Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Eagle ride quality 2016

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby batmanfan80 on July 20th, 2016, 7:31 am
Hi all, I rode Eagle red a couple weeks ago and the helix has gotten so rough and violent that it's really close to being as bad as Mean Streak was 4 years ago. Parts after the helix were worse than I remember, but there were definitely parts of the ride that are still awesome. Did anyone else experience this? How's the blue side? My last time on it was trimmed to death. Before all the trimming, it was much more violent than the red. Seems like the ride needs some serious work.
batmanfan80

Postby maxwellt on July 20th, 2016, 10:22 am
It needs GCI retracking and newer trims that are more consistent. One ride it'll be trimmed to death and another the trim won't even work...

Keep in mind that I love american eagle. Its one of my favorites in the park, and about a year ago coaster studios rated it as the 3rd best coaster in the park (possibly will change because he recently visited the park)
maxwellt

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 20th, 2016, 11:57 am
It's a great classic with a few nice pops of airtime. But even just a retrack would do the ride wonders. The helix of Death at the end is terrible, probably the worst part of the ride. If they retracked it, gave it modern trains, repainted it, and reprofiled the hills, it would be one of the best rides in the park.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby maxwellt on July 20th, 2016, 12:04 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:It's a great classic with a few nice pops of airtime. But even just a retrack would do the ride wonders. The helix of Death at the end is terrible, probably the worst part of the ride. If they retracked it, gave it modern trains, repainted it, and reprofiled the hills, it would be one of the best rides in the park.

I couldn't agree with you any more! Millennium flyer trains?
maxwellt

Postby JaminOut on July 20th, 2016, 12:27 pm
^Absolutely not. I am against putting flyers on because I feel it removes part of the experience. I think they should put on the new PTC trains w/ 2 rows per car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 20th, 2016, 1:15 pm
No, not Millennium Flyers. I like the 3-row PTCs b/c the last row gets 'whipped' a bit more, giving it more forces and airtime. Modern PTCs, like the ones Thunderhawk at Dorney are getting, would be perfect. Same with Viper. The current trains are pretty nice, but a retrack would do wonders to it. Just a retrack though, the layout is great as is.

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby staticshadows on July 20th, 2016, 1:24 pm
I am not sure a full rehab would bring in enough foot traffic to justify the cost. Maybe a little paint and minor track work over the next few years. I would prefer if they remove it completely in 4-5 years and replace the eastern portion with a new GCI woodie. Then, remove Demon a couple of years later and use the combined space for a 300-310 ft B&M Giga or maybe a Mack or RMC Giga by that time. See the below image complete with zoning restrictions.
staticshadows

Postby maxwellt on July 20th, 2016, 1:44 pm
I agree I don't want to see millennium flyer trains. I feel that the classic feel of the eagle will go away. PTC trains will do on this ride

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby maxwellt on July 20th, 2016, 1:46 pm
staticshadows wrote:I am not sure a full rehab would bring in enough foot traffic to justify the cost. Maybe a little paint and minor track work over the next few years. I would prefer if they remove it completely in 4-5 years and replace the eastern portion with a new GCI woodie. Then, remove Demon a couple of years later and use the combined space for a 300-310 ft B&M Giga or maybe a Mack or RMC Giga by that time. See the below image complete with zoning restrictions.

I like your thinking, but I feel that gigas at six flags won't happen for a while. Every park only has a 20 million dollar budget. And there was a public outcry when the whizzer was trying to be removed, so removing the demon and the eagle will have an outcry.
maxwellt

Postby RollingCoasting on July 20th, 2016, 2:17 pm
American Eagle is fine as is. It's a 35 year old wooden coaster, what do you expect? A butter-smooth ride? Granted, it's not the smoothest ride in the park, but it's still not bad.

Unless it gets violently rough, nothing "needs" to be done. They could still do a re-track, or even new trains if they wanted to, but it's not necessary right now.
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 20th, 2016, 2:53 pm
The only terribly rough part is the final helix, maybe the last half of the giant helix. Otherwise, it's a pretty decent ride.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 20th, 2016, 3:41 pm
Does anyone know why they stopped painting Eagle? Were they just planning on painting around the station?
SFGAM_Hog

Postby maxwellt on July 20th, 2016, 3:46 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Does anyone know why they stopped painting Eagle? Were they just planning on painting around the station?

I think its hard to paint woodies and repaints happen like every 10 years or so

Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:The only terribly rough part is the final helix, maybe the last half of the giant helix. Otherwise, it's a pretty decent ride.

I definitely have to agree. Retracking that part plus maybe a couple other spots would make the ride [OK HAND SIGN]

maxwellt

Postby JaminOut on July 20th, 2016, 5:38 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Does anyone know why they stopped painting Eagle? Were they just planning on painting around the station?

They were repainting during the slower part of the season when they could justify closing the attraction without major issues.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby batmanfan80 on July 21st, 2016, 8:40 am
It is violently rough in the helix that makes up the middle of the ride. It gets worse and worse until you get back on the hills. I've heard the ride was really rough even back in 1988. In 4 years, I've never noticed different levels of trimming on the red side. It's been very consistent, just getting progressively rougher in spots, mainly in the middle of the ride in the helix.

So has anyone ridden blue multiple times this year?
batmanfan80

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on July 21st, 2016, 8:26 pm
I think American Eagle is fine. The final helix is rough and sometimes the end of the giant helix is rough, so I would say those are up next for the common retrack. After those are retracked, something else will be rough. It's just a never ending cycle. I think it was Hank that said you're never done building a wooden coaster.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby X-Flight2012 on July 21st, 2016, 10:24 pm
I went in the back of the red car three times today, and it has decreased in quality. The helix is almost jackhammering as it goes around, and the final turn is very bad. The ride gave me a headache in the back on the blue side which was worse when I rode in May.
X-Flight2012

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 21st, 2016, 10:33 pm
I rode 3rd row on Blue today, and seems to be the same as it's always been. Final helix still rough as balls, big one still bearable, but still kinda rough.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 22nd, 2016, 5:01 am
What did Coaster Studios (Taylor) think of it when he went?
SFGAM_Hog

Postby maxwellt on July 22nd, 2016, 6:57 am
SFGAM_Hog wrote:What did Coaster Studios (Taylor) think of it when he went?

Idk. He had A LOT of fans. And apparently they all occupied one train. That's all I know. And from the description from his vlog, he seemed to like sfgam

maxwellt

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 22nd, 2016, 9:47 am
Idk. He had A LOT of fans. And apparently they all occupied one train. That's all I know. And from the description from his vlog, he seemed to like sfgam

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk[/quote]
Well, he's a good youtuber, but I didn't like that he talked about the people in the group rather than stating his opinion about the park.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby maxwellt on July 22nd, 2016, 9:55 am
[/quote]Well, he's a good youtuber, but I didn't like that he talked about the people in the group rather than stating his opinion about the park.[/quote]

Yeah agreed. He will come out with a park review though

maxwellt

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 22nd, 2016, 12:09 pm
I was there with him on Eagle. He said it wasn't bad, but he likes Rebel Yell better.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollingCoasting on July 22nd, 2016, 1:19 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:I was there with him on Eagle. He said it wasn't bad, but he likes Rebel Yell better.

Are you in his video?
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 22nd, 2016, 1:53 pm
I am, but I won't say WHO I am. I'll just say that I have a black shirt on. ;)

Guy_With_A_Stick

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum