&S Twisted Looper

As for the Storm theme, Hurricane maybe?

Looks like it would fit well

I may be wrong but I think it would be the world's first winged looping thrill ride, which of course SF would market
RollingCoasting

Postby WolfsterJ on August 14th, 2017, 10:46 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:

I'm thinking maybe it's hinting to the fact that the Joker has winged seats - Which could imply we may be getting an S&S Twisted Looper

I may be wrong but I think it would be the world's first winged looping thrill ride, which of course SF would market

It sounds like a great idea, but we already have two wing style coasters at our park. I would think Six Flags Corporate would put a twisted looper somewhere else, not at a park that doesn't need another winged ride.

But who am I kidding, they put Green Lantern and X2 at Magic Mountain, sooo...
WolfsterJ

Postby ilrider on August 14th, 2017, 11:08 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:

Looks like it would fit well

Wild Eagle at Dollywood, a B&M wing coaster like our X-Flight, has a loop, so that would qualify as a looping wing coaster already to me.
ilrider

Postby RollingCoasting on August 14th, 2017, 11:19 pm
World's first winged-seating looping flat ride then? Or just add the word "Shuttle" in there
RollingCoasting

Postby anewman35 on August 14th, 2017, 11:20 pm
I think some of you are reading WAY too much into some of these "clues". But I guess that's part of the fun...
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on August 14th, 2017, 11:25 pm
In all fairness, GL is very different from X2 with X2 being far superior & it was really just put in for a record. It somehow works at that park having the two.

For us, I know I'm crazy but I really would rather have a super loop than this winged non looping thing. I'd hate to see it marketed as a coaster & with the mentions of us clearly have two winged coasters as is, it wouldn't make much sense to me.
gottastrata33

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on August 14th, 2017, 11:53 pm
A Twisted looper would be an odd choice, but they did have 3 inverted roller coasters at one time (Batman, V2, Deja Vu) so having 3 winged coasters isn't that farfetched. Has a twisted looper ever been installed at any other park? If not, it would fit with the "Worlds first" trend......... On a side note, If this were to happen, I'd much rather them remove King Chaos than V2, lol
Nothing to see here....
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby RollingCoasting on August 14th, 2017, 11:57 pm
Nope, this'd be the first one
RollingCoasting

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum