Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm rants

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 26th, 2016, 1:44 pm
Viper88 - that explanation does make sense! They were cleaning it AFTER the riders left, but still, the vomit could have splattered and hit people in the line.

I still think Demon and Batman have more vomit incidences. I am sure Six Flags keeps track of that kind of thing.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Wisco Woody on September 26th, 2016, 1:51 pm
The park does a good job of marketing X-Flight as a forceful or extreme high thrill coaster, when we know that really isn't the case and that marketing should be more focused on Goliath. The 54 inch height requirement is also unnecessary, as 50 inches seems to work just fine for Gatekeeper at CP and that coaster is correctly marketed as a more family friendly, graceful, and beautiful coaster.
Wisco Woody

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 26th, 2016, 1:56 pm
Wisco Woody wrote:The park does a good job of marketing X-Flight as a forceful or extreme high thrill coaster, when we know that really isn't the case and that marketing should be more focused on Goliath. The 54 inch height requirement is also unnecessary, as 50 inches seems to work just fine for Gatekeeper at CP and that coaster is correctly marketed as a more family friendly, graceful, and beautiful coaster.

Please define "high thrill coaster" and "family coaster" .

I know many adults who won't ride Demon OR X Flight, which you're saying are "family coasters".
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Wisco Woody on September 26th, 2016, 2:00 pm
No, I said family friendly, which X-Flight, Demon, and Gatekeeper at CP are, they are still thrill coasters but are not extreme thrill coasters like Goliath and Batman. The level of forcefulness and intensity is how I personally classify coasters based on thrill. Whizzer and Dark Knight are family coasters.
Wisco Woody

Postby RollingCoasting on September 26th, 2016, 3:46 pm
X-Flight is definitely a bit more family friendly than Batman, Raging Bull, or even Superman

I don't think it's worth changing the height limit though - little kids can ride Demon 8)
RollingCoasting

Postby Wisco Woody on September 26th, 2016, 3:56 pm
Well then Blobb Alvey's daughter can't ride yet. :( The Blobb himself can only fit in row 4.
Wisco Woody

Postby BCarroll on September 26th, 2016, 7:22 pm
On the topic of row four (well kinda) what happened to X-Flights test seat?
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby anewman35 on September 26th, 2016, 7:24 pm
CoasterCale wrote:
anewman35 wrote:Strutters. Dinner Rush. Line out the door. Four cash registers available. ONE cash register open. WHY, SIX FLAGS, WHY?!?!?

The foreign workers are gone for the year as they come over the summer. Thus culinary is especially short staffed. Most, if not all schools are back in session, meaning employees from out of state or attend else where can't work. As for the wheel covers the most logical explanation I've heard to make daily inspections easier.

Then hire more people. And if they can't find more people, then pay more.

I typically never buy food at the park because I always considered it so overpriced, but this year I got the cheap dining pass and over my last two visits it's just been stunning to me how bad the food service is. I really wonder how the cheap Dining Passes help out the park - is ANYBODY happy after waiting in line 30 or more for a meal, even if it was free? Do they care about guest satisfaction in the slightest?
anewman35

Postby Nystagmus on September 26th, 2016, 8:20 pm
I was at the park on Sunday. I went alone and tried out the single rider line for Goliath. I must say the line was not run well. The line barely moved yet train after train was sent out with single seats. The reason, I observed, was because a family of 5 or 6 was at the head of the single rider line and requested to ride together. This is in direct contradiction to the sign at the entrance of the line that says requests to ride together cannot or won't be accommodated. Consequently, the line never moved as it seemed the grouper was trying to get them all onto the same train. They were finally put onto the same train at the expense of those waiting in the regular line. That is extremely unfair to those in the regular line. As they were boarding, the ride broke down. So, I left the line. But, I wonder if the line would have moved better had the family just been assigned open spots on the trains as they became available.

I know there is no guarantee of wait time in the single rider line, but it just irked me that such a huge family was able to ride as a large group through the single line.
Nystagmus

Postby RollingCoasting on September 26th, 2016, 10:33 pm
I have an idea for the SRLS. If they get to an hour long in length (Which they have before), it'd be nice if SFGAm sent a train full of single riders every 25 minutes or so. Only when it's that long, though, not when it's 5 or 6 people.

I witnessed a mom and son (I think) get denied from the SRL on Superman since they were together. Kind of glad to see the park taking notice of stuff like this
RollingCoasting

Postby Viper 88 on September 27th, 2016, 12:16 am
Well that sucks. Me and my dad went on JLBFM through the single rider line no one said anything, I mean we didn't mind if we didn't ride together just so long as we rode it.
Viper 88

Postby stergmi on September 27th, 2016, 11:42 am
Nystagmus wrote:I was at the park on Sunday. I went alone and tried out the single rider line for Goliath. I must say the line was not run well. The line barely moved yet train after train was sent out with single seats. The reason, I observed, was because a family of 5 or 6 was at the head of the single rider line and requested to ride together. This is in direct contradiction to the sign at the entrance of the line that says requests to ride together cannot or won't be accommodated. Consequently, the line never moved as it seemed the grouper was trying to get them all onto the same train. They were finally put onto the same train at the expense of those waiting in the regular line. That is extremely unfair to those in the regular line. As they were boarding, the ride broke down. So, I left the line. But, I wonder if the line would have moved better had the family just been assigned open spots on the trains as they became available.

I know there is no guarantee of wait time in the single rider line, but it just irked me that such a huge family was able to ride as a large group through the single line.

As someone who used to do Goliath single rider a lot I can tell you what happens.

The host takes a group of 3 from regular line. Instead of pulling 1 immediately from single rider they keep pulling from the regular line looking for another odd number group. Then you get into problems where the next odd numbered group from the regular line doesn't want to be split up and eventually you just got to dispatch. They're over-complicating it which makes the single rider line useless (all summer I've been hearing the Flash Pass attendant say that the SRL is 60+ minutes as well).

I understand the regular line needs to come first as it's made up of people who paid for Flash Passes and those that have waited for 60-90 minutes. Look at Disney with their SRLs and they move efficiently, group of 3 from the regular line? Immediately grab 1 from SRL and keep filling the train.
stergmi

Postby RollingCoasting on September 27th, 2016, 3:35 pm
I agree, SRL has been crazy this year compared to others. Oh well, I've been very lucky lately (I got Back-row and 2nd to last-row this year)
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on September 27th, 2016, 3:47 pm
Just be glad that they ditched the lanyard system...

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollingCoasting on September 27th, 2016, 3:50 pm
Forgot about that. Always kinda irritated me when they ran out of lanyards :evil:
RollingCoasting

Postby maxwellt on September 27th, 2016, 4:38 pm
I finna share this story about the first time I experienced Goliath srl. It was august (19th I believe) 2014 and a group of 12 teens went to the single rider line, and me and my friend waited in the normal line for back row. We waited an hour for it (was at the end if the night) and when we got there, only 1 of the teens in the group went on, and the other 11 were still waiting. And they didn't ride together, so...srl can suck sometimes

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby RollingCoasting on September 27th, 2016, 4:45 pm
You technically didn't experience the SRL if you and your friend went in the regular line though :wink:

It can get tedious waiting in it (SRL) sometimes, I usually pass the time by trying to remember how IW looked in the spot
RollingCoasting

Postby sfgam1976 on September 27th, 2016, 8:56 pm
Where's the sign that says that the single rider line is supposed to be a quick line? If the SRL is long then don't get in it. Solved all of your problems!

The purpose of a single rider line is to fill seats that would go empty otherwise. So if the train can be filled by grouping groups of three together then the single riders don't get used that train. The focus is to get the hundreds of people in the actual line on the ride as fast as possible, not the 30 people standing in the single rider line. These are 24 person trains. There are not going to be as many empty seats as on a ride like superman. In my opinion Goliath shouldn't even have a single rider line. Really isn't a need for it.
sfgam1976

Postby stergmi on September 27th, 2016, 11:03 pm
I agree to an extent. When you become so focused on trying to fill a train from the main queue you're slowing down dispatches and leaving empty seats it's a problem. SRL isn't supposed to be a free flash pass but just a way to quickly fill trains.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
stergmi

Postby batmanfan80 on September 28th, 2016, 2:06 am
I think it was on this forum where I commented that the wife used the single rider line in Goliath and it took just as long as the stated 60 min wait time for the regular line. Was back before the hordes pour in. X-Flight can be every bit as intense as Batman. I've rode them both in the same day probably upwards of 20 times. XF has some very intense Gs in the inversions. I'd say some of them can rival anything on Batman. It's definitely more intense than non-invert loopers like Kumba and Kraken. Both our coasters need an extra element though, they feel way too short.
batmanfan80

Postby CoasterCale on September 28th, 2016, 8:28 am
anewman35 wrote:
CoasterCale wrote:
anewman35 wrote:Strutters. Dinner Rush. Line out the door. Four cash registers available. ONE cash register open. WHY, SIX FLAGS, WHY?!?!?

The foreign workers are gone for the year as they come over the summer. Thus culinary is especially short staffed. Most, if not all schools are back in session, meaning employees from out of state or attend else where can't work. As for the wheel covers the most logical explanation I've heard to make daily inspections easier.

Then hire more people. And if they can't find more people, then pay more.

I typically never buy food at the park because I always considered it so overpriced, but this year I got the cheap dining pass and over my last two visits it's just been stunning to me how bad the food service is. I really wonder how the cheap Dining Passes help out the park - is ANYBODY happy after waiting in line 30 or more for a meal, even if it was free? Do they care about guest satisfaction in the slightest?

They most certainly do. They post the surveys of the results for employees every week. I'm not particularly happy after waiting in any lines. But patience is key. Which it seems like many enthusiasts do not have now a days.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby CD5 on October 23rd, 2016, 11:53 pm
I'm not usually one to get verbally frustrated with food service workers, because I can understand that their jobs (for the most part) suck. I get that. But then yesterday at Fright Fest...

I wanted a funnel cake with hot fudge only. I didn't want a funnel cake sundae. I'm from the South, and any temperature below 60 degrees is not appropriate for ice cream consumption.

I thought that the price of the funnel cake ($11.99 I believe) would either be the same or *perhaps* I would get lucky and it would be a bit cheaper. I didn't see a "plain" funnel cake on the menu (they used to list funnel cake supremes without the ice cream).

So when my total came out to be around $13, I was a bit confused.

"How is this $13?"

"Oh well you ordered a funnel cake for $11 and added hot fudge which is $2"

"But the exact same thing *with* ice cream is $12."

"Yeah but you got a plain funnel cake and added hot fudge."

"So I could have asked for a funnel cake sundae -- without ice cream -- and I would have saved $1?"

"Sorry sir I had already put it in the system."

It wasn't the $1 that I was fuming about. It was the complete lack of semi-decent customer service or even just basic thinking.

I hope this was just an isolated incident. An incompetent, dead-behind-the-eyes employee who completely checked out and reverted to autopilot.

It takes a lot to get me rattled. But this got to me.
CD5

Postby Jackluver18 on October 24th, 2016, 11:33 am
I have a rant and it has to do with Fright Fest. Why are there guests coming to the park with anxiety issues? If you are scared then why the heck are you putting yourself through torment? The character batteries I hear about are getting ridiculous. One of my friends whose a clown had her shoulder dislocated due to a guest, one of the other clowns had a man hit him, another clown had someone poke him Friday night and last night one of the pirates had a guests grab his pirate hat and run away with it. So many of my friends that work have had something happen to them. It's Fright Fest, if you're so scared and don't like it when someone scares you, do everyone a huge favor and stay home. One of my friends had a guest go after her and she couldn't see them coming so two of her "family" members stepped in to protect her. The boyfriend yelled at her because his gf was scared and had anxiety problems. Then why the heck did you make her stay for 6 hours during the time the scareactors were out? She had several chances to go home before they came out and yet stayed till the end. It wasn't the scareactors that forced her to stay and guests get mad when they get scared. What the heck is the matter with this world? Can someone explain that to me? (retorical question at the end there)
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby n9yty on October 25th, 2016, 4:44 pm
@Jackluver18 I could be wrong, but I would imagine in some of those cases it is just the extension of what you see with violence against cops and all, just general disrespect. They want to hit someone, they will. If they think they can justify it by going to FF and hoping it is excused, they will. I get ticked off when people don't feel the least bit bothered by not following the rules, not respecting others, and on and on... But you are right, the signage and announcements make it very clear that after 6pm you shouldn't be there if you are that easily set off, so it is a bit irresponsible to be there if you think your reaction could cause harm to workers or other guests. But it seems we care less and less about others and rules these days...
n9yty

Postby sfgam1976 on October 25th, 2016, 5:33 pm
n9yty wrote:@Jackluver18 I could be wrong, but I would imagine in some of those cases it is just the extension of what you see with violence against cops and all, just general disrespect. They want to hit someone, they will. If they think they can justify it by going to FF and hoping it is excused, they will. I get ticked off when people don't feel the least bit bothered by not following the rules, not respecting others, and on and on... But you are right, the signage and announcements make it very clear that after 6pm you shouldn't be there if you are that easily set off, so it is a bit irresponsible to be there if you think your reaction could cause harm to workers or other guests. But it seems we care less and less about others and rules these days...

Very well put. Just a reflection of the world we live in today.
sfgam1976

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum