Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Park's most expendable coaster

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 24th, 2016, 10:09 am
What do you all think is our park's most expendable coaster? In other words if you HAD to choose one coaster to take down to make room for something else, what could go in your opinion?

For me I think it's V2. Low capacity, seems to be down frequently, and honestly it's not really all that thrilling any more.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Viper 88 on August 24th, 2016, 10:27 am
I would probably agree with you, That being said either V2 or Superman.
Viper 88

Postby JaminOut on August 24th, 2016, 11:47 am
I'll answer for Rolling Coasting and myself.

Viper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby momlovescoasters on August 24th, 2016, 12:54 pm
My vote would be V2, Superman or Demon. I grew up with the Demon and it would be sad but at 42 I'm no longer able to ride it. WAY too rough, even knowing it's coming and trying to prepare my head. I wish the park would update it.
momlovescoasters

Postby maxwellt on August 24th, 2016, 1:01 pm
JaminOut wrote:I'll answer for Rolling Coasting and myself.

Viper.

Nah dude. I'd say V2. I like the ride, but its such a low capacity, and down frequently. I don't think six flags will get rid of it tho. I think six flags is gonna put TDK on the chopping list. And viper isn't going no where. SFMM got rid of their cyclone because it was unbearably rough (thanks dinn)

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on August 24th, 2016, 2:34 pm
Yeah, V2. Cloned, not reliable, low capacity, and extremely out-of-place.

Viper is still a very fun ride with loads of air and laterals. A bit rough, but still decent.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 24th, 2016, 2:39 pm
I could see Viper going soon also. It's just OK, and it seems to run much slower than it used to. And the line can be deceptively long. It's been here since 1995. I would rather see Viper going than Eagle for sure.

I seriously hope TDK never goes because it's just thrilling enough for us adults and definitely fun for kids. And there's always people riding it. I've seriously never been in line when TDK went down. Does that ride EVER go down?
Also, I would be interested to see rider counts between TDK and Demon (prior to VR).

CoasterRiderSC

Postby HuskieJohn on August 25th, 2016, 9:21 am
maxwellt wrote:

Viper.

Nah dude. I'd say V2. I like the ride, but its such a low capacity, and down frequently. I don't think six flags will get rid of it tho. I think six flags is gonna put TDK on the chopping list. And viper isn't going no where. SFMM got rid of their cyclone because it was unbearably rough (thanks dinn)

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

Why would they remove a family coaster (42") with a compact footprint with an indoor AC que which consistently has wait times of 30+min?

Viper is by far my favorite wood coaster.
HuskieJohn

Postby HuskieJohn on August 25th, 2016, 9:28 am
momlovescoasters wrote:My vote would be V2, Superman or Demon. I grew up with the Demon and it would be sad but at 42 I'm no longer able to ride it. WAY too rough, even knowing it's coming and trying to prepare my head. I wish the park would update it.

+1

It was my first real coaster (first overall being Little Dipper at Kiddie Land) that I rode when I was 5...and at 35 I still remember that first ride.

I too just cant ride it any more. On top of the head banging neck torque which always gives me a migraine, the restraints are made for people 5' 10" and under and at 6' 2". I have to slouch down to have the restraint come down enough so it actually restrains me.
HuskieJohn

Postby Coaster Justin on August 25th, 2016, 9:38 am
I'll skip V2 and do another coaster: Spacely Sprocket Rockets.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Muck Finnesota on August 25th, 2016, 10:17 am
I'd say Superman/V2. I don't know that any statistics the park keeps about lines/ridership would agree on Superman, though. Looks to have a consistent flow of riders.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby aaron60060 on August 25th, 2016, 11:54 am
I must echo the sentiments of others here:

1. Demon - This could be removed to make way for a really excellent launch coaster. Get inventive with the space, profit. Even though this ride is horribly rough, it's also kid friendly in terms of tall enough, so there is that.
2. Superman - I don't know many people who love this ride, so I'd shitcan this and make room for either a Maverick clone(dream on) or another Hyper Coaster. Plus, this area can be expanded into the parking lot, providing some much needed additional park space.
aaron60060

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 25th, 2016, 12:35 pm
I would vote for Demon going before Superman. Superman is such a unique ride and there is always a line! Plus it's like 23 years younger than the Demon (27 years younger than Turn of the Century). Demon is an antique Arrow looper. There's nothing special about Demon. The only value it has is that kids can ride it (like my 6yo !)

They could take down Demon and build a nice B&M looper like Kumba or better yet put a B&M dive coaster in its place.

Superman, like Batman, was a major innovation. Yes, I agree that it needs like 1-2 more elements, but it's still a great ride. If you look at Manta in Sea World, that's what our Superman could have been.

The way many feel about Superman I kind of feel about Goliath: besides the first drop and the airtime hill, that's about all the ride has to offer in my opinion. I could take or leave the 2 "inversions" !! (the pretzel loop blows away either of those "inversions" on Goliath) LOL

I actually believe Goliath has those just to market it as a "wooden" coaster with inversions. I'd much rather have a ride like El Toro with numerous airtime hills.

But I digress.... Goliath is a very good ride and I'm NOT arguing that it's expendable. But I would hope people can see the value and importance of Superman.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 25th, 2016, 12:45 pm
Why would they remove a family coaster (42") with a compact footprint with an indoor AC que which consistently has wait times of 30+min?

My point exactly! TDK is a fun ride and has wide appeal.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby JaminOut on August 25th, 2016, 12:50 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I would vote for Demon going before Superman. Superman is such a unique ride.

lol

I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby staticshadows on August 25th, 2016, 1:19 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 25th, 2016, 1:45 pm
I vote for the new launch coaster! A power splash looks interesting. Almost like an amphibious type of ride.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 25th, 2016, 1:50 pm
staticshadows wrote:As much as I hate Superman, I think V2 will be removed at the end of the 2017 season if they announce a launch coaster for 2018 where the markings are this year. I could see V2 and Yankee Clipper being replaced by a Mack Power Splash in 2019. It will be interesting to see what Fiesta Texas and Over Texas announce this year, since the Texas parks are now the test parks for new rides. Fiesta Texas seems to be hinting at a Mack Power Splash or some sort of dive coaster.

Why all the hatred for Superman?? Is it because it replaced Shock Wave?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby staticshadows on August 25th, 2016, 2:01 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby MrsTaxi on August 25th, 2016, 3:01 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
staticshadows wrote:As much as I hate Superman, I think V2 will be removed at the end of the 2017 season if they announce a launch coaster for 2018 where the markings are this year. I could see V2 and Yankee Clipper being replaced by a Mack Power Splash in 2019. It will be interesting to see what Fiesta Texas and Over Texas announce this year, since the Texas parks are now the test parks for new rides. Fiesta Texas seems to be hinting at a Mack Power Splash or some sort of dive coaster.

Why all the hatred for Superman?? Is it because it replaced Shock Wave?

YES.
MrsTaxi

Postby momlovescoasters on August 25th, 2016, 3:35 pm
I'm always shocked at the long line for Superman. It's the only roller coaster in the park that makes me feel sick after riding. The "flying" position does nothing for me......and I don't find it exciting! However, when I talk to some of my kids friends, many of them put Superman at the top of their list.
momlovescoasters

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 25th, 2016, 3:47 pm
momlovescoasters wrote:I'm always shocked at the long line for Superman. It's the only roller coaster in the park that makes me feel sick after riding. The "flying" position does nothing for me......and I don't find it exciting! However, when I talk to some of my kids friends, many of them put Superman at the top of their list.

That's because it IS a great ride :D I'd say that seemingly harmless pretzel exerts the most force on the body of any inversion at the park! Definitely way more than those "inversions" on Goliath......

CoasterRiderSC

Postby RollingCoasting on August 25th, 2016, 4:10 pm

Viper.

PLEASE BAN THIS GUY FROM THE FORUM!!!

Jk, lol.

But my vote is Demon. Rough and short. Why was it removed instead of Ragin Cajun (Yes I said that, I actually enjoyed Ragin Cajun)
RollingCoasting

Postby Jacklw6499 on August 25th, 2016, 9:39 pm
I want to say Superman, however yes I do agree with everyone else, V2 should be the next to go. What I hate about V2 is that the line can be very deceiving due to the fact that so many people stack for the actual gates in the station. As far as why I would rather see Superman go is because after the pretzel loop the ride is sluggish and boring however it has a far better capacity than V2.

On a second note, I don't ever want Whizzer to leave. With the recent closure of Orbit however, another Schwarzkopf attraction, I am a bit worried about how much time Whizzer has left. Will/has Great America manufactured any parts in house for Whizzer? If not, is it possible? I don't want it to leave :(
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on August 25th, 2016, 10:15 pm
If I'm not mistaken, they talk to Mack for new parts for Whizzer. Don't quote me on it tho.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum