Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official 'The Joker' Topic

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby RollingCoasting on September 2nd, 2016, 12:25 am
(Sorry for the double post :p)

I can't believe people on Facebook are complaining that this wasn't a family ride.... Both Justice League and Hometown Park (For families with small children atleast) were family oriented additions...

Here's what they said: (They got 27 likes)

need more family/fluffy friendly rides. Not everyone is going to want to go on something like this. It's X flight and King Chaos smashed together!
RollingCoasting

Postby chrisisdragon on September 2nd, 2016, 12:45 am
RollingCoasting wrote:(Sorry for the double post :p)

I can't believe people on Facebook are complaining that this wasn't a family ride.... Both Justice League and Hometown Park (For families with small children atleast) were family oriented additions...

need more family/fluffy friendly rides. Not everyone is going to want to go on something like this. It's X flight and King Chaos smashed together!

All you can say is Don't like it don't go on it. Six flags has plenty small rides for kids to go on like you said Justice league , hometown park and there KIDZOPOLIS and camp cartoon and don't forget the beautiful columbia carousel. They can't rant on how there not enough Kids rides there because there is. I think the joker Is a great addition to the park it bring more verity of coasters and different ride experiences at the park
chrisisdragon

Postby Mean Streaker on September 2nd, 2016, 1:17 am
RollingCoasting wrote:For those who aren't excited, It'll draw crowds away from Goliath.. so there's that

It could either draw crowds like Goliath or scare people away like X-Flight.

In my opinion X-Flight looked "too scary" for the GP when it first opened. I saw a lot of people go to the entrance and turn around saying "It's too scary" or "There's no way I'n going on that". The first three years after the ride opened I never saw the wait longer than 30 minutes, besides the season pass preview day. I never went on peak days but I did go on moderately busy days.
Mean Streaker

Postby gottastrata33 on September 2nd, 2016, 2:58 am
On my Instagram post through FB, I've already seen that reaction a couple times on Joker. "Nope!" "hell no" "not gettin on that" are a few to list. But I think that's a good reaction cause people will ride it still just for the simple fact it looks nuts.
gottastrata33

Postby MollysMomma on September 2nd, 2016, 7:32 am

This seems crazy to me. I think our park has a huge selection of family friendly rides. That's one of my favorite things about Great America. We have a great coaster line up and quite a few flats, most of which are very family friendly. Along with the flats and dedicated kids areas, there's Whizzer, Spacely's and Little Dipper. I personally don't feel that anyone should complain about a lack of family friendly rides. Also, the Joker has a 48" height requirement. My daughter is 9 1/2 and she's been 48" for 2 or 3 years I think. That means plenty of 6-7 year olds will be able to ride if they wish to.
MollysMomma

Postby WolfsterJ on September 2nd, 2016, 8:55 am
In other news, Jeffrey Siebert was upgraded to Park President of Fiesta Texas, so we're not getting him back anytime soon. ;(
WolfsterJ

Postby bbd on September 2nd, 2016, 8:58 am
MollysMomma wrote:

This seems crazy to me. I think our park has a huge selection of family friendly rides. That's one of my favorite things about Great America. We have a great coaster line up and quite a few flats, most of which are very family friendly. Along with the flats and dedicated kids areas, there's Whizzer, Spacely's and Little Dipper. I personally don't feel that anyone should complain about a lack of family friendly rides. Also, the Joker has a 48" height requirement. My daughter is 9 1/2 and she's been 48" for 2 or 3 years I think. That means plenty of 6-7 year olds will be able to ride if they wish to.

The park needed thrill non coaster rides. The selection is pretty weak. I would have preferred to get a big actual coaster in a few years and for now get a Zamperla Endeavor, Zamperla Discovery or Discovery Revolution, Zamperla Hawk, Zydeco Zinger, UFO like ride, etc... Give me 2 or 3 of those over the 4D S&S any day and every day. 4D S&S spin is a blah ride.
bbd

Postby astucks18 on September 2nd, 2016, 9:08 am
People need to stop saying "oh I wish we would have gotten something small, so we could get something big the next year blah blah". First off, six flags great America will spend 6-10 million every year, there is no "save this year spend the next", this isn't cedar fair or some family owned park, Six flags doesn't work like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
astucks18

Postby MollysMomma on September 2nd, 2016, 9:17 am
bbd wrote:
The park needed thrill non coaster rides. The selection is pretty weak. I would have preferred to get a big actual coaster in a few years and for now get a Zamperla Endeavor, Zamperla Discovery or Discovery Revolution, Zamperla Hawk, Zydeco Zinger, UFO like ride, etc... Give me 2 or 3 of those over the 4D S&S any day and every day. 4D S&S spin is a blah ride.

I agree that we could definitely use a couple thrilling flats.

There was a quote shared by someone in which another person said we need more family friendly rides. My comments were directed at that. We have plenty of family friendly rides, and I think even the Joker could be added to that list for families with kids who are a little bit older.
MollysMomma

Postby bbd on September 2nd, 2016, 9:29 am
astucks18 wrote:People need to stop saying "oh I wish we would have gotten something small, so we could get something big the next year blah blah". First off, six flags great America will spend 6-10 million every year, there is no "save this year spend the next", this isn't cedar fair or some family owned park, Six flags doesn't work like that.

Those collection of rides would have cost the same as the 7 mil a 4D S&S costs. Second, it's naive to think SF Corporate is going to bring another coaster anytime soon to us considering other parks are in serious need of them. We are stuck with a pseudo coaster, fake coaster, which will not hold up interest over time b/c it's just jazzed up carnival ride tech. it has been marketed brilliantly to hide it's a nothing ride. I have ridden one. It's something you say oh well experienced it, not much of thrill, no need to do it again soon. It will not hold interest like a real coaster.
bbd

Postby anewman35 on September 2nd, 2016, 10:04 am
astucks18 wrote:People need to stop saying "oh I wish we would have gotten something small, so we could get something big the next year blah blah". First off, six flags great America will spend 6-10 million every year, there is no "save this year spend the next", this isn't cedar fair or some family owned park, Six flags doesn't work like that.

I disagree. There are plenty of examples of "big thing one year, small thing the next". X-Flight/igNight and Goliath/Hometown Park are the most recent examples for us, but I can think of others (Twisted Colossus/New Revolution for one). If you take the money combined from the two years, it averages out to about a normal Six Flags budget, but mainly spent in one year.
anewman35

Postby redman822 on September 2nd, 2016, 10:10 am
astucks18 wrote:Those collection of rides would have cost the same as the 7 mil a 4D S&S costs. Second, it's naive to think SF Corporate is going to bring another coaster anytime soon to us considering other parks are in serious need of them. We are stuck with a pseudo coaster, fake coaster, which will not hold up interest over time b/c it's just jazzed up carnival ride tech. it has been marketed brilliantly to hide it's a nothing ride. I have ridden one. It's something you say oh well experienced it, not much of thrill, no need to do it again soon. It will not hold interest like a real coaster.

You could have said the same thing for Ragin' Cajun which was at SFGAm for 9 seasons and ALWAYS held people's interest and had people constantly wanting to ride it. Was it the biggest, fastest, greatest coaster in the park? Hell no, but people - myself and my daughter included - loved riding it because it was fun.
redman822

Postby astucks18 on September 2nd, 2016, 10:33 am
bbd wrote:

Those collection of rides would have cost the same as the 7 mil a 4D S&S costs. Second, it's naive to think SF Corporate is going to bring another coaster anytime soon to us considering other parks are in serious need of them. We are stuck with a pseudo coaster, fake coaster, which will not hold up interest over time b/c it's just jazzed up carnival ride tech. it has been marketed brilliantly to hide it's a nothing ride. I have ridden one. It's something you say oh well experienced it, not much of thrill, no need to do it again soon. It will not hold interest like a real coaster.

I've ridden one as well, i loved it both times. GP will love it too, it will likely result in new people coming to the park which could result in an attendance boost. That attendance boost will mean corporate will be willing to spend more on our park, meaning newer better rides. Maybe as an enthusiast, you would have rather had some flats, but joe from Milwaukee doesn't want to drive an hour to ride a zamperla endeavor, no, joe wants to ride a brand new unique coaster, which an S&S 4D is.

astucks18

Postby gottastrata33 on September 2nd, 2016, 11:12 am
bbd wrote:

First of all - You're coming off as a hater, you're gonna hate on whatever is said cause you hate. Don't ride it then. & don't be posting pics of it when it comes out when you realize it's a nice addition. I'm getting sick of you saying "carnival ride tech".

Secondly, it is a real roller coaster. A 4D isn't like Pinnochio asking to be a real boy. A 4D coaster is a real roller coaster.

In closing, you are the only person I have heard a horrible review from. I know 3 people personally who have been on one already & have read countless posts &/or reviews on batman & Joker all of which have one complaint about this fun ride - it is short. Other than that, I've heard it's fun & delivers a fun ride. If you don't like fun, well no one can help you. This isn't Maverick, TTD or Fury 325. I get that but I'm not sorry about it. But take it for what it is & if you don't like it, move on to what you do like in our park.
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 2nd, 2016, 11:52 am
RollingCoasting wrote:For those who aren't excited, It'll draw crowds away from Goliath.. so there's that

And away from Superman and TDK, I know how much those rides are loved and revered :)
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 2nd, 2016, 12:02 pm
The Joker will definitely have appeal for kids! I think most kids will run to get on this ride. It's their parents that might have second thoughts :) So the ride isn't for little kids, but is still somewhat family friendly.

The description given in the article says it has special magnets to control the spinning and make it smooth. So, I'm thinking it will be a good ride then.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Mean Streaker on September 2nd, 2016, 12:11 pm
Technically all roller coasters are is a chain lift and wheels. You can't really count the computer safety systems because those don't enhance the ride. Most carnival ride probably more high tech than most roller coasters.

So you can't say this ride has carnival tech because it doesn't. It's pretty much the same thing as Fury 325, Millenium Force and any other roller coaster.
Mean Streaker

Postby bbd on September 2nd, 2016, 12:15 pm
Mean Streaker wrote:Technically all roller coasters are is a chain lift and wheels. You can't really count the computer safety systems because those don't enhance the ride. Most carnival ride probably more high tech than most roller coasters.

So you can't say this ride has carnival tech because it doesn't. It's pretty much the same thing as Fury 325, Millenium Force and any other roller coaster.

No it's not. You clearly haven't ridden one. Like I said before, it a well marketed gimmick S&S has come up with.
bbd

Postby RollingCoasting on September 2nd, 2016, 12:28 pm
Dude come on - Just because the stuff you "Confirmed" (Superloops, etc.) didn't come true doesn't mean you have to be mad ;)

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
RollingCoasting

Postby astucks18 on September 2nd, 2016, 12:39 pm
bbd wrote:
Mean Streaker wrote:Technically all roller coasters are is a chain lift and wheels. You can't really count the computer safety systems because those don't enhance the ride. Most carnival ride probably more high tech than most roller coasters.

No it's not. You clearly haven't ridden one. Like I said before, it a well marketed gimmick S&S has come up with.

You pretentious pearl clutcher, Freespins are the best rides in the chain.

astucks18

Postby bbd on September 2nd, 2016, 12:45 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:
bbd wrote:

First of all - You're coming off as a hater, you're gonna hate on whatever is said cause you hate. Don't ride it then. & don't be posting pics of it when it comes out when you realize it's a nice addition. I'm getting sick of you saying "carnival ride tech".

Secondly, it is a real roller coaster. A 4D isn't like Pinnochio asking to be a real boy. A 4D coaster is a real roller coaster.

In closing, you are the only person I have heard a horrible review from. I know 3 people personally who have been on one already & have read countless posts &/or reviews on batman & Joker all of which have one complaint about this fun ride - it is short. Other than that, I've heard it's fun & delivers a fun ride. If you don't like fun, well no one can help you. This isn't Maverick, TTD or Fury 325. I get that but I'm not sorry about it. But take it for what it is & if you don't like it, move on to what you do like in our park.

First, I find it hilarious how upset you are over any critique. It's a poor ride, one and done with interest per visit as it's underwhelming on the thrill meter. The absence of any lateral movements, makes real enthusiasts not to consider the rides 4th dimension roller coasters due to the fact that all movement is restricted to a 2 dimensional plane. It's a gimmick of marketing. Try looking for other opinions, but it seems diverse views and actual critique clearly riles you up.

I have been to parks that have, I have road it. The views of people at the park was blah by most. SF had people out at the front gates doing interviews at SFGAdv trying to hype it. "Are you going to ride the Joker?" They were blatantly trying to hype it as people waited for the gates to open. This is a a ride they just added and the fact it Kingda Ka, El Toro and others were getting bigger lines than the ride that was new and they were hyping. Worrisome for them and they know it. They are concerned it won't hold up over time in interest. Btw, the ride line for it was largely do to it's low per hr capacity over massive interest. Their new "great hyped ride" had a 15 to 20 min wait on a busy midday in August, while many other rides had longer waits. Troublesome and SF has added 3 more of these things.
bbd

Postby anewman35 on September 2nd, 2016, 12:51 pm
If Six Flags had concerns about the long-term aspects of the Joker... They wouldn't be building three more for next year...
anewman35

Postby bbd on September 2nd, 2016, 12:58 pm
astucks18 wrote:
bbd wrote:

You pretentious pearl clutcher, Freespins are the best rides in the chain.

They are so good that despite being new it had the one of the shortest lines all day of any coaster in the park, despite the fact it has the lowest per hr capacity of any coaster.
bbd

Postby Mean Streaker on September 2nd, 2016, 1:50 pm
I didn't really want a freespin. I'll probably ride it once and I agree that it's a gimmick ride. But after seeing all of the 2017 announcements I don't think we could've gotten anything better and I don't think we will get anything better in the next few years. Without one major coaster this year I don't think we can expect anything big for a long time.

And if it is schoup can you guys not get into a fight with him?
Mean Streaker

Postby staticshadows on September 2nd, 2016, 1:53 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum