Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

VR Comes To the Demon 8/13

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on August 14th, 2016, 8:24 pm
Just did it, and thought it was pretty neat. It was a bit blurry, it was rendered on a potato, and operations were meh, but the actual VR was good. It also somehow made the ride smoother, which amazed me.

Also, the stupid employee took all 3 of my exit passes to ride it. Terrible.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollingCoasting on August 14th, 2016, 8:28 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Also, the stupid employee took all 3 of my exit passes to ride it. Terrible.

Why didn't you ask for them back? :lol:

On the other hand, Kong @ SFDK is apparently getting new restraints and some track work done with the VR. Why can't we have this? :(
RollingCoasting

Postby Jacklw6499 on August 14th, 2016, 8:45 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Also, the stupid employee took all 3 of my exit passes to ride it. Terrible.

Why didn't you ask for them back? :lol:

On the other hand, Kong @ SFDK is apparently getting new restraints and some track work done with the VR. Why can't we have this? :(

Because we aren't a Vekoma SLC... :lol: All jokes aside, I think new restraints/trains could happen but probably not retracking. I would absolutely love the old effects to come back like the lights, smoke in the first tunnel and the waterfall but why would you need that stuff back when the majority of the riders are wearing VR headsets? Anyways, how long does everyone think this VR thing will stick? Is it going to be a season long thing or is this permanent in some way?
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby anewman35 on August 14th, 2016, 9:14 pm
I suspect it's going to all depend on what kind of deals Six Flags and Samsung make. But the fact that they're expanding it to new parks this late in the season seems to imply both sides are happy so far, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's continued next year, probably with phones updated to next year's model.
anewman35

Postby maxwellt on August 14th, 2016, 10:23 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if they did this for the next few years! Its a cool experience, and every year they could change up the VR. Maybe a new ghost chaser experience (idk lol) but it wouldn't surprise me if we saw it for a few years, because other than the VR sets always dying, and slow dispatches, everyone seems to enjoy the ride! Yay to six flags

And with it sticking around for years...maybe better operations?

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby DeathbyDinn on August 15th, 2016, 12:39 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Just did it, and thought it was pretty neat. It was a bit blurry, it was rendered on a potato, and operations were meh, but the actual VR was good. It also somehow made the ride smoother, which amazed me.

Did you focus it? Mine was a bit blurry at first, but once I had it focused properly I was surprised at how clear it was.
DeathbyDinn

Postby maxwellt on August 15th, 2016, 4:40 pm
I have to add something. RotG is kinda like a new coaster (at least a new experience) so can that count towards following that every other year of coaster pattern still? TDK 08 LD 10 XF 12 Goliath 14 and RotG 16

maxwellt

Postby stergmi on August 15th, 2016, 5:08 pm
maxwellt wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they did this for the next few years! Its a cool experience, and every year they could change up the VR. Maybe a new ghost chaser experience (idk lol) but it wouldn't surprise me if we saw it for a few years, because other than the VR sets always dying, and slow dispatches, everyone seems to enjoy the ride! Yay to six flags

And with it sticking around for years...maybe better operations?

I can see VR being a "special attraction" of sorts like Namtab and Backwards Eagle.
stergmi

Postby RollingCoasting on August 15th, 2016, 5:22 pm
No way does this count as a new coaster. VR Headseats and RMC's don't have nearly the same pricetag.
RollingCoasting

Postby JaminOut on August 15th, 2016, 5:58 pm
Especially when we are talking about Samsung.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby Tardis1972 on August 15th, 2016, 11:20 pm
How bad did the line get today? I was there but never bothered to ride it.
Tardis1972

Postby JaminOut on August 16th, 2016, 12:45 pm
The line was 60 minutes the majority of the day, but hopped up to 100 around 4ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby CoasterDemon on August 16th, 2016, 1:39 pm
I was thinking they are going to try out this VR, then make it a $$ upgrade at some point.

Rode Demon VR the other night, loved it! I was one of the ones who balked when they announced this for Revolution (heck, Revo lost it's shoulder bars, so whatever it took!!! hallelujah!!), so was pleasantly surprised I enjoyed it on Demon so much.

They were running 3 trains; Black was VR, Red had the VR stickers (and apparently had been using VR previously) but was running as regular Demon, and Yellow was regular Demon. I couldn't figure out why they were still running 3 trains seeing that red and yellow have to wait (up to and over 10 minutes in some cases) on the brake run until the black VR train gets everything right. People were throwing fits back there! I heard a few people yelling "get us off this ride!" as well as pounding the echo-y fiberglass car frames. One lady off with her little girl and demanded a supervisor.

It's too bad the park couldn't try out what Cedar Point did on VR Iron Dragon and have a reservation system. With the 10 ride ops/supervisors they had up on the Demon platform, you'd think they would want to try and get everyone's temper and annoyance down a bit. Great America (in my opinion and experience) outshines every other Six Flags park, but they still *really* drop the ball sometimes.
CoasterDemon

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 17th, 2016, 3:01 pm
Am I the only one that doesn't see the "point" to the whole VR thing? I want to enjoy the ride as it was designed. I just hope the VR "trend" ends because they took a ride that was almost always a walk-on (Unless someone got sick on it) and made it a 60-75 minute wait! We already have a "ride" with VR where you get to blast things like a video game (JL) !!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby RollingCoasting on August 17th, 2016, 3:04 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't see the "point" to the whole VR thing? I want to enjoy the ride as it was designed. I just hope the VR "trend" ends because they took a ride that was almost always a walk-on (Unless someone got sick on it) and made it a 60-75 minute wait! We already have a "ride" with VR where you get to blast things like a video game (JL) !!

Since it's on Demon, I personally don't care if it stays or not. If it had been on any coaster/ride, I'd want it to end immediately.
RollingCoasting

Postby anewman35 on August 17th, 2016, 3:06 pm
The thing is, I think the park thinks its a GOOD thing that a walk-on ride now has an hour line. A ride with no line is a ride people aren't lining up to go on, and that means they aren't coming to the park to go on it. If people are in line, even if it's just a gimmick, I think it's a success from their standpoint.
anewman35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 17th, 2016, 3:07 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't see the "point" to the whole VR thing? I want to enjoy the ride as it was designed. I just hope the VR "trend" ends because they took a ride that was almost always a walk-on (Unless someone got sick on it) and made it a 60-75 minute wait! We already have a "ride" with VR where you get to blast things like a video game (JL) !!

Since it's on Demon, I personally don't care if it stays or not. If it had been on any coaster/ride, I'd want it to end immediately.

NICE!! I wonder if they're doing it on old rides to revive interest in the ride itself? They did it on Shockwave in SFOT which is an old Schwarzkopf double looper.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 17th, 2016, 3:08 pm
anewman35 wrote:The thing is, I think the park thinks its a GOOD thing that a walk-on ride now has an hour line. A ride with no line is a ride people aren't lining up to go on, and that means they aren't coming to the park to go on it. If people are in line, even if it's just a gimmick, I think it's a success from their standpoint.

You're probably 100% right about this! And they can even sell merchandise with the "new" ride name.....

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterDemon on August 17th, 2016, 4:43 pm
I know I'm in a minority with this opinion... but I would like to see VR on X-Flight and Raging Bull. I'm not a huge fan of those rides (I do enjoy Bull from time to time), but I think VR on those might be fun, as I do enjoy it on Demon. I also *LOVE* Demon, so I would hate to see the line all clogged up for too long. I like getting my mini-marathons on Demon.

Does anyone know if the park considered or would consider a reservation system like Cedar Point used on VR Iron Dragon? It wouldn't seem to be rocket science; people are really pissed off waiting on that brake run (in the non VR train(s)).
CoasterDemon

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 18th, 2016, 12:28 pm
CoasterDemon wrote:I know I'm in a minority with this opinion... but I would like to see VR on X-Flight and Raging Bull. I'm not a huge fan of those rides (I do enjoy Bull from time to time), but I think VR on those might be fun, as I do enjoy it on Demon. I also *LOVE* Demon, so I would hate to see the line all clogged up for too long. I like getting my mini-marathons on Demon.

Does anyone know if the park considered or would consider a reservation system like Cedar Point used on VR Iron Dragon? It wouldn't seem to be rocket science; people are really pissed off waiting on that brake run (in the non VR train(s)).

They should not touch X Flight or Raging Bull at all! Those rides are perfect they way they are. The only thing they could do to X Flight is to bring the water "cannons" back and the fog. I rode it after that stuff was gone.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Jacklw6499 on August 18th, 2016, 6:10 pm
^X-Flight yes but Bull has such a bad rattle this year especially towards the back. It's such a mediocre ride because it's so trimmed. The only parts I enjoy on Bull are the first drop, airtime hill coming out of the midcourse and the helix towards the end. The rest of the ride is just so eh nowadays
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby Mean Streaker on August 30th, 2016, 1:20 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
CoasterDemon wrote:I know I'm in a minority with this opinion... but I would like to see VR on X-Flight and Raging Bull. I'm not a huge fan of those rides (I do enjoy Bull from time to time), but I think VR on those might be fun, as I do enjoy it on Demon. I also *LOVE* Demon, so I would hate to see the line all clogged up for too long. I like getting my mini-marathons on Demon.

They should not touch X Flight or Raging Bull at all! Those rides are perfect they way they are. The only thing they could do to X Flight is to bring the water "cannons" back and the fog. I rode it after that stuff was gone.

When I rode X-Flight for the season pass preview it was amazing. Water jets, fog, and theme music playing through the whole queue. But a month later no fog and no music. A year later and nothing.

I'd love SFGAm to keep it's ride effects in working order. It'd be really great if they fixed Demon's special effects.
Mean Streaker

Postby batmanfan80 on September 1st, 2016, 7:59 am
Demon is never a walk up unless it's a day when there are barely any lines at all. For the last couple years I've seen the whole queue filled to the brim just about any day I went after the 2nd week of July. The only rides that usually have reasonable or walk up lines throughout the whole season are the flats with the exception of Richochet. Demon's line is usually less than the other coasters, but not by much. In June it might be a walk up while RB/Batman/Pretzelman/XF are 20 min. During most FF days a lot of the other coasters are 2-3 hours, it'll be 90.
batmanfan80

Postby CoasterCale on September 19th, 2016, 2:41 pm
I attended the Media Event. It was rather enjoyable. Lines were non-existent. Of the four rides I got on it, one worked completely and properly,two had text in front of me but the game worked fine, and the last one was just black screen the whole time.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby SFGAM_Hog on October 10th, 2016, 8:55 pm
I was very disappointed with the VR. The image was stuck inside the station the whole time. I thought people mentioned that they got to get a re ride if their goggles weren't working, but when I told the attendants after the ride, they just thanked me for telling them.
SFGAM_Hog

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum