Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

What is the Next Coaster To Leave?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby BCarroll on April 29th, 2016, 5:20 pm
Here is a Maverick style ride...
Attachments
SFGA.png
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby Johnska on May 1st, 2016, 12:37 pm
I'm changing my thoughts. I think TDK is the next to go. There's a nice forest for a forest section, and maybe keep a little bit of the building so there can be an inside portion. It would be awesome. The fast lift hill could be first so you could see above the forest, then plummet into the foliage. Do a couple of inversions, then launch into the former dark knight building, maybe have a couple of projections? (if SFGAM wants to theme) Throw in a couple of inversions there and bundle it up into an intense, fast, low to the ground coaster.
Johnska

Postby BCarroll on May 1st, 2016, 2:55 pm
Brilliant Idea! ^ It would be nice to still utilize the TDK building, they could also keep the same queue house for a new ride.
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby Johnska on May 1st, 2016, 7:39 pm
Am I the only one who thinks a coaster with a cartoon theme would be awesome? Maybe a Marvin the Martian coaster :mrgreen: ? It could utilize the projections and the former building. The launched lift hill could represent liftoff and then failing to fly away. The launch into the tunnel could be actually going to outer space. There could be separate loading and unloading stations to increase capacity. These could be themed to the separate planets you'd eventually go to.
Johnska

Postby Coaster Justin on May 2nd, 2016, 12:54 am
Johnska wrote:Am I the only one who thinks a coaster with a cartoon theme would be awesome? Maybe a Marvin the Martian coaster :mrgreen: ? It could utilize the projections and the former building. The launched lift hill could represent liftoff and then failing to fly away. The launch into the tunnel could be actually going to outer space. There could be separate loading and unloading stations to increase capacity. These could be themed to the separate planets you'd eventually go to.

I would love a Marvin the Martian retheme of Spacely
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby JimPanky on August 24th, 2017, 11:13 pm
I personally like it but Demon is the least popular coaster in the park and most likely the next to go.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk
JimPanky

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 25th, 2017, 10:41 am
^ Demon is old but it's fairly reliable. And the one big thing it has going for it is the low (42 inch) height requirement. I see V2 leaving first.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby JimPanky on August 25th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Possible but V2 wouldn't open room for another coaster. It's a small footprint.

JimPanky

Postby jmanporty7 on August 25th, 2017, 2:04 pm
JimPanky wrote:Possible but V2 wouldn't open room for another coaster. It's a small footprint.

They could always take out the flumes along with V2 to free up more space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jmanporty7

Postby JimPanky on August 25th, 2017, 2:07 pm
True and I think the flumes leaving makes sense. Idk about the logistics of it though. It is all water in that spot. Would that be a consideration or would they take care of that for an important enough attraction?

JimPanky

Postby maxwellt on August 25th, 2017, 5:06 pm
Tbh, i think joker might be one of the next coasters to leave. Sure V2 and maybe even demon will leave before, but the popularity of the ride is eh at this point (compared to goliath and xflight opening years) and a lot of my gp friends dont really like it, and say its stupid. I know its really soon for it to leave, but i mean zforce only lasted 2 years at the park, so a short span for a coaster is very possible. Im not saying that the joker is leaving after 2 years, but i could see it go in 10 years and even less (which 10 years is a short span for a coaster)
maxwellt

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on August 25th, 2017, 6:46 pm
Z-Force probably would have lasted longer, but it was part of the ride rotation program.
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby SFGAmFan12 on August 25th, 2017, 10:46 pm
JimPanky wrote:True and I think the flumes leaving makes sense. Idk about the logistics of it though. It is all water in that spot. Would that be a consideration or would they take care of that for an important enough attraction?

The water under the flumes is a man made “pond” that they can drain. Basically it’s a pretty holding tank for the flumes water. It would be a big under taking to rip out the concrete that lines that entire area, not to mention the loss of a massive amount of scenery (yes, it’s just a giant open area but it is pretty cool to look at and has a nostalgic feel) but it’s doable. I don’t see Six Flags doing this anytime soon with how much they are willing to spend on new attractions. If they did it would need to be a pretty sizable ride and a reimagination of a lot of space, the ride could somehow utilize the water basins with some work, or they could just cover it (potentially) as a future headache to deal with and leave areas barren if they decided to remove both flumes and replace with a smaller ride.
SFGAmFan12

Postby JimPanky on August 26th, 2017, 1:03 am
It's safe to say the newest coaster is not the next to leave.

JimPanky

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 28th, 2017, 10:53 am
I could see Viper leaving soon. It's 20 years old and just OK. Demon could possibly outlast Viper due to the lower height requirement (42 vs 48) and it's been rumored that some high level exec loves the Demon.

Another ride that can go is Little Dipper! They have Spacely which is a way better ride in my opinion, plus Whizzer and Dark Knight.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on August 28th, 2017, 12:13 pm
How dare you say that about Viper! Viper is the 3rd best coaster in the park. It still has rather long lines and acts as a great in between ride from Whizzer to say Eagle or any of the B&Ms. Yes, Dameon Nelson has said that he loves himself some Demon, but no ride is safe forever. This being said, Dipper is less than 10 years old and I don't see them taking it out anytime soon. It would have looked much better in a whole Kiddieland themed section that the Go Carts currently take up though.
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 28th, 2017, 10:48 pm
Personally I do see V2 going next, unfortunately. It gets stuck every day it seems... I'm sure its a sore for maintnence.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby gottastrata33 on August 28th, 2017, 11:57 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I could see Viper leaving soon. It's 20 years old and just OK. Demon could possibly outlast Viper due to the lower height requirement (42 vs 48) and it's been rumored that some high level exec loves the Demon.

Another ride that can go is Little Dipper! They have Spacely which is a way better ride in my opinion, plus Whizzer and Dark Knight.

You clearly don't care about anything but thrill rides. Not every coaster can be/needs to be a major one. Without rides like Dark Knight, LD, or Demon, the park wouldn't survive. & if you can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you other than it's ignorant. & do not bring up CP please that's it's very own category that has taken decades to build up. Parks need family attractions. Not everyone can ride certain things let alone want to.

I also have to ask - Do you not care about history at all?The Little Dipper though tiny, has left a huge impact on people in the Chicagoland area. There's a reason the park saved it. It was not only my first roller coaster but many of my friends & families first coaster as well. I think Great America saving it was one of the best decisions the park has ever made. Removing it would be a huge mistake in my opinion.
gottastrata33

Postby AirTimeDaz on August 29th, 2017, 10:15 am
gottastrata33 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I could see Viper leaving soon. It's 20 years old and just OK. Demon could possibly outlast Viper due to the lower height requirement (42 vs 48) and it's been rumored that some high level exec loves the Demon.

You clearly don't care about anything but thrill rides. Not every coaster can be/needs to be a major one. Without rides like Dark Knight, LD, or Demon, the park wouldn't survive. & if you can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you other than it's ignorant. & do not bring up CP please that's it's very own category that has taken decades to build up. Parks need family attractions. Not everyone can ride certain things let alone want to.

I also have to ask - Do you not care about history at all?The Little Dipper though tiny, has left a huge impact on people in the Chicagoland area. There's a reason the park saved it. It was not only my first roller coaster but many of my friends & families first coaster as well. I think Great America saving it was one of the best decisions the park has ever made. Removing it would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

If they so much as touch Little Dipper (other than relocating it to a new "KiddieLand" themed kiddie section of the park) i shall take to the street with pitchforks!
AirTimeDaz

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 29th, 2017, 10:45 am
Whizzer Whiz Kid wrote:How dare you say that about Viper! Viper is the 3rd best coaster in the park. It still has rather long lines and acts as a great in between ride from Whizzer to say Eagle or any of the B&Ms. Yes, Dameon Nelson has said that he loves himself some Demon, but no ride is safe forever. This being said, Dipper is less than 10 years old and I don't see them taking it out anytime soon. It would have looked much better in a whole Kiddieland themed section that the Go Carts currently take up though.

It was just a thought! What if they built something much better in its place?? I like the Viper, but Eagle is better after much analysis and riding both.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 29th, 2017, 10:52 am
gottastrata33 wrote:You clearly don't care about anything but thrill rides. Not every coaster can be/needs to be a major one. Without rides like Dark Knight, LD, or Demon, the park wouldn't survive. & if you can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you other than it's ignorant. & do not bring up CP please that's it's very own category that has taken decades to build up. Parks need family attractions. Not everyone can ride certain things let alone want to.

Strata, I am NOT about only thrill rides! Have you not seen my numerous other postings stating how much I like Whizzer and Dark Knight? Whizzer is my #6 coaster at our park and I like Dark Knight very much, even ahead of V2 and Joker. Viper (my #8) is fun. I just hate that it seems to take forever to get on the ride even when the line appears short. Also, it was just a thought about removing it if they had to make space.

As for Little Dipper, yes it's historic and I definitely care about history (see above about Whizzer). Spacely is a way better ride in my opinion. If space became an issue I would think that something could go.

Of course those loud/annoying go karts can go first!
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on August 29th, 2017, 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 29th, 2017, 10:54 am
Sorry guys for touching a nerve with Little Dipper and Viper comments!!

Whizzer is the ride I never want to leave so we all have our sentimental favorites!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on August 29th, 2017, 12:28 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote: Viper (my #8) is fun. I just hate that it seems to take forever to get on the ride even when the line appears short. Also, it was just a thought about removing it if they had to make space.

I have the same annoyance with Viper, really the only downside of the ride is that if the Flash Pass guy isn't paying attention, that station is awful. Easily a 10-15 minute wait. They built it too big in my opinion and I wish all stations were the size of Batman's.
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 29th, 2017, 1:08 pm
The Little Dipper is okay. I don't want the ride to leave, but I feel it was better at Kiddieland. It was a little more intense even though it is the same layout. The Polyp, the train, and the carousel were the outstanding rides at Kiddieland to me. Even the Log Jammer, I liked better than the one at Great America today because of the concrete waterways. It was more like a tiny Roaring Rapids - a few "rapid's in the trough.

Out of the all the rides though at Kiddieland, the Polyp was my gem. Though, the East River Crawler, I just don't care about.

Polyp video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUpZRWi2cJk

Moral of Life:
"You don't know what you've got till it's gone"

My advice to anyone at an amusement park is to just skip the rides you barely like; completely. Your favorite could be gone next year.

What can be gone in life? It can be your parents, a roller coaster, an arcade, an entire amusement park, a store, a restaurant you loved, a convention gets cancelled, etc. Enjoy stuff or people that you really like NOW. Don't wait around to enjoy it.

Kiddieland only closed because of a family dispute. It wasn't because people weren't going to Kiddieland. Some people wanted the money to sell it, and the other people just wanted to keep it running.

Truly, Six Flags could yank any ride they want to after next year. Ride what you care about today! Ignore the rides you ride just because they might have an empty line.

After Six Flags got rid of the Orbit, I have a new perspective when it comes to the park.

After the Orbit died, there are just some rides I won't give a chance to anymore like Fiddler's Fling, I don't care about Goliath, no more chances for Revolution, skipping American Eagle, no wasting my time on the carousel, forget the log ride & the boat ride, no wasting my time on the tea cups or the River Rocker, etc. The only exception now for me is rain. Some of those are rides open in heavier rain, and that's the only reason now why I would ride something like Fiddler's Fling. Otherwise, I'm done with a ride like that. There are so many other great / good rides to enjoy.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on August 29th, 2017, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Muck Finnesota on August 29th, 2017, 1:21 pm
maxwellt wrote:Tbh, i think joker might be one of the next coasters to leave.

Can't see that happening. That said, I'd be all for it, and would even offer a hand in bringing it down. Crossing my fingers.

On a somewhat related note, very pleased that all of those V2 rumors amounted to nothing more than internet noise.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum