Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official 'The Joker' Topic

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 2nd, 2016, 1:59 pm
I suspect the reason no park got a crazy huge ride is that they're building a water park in Mexico. So maybe there was no cash left over for "big" rides?

Also, am I the only one that is thinking they could play the Steve Miller song in the line queue of Joker?? It would be a perfect tie-in LOL!!!

Also, one could argue that JL is a just a high-tech video game on wheels, but most people seem to be super happy we got that ride. Why the excitement over that but the disappointment over Joker?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Mean Streaker on September 2nd, 2016, 2:03 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I suspect the reason no park got a crazy huge ride is that they're building a water park in Mexico. So maybe there was no cash left over for "big" rides?

Also, am I the only one that is thinking they could play the Steve Miller song in the line queue of Joker?? It would be a perfect tie-in LOL!!!

Also, one could argue that JL is a just a high-tech video game on wheels, but most people seem to be super happy we got that ride. Why the excitement over that but the disappointment over Joker?

I was disappointed with the location of JL, then I rode the ride and I was disappointed with the ride... At least Joker will up the coaster count.
Mean Streaker

Postby bbd on September 2nd, 2016, 2:11 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I suspect the reason no park got a crazy huge ride is that they're building a water park in Mexico. So maybe there was no cash left over for "big" rides?

I had no excitement over JL. I have gone to the our park 8 times and road it twice. Once the 1st visit of the year and once when the person I was with really wanted to . On every other visit I have had no interest in it.
bbd

Postby gottastrata33 on September 2nd, 2016, 2:12 pm
BBd, I'm not upset, it's a slight annoyance with your critiques. You are bashing something 99% of the people here have not been on just because you don't like it. A lot of people here are excited & happy to have this addition. Within the last 6-7 years we have received well thought out & splendid attractions from Little Dipper to Goliath. Did everyone agree with LD? No. But it has its purpose here. Everything added does. Expect MagiQuest - that I will never understand. Lol kidding... Kids loved it. Kinda. Anyways ;)

What I will say is I'm glad you went into a more detailed description of why you find it overhyped rather than sayin carnival tech. So I'll give you that.

SF will market & hype ANYTHING that they put in. If you spend money on sonething you're proud you purchased, you're gonna show it off & use it right? They're doing the same thing. I understand everyone has their opinions but you're really harping on the issues that this "contraption" isn't a real coaster but dressed up as one with technology & hype. The simple fact remains this IS a real roller coaster. Did you feel this way in 2010 when Green Lantern was announced for SFMM? If talk is true, Intamin took S&S's idea of building a more compact 4D coaster. But years later, they waited & "perfected" it. How many horrible things have you heard about GL vs say Batman the Ride (Fiesta Texas) or Joker? Right now, the only side I may be in your side of the arguement is if we were discussing a super loop or Disko as a real roller coaster. That's far more cloudy than discussing a 4D coaster not being a true coaster.
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 2nd, 2016, 2:17 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:BBd, I'm not upset, it's a slight annoyance with your critiques. You are bashing something 99% of the people here have not been on just because you don't like it. A lot of people here are excited & happy to have this addition. Within the last 6-7 years we have received well thought out & splendid attractions from Little Dipper to Goliath. Did everyone agree with LD? No. But it has its purpose here. Everything added does. Expect MagiQuest - that I will never understand. Lol kidding... Kids loved it. Kinda. Anyways ;)

What I will say is I'm glad you went into a more detailed description of why you find it overhyped rather than sayin carnival tech. So I'll give you that.

SF will market & hype ANYTHING that they put in. If you spend money on sonething you're proud you purchased, you're gonna show it off & use it right? They're doing the same thing. I understand everyone has their opinions but you're really harping on the issues that this "contraption" isn't a real coaster but dressed up as one with technology & hype. The simple fact remains this IS a real roller coaster. Did you feel this way in 2010 when Green Lantern was announced for SFMM? If talk is true, Intamin took S&S's idea of building a more compact 4D coaster. But years later, they waited & "perfected" it. How many horrible things have you heard about GL vs say Batman the Ride (Fiesta Texas) or Joker? Right now, the only side I may be in your side of the arguement is if we were discussing a super loop or Disko as a real roller coaster. That's far more cloudy than discussing a 4D coaster not being a true coaster.

I love your use of "contraption" !! LOL....... I can't wait to ride Joker
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby bbd on September 2nd, 2016, 2:27 pm
staticshadows wrote:It sounds like Six Flags wants this ride in every park.
"We tend to ride on our success," Sam Rhodes, director of design for Six Flags, explains (with a bit of a pun). Since Batman was such a hit in Texas, the chain will roll out more coasters like it at other parks, starting in New Jersey. Because of its many locations, the company can capitalize on an economy of scale to develop and build multiple versions of rides.

The coaster checks many of the boxes for the chain's planning and design teams. It's big, it's bad (in a good way), and it's unique in both appearance and ride experience. "We already have a bunch of coasters," says Les Hudson, VP of design. "We want something different to attract attention and get people excited."

The industry's first 4-D coaster, X is highly regarded as one of the world's most thrilling, unique, and celebrated coasters. "It's an incredible ride," raves Larry Chickola, the chain's chief corporate engineer. "We'd love to bring it to every park." It isn't possible, however, because X is far too big in scale and too expensive to replicate.

Instead, Six Flags challenged one of its manufacturers, S&S Worldwide, to develop a more affordable and scaled-down coaster that incorporated the 4-D concept. It was S&S that came up with the more compact and affordable Free Spin model.

http://experience.usatoday.com/america/story/theme-parks/2015/09/03/new-attractions-six-flags-parks-concept-construction-2016/71603746/

X2 is no comparison in experience and thrill to a S&S. X2 is 10 thrill compared to a 2 or 3 with S&S. There's a lot in between the 46mil X2 cost and the 7mil for S&S free spins regarding coasters. . You can get a nice big coaster for 14M or the cost of 2 S&S. No big coasters across any SF is disappointing. SF would have been better off in my opinion, with 1 free fly instead of 3. Use the 14M from the other 2 S&S not built, to build a 14M coaster at 1 park. Also, the Jl's cost like 8 mil each, cut 1 JL and that's another 8 mil. That could build a 20 mil coaster at 1 park combing with not building the 2 S&S free spins.
Last edited by bbd on September 2nd, 2016, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbd

Postby Tardis1972 on September 2nd, 2016, 2:33 pm
^^ Same here. In fact I'm already planning on riding Joker on its grand opening like I did with Goliath.
Tardis1972

Postby Mean Streaker on September 2nd, 2016, 2:37 pm
bbd wrote:
"We tend to ride on our success," Sam Rhodes, director of design for Six Flags, explains (with a bit of a pun). Since Batman was such a hit in Texas, the chain will roll out more coasters like it at other parks, starting in New Jersey. Because of its many locations, the company can capitalize on an economy of scale to develop and build multiple versions of rides.

The coaster checks many of the boxes for the chain's planning and design teams. It's big, it's bad (in a good way), and it's unique in both appearance and ride experience. "We already have a bunch of coasters," says Les Hudson, VP of design. "We want something different to attract attention and get people excited."

The industry's first 4-D coaster, X is highly regarded as one of the world's most thrilling, unique, and celebrated coasters. "It's an incredible ride," raves Larry Chickola, the chain's chief corporate engineer. "We'd love to bring it to every park." It isn't possible, however, because X is far too big in scale and too expensive to replicate.

Instead, Six Flags challenged one of its manufacturers, S&S Worldwide, to develop a more affordable and scaled-down coaster that incorporated the 4-D concept. It was S&S that came up with the more compact and affordable Free Spin model.

http://experience.usatoday.com/america/story/theme-parks/2015/09/03/new-attractions-six-flags-parks-concept-construction-2016/71603746/

X2 is no comparison in experience and thrill to a S&S. X2 is 10 thrill compared to a 2 or 3 with S&S. There's a lot in between the 46mil X2 cost and the 7mil for S&S free spins regarding coasters. . You can get a nice big coaster for 14M or the cost of 2 S&S. No big coasters across any SF is disappointing. SF would have been better off in my opinion, with 1 free fly instead of 3. Use the 14M from the other 2 S&S not built, to build a 14M coaster at 1 park. Also, the Jl's cost like 8 mil each, cut 1 JL and that's another 8 mil. That could build a 120 mil coaster at 1 park combing with not building the 2 S&S free spins.

A $120 Million coaster would be amazing!
Mean Streaker

Postby RollingCoasting on September 2nd, 2016, 3:11 pm
Relax schoup

If you don't like it and think it's a gimmick - Don't ride it - Simple

Shorter lines for us

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
RollingCoasting

Postby gottastrata33 on September 2nd, 2016, 3:26 pm
X was only that much due to complications. That thing was & kinda still is a hot mess. Let's not forget, that's the coaster that put Arrow to rest basically. RIP Ron :/

I do agree with you Bbd that there is no comparison though. X was the first coaster I rode that I went silent on with fear. It was that first drop. Love it. Now that first ride I had was back in 2005 when I had experienced no other park but Great America & the ones in Orlando at the time. But still. I will never forget that feeling. It may not be a silent scream but an "omg what is happening this is nuts" feeling I have experienced on rides such as TTD, Son Of Beast, Beast at night, Iron Rattler, Fury 325 & Stormrunner over the years.

So it's possible to find rides of that caliber thrill wise. Will we get that with Joker? Prob not & according to you, no. That's alright though, I'm not expecting that. I do know I'm gonna laugh a lot on it though. I miss Ragin Cajun for the simple fact I would laugh so hard I would go completely silent & couldn't breathe. Was RC ever once scary? No but it was a damn fun ride & THAT is what I'm expecting out of this 4D free spin.
gottastrata33

Postby anewman35 on September 2nd, 2016, 3:44 pm
bbd wrote:

X2 is no comparison in experience and thrill to a S&S. X2 is 10 thrill compared to a 2 or 3 with S&S. There's a lot in between the 46mil X2 cost and the 7mil for S&S free spins regarding coasters. . You can get a nice big coaster for 14M or the cost of 2 S&S. No big coasters across any SF is disappointing. SF would have been better off in my opinion, with 1 free fly instead of 3. Use the 14M from the other 2 S&S not built, to build a 14M coaster at 1 park. Also, the Jl's cost like 8 mil each, cut 1 JL and that's another 8 mil. That could build a 20 mil coaster at 1 park combing with not building the 2 S&S free spins.

So three parks get no (or very small) additions so one park can get a big one? How does that benefit anybody besides thr one park getting the big one?
anewman35

Postby bbd on September 2nd, 2016, 3:59 pm
Last edited by bbd on September 2nd, 2016, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbd

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on September 2nd, 2016, 3:59 pm
^Like Cedar Fair.

I like our current system best in my opinion.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby bbd on September 2nd, 2016, 4:01 pm
anewman35 wrote:So three parks get no (or very small) additions so one park can get a big one? How does that benefit anybody besides thr one park getting the big one?

That's the way it always works. AM got a Skyscreamer in 2017, StL just got a Mega Disko. DK and La Ronde only a Giant Discovery. Those 4 parks got much less expensive rides while 3 parks got JL's and 4D's which all cost 7 to 8 mil minimum with extra costs for moving things, etc.. 4 parks parks got 1 relatively inexpensive flat ride, not even 3 ride packages like OT and Fiesta got in 2016. These things are cyclical, you get a pricey addition and then small cheaper additions for a few years
bbd

Postby RollingCoasting on September 2nd, 2016, 4:19 pm
Screenshot_2016-09-02-16-12-57.png

Screenshot_2016-09-02-16-13-42.png
RollingCoasting

Postby SFGAM_Hog on September 2nd, 2016, 4:20 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:
Screenshot_2016-09-02-16-12-57.png

Screenshot_2016-09-02-16-13-42.png

I saw that too :)
SFGAM_Hog

Postby anewman35 on September 2nd, 2016, 4:46 pm
bbd wrote:
anewman35 wrote:So three parks get no (or very small) additions so one park can get a big one? How does that benefit anybody besides thr one park getting the big one?

That's the way it always works. AM got a Skyscreamer in 2017, StL just got a Mega Disko. DK and La Ronde only a Giant Discovery. Those 4 parks got much less expensive rides while 3 parks got JL's and 4D's which all cost 7 to 8 mil minimum with extra costs for moving things, etc.. 4 parks parks got 1 relatively inexpensive flat ride, not even 3 ride packages like OT and Fiesta got in 2016. These things are cyclical, you get a pricey addition and then small cheaper additions for a few years

That's the way it USUALLY works, yes. But who says that way is better for the chain than giving every park an actual ride? There's certainly an argument to be made that more people are happy (and they make more money) with what the did, as opposed to giving SFNE, SFOG and us a new parade and giving St. Louis a new B&M with the money they saved.
anewman35

Postby maxwellt on September 2nd, 2016, 4:53 pm
bbd wrote:

Jl costed 12 million for us, but we got an extended 2.0 version of it

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby staticshadows on September 2nd, 2016, 5:35 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby RollingCoasting on September 2nd, 2016, 6:57 pm
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if SFNE's got their name changed like Max said

They're the only park that hasn't posted any CGI of their ride.. I wouldn't be surprised if they did what Great Adventure did so people would "talk about it twice."
RollingCoasting

Postby staticshadows on September 2nd, 2016, 7:13 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby gottastrata33 on September 2nd, 2016, 7:29 pm
I was just goin to mention that I have been watching all their FB live posts. They are really into their new coaster & are doing a fxxkin fantastic job at hyping it up for people. Yes, hyping it up like BBd & I already discussed. But I think it's a good thing. They've done way more than we have.

Anyone else find it weird that the only animation anyone got was SFFT? & I honestly think something of that nature will be heading to us in 2018.
gottastrata33

Postby Wisco Woody on September 2nd, 2016, 7:38 pm
I think they won't hype up our Joker as much because we already have 4 alternate riding position coasters, including a decent sized wing coaster. At Over Texas and New England, I don't think any of their major coasters besides the Batman clones are alternate position coasters, so their guests will be more easily wowed by a small 4D.
Wisco Woody

Postby chrisisdragon on September 2nd, 2016, 7:56 pm
I don't know if there was mention of this in the forums because the orbit is may not leaving the park what area the park will they put it at if its not going to a different park
chrisisdragon

Postby JaminOut on September 2nd, 2016, 8:08 pm
It's being scrapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum