Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Season Dining Pass - Good or Bad?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby anewman35 on November 8th, 2016, 6:55 am
Until recently, I almost never bought food at the park. Mainly because I'm cheap and I thought it was overpriced. This labor day I added the Season Dining Pass (too good a deal to pass up), so I've quickly been thrust into a world of getting food three times a visit and what I've discovered is that it's mostly a nightmare - I actually usually like the free food, but the lines to get food are insane. I don't know if the lines were like this pre-Dining Pass (I don't recall lines like this from when I used to buy food when I was a kid, but that was 20 years ago), but I have to assume the Dining Pass doesn't help, it usually seems like at least half the people buying food are using it.

So, back to the question of the post - is the Season Dining Pass a good thing or a bad thing, both for an individual and the park? I guess I'm not upset I got it (long lines suck, but they suck a little less when there is free food at the end), but every single time I get food (three times a day, maybe more if I'm waiting for refills) I have a few moments of extreme frustration. Does it benefit the park to have guests have a few moments of extreme frustration? I know theme park RIDES are going to have long lines, that's expected. But eating out is something people do lots of other places, and so I think people are going to give it much less of a pass - when you have a very long line, and you're not staffing most of the registers you could be staffing, it's a problem. And if I get this annoyed, I have to assume a person just there for a day gets even more annoyed about spending an hour in line for lunch...

Another thing I don't quite get (but must work out somehow) is how they make any money selling the thing that cheaply. They must, people must get it and then never use it, but that seems crazy to me.

Any other opinions from people who love or hate the Dining Pass? For me, I guess I would get it again, but I think the park would be a better place for everybody if it just didn't exist (I feel the same about Flash Passes, but that's a different thread).
anewman35

Postby Coaster Justin on November 8th, 2016, 7:36 am
Time to throw the tomatoes at me
I love the dining passes but we need more options. Maybe some healthier options too? Like Sweet Potato Fries, Smoothies, Fried Pickles?

I'll bet that if they raised season passes $30 a person and Got rid of Membership passes, Then the lines would be much shorter. They also need a separate line for drink refills. The lines do blow but they also blew at Cedar Point so it's not just us.

Someone I was in line with gave me the idea that if they got rid of the windows for lunch/dinner and you could order 2 meals + a snack whenever, Then the lines would be shorter.

Another idea (Highlight for 18+)--- If they added beer as a meal to the dining pass, then the lines would probably move faster.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby CoasterDemon on November 8th, 2016, 11:59 am
I got the dining pass the first 2 years they offered it. A good amount of time, I had to wait nearly an hour for not-so-great food. When the park wasn't crowded - well, that's a good time to use the meal pass, as the lines won't be long, right!? Wrong. Half the food places would be closed on slow days. Heck, sometimes they would be closed on busy days!

I vowed to not get that pass again. It was too annoying waiting in super-long unorganized lines for crappy food. I'm better off leaving the park to eat and waiting in a semi-long line to get back into the park. Or packing a lunch. Or just going to the park in the PM, and eating on the way up or when I leave.

Sorry guys, Six Flags has mastered the art of pissing people off. And they wonder why they had a drop this year? It has nothing to do with the weather, it has to do with piss-poor service. And trust me, as much as I complain about the service at Great America, I still truly believe we have the best park in the entire chain.

At first, a $70 season pass and additional $70 (or whatever it is) upgrade for a food pass seem like a good idea... but you pay for that low price in the service.

My aunt got season passes with dining for her husband, herself, and three kids. I've hung with them at the park; same thing. Food lines always seem to be around an hour. Where there used to be 2 or 3 registers, there is now 1.

Not worth it to me. If you don't mind the shoddy food operations, by all means get it. It's just not worth the frustration to me.

Oh yeah, and if you are getting a drink (purchasing one, or filling up your "free all year" souvenir bottle) don't get your hopes up. They seem to be consistently out of regular Coke and also frequently run out of ice. Especially on hot days.
CoasterDemon

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 8th, 2016, 12:13 pm
^ anewman, you must have read my mind! I was going to ask a few folks what they thought of the dining pass. I haven't bought it yet but Cam said it will be "on sale" again around Black Friday so i was considering adding it to my 2017 Season Pass.
I too usually eat at my car because it's cheaper and faster. Much less time is spent for re-entry than in the food lines.

The few times I've eaten in the park this year, the service has been very slow. And they seem to not be able to make any exceptions to the meal (i.e. can I have some extra sauce on the side, for example).

Also, I am not a soda drinker but I've been with a friend whose son LOVES soda! We waited 45 minutes at the soda place just outside of Batman for a refill! How wrong is that? I could have been on Batman but instead I waited for the refill with them. I vowed to never do that again. So I definitely understand the pain of the soda refills.

I am still undecided on whether on I want to get the dining pass. I might do it just this once to see how I like it and it will help me eat dinner much earlier (I sometimes eat on the way home after the park closes).

But the food is just OK in my opinion.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby RaceBoarder on November 9th, 2016, 7:04 pm
I seem to be one of a few that are against a Dining Pass.

It's made food service horrid. Lines are atrocious. Just look at the permanent switchbacks that were recently installed. SF knows food lines are longer than they have ever been. All of this has made it so I don't get anything other than a Refillable Bottle. I'll go an entire season without spending a penny on in-park food at SFGAm.
RaceBoarder

Postby anewman35 on November 9th, 2016, 8:20 pm
RaceBoarder wrote:I seem to be one of a few that are against a Dining Pass.

It's made food service horrid. Lines are atrocious. Just look at the permanent switchbacks that were recently installed. SF knows food lines are longer than they have ever been. All of this has made it so I don't get anything other than a Refillable Bottle. I'll go an entire season without spending a penny on in-park food at SFGAm.

Well, I started the thread because I'm very torn. I like it in theory, and now that I have it I'm going to use it, but it makes me mad every time I do. I wonder if would be better if the Dining Pass was restricted to fewer locations or if they had dedicated lines for it. The current situation is ridiculous
anewman35

Postby RaceBoarder on November 9th, 2016, 8:43 pm
anewman35 wrote:
RaceBoarder wrote:I seem to be one of a few that are against a Dining Pass.

Well, I started the thread because I'm very torn. I like it in theory, and now that I have it I'm going to use it, but it makes me mad every time I do. I wonder if would be better if the Dining Pass was restricted to fewer locations or if they had dedicated lines for it. The current situation is ridiculous

I'd be curious to see the actual numbers of people that have the pass in the line. I think there are enough Dining Pass holders out there where if you restrict redemption places, you are making lines more horrid. If anything, they need to work on efficiency. Just compare a stand at SFGAm to a similar one at a Hawks/Cubs/Bears game. It's night/day.
RaceBoarder

Postby RobSFGAm on November 9th, 2016, 10:26 pm
BAD
I got the food season pass for the first and last time this year. As others have pointed put, it is the in-efficiencies of the whole food operation. 

When to go to the chicken stand by he Demon and all they sell is a bucket of chicken tenders, you would think they could do that very fast….NO. 30 plus minutes.
Another problem is that if I have a sports refill bottle in my hand and they stop the transaction to ask you if you want to purchase another sports bottle…STOP asking if I want to buy a sports bottle while you are refilling mine. It’s free refills, how many people are going to say yes, I want to pay an additional $22 so I can carry around a second bottle.
Hurricane Harbor food service/speed is probably the worst. The started offering the food pass x years ago, but then close the hot dog stand section for the public @ Pink Flamingo…stupid. Then after waiting at least 30 minutes to order your food, you have to wait another 20-30 minutes to get the food handed to you. Seriously, it is pizza, a burger or chicken tenders and fries. Take my order, turn around and grab my food and hand it to me. Waiting in the heat with the line beyond the main walkway is a problem…ignoring it is not the solution.
I live 5 minutes from the park and went probably 60 times this year. I have only seen the food stand by the little dipper (where you can get the Fish & Chips) opened a few day this whole year. Like others have said they do not have all the restaurant open. It seems like they want a wait of 30-60 minutes at all stands before they open something else up.
Take the multiple people/resources who ask me 10 times from the time I enter the park to the time I get to the carousel if I want my picture taken. Everyone has a smartphone and this is not Disney where people want to capture multiple pictures over a 4-7 trip.

At the end of the day you can walk to Burger King, get your food, and walk back in the same amount of time. They just do not seem to be able to get the Food season pass to work right.
Part of me thinks they want it to be too much of a hassle after they get you $60-80 and hope you give up.

Hopefully for you they get clue and resolve the issues for you next year, but I would not count on it.
Only advice I have is get in line 5 minutes before 11:30 for lunch before it gets crazy crowded and get your food in 15-20 minute instead of 30-45 (or longer).
RobSFGAm

Postby Goku1910 on November 9th, 2016, 11:00 pm
I'm caught between Good/Bad. It's great because of the value you get from it as a frequent visitor. It's bad because Great America still hasn't learned how to reducing overcrowding in their food offerings. It's not "build more places to eat", it should be "Expand what we have". Imagine a 2-story JB's or Angelos's....it could be done. Two registers for all these people is not enough, I went to Mardi Gras Jonny Rockets and they were using ONE.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby RollingCoasting on November 9th, 2016, 11:04 pm
I think it's a good deal, it pays off in 3 or so visits

Sometimes when I can't stay at the park all day, I go at 3:30 (Get free lunch) and leave at 4:30 (Get free dinner) along with a snack

Whether you have a Dining Pass or not, lines will still be horrendous, I don't see that as a reason to not purchase the pass
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on November 9th, 2016, 11:18 pm
Bar the lines, I really liked it. With the amount of times I go to SFGAm, it was a huge bargain. I really liked some of the food, like the Fish and Chips, the Grilled Chicken BLT, the Soft Serve, and of course the milkshakes.

I think the park is at a bit of a crossroads at the moment when it comes to the Dining Pass. On one end, people want more options at more locations. On the other hand, lines are currently too long and food places have slow service. My solution is to have a 2:1 or a 1.5:1 ratio of food workers(those who prepare the actual food) to open registers. One reason the lines are so long is because the person at the register leaves to fulfill the order. If the system is that the person at the register stays at the register and has designated people preparing the food, the lines would move MUCH faster.

Another way lines would be reduced is to open more freestyle hubs across the park. Freestyles have more options, are self-served, and will take those who want a refill away from the regular snack lines. Here's a map of where I think are the best spots for Freestyle Hubs:

Red is for preexisting Freestyles
Blue is for my new HUBS
First off is the old Buffet le Grande location. Right now, it's really just a cool zone during the summer. They could make it better by adding a few Freestyle Machines. Still have the seating, but maybe upgrade them?

Next is the old SFOutfitters spot. It wasn't a shop this year- it was a meeting room, which I'm sure the park has plenty of. Why not welcome the Joker with some Freestyle Machines? It can also bring a bit of breath to the area.

Next is the Yankee Market area. I know they just "added" it this year, but it is a perfect spot for a hub. Right off the path, can fit in some machines, and could still even sell some stuff. If this location doesn't work out, they could always renovate that Funnel Cake place across the way.

This one is interesting. I decided to replace Sticky Fingers with a Freestyle hub. Now I think Sticky Fingers is a great shop and all, especially the fact that they sell the Frozen Lemonade, but the Coke Stand across the way is kinda stealing it's thunder. Also, it looks a bit outdated now. They don't even need to replace the whole building- they could make it an open-air building.

Next is the space Mach 4 Rhythm Machine took up. This space is a perfect spot for one, as it's right across from the Food Court. This will be sure to take away at least some of the lines.

The last one in the dry park is in the Mission area. It could be in the actual Mission, it could be in one of the facades, heck, it can even be where the Basketball Game once was. I considered putting 2 into Southwest Territory(well, one in SWT and one in Metropolis Plaza), but thought that one central hub would be enough.

Finally, we have Hurricane Harbor. Now, I haven't properly been into Hurricane Harbor in years(I ran through it in the Devil Dash for maybe 2 minutes), so I don't really know where to put it. Currently, my plan is in the food court, but if there's another location(s), then that's probably a better spot for it.

Also, I think that a Freestyle or two in all the Major restaurants would be great. It can make the lines move SO much faster when ordering.

Tl;dr, I liked the Dining Pass, but it has flaws. Better employee management and Coke Freestyle Machines can help reduce the lines at the very least.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterDave316 on November 9th, 2016, 11:44 pm
I would strongly recommend against getting the dining pass. It really took the fun out of visiting the park. You end up having to plan your day around specific meal times, and with everybody trying to eat at the same times the lines are miserable. They don't move, they are disorganized, and when you are hungry you don't want to be standing in a line that doesn't move.

Did I end up getting my $80 worth of food? Yeah probably but I had to spend hours in line to get it and visit a bunch of times. Also the food isn't very good, so not worth it. Your best bet is to leave the park and go visit one of the restaurants around the park. It will probably be quicker, better food and value. Even with the dining pass I found myself still leaving the park to get food because the lines were just insane.

Save the money and time.

Ultimately I think if Six Flags wants to keep the dining pass they need to really focus on improving food service in all their parks. If they continue to take the money for the Dining Passes and not deliver on the service people are paying for. It is ultimately going to anger people enough where they won't be returning to the park. People get angry really quickly when they are hungry.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Jodon on November 10th, 2016, 11:48 am
I think the dining pass is worth it depending on how much you visit the park. There are ways to get decent food without waiting in long lines, particularly at lunch or if you know where to get food. Most dining locations are pretty empty around 11:30-12 as people are just getting into the park and wanting to get on rides before they eat. Also, the Go Fresh Cafe in Orleans Place rarely has long lines for lunch or dinner. You can't get fries, but the other food is decent enough and filling. I've also had success going to the bar area of JB's and Strutters, sitting down and ordering food from them and skipping a long line. I did that on Sunday when the line was out the door. Granted, I had been sitting at the bar for a while to watch a football game, but the food came to me within 10 minutes of me ordering. I also avoid the food court like it's the plague. Snacks can be a bit time consuming, but I'm rarely set on getting a snack so if there are no short lines, I'll usually just skip the snack.

Also, the long lines are not necessarily caused by all the dining passes. SFGAm has made a conscious decision to staff things as tightly as possible. Given the low staffing and the high attendance numbers, long lines are unavoidable for rides and food regardless of how many dining passes they sell.
Jodon

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 10th, 2016, 1:51 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:I think it's a good deal, it pays off in 3 or so visits

Sometimes when I can't stay at the park all day, I go at 3:30 (Get free lunch) and leave at 4:30 (Get free dinner) along with a snack

Whether you have a Dining Pass or not, lines will still be horrendous, I don't see that as a reason to not purchase the pass

RC, so you eat 2 meals in an hour?? Or do you take the 2nd one home for later?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Goku1910 on November 10th, 2016, 2:03 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:

2 meals per day within a specified time frame. I don't remember the times exactly though. The snack time frame is lunch and dinner's time frame combined.
Goku1910

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 10th, 2016, 2:06 pm
RobSFGAm wrote:BAD

Take the multiple people/resources who ask me 10 times from the time I enter the park to the time I get to the carousel if I want my picture taken. Everyone has a smartphone and this is not Disney where people want to capture multiple pictures over a 4-7 trip.

LOL! I agree with the barrage of Paparazzi that all want to take your picture when you enter the park! Redeploy those people to food service locations! I also wish they'd get rid of the timeshare pushers that are usually in SWT. I am NOT going to be duped into entering a drawing for some 2 night stay somewhere where, if I win I have to view a "short, 90 minute presentation" ! NO timeshare presentation is ever 90 minutes or short. I Know that booth might not be owned by Six Flags and they're probably actually paying Six Flags rent but I really wish it would go.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 10th, 2016, 2:08 pm
Goku1910 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:

2 meals per day within a specified time frame. I don't remember the times exactly though. The snack time frame is lunch and dinner's time frame combined.

The way he wrote it up, makes me think he's getting 2 meals -not necessarily eating them - within an hour.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby RollingCoasting on November 10th, 2016, 2:30 pm
I usually eat the first one and bring the second home

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
RollingCoasting

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 10th, 2016, 4:09 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:I usually eat the first one and bring the second home

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

RC, that's what I thought but wasn't sure.
BTW, you need to check your personal messages (aka emails) on here more often :)
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on November 11th, 2016, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby RollingCoasting on November 10th, 2016, 4:58 pm
I actually kind of like the timeshare people. In 2014 I scored a free Chevrolet drawstring bag while taking a 5 minute survey I think. It broke in like 2 months, though :evil:
RollingCoasting

Postby dlmtechnology on November 10th, 2016, 11:55 pm
It's ok.

It's good for the fact that it pays for itself rather quickly depending on the deal you paid for, there is no need for a wallet to be carried in to pay for food, you can leave that in your car (you have your season pass attached to your Six Flags app right? :D )

It's bad for the fact that the past season I wasn't thrilled with the food offerings. It feels like it's always just burgers, crappy waffle fries, and shitty chicken tenders/strips. Familgia's pizza sucks, when I worked there in 2000 there was crap pizza at all the pizza joints throughout the park and then there was the Fire Station pizza which was run by someone 3rd party vendor, the deluxe slice was delicious, they need to bring that place back, I would eat that in a heartbeat over anything else.

The pasta I never really felt like battling pasta sauce off my shirt so I always avoided Angelo's

I tried the Garden Fresh or whatever it was called, this place was a joke. We waited 40 mins to order and another 20 minutes for the food. The picture of the salad that was being provided looked good but in reality what they served up with a "bowl of lettuce" covered in a layer of chicken breast chunks and a sprinkle of cheese. Do people not know salads should have croutons, and mushrooms, onions, TOMATOES, maybe chopped almonds. Anyways our wraps finally were handed to us and I picked it up to take a bite and the entire thing just fell into the plate it, you couldn't eat it without a fork as the shell was broken.

I typically eat at Mooseburger, it seems to be the less crowded, always end up with the burger (tried the veggie once, didn't care for it) but the service is unbelievably slow that my fries always came out cold compared to my burger, you 4 out of 6 times I had to ask for my lettuce/tomato/pickle/onion so I can make it look like the photo on the menu and the attitude from the employees when asking for condiments was crazy. This place used to have the lettuce/tomato/pickle/onion station right there for you to self-serve, don't know why that changed (well prolly cost) but to keep ketchup and mustard behind the counter is wrong too. Make that shit free standing and in pumps, not packets cause 4 packets of ketchup ain't covering the MOUND of cold fries they provide you with.

We did visit Six Flags St. Louis though this year and got to use the food pass there. Talk about Night and Day! Mooseburger lodge was fully stocked on the self-serve items, the Go Fresh stand there was AWESOME a full menu of items that our park did not carry, I don't remember what original item I ordered there but it came with a side salad instead of fries and when they handed me the food they asked what type of salad I wanted they had a spinach strawberry salad they gave me, it was freaking FULL SIZE, I basically had a meal to take back to my hotel room, granted that might have been a mistake. But their food service operations blew ours to shame. We spent 3 days in St. Louis, did the park 1 and half of those days and I feel we got great use out of this year's dining pass because of going there. If it was just going to our park then its hard to say.....I've been going to SFGAm for enough times that I don't like to wait in long lines and I'm not paying for a flashpass so if I leave the park to go to burger king I probably am done for the day and won't go back in, so I really buy it because it makes financial sense in that I drove 45 mins to come to the park, I'm there and if I leave I won't want to fight to find a parking space again, or the security line so I might as well just eat there. I'm not HAPPY about it, but I do it.

If next season (maybe I can talk my partner in to Holiday in the Park this year) we goto St. Louis or another park then the pass will come in handy as that will cut food out of the vacation budget :)

I think it's just time to draw a line down the center of a piece of paper with the word PRO on the left and CON on the right and whichever list is longer for YOU, there is your answer.
dlmtechnology

Postby CoasterDave316 on November 11th, 2016, 12:33 am
dlmtechnology wrote:If next season (maybe I can talk my partner in to Holiday in the Park this year) we goto St. Louis or another park then the pass will come in handy as that will cut food out of the vacation budget :)

I planned on being able to cut out food on the vacation budget this year when I went to SFMM for a few days. Turned out to be worse food service then SFGAm. 45 min. to a hour line anywhere that sold food. I ended up leaving the park and eating. It also ruined a good chunk of my first day there as I spent half the day looking for a food line that was reasonable, I would later realize it was a losing battle.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 11th, 2016, 1:40 pm
I don't think the only options are
A) eat inside the park (and wait forever to get some mediocre food and service)
B) go outside the park to a nearby restaurant.

I usually bring at least lunch and eat it at the car. I bring some folding chairs as well. I was interested in the dining pass to save time and to avoid having to go thru security line again which takes time. But it seems from what I'm reading on here that it might be quicker to eat at the car after all!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby anewman35 on November 11th, 2016, 3:19 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:Whether you have a Dining Pass or not, lines will still be horrendous, I don't see that as a reason to not purchase the pass

But there no reason they SHOULD be. It's not a given that theme park food lines are bad. They could up the staffing and solve a large part of the problem.
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on November 11th, 2016, 3:24 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I don't think the only options are
A) eat inside the park (and wait forever to get some mediocre food and service)
B) go outside the park to a nearby restaurant.

I usually bring at least lunch and eat it at the car. I bring some folding chairs as well. I was interested in the dining pass to save time and to avoid having to go thru security line again which takes time. But it seems from what I'm reading on here that it might be quicker to eat at the car after all!

Pre-Dining Pass, this is what my family would do. Pack a picnic, leave it in the car until lunch time, then eat it sitting on benches in the front. Significantly less frustrating than waiting in slow lines...
anewman35

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum