Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

The end of the Orbit??

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 16th, 2016, 6:10 pm
JaminOut wrote:Crowds today were the worst! 3 hours for RB, X-Flight didn't open until 1, Superman had extended downtime, weather closed rides from 6:15 - 7:30, and the park was only open until 8:00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday we waited 75 minutes for that little dark ride everyone seems to hate!

BTW, is anyone going to CAD this Friday??
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby JaminOut on August 16th, 2016, 6:13 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
JaminOut wrote:Crowds today were the worst! 3 hours for RB, X-Flight didn't open until 1, Superman had extended downtime, weather closed rides from 6:15 - 7:30, and the park was only open until 8:00.

Yesterday we waited 75 minutes for that little dark ride everyone seems to hate!

Are you referring to The Dark Knight or Justice League? The Dark Knight can burn in hell, and Justice League is world class (in my opinion).
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby anewman35 on August 16th, 2016, 6:28 pm
I don't know what he was referring to, but I did wait 75 minutes for The Dark Knight yesterday, I have to assume Justice League was a lot longer (but I never made it over there).
anewman35

Postby RollingCoasting on August 17th, 2016, 12:48 am
I saw a rumor on the SFGAm Rumor Facebook in which someone heard Orbit will be getting the treatment ERC got in 2012. Just a rumor obviously, but I'd like if this happened. Maybe it would get all new cars as well.
RollingCoasting

Postby Foltzy on August 17th, 2016, 12:57 am
JaminOut wrote:7,000 seems like an insanely low number for Great America. Anyone know around what we get daily?

Something about that doesn't seem right.
I think I cedar points attendance for a year is about 3.8 mil. Six flags is most likely significantly lower than that, just guesstimating but probably like 2 mil.
Divide that number by the operating days and 7000 seems ridiculous for even the slowest of days.
It's a ridiculous prediction in summer
Foltzy

Postby anewman35 on August 17th, 2016, 6:40 am
RollingCoasting wrote:I saw a rumor on the SFGAm Rumor Facebook in which someone heard Orbit will be getting the treatment ERC got in 2012. Just a rumor obviously, but I'd like if this happened. Maybe it would get all new cars as well.

It doesn't matter if somebody heard a "rumor". The park confirmed to Marcus LeShock that it was gone for good. That carries significantly more weight than a Facebook rumor.
anewman35

Postby CoasterDemon on August 17th, 2016, 1:55 pm
anewman35 wrote:It doesn't matter if somebody heard a "rumor". The park confirmed to Marcus LeShock that it was gone for good. That carries significantly more weight than a Facebook rumor.

Similar to how the park said Whizzer would be done in 2002, I think they even put up a big sign in front of the ride saying so.

And an even bigger DEFINITE in the industry would be Revolution at Magic Mountain never ever EVAR running with out shoulder bars again... I was told that by many people in the industry (including a SFMM corporate engineer in 1995 and 1999), and MANY know-it-all's among us. And lookie, Revolution is running with lap bars. I don't know if my silly fan "Restore Revolution" facebook page did even a little bit, but it sure didn't hurt.

Point is, never say never.

Tell the parks what you want or wish for - in a polite way. It doesn't hurt. If you really like Orbit, send the park a letter or email saying you would like to see Orbit stay.
CoasterDemon

Postby RollingCoasting on August 17th, 2016, 2:45 pm
anewman35 wrote:
RollingCoasting wrote:I saw a rumor on the SFGAm Rumor Facebook in which someone heard Orbit will be getting the treatment ERC got in 2012. Just a rumor obviously, but I'd like if this happened. Maybe it would get all new cars as well.

It doesn't matter if somebody heard a "rumor". The park confirmed to Marcus LeShock that it was gone for good. That carries significantly more weight than a Facebook rumor.

RollingCoasting wrote:Just a rumor obviously,
RollingCoasting

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 17th, 2016, 2:56 pm
JaminOut wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:

Are you referring to The Dark Knight or Justice League? The Dark Knight can burn in hell, and Justice League is world class (in my opinion).

I was referring to TDK! I don't understand the hatred towards this fun ride that many people really seem to enjoy! I"m glad that kept it and not RC. But if they were to get rid of TDK for Runaway MTN (SFOT), then I'd be all for that. Justice League is good but you only need one ride on it. I do have to admit that I was a bit disappointed when they announced JL but I realized it would be great for families, kids, etc and would probably increase attendance, so that's a good thing.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby anewman35 on August 17th, 2016, 3:11 pm
I just hate the thing where somebody posts a totally unsubstantiated rumor to a FB group, and then somebody posts it here, and then somebody sends it to Screamscape and he posts it and then people are back here posting this new rumor they saw on Screamscape and the whole thing started from nowhere. It makes it impossible to ever have any idea what's going on (like, is the original source on the 4D coaster real at all, or did it just go through the above process?). Not mad at anybody, this is all just for fun, I just wish people took the whole rumor thing a little more seriously.
anewman35

Postby X-Flight2012 on August 21st, 2016, 9:17 pm
I don't know if anyone else noticed but on Six Flags' website Jester and East River Crawler are listed as "Closed For The Season" but the Orbit page is still there and does not mention anything about the ride being closed.
X-Flight2012

Postby Coaster Justin on August 22nd, 2016, 6:06 am
CoasterDemon wrote:...And an even bigger DEFINITE in the industry would be Revolution at Magic Mountain never ever EVAR running with out shoulder bars again... I was told that by many people in the industry (including a SFMM corporate engineer in 1995 and 1999), and MANY know-it-all's among us. And lookie, Revolution is running with lap bars. I don't know if my silly fan "Restore Revolution" facebook page did even a little bit, but it sure didn't hurt...

I have a minor conspiracy theory about it. I believe that Full Throttle was built to prove that Lap Bars on Looping Coasters at SFMM would be safe. I also believe that they were planning on Revolution with Lap Bars back in 2011-2012.

Remember how Full Throttle was advertised as having a giant loop and lapbars. Also when Six Flags Magic Mountain updated their Coaster Wall in 2013, They left off Revolution (and Gold Rusher) and listed Superman (Which opened in 1996-1997) in 2011 and X (Which opened in 2001-2002) in 2008. Both were listed by the year they were re-themed.

Or I just have too much time on my hands.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby RollingCoasting on September 14th, 2016, 4:54 pm
So we know why it closed, where it's going, but there's still one thing that has yet to be explained. Why in dear Heavens would they choose the last day of RTS to close it?
RollingCoasting

Postby RollingCoasting on December 3rd, 2016, 5:56 pm
Does anyone know of the whereabouts of Orbit's cars?

Jon? :wink:
RollingCoasting

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on December 3rd, 2016, 6:01 pm
When I e-mailed them (I know, super nerdy), they said that they would be sitting on property until spring. After that, they didn't know yet. My guess would be that they sit there until they have enough stuff to get hauled away for scrap, that is unless another park buys Orbit. One can hope, right? :D
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby FParker185 on December 3rd, 2016, 9:29 pm
I'm going to guess most of the ride, at least whatever is in decent shape will be sent to SFStL for use on their Schwarzkopf Enterprise. Not sure if any other SF parks have em, I know Fun Spot Orlando has one too that they bought off of Six Flags and from riding it a few weeks ago, it's safe to say it's likely in need of some parts too.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby CoasterCale on January 13th, 2017, 9:30 am
The cars were on site as of closing day.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby RollerCoasterFavRide on January 24th, 2017, 2:18 pm
I believe there is a similar ride to the Orbit at Cedar Point. I'm actually kind of sad we didn't ride it when my kid wanted to when we were there end of August. I think I'm just getting older, but the spinning rides are just not working with me any more. I can ride coasters all day, but those spinning ones really get my head spinning.
RollerCoasterFavRide

Postby RollingCoasting on January 24th, 2017, 2:38 pm
^ That would be witches wheel. Both are enterprises
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on January 24th, 2017, 3:50 pm
...however, ours was a Schawrzkopf Enterprise, Witch's Wheel is a HUSS.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollerCoasterFavRide on January 25th, 2017, 12:14 pm
I didn't realize that they were different manufacturers, but based on the age difference I should have known. Now, I'm going to have to suck it up next time we go to Cedar Point and ride it to see the difference in rides.
RollerCoasterFavRide

Postby RollingCoasting on February 6th, 2017, 12:26 am
Made this: http://www.captiongenerator.com/346282/ ... it-is-gone :lol:

Disclaimer:
The video is meant for comical purposes, don't take (Most) of it seriously.
RollingCoasting

Postby Tardis1972 on February 6th, 2017, 12:55 am
RollerCoasterFavRide wrote:I didn't realize that they were different manufacturers, but based on the age difference I should have known. Now, I'm going to have to suck it up next time we go to Cedar Point and ride it to see the difference in rides.

I've ridden both and Orbit is easiky the better of the two. The Huss version(or at least the one at CP) has seat belts from what I can remember and a sliding bar on the door like Condor.
Last edited by Tardis1972 on February 6th, 2017, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tardis1972

Postby FParker185 on February 6th, 2017, 1:06 am
Huss Enterprise should have neither. Though I'm sold on CF putting seatbelts on, automatic doors would be a huge expense, you're probably thinking of the Schwarzkopf version, which is the only one to ever have automatic doors
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Tardis1972 on February 6th, 2017, 9:38 am
I may have worded that a little wrong so I decided to edit my post.
Tardis1972

Previous

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum