Rides
Show Guide
Hurricane Harbor
Park Information
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby got2havefun on August 20th, 2018, 7:00 pm
anewman35 wrote:Noticed today that at some point in the last few months, they put up new signs for "Crazy Bus" and "Yahoo River" instead of just the slightly altered versions of the previous signs they they had up at the beginning of the year. The new ones are on the Six Flags app if you want to see them.

They must of realized that those attractions are going to stay around a little longer before a bigger kid area makeover.
got2havefun

Share On

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Postby Ilovthevu' on August 21st, 2018, 12:05 pm
So, for these 5 weekdays (Mon - Fri); they only have 1 water ride open - Logger's Run. It says Roaring Rapids is closed for the season. You contact the park, and they say Roaring Rapids is going to be open till Labor Day, but obviously they don't know what they are talking about.
RMC - Ruining My Coasters - Georgia Cyclone / Iron Wolf / Colossus - What coaster will they ruin next for me???
Ilovthevu'

Postby Bobthebuilder645 on August 21st, 2018, 3:25 pm
The entire park is having a blackout right now. Everything is shutoff due to a power cut off.
Bobthebuilder645

Postby JT2002 on August 21st, 2018, 8:37 pm
Bobthebuilder645 wrote:The entire park is having a blackout right now. Everything is shutoff due to a power cut off.

those dam christmas lights.
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my park get a RMC Trex, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will double post on this forum.
JT2002

Postby RBullFan97 on August 22nd, 2018, 5:58 pm
In the Giant Drop queue they now play sound effects that make it sound like an old mine, which is pretty neat. Sorry I didn't get any video though. Also, I've noticed in Southwest Territory there's a new sound effect about every minute that sounds like a bird flying across the desert or something like that. I captured it in this video of River Rocker I took. You can hear it at the 0:42 and 1:35 marks approximately: https://youtu.be/_KZa4oQG-nc.
SFGAm Ride Count 2016: 217
SFGAm Ride Count 2017: 76
SFGAm Ride Count 2018 (So Far): 229
RBullFan97

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 22nd, 2018, 6:38 pm
^I heard that noise also, about a week ago. I mentioned it, but than I deleted it right away because maybe I was dreaming even though hearing it a lot.

Since, I know their is proof of it, and I'm not the only one; that noise reminds of the Cruis'n Exotica Nintendo 64 Amazon level: https://youtu.be/rWz81NSXsds?t=34s till about 41 seconds.
RMC - Ruining My Coasters - Georgia Cyclone / Iron Wolf / Colossus - What coaster will they ruin next for me???
Ilovthevu'

Postby Jodon on August 24th, 2018, 10:04 am
Those of you that have been at the park more than I this season: Has Whizzer been opening with the park, or has the ride opening been delayed recently? I'm taking my niece and nephew to the park in a few weeks, and want to get on Whizzer before the queue gets too crazy.
Jodon

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 24th, 2018, 10:13 am
^ Whizzer has been having a really bad year. Opening late almost every day, and the 3rd train has been out of service since late July.
DejaVu2001

Postby benneluke on August 24th, 2018, 11:09 am
RBullFan97 wrote:In the Giant Drop queue they now play sound effects that make it sound like an old mine, which is pretty neat. ...in Southwest Territory there's a new sound effect about every minute that sounds like a bird flying across the desert

Seems like someone is getting around to fixing up the park audio. I know GG used to have sound effects in the tunnels, but they have been missing for a while. I think every so often an explosion goes off. The eagle sound is interesting I dont ever remember hearing that. Was it layered over the area music, or coming from a specific speaker? Hopefully this means themed music will return next year.
What a day! What a place! What a smile on your face!
benneluke

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 24th, 2018, 11:53 am
I absolutely LOVE the eagle sound in Southwest!! You can hear them very clearly at the top of Giant Drop, in addition to a "whirling" sound of wind. I also love the pick axe sound effects in Giant Drop's queue.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby RBullFan97 on August 24th, 2018, 12:25 pm
benneluke wrote:
RBullFan97 wrote:In the Giant Drop queue they now play sound effects that make it sound like an old mine, which is pretty neat. ...in Southwest Territory there's a new sound effect about every minute that sounds like a bird flying across the desert

Seems like someone is getting around to fixing up the park audio. I know GG used to have sound effects in the tunnels, but they have been missing for a while. I think every so often an explosion goes off. The eagle sound is interesting I dont ever remember hearing that. Was it layered over the area music, or coming from a specific speaker? Hopefully this means themed music will return next year.

I've been trying to figure out where the eagle sound is coming from. I think it's over by Giant Drop or Raging Bull, but I'm not too sure.
And yes, I hope this means the themed music might come back, but remember that post I made a couple weeks ago where I mentioned a part of County Fair was playing themed music? Well, it's pop music now. So idk, we can always hope and write to them about it, but they really seem fixed on the pop music so who knows at this point.
SFGAm Ride Count 2016: 217
SFGAm Ride Count 2017: 76
SFGAm Ride Count 2018 (So Far): 229
RBullFan97

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 24th, 2018, 4:09 pm
Jodon wrote:Those of you that have been at the park more than I this season: Has Whizzer been opening with the park, or has the ride opening been delayed recently? I'm taking my niece and nephew to the park in a few weeks, and want to get on Whizzer before the queue gets too crazy.

It's the new last priority ride which is never a good sign for that ride. Demon should be a last priority roller coaster ride instead (Have a sign on the ride, opens at 11am - The 6 guests that want to ride it - Demon at 11am, will be waiting to ride it. The Whizzer is more important with 30+ guests waiting.), and than 2nd maybe American Eagle. This is never good. It's literally the FIRST coaster you encounter on the right side of the park. I remember not too lately (a garbage idea), they had it open 30 minutes after the park opens. Why would the FIRST roller coaster you encounter open 30 minutes after at 11 am? It just sort of means to me, they want to get rid of it.
Ilovthevu'

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 24th, 2018, 4:35 pm
^ Yes, they totally want to get rid of the ride they're painting :roll:
DejaVu2001

Postby benneluke on August 24th, 2018, 4:39 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:...they had [whizzer] open 30 minutes after the park opens. Why would the FIRST roller coaster you encounter open 30 minutes after at 11 am? It just sort of means to me, they want to get rid of it.

It's probably a staffing issue. Im sure they would rather have ride ops and managers opening big rides like RB, Goliath, and X-Flight than a family coaster.
What a day! What a place! What a smile on your face!
benneluke

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 24th, 2018, 4:41 pm
If 2002 taught us anything it’s that Whizzer isn’t going anywhere and it doesn’t cost much to maintain it.

And I say 2002 because it was announced then it was being removed for the 2003’s addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby anewman35 on August 24th, 2018, 5:36 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:If 2002 taught us anything it’s that Whizzer isn’t going anywhere and it doesn’t cost much to maintain it.

And I say 2002 because it was announced then it was being removed for the 2003’s addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2002 was a long time ago. I'm not saying I expect the Whizzer to go anywhere anytime soon, but at some point their may be structural or maintenance stuff that makes it no longer worth it to the park to keep it.
anewman35

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 24th, 2018, 6:05 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:^ Yes, they totally want to get rid of the ride they're painting :roll:

Maybe, 2 years after Deja Vu was painted, they took it out. Orbit's NEW lights didn't last long. They didn't even finish painting it (Whizzer). They even painted the Pictorium, and soon after, it was gone. As in retail stores, sometimes a remodeled retail store means doom and gloom for that company. They think by remodeling a retail store, they will get a lot more people, but a lot of times, it's the opposite. The retail store goes out of business. I see this remodeling concept especially with Giant Drop and Demon. By adding more stuff to those rides, they are begging people to ride those.

Superman is the one that really, really needs the paint. The paint is literally MISSING on parts of that ride / not just faded.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Sven18 on August 24th, 2018, 6:52 pm
2019 Flash Sale prices are out:
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/s ... h-sale-zap

Memberships:
Not going on sale, same price as previously listed. But, if you buy them during the sale you get 3 months free at the end of the membership. So, I interpret that as you start paying now(last day of Auguest or 1st couple of days of September during flash sale. You pay 12 months till next Sept 1st, then you get 3 months free Sept, Oct, Nov 2018, So then your new cycle of renewal id December. By doing this SF will get all the flash sale converts on December renewal cycle. I bet they probably alter the deal so people who buy october get one leas month free and thus SF gets many of memberships on the same cycle. Also, the fact is people who are pas holders and converting aren't really getting anything free b/cyou already paid for 2018 last 3 months with the 2018 pass while they are charging you for those months in your new membership. This is a way of not double charging you essentially, but taks until the end of 2019 to come true

Passes:
Regular upgrade to Gold Pass, increase $3 from last year to $68

Dining passes:
Free upgrade of deluxe to premium, increases $2 from last year to $75, free all season drink bottle
Sven18

Postby anewman35 on August 24th, 2018, 8:43 pm
Sven18 wrote:2019 Flash Sale prices are out:
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/s ... h-sale-zap

Memberships:
Not going on sale, same price as previously listed. But, if you buy them during the sale you get 3 months free at the end of the membership. So, I interpret that as you start paying now(last day of Auguest or 1st couple of days of September during flash sale. You pay 12 months till next Sept 1st, then you get 3 months free Sept, Oct, Nov 2018, So then your new cycle of renewal id December. By doing this SF will get all the flash sale converts on December renewal cycle. I bet they probably alter the deal so people who buy october get one leas month free and thus SF gets many of memberships on the same cycle. Also, the fact is people who are pas holders and converting aren't really getting anything free b/cyou already paid for 2018 last 3 months with the 2018 pass while they are charging you for those months in your new membership. This is a way of not double charging you essentially, but taks until the end of 2019 to come true

Passes:
Regular upgrade to Gold Pass, increase $3 from last year to $68

Dining passes:
Free upgrade of deluxe to premium, increases $2 from last year to $75, free all season drink bottle

Fairly sure this site isn't "done" yet - still some placeholder XXs instead of actual numbers. So this may just be an artifact from some other park and mean nothing. But I found this a little interesting:

"Free upgrade to a 2-Park Combo Pass. Free Hurricane Harbor in 2019!"

The "Combo Pass" wording is usually used for parks with a standalone HH - ours has never had that concept because all passes automatically included HH. Hmm...
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on August 24th, 2018, 8:51 pm
Oh, and that "three months free" deal is really not very good...

"Membership 3 Free Months Promotion Details: Sign up for a Membership through this promotion and we’ll add three free additional months of Membership to your account immediately following your last paid month. To receive your free additional months, you must be up-to-date on your membership payments and you must request your cancellation through our regular cancellation process. Add-ons such as Member Dining and Member THE FLASH Pass are not included in this special offer and will not be automatically extended into the free period. Instead of three free months, Members who remain in the program 48 months will receive an in-park credit equivalent to three months of their regular monthly Membership fees (does not include add-ons such as Member Dining or Member THE FLASH Pass)

So you only get the three months free after you cancel (or after four years they'll give you park credit for it). I guess, maybe, you could figure out a way to cancel the membership at the exact point where you would want the three months, then restart it afterwards in a way that makes it worthwhile, but seems needlessly complicated.
anewman35

Postby ChicagoCoasters on August 24th, 2018, 11:35 pm
For the membership rewards it says that you can trade in your points for Slingshot experiences. Are we getting a Slingshot or is it just a copy and paste?
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 24th, 2018, 11:56 pm
anewman35 wrote:Oh, and that "three months free" deal is really not very good...

"Membership 3 Free Months Promotion Details: Sign up for a Membership through this promotion and we’ll add three free additional months of Membership to your account immediately following your last paid month. To receive your free additional months, you must be up-to-date on your membership payments and you must request your cancellation through our regular cancellation process. Add-ons such as Member Dining and Member THE FLASH Pass are not included in this special offer and will not be automatically extended into the free period. Instead of three free months, Members who remain in the program 48 months will receive an in-park credit equivalent to three months of their regular monthly Membership fees (does not include add-ons such as Member Dining or Member THE FLASH Pass)

So you only get the three months free after you cancel (or after four years they'll give you park credit for it). I guess, maybe, you could figure out a way to cancel the membership at the exact point where you would want the three months, then restart it afterwards in a way that makes it worthwhile, but seems needlessly complicated.

I think you will see a LOT of furious people with this. They won't read that, and think the 3 months start right away. Than, those furious people won't ever come back for a LONG time. What a horrible promotion. I can't even believe that, they wouldn't even give you the 3 free months after a year / forcing people to cancel. Sometime in the future, I see a class action lawsuit for this type of trickery.

This is a good one too (to read):
"Free food for the rest of 2018 applies only to new Season Dining Pass holders only. Nothing nefarious going on here -- it's just that if you already have a 2018 Season Dining Pass then you've technically already paid for your 2018 food. It would be incorrect for us to claim that it is "free.""
Ilovthevu'

Postby Sven18 on August 25th, 2018, 9:01 am
The 3 months free is a big "nothing burger" in my opinion. You get 3 months free after you decided you no longer want to be a member. It would have been a benefit if they gave the 3 free months to 2018 pass holders that by now. 2018 pass holders are double paying from september to the end of the year if they buy now. SF Q3/Q4 revenue will be a record with this slick double paying gambit. If people think it thru they would not buy memberships till Jan 1st. Buying now you do get the 4+ price even if you buy less than 4, that's $1/mth and $12 the first year of membership. However you are paying 4 months when you still have your 2018 benefits. So, a gold plus will be paying $28.60 to save $12..net negative of $16.60. I also wonder if starting month 13 you revert back to the normal price ie...$8.15/mth for gold plus or whatever the rate for the membership is for your level in 2020 or do you continue to get the 4+ price whatever that is for 2020. On the surface Gold Pass to the lowest membership looks good potentially until, you get into the details. Gold pass is $68 and Gold Plus membership is $86, $18 mor and you get the free drinking bottle and the benefits you essentially got in2018 Gold pass that were moved to membership. However in the fine print don't forget the membership is $1/mth(making it $98 or you can pay $20 deposit). So, SF gets $12 or $20 from you that they can claim as revenue. Then as mentioned before does that 4+ price stick beyond the 12 months. These are just some of the many questions people will have. I hope SF has their customer service ready phone and email b/c the number of questions with this are endless. Somehow I doubt the CS resources will be adequate to the inquiry level.
Sven18

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on August 25th, 2018, 9:15 pm
^ Yeah the questions are definitely endless which shows the way Six Flags does business is very weird, complicated, and unnecessary :roll: .
Lightning Rod is finally open! Oh wait it closed.

Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. El Toro 3. Maverick 4. Mako 5. Boulder Dash 6. Nitro 7. Goliath SFGAM 8. Iron Rattler 9. Medusa Steel Coaster 10. Superman The Ride
_FuryBull_330_

Postby cliffhanger on August 26th, 2018, 10:31 am
Minor off-toppic quip here: I'm so glad the people here use good grammar and spelling. The groups on Facebook are hideously bad and half the time I don't understand what people are trying to say.
cliffhanger

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum