Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2017 Passes/Memberships

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby batmanfan80 on September 1st, 2016, 9:23 pm
bbd wrote:
batmanfan80 wrote:I'm not sure how we ended up spending $450 for two season passes with parking on one and two dining passes, but I'm waiting to see how FF turns out before I consider buying more passes. If I lived right down the street or even within 30 miles, it'd be worth it just to use the dining pass every week. But if I'm going for the rides, it seems kinda silly to plunk down over $400 for maybe 6-8 weeks between May-July where the lines are reasonable. The dining pass is very worthwhile. You could get by with just one for two people because they give out such big quantities. Even when there were hordes of people in the middle of last month, we never had a problem with food lines.

If the prices go lower in addition to adding the new Joker coaster that may or may not increase demand. Goliath I think just increased demand for Flash Passes tenfold. Joker might only get an X-Flight level of hype, which is to say hardly any. X-Flight ridership has been much higher in the Goliath era than when it first opened. What they're trying to do I think is maintain the extra interest the Goliath advertising blitz brought them. My guess is that they're hoping this Joker coaster sustains it until they can bring in another record-setter that generates massive interest.

When you ordered did you add Season Parking to your cart? You didn't need to b/c the deal was free upgrade to Gold, which comes with free parking. Don't see how you got $450 total with 2 passes, 2 Dining..should have been about $300 w/ tax and processing fee.

Wife bought em in March or February. Don't think there was much a deal then. Shopping pass too.
batmanfan80

Postby anewman35 on September 1st, 2016, 9:27 pm
batmanfan80 wrote:
bbd wrote:
batmanfan80 wrote:I'm not sure how we ended up spending $450 for two season passes with parking on one and two dining passes, but I'm waiting to see how FF turns out before I consider buying more passes. If I lived right down the street or even within 30 miles, it'd be worth it just to use the dining pass every week. But if I'm going for the rides, it seems kinda silly to plunk down over $400 for maybe 6-8 weeks between May-July where the lines are reasonable. The dining pass is very worthwhile. You could get by with just one for two people because they give out such big quantities. Even when there were hordes of people in the middle of last month, we never had a problem with food lines.

If the prices go lower in addition to adding the new Joker coaster that may or may not increase demand. Goliath I think just increased demand for Flash Passes tenfold. Joker might only get an X-Flight level of hype, which is to say hardly any. X-Flight ridership has been much higher in the Goliath era than when it first opened. What they're trying to do I think is maintain the extra interest the Goliath advertising blitz brought them. My guess is that they're hoping this Joker coaster sustains it until they can bring in another record-setter that generates massive interest.

When you ordered did you add Season Parking to your cart? You didn't need to b/c the deal was free upgrade to Gold, which comes with free parking. Don't see how you got $450 total with 2 passes, 2 Dining..should have been about $300 w/ tax and processing fee.

Wife bought em in March or February. Don't think there was much a deal then. Shopping pass too.

It's your call, obviously, but if you think you have any interest at all, it's a bad idea to wait to buy passes. They sometimes have deals that are close to as good, but they never match or top the flash sale...
anewman35

Postby batmanfan80 on September 1st, 2016, 9:53 pm
Last couple years the money we coulda spent on passes in Sept went to Busch Gardens, although we didn't plan it that way. Never able to find 2 other people to get the 4 person price. If we hit up FF on 9/24 or 9/25 and the lines are insane, I doubt we'll buy any passes at all. We could take that money and go to Cedar Point for 2-3 days instead of a few May and June visits along with 4th fest here. It used to be that any September day was good for our park and even some October. Then the Goliath hype machine radically increased demand for FF to the point where most any FF day was worse than the worst regular season day. Even if we had Kraken/Montu/Maverick/Manta all in our park, I'm not sure that would make me want to wait in 60+ min lines all day. Next year could be better or worse. Eventually the Goliath hype will wear off and they won't be able to keep generating more hype with new attractions.

The unlimited sports bottles and snacks being added to the dining pass was probably the most enticing thing they offered in a while. If the lines are horrible, at least I can count on that.
batmanfan80

Postby chrisisdragon on September 2nd, 2016, 12:16 am
I got a question when I get the 2017 season pass for the rest of this season to the end of 2017 and i add the dinning pass can we use the 2017 dining pass for the rest of the 2016 season or dose it activate for only 2017
chrisisdragon

Postby Goku1910 on September 2nd, 2016, 12:18 am
chrisisdragon wrote:I got a question when I get the 2017 season pass for the rest of this season to the end of 2017 and i add the dinning pass can we use the 2017 dining pass for the rest of the 2016 season or dose it activate for only 2017

The wrbsite says you're allowed to use it through 2016. So....yeso, you can.

I think this is the first year the dining pass is usable before the end of the current season. They have been giving the next year souvenir cups early the last few years.
Goku1910

Postby chrisisdragon on September 2nd, 2016, 12:27 am
Goku1910 wrote:
chrisisdragon wrote:I got a question when I get the 2017 season pass for the rest of this season to the end of 2017 and i add the dinning pass can we use the 2017 dining pass for the rest of the 2016 season or dose it activate for only 2017

The wrbsite says you're allowed to use it through 2016. So....yeso, you can.

I think this is the first year the dining pass is usable before the end of the current season. They have been giving the next year souvenir cups early the last few years.

Thank you!!! (: This year flash sale is way better then the past sales
chrisisdragon

Postby bbd on September 2nd, 2016, 8:49 am
anewman35 wrote:I'll never understand Six Flags pricing. Our passes are more than a lot of the smaller parks (and a little less than parks like Great Adventure and Magic Mountain), but most of those parks have dining passes that are $10 more than ours. Also there are a wide variety of different rules - for example, some parks you need to pick up by the beginning of October to get the free Gold upgrade, we have until November...

SF pricing in general is bizarre to me. They are taking the strategy of hoping you get add ons and spend money once you get in the park over making more on entrance. I would be fine paying more for a pass(like $125 , double the current $62 deal). If it increases revenue so more big coasters can be built. I'm pretty disappointed with the additions across the SF family of parks. Unbelievable not 1 big coaster.
Even with a higher price it would still be a great value with just a 3 or 4 visits. They make season passes so cheap, even not during the flash sale that i think they are "leaving money on the table." I bought my pass in the spring last yr and a season pass and gold dining was $182 with tax tax and processing. SF lost money or made little on me b/c I went to a several SF's parks, totaled 13 visits. Then with each visit I had 2 meals, snack, and unlimited drink refills. In comparison Cedar fair makes season passes $130 for regular and $180 for platinum(equal to SF gold(free parking,etc...). Season dining is $99 I believe preseason. Since you can get in for $48 on a day pass at CP they make it so 3 visits are needed to get your money back, SF it's 1 if you buy during flash or preseason. CP does add the benefit of getting in the park 1 hr early and they actually run most of their big rides. SF, well at least some, let season pass holders in 15 minutes early. So you get to the front of the line of your favorite ride to start the day, but rides still don't start till 1030.
bbd

Postby Bullsnike on September 4th, 2016, 4:45 pm
To illustrate just how good of a deal the flash sale can be........

My total savings (Had I bought everything individually every day this season without my dining pass or membership) just by using my pass has come to $1689.30. This number includes prices I would have paid for online discounted tickets for every trip, parking, all meals, drink refills, and about $30 comes from the shopping pass 20% discount and $5 flash pass discounts for the few times I got a flash pass.

This was even without utilizing the dining pass to it's fullest as usually I only had a meal and a snack, or 2 meals, but almost never 2 meals and a snack (maybe 3 times the whole season this far).

Total I paid for all of 2016 for my membership and gold dining pass - $147.79 (This does not include the 3-4 times I got a flash pass). Total I came out ahead - $1,541.51

This covers a total of 20 trips this season so far (4 to SFStl where my pass was issued and 16 to SFGam).
Bullsnike

Postby bbd on September 4th, 2016, 5:25 pm
Bullsnike wrote:To illustrate just how good of a deal the flash sale can be........

My total savings (Had I bought everything individually every day this season without my dining pass or membership) just by using my pass has come to $1689.30. This number includes prices I would have paid for online discounted tickets for every trip, parking, all meals, drink refills, and about $30 comes from the shopping pass 20% discount and $5 flash pass discounts for the few times I got a flash pass.

This was even without utilizing the dining pass to it's fullest as usually I only had a meal and a snack, or 2 meals, but almost never 2 meals and a snack (maybe 3 times the whole season this far).

Total I paid for all of 2016 for my membership and gold dining pass - $147.79 (This does not include the 3-4 times I got a flash pass). Total I came out ahead - $1,541.51

This covers a total of 20 trips this season so far (4 to SFStl where my pass was issued and 16 to SFGam).

That's why I think SF is leaving too much money on the table. You probably would have still bought the passes if they were $25 or $30 more per year considering the level of usage. The way things are priced you are ahead after 1 visit essentially, most other parks make it so it's 3 or 4 visits on their season passes.
bbd

Postby anewman35 on September 4th, 2016, 7:05 pm
Most of us would buy passes even if they more, but by the very fact that we're here it shows were super fans. They'd probably lose a fair number of marginal people who could take or leave the park. I don't think that would be horrible, it's overcrowded, but their strategy seems to be filling it as much as possible.
anewman35

Postby CoasterDemon on September 5th, 2016, 11:22 am
You know how when you pull up to a BIG Six Flags park, and the lot is full... and the beautiful skyline of coasters and rides beckons you... and you pause and wonder if the park is open, as not one ride is moving??? There. There is your cheap season pass. There is a reason it's cheap.

To contrast, pull up to Kennywood, Knoebels, Holiday World, Cedar Point, Knotts, KI/KD, etc. etc., and that skyline has coaster trains and rides flying everywhere, every minute.

Don't get me wrong, I *LOVE* my home park Great America, and also think it's the best park in the chain. But let's not play dumb when it comes to the price of a season pass.

The Cedar Fair Platinum Season Pass I purchased last week cost me nearly $200. But good service is built into that price. Food/drink lines are QUICK (and they don't run out of regular ass coke or ice when you get up there); ride lines move FAST, employees all agree on how late the park is open. It's very user-friendly.
CoasterDemon

Postby FParker185 on September 5th, 2016, 1:35 pm
There is no reason a Six Flags season pass should be under $300-$500, same goes for Cedar Fair. Most non chain parks that are 1/3 the size of even the smallest SF parks, that come with no perks other than admission though the gate are generally between $100-$170. Season Pass for Moreys Piers costs $500 and you can only pick one waterpark per visit...

Then there's Disney where a non FL resident season pass for WDW is $749 plus tax and it's not valid at any Disney Park outside of the state of FL or either of the waterparks
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby bbd on September 5th, 2016, 1:44 pm
FParker185 wrote:There is no reason a Six Flags season pass should be under $300-$500, same goes for Cedar Fair. Most non chain parks that are 1/3 the size of even the smallest SF parks, that come with no perks other than admission though the gate are generally between $100-$170. Season Pass for Moreys Piers costs $500 and you can only pick one waterpark per visit...

Then there's Disney where a non FL resident season pass for WDW is $829 plus tax and it's not valid at any Disney Park outside of the state of FL

$300 -$500 would require too many visits to get value for too many people. Season pass sales would crater. I think 3 to 4 visits to "get your money back" is about the right pricing. Cedar Fair is $189 for platinum. You can get tickets for $48 a day if you buy ahead online and parking is $15/day. That means 3 visits when you include parking comes right to $189, which the cost of the platinum pass. I think SF could get away with 2 times a discount day ticket including parking for the Gold Pass.
bbd

Postby FParker185 on September 5th, 2016, 1:54 pm
$500 would be 7 visits to come out ahead. Plus $500 is more than reasonable for 16 months of admission to 13+ different amusement parks and water parks

For value minded consumers, aka cheap asses and those who don't travel, they should offer a season pass valid at only the park of purchase in the $100-$150 range like many parks do.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby JaminOut on September 5th, 2016, 2:39 pm
^So the thrill pass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby bbd on September 5th, 2016, 3:45 pm
FParker185 wrote:$500 would be 7 visits to come out ahead. Plus $500 is more than reasonable for 16 months of admission to 13+ different amusement parks and water parks

For value minded consumers, aka cheap asses and those who don't travel, they should offer a season pass valid at only the park of purchase in the $100-$150 range like many parks do.

I am an enthusiast and I would be wary of paying $500 for SF pass and I actually go to other parks. SF line up is not good enough at any single park for $500. Even if you hit the 3 top parks MM. GAdv, etc.. it's not a value at $500, season passes sale be savaged. You would need to got at least 10 times b/c there is usually some way to gt a single day ticket for about $50 or so. The fact is most season passes are people who live near 1 park and go to 1 park. A large number are smaller kids, where mom also buys a pass and teenagers that go to the park with friends. It gives the parents something cheap and easy for the kids to do and not have to listen to them saying they are bored over the summer. For $62 they can send the kids to the park 1 or 2 times a week during the summer. SF markets to these type of pass holders and plan on them buying a season dining, etc,,, in my opinion, the strategy is get them to the park and try to get money on food, games, souvenirs.

For 2017 I bought SF Gold Pass with Premium Dining for $151 w/tax. The equivalent Cedar Fair Platinum with Dining was $323 w/tax. both came with free parking at all parks but, SF came with the all season sports bottle and CF didn't. Drink bottles are a hassle at CP b/c they don't have the drink holder stands in the stations. CF big benefit is 1 hr early entry to the parks and they actually run the bif rides like Valravn, etc...
bbd

Postby anewman35 on September 5th, 2016, 8:14 pm
If you miss(ed) the flash sale but still want free gold, Discover hsd a thing at www.discover.com/sixflags for free Gold upgrades if you use a Discover card. Hsd to be activated by end of October, though...
anewman35

Postby hoju74 on September 6th, 2016, 7:38 am
The flash sale is extended until tonight. I just bought our passes for 2017.
hoju74

Postby Jacklw6499 on September 6th, 2016, 10:07 am
Bought my passes yesterday! Pretty great price if you ask me! I feel like $64 plus tax and processing is one of the cheaper prices I have gotten in a while. Oh and it comes with parking and a gold upgrade as well!
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby Tardis1972 on September 6th, 2016, 4:21 pm
hoju74 wrote:The flash sale is extended until tonight. I just bought our passes for 2017.

I knew this was going happen. This happened last year also.
Quick question. My friend just bought a pass yesterday. Will he need to activate his pass once he gets it. I'm asking because I haven't had to activate any of my passes since 2012 which was when I started buying the season pass again. He had a pass in 2015 but nothing this year.
Tardis1972

Postby mike376col on September 6th, 2016, 9:23 pm
Tardis1972 wrote:
hoju74 wrote:The flash sale is extended until tonight. I just bought our passes for 2017.

I knew this was going happen. This happened last year also.
Quick question. My friend just bought a pass yesterday. Will he need to activate his pass once he gets it. I'm asking because I haven't had to activate any of my passes since 2012 which was when I started buying the season pass again. He had a pass in 2015 but nothing this year.

I purchased the same passes last year, and my wife and I just brought our print out from the purchase, the one with the bar code, to the entrance. They scan them there, take your finger print, and give you a card. I verified mine was active online later, but I didn't do anything special.
mike376col

Postby Tardis1972 on September 6th, 2016, 9:27 pm
^ That's all needed to know. Thanks. I'll let my friend know he can activate his pass online.
Tardis1972

Postby RaceBoarder on September 6th, 2016, 9:32 pm
Tardis1972 wrote:^ That's all needed to know. Thanks. I'll let my friend know he can activate his pass online.

You need to get to the park to activate your pass. If you don't go to the park before the end of the season, you lose the "Gold" upgrade. You then need to go to the park next season to activate the pass.
RaceBoarder

Postby Tardis1972 on September 6th, 2016, 9:49 pm
Yeah I know that. We going to get our passes when we go to Fright Fest for the first this year. I'm just trying to make sure he doesn't have to go to the Activation Center.
Even though the Flash Sale is over when you can still buy the pass and get the free gold upgrade.
Tardis1972

Postby anewman35 on September 6th, 2016, 10:32 pm
Tardis1972 wrote:Yeah I know that. We going to get our passes when we go to Fright Fest for the first this year. I'm just trying to make sure he doesn't have to go to the Activation Center.
Even though the Flash Sale is over when you can still buy the pass and get the free gold upgrade.

I don't think there's any way to know for sure. Yesterday I activated and they couldn't do it at the gate because the computers were down or something, so they made me go to the activation center.
anewman35

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum