Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Six flags great america Fright fest 2016

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby RollingCoasting on November 5th, 2016, 11:33 pm
Are most of the Fright Fest decorations gone?
RollingCoasting

Postby MrsTaxi on November 6th, 2016, 1:25 am
RollingCoasting wrote:Are most of the Fright Fest decorations gone?

Yes...basically all of them.
MrsTaxi

Postby gottastrata33 on November 6th, 2016, 3:08 am
Lots of people were using Flash pass today, so yes it was open. I was pretty impressed that all the fright fest decorations were gone today. It really just felt like a normal September day butttt in November. Haha Overall it was packed but I had a great day. I got in the park at 12:10 & was able to have lunch & dinner on my pass (I usually only find time for one or the other) & a snack before close along with time for Batman, Giant Drop, Raging Bull, AE, Goliath & back to back end of the night rides on XFlight. I had a nice close to the 2016 season & look forward to the Joker being added to our park. Que the coaster withdrawal.
gottastrata33

Postby anewman35 on November 6th, 2016, 8:00 am
It was fairly crowded yesterday, but like normal crowded, not FF crowded. We got there about 2 and the back lot was about half full.

The only FF things I saw were that Chubasco and Rue Le Dodge still had the windows blocked, a few of the haunted houses still had their walls up, and there were still a bunch of leftover "this ride uses strobe lights" signs scattered around. Also, the reflecting pool was empty.

Shout out to the County Fair Johnny Rockets, the line moved there I think quicker than any food line all year - almost like a slow regular restaurant (instead of the normal half hour plus for food). I didn't get any food for years before getting the dining pass this year, but the service is just ridiculous.
anewman35

Postby Coaster Justin on November 6th, 2016, 8:49 am
When is the end of the season meetup today?
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby RollingCoasting on November 6th, 2016, 7:22 pm
Had to leave sorry. Maybe at Six Flags America next month if anyone else is there
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on November 6th, 2016, 9:53 pm
I guess this has become the 'End of the Season Reports' topic, so here I go.

First things first, holy crap it was crowded. Not as bad as Fright Fest, but if it was in June or July, it'd be considered packed.

Second, seriously surprised at how much of Fright Fest they took down. I think they still had a few lights left, and maybe 2 props. Super impressed with Six Flags.

Third, the food service was ATROCIOUS. Half of the places were closed, the other half had almost nothing left, and had 30 minute lines(I went to the Turkey Leg place by X-Flight to get my cup refilled. 4/6 drinks on the fountain were gone, 2 of which were replaced by some other drink). I circled the entire park to find a place with a relatively short line to get my snack on the Dining Pass. Ended up getting the last Cotton Candy tub at Yankee Market.

Fourth, ride lines were quite long all day. I rode Batman(which was super smooth), Viper(amazing as always), and Goliath twice(including the Last Train of the Season in the last row! :D ). I also went on Giant Drop, which had an average line(seriously, they need to remove at least one of the switchbacks, they're useless now!). Not the best, but certainly not the worst I've done.

That's pretty much it. Pretty nice season. Started with the First train of 2016 on Goliath, ran my first 5K "through" the park(really just ran the perimeter of the parking lot, Hurricane Harbor, a bit of backstage, Southwest Territory, and back out HH to the finish line) and won a pretty neat trophy(albeit it was a participation one :lol: ), got 5 new creds, including an amazing Gerstlauer Infinity, visited my now-top choice for college(Iowa State), met a semi-famous YouTuber(Taylor from Coaster Studios), finally saw Love at First Fright, did all of the Fright Fest Houses, witnessed the Cubs win the World Series, and finished off with the last train of the season on Goliath. I also found new love for X-Flight, Giant Drop, and Rue le Dodge, whilst Raging Bull slowly cedes away from the top 5(might finally leave depending on my opinion of Joker). Excited for next year, as I'm going to be working there next year! Might also be doing an Ohio trip next year, depending if RM(ean)C Streak is 2017 or 2018.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollingCoasting on November 6th, 2016, 10:03 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote: Raging Bull slowly cedes away from the top 5(might finally leave depending on my opinion of Joker

Cam, you know I don't support Hillary Clinton, but

RollingCoasting

Postby Jodon on November 6th, 2016, 10:07 pm
When did the demon funnel cake stand get switch backs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jodon

Postby RollingCoasting on November 6th, 2016, 10:16 pm
If they're temporary, then they're probably just pulled out when the park is expecting massive crowds
RollingCoasting

Postby Jodon on November 6th, 2016, 10:19 pm
They weren't temporary. Didn't get a picture, but they were the aluminum pipe switchbacks. Looked pretty new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jodon

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on November 6th, 2016, 10:25 pm
^^^Toward the end of the regular season, many food places got switchbacks. Most restaurants in the Food Court, most, if not all Coke Stands, and many other places around the park. Much better than the rope/belt fencing the park had in the past. Quite confusing why they decided to add them now, though.

And RC, they're definitely not temporary. Yes, they wobble, and yes, they're not connected completely, but they're all secured to the ground with concrete.

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollingCoasting on November 6th, 2016, 10:26 pm
I didn't know if they were or not, I haven't walked past Sky Trail in atleast a month for whatever reason so I forgot :p
RollingCoasting

Postby Tardis1972 on November 6th, 2016, 11:09 pm
Final operation day TR
I got to the park at opening and stayed until closing which was moved from 6 to 7. The extra hour really helped that's for sure.
It was very busy today but I was able to ride a good number of rides.
Ride Totals (in order that I rode).
V2
Goliath
Raging Bull
Giant Drop
Chubasco
Viper
Batman
Revolution
Superman
Dark Knight
King Chaos
Raging Bull
Whizzer
Columbia Carousel (my final ride of the year and I'm proud of it)
I skipped JL, Demon, X-Flight (lines were too long for each) and Eagle (only Red side was open not sure why though)
Overall it was a great year and I'm looking forward for opening day next year.
Tardis1972

Postby Wisco Woody on November 7th, 2016, 10:03 am
Sunday 11/7, absolutely packed and had to leave early, but the ride ops did a great job. Food lines and service were horrible, but thank God for Strutters and their speed.

Batman x2
V2
Goliath x2 via SRL
AE Red x2
Revolution
X-Flight
Raging Trimbrake, trims hard as ever
Viper
Superman x2 via SRL
Batman

The crowds were inevitable with the weather, but it didn't stop me from riding all I wanted to and leaving at 5, which might mean I missed final train on Goliath or Batman but I am happy with the ride experience. AE Red was an absolute standout in the front car, as it provided EJECTOR air on 2 of the hills plus great floater.
Wisco Woody

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 7th, 2016, 12:11 pm
Wisco Woody wrote:Sunday 11/7, absolutely packed and had to leave early, but the ride ops did a great job. Food lines and service were horrible, but thank God for Strutters and their speed.

Batman x2
V2
Goliath x2 via SRL
AE Red x2
Revolution
X-Flight
Raging Trimbrake, trims hard as ever
Viper
Superman x2 via SRL
Batman

The crowds were inevitable with the weather, but it didn't stop me from riding all I wanted to and leaving at 5, which might mean I missed final train on Goliath or Batman but I am happy with the ride experience. AE Red was an absolute standout in the front car, as it provided EJECTOR air on 2 of the hills plus great floater.

We rode Eagle Red in front row and I concur with the ejector airtime! How can the FRONT of the ride provide such great airtime? I always thought back was better for that? We only did the front because my 6yo likes the front on that one and Viper.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 7th, 2016, 12:17 pm
My end of year Trip Report for 11/6. I took my 6yo daughter. We were there 10:30 - 7 pm
- Perfect weather! Couldn't ask for a nicer day!

Eagle Red - 2 (front row) including 1 after dark
Viper - 2 (front row) including 1 after dark
Dark Knight (was a little disappointed because sound effects weren't totally working)
Whizzer - 2 (last ride of night and season! This ride is awesome after dark)
Justice League - 1
River Rocker - 2
Ricochet - 2
Chubasco - 1
Zoom Jets - 1
Rue Le Dodge - 1 (first time in a very long time I've done this one)

Overall we did 15 rides in about 7 1/2 hours when I subtract lunch time, browsing/souvenir shopping time.
So 2 rides/hour on a very crowded day is pretty good! I can't wait for next year!!

The bonus hour was very much appreciated because we got night rides on Eagle Red / Viper / Whizzer.

We were at Viper around 6:30. Was anyone else there around that time?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Tardis1972 on November 7th, 2016, 12:34 pm
Does anybody know why the blue side wasn't open yesterday.
Tardis1972

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 7th, 2016, 12:44 pm
^ I asked if it was going to open and the Red operator didn't know. Probably mgmt figured they wouldn't need it to run.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Wisco Woody on November 7th, 2016, 12:58 pm
In general, on a straight out and back traditional wooden coaster like AE, or even a cyclone like Viper, you will get more total air and stronger cresting airtime in the front because the front car is cresting the airtime hills faster than the back car will at the initial inflection point on the upward slope.

The 2 extra airtime hills on AE Red that aren't on blue can provide the front car ejector air when the train is allowed to run full speed with minimal braking like yesterday. The 2nd of the opening small airtime hills obviously provides ejector air to the front and strong floater air to the back on both sides, but those 2 extra hills with strong airtime potential on return are what make Red side objectively better than Blue side.
Wisco Woody

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 7th, 2016, 1:14 pm
Wisco Woody wrote:In general, on a straight out and back traditional wooden coaster like AE, or even a cyclone like Viper, you will get more total air and stronger cresting airtime in the front because the front car is cresting the airtime hills faster than the back car will at the initial inflection point on the upward slope.

The 2 extra airtime hills on AE Red that aren't on blue can provide the front car ejector air when the train is allowed to run full speed with minimal braking like yesterday. The 2nd of the opening small airtime hills obviously provides ejector air to the front and strong floater air to the back on both sides, but those 2 extra hills with strong airtime potential on return are what make Red side objectively better than Blue side.

Thanks for explaining WHY that is! I agreed with your assessment of the airtime on Eagle Red front. I used to always ride in the back to maximize the first drop but now I am starting to like the front better! Also I never realized there are two extra hills on Red's return trip.

One strange thing that happens on Eagle in the front on the lift hill (at least on Red) is that the train "hops" or "bounces" for a bit while climbing the hill. I think it happens until entire train is on the lift hill.

As for Viper, I have noticed good airtime in the back. Where do you think it's better for that ride? I know the train definitely feels faster in the back.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Wisco Woody on November 7th, 2016, 3:49 pm
Good question. If you have not ridden Viper in the front car with the lapbar up a lot to allow for airtime, then you are missing out on by far the most and best airtime on any coaster in the Park. It's mostly fast paced floater air but often some ejector air as well like on AE Red.

Again in general, on most traditional wooden coasters with multiple airtime hills, you will get the most and best airtime in the front car with the lapbar loose. The same is true for most steel coasters that have mostly airtime hills, such as out and back hyper coasters like Magnum XL-200 and Diamondback, because the physics and principles at play are the same.
Wisco Woody

Postby Wisco Woody on November 7th, 2016, 3:59 pm
In technical terms, G force due to speed, including airtime, is all about analyzing the first and second derivatives of the track in the dimensions of pitch, yaw, and roll, though we generally refer to most G force resulting from both yaw and roll as lateral G force.
Wisco Woody

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on November 7th, 2016, 4:27 pm
Well with Viper, the drops usually take longer to complete, allowing for more airtime in the back. The ascent also usually loses speed about halfway up, meaning less air.

The only 2 coasters at GAm I prefer towards the front are Eagle and X-Flight. A few coasters like the kiddie coasters and anything in Orleans Place I'm neutral on location. Everything else is last row or bust.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 8th, 2016, 12:19 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Well with Viper, the drops usually take longer to complete, allowing for more airtime in the back. The ascent also usually loses speed about halfway up, meaning less air.

The only 2 coasters at GAm I prefer towards the front are Eagle and X-Flight. A few coasters like the kiddie coasters and anything in Orleans Place I'm neutral on location. Everything else is last row or bust.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

How about Batman and Superman in the front?? I usually don't wait for those rows, but if they are available I'll take them. It's cool to have nothing obstructing your view. I'm still trying to determine where you get the most force in the pretzel loop on Superman.

But Cam, I am like you, I pretty much want the back row for everything. Even X Flight because you get more on that dive loop.

CoasterRiderSC

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum