Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Coaster Justin on May 8th, 2017, 10:14 pm
ilrider wrote:I've never found Viper to be rough. Weird. Great ride.

Agree. Eagle on the other hand... Especially the final helix's before the station on both sides.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby ilrider on May 9th, 2017, 7:04 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:
ilrider wrote:I've never found Viper to be rough. Weird. Great ride.

Agree. Eagle on the other hand... Especially the final helix's before the station on both sides.

Agreed. Those final helixes are brutal. I actually felt really bad pain for the first time ever on the blue side last fall.
ilrider

Postby benneluke on May 10th, 2017, 10:49 am
It really depends on how you ride. If you move with the train (think riding a horse) it isnt that bad. If you firmly sit in the seat and brace against it, its going to be real bad.
What a day! What a place! What a smile on your face!
benneluke

Postby RobSFGAm on May 10th, 2017, 5:47 pm
Don't see it mentioned, but the video display part of the park sign on the tollway is gone (can see right through it).
Not sure i they are upgrading, getting a newer one or just doing massmaintenance on it. I doubt the maintenance as tey would probably only take down one side at a time...noy both. The plexiglass (Six Flags/HH part is still in place).
RobSFGAm

Postby SixFlags_Fan on May 10th, 2017, 5:58 pm
I think they are putting new screens up because it was having glitches and it was distorted at points.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
SixFlags_Fan

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on May 10th, 2017, 7:27 pm
It's about time they do that. The screen (at least on the WI side) has been really bad for a while.
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby RollingCoasting on May 10th, 2017, 8:11 pm
Hoping to finally do Drop of Doom tomorrow, couple questions

1. Does it open with the park?
2. Approximately what time do they run out of reservations? I know one person said they went at four and they were out, so I'm thinking I should hit it early on in the day
3. What's the average dispatch interval? I've never done a VR attraction before so I'm unaware
RollingCoasting

Postby Coaster Justin on May 10th, 2017, 10:26 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:Hoping to finally do Drop of Doom tomorrow, couple questions

2. Approximately what time do they run out of reservations? I know one person said they went at four and they were out, so I'm thinking I should hit it early on in the day
3. What's the average dispatch interval? I've never done a VR attraction before so I'm unaware

1. Yes Or 5-10 minutes after
2. Get there when they open
3. Maybe every 4-5 minutes
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby hook13 on May 11th, 2017, 9:21 am
With the water park opening soon, just wondering, how is it? More interested in pool/lounge area/kids area...things 2 to 4 year olds can do....and just enjoying summer weather. Are food lines horrible? Thinking about going to STL's over memorial day weekend, anybody know how it compares to SFGAm....should we warmer down there.....Thanks for any feedback-
hook13

Postby RollingCoasting on May 11th, 2017, 10:31 am
20170511_102809.jpg

Highway Sign Update
RollingCoasting

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 11th, 2017, 12:48 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:Hoping to finally do Drop of Doom tomorrow, couple questions

RC, I thought you did Demon VR last year??
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Dmrbug on May 11th, 2017, 1:31 pm
hook13 wrote:With the water park opening soon, just wondering, how is it? More interested in pool/lounge area/kids area...things 2 to 4 year olds can do....and just enjoying summer weather. Are food lines horrible? Thinking about going to STL's over memorial day weekend, anybody know how it compares to SFGAm....should we warmer down there.....Thanks for any feedback-

There is plenty of splashing and playing for a 2 & 4 year old at the water park. Next to the Skull island water slides there is a toddler section with things for them to climb on and sprinklers to get them all wet. There is a toddler slide as well depending how adventurous your toddlers are. My Kid was able do the big slides in the skull starting at age 4. Do note that you can not slide down with them on any of the slides and they do not allow life vests on slides. My Wife would take him to the top and I would wait at the bottom of slide for him to help him stand up. There is also the wave pool that the kids of all ages love. Also there is a big pool that has lily pads to walk across and swim around in. They have free life jackets to use as well all over the water park and its as simple as just grabbing one in the many of pool sides. There is also 3 kiddie rides that are on the way to the waterpark (bi-planes, lady bugs, and horse carriage) so they can get a ride in as well to add to the fun day.

As for St Louis waterpark I can tell you when we went my then 4 year old loved it. I was ill that day so I chilled out on a lawn chair and people watched all day. My kid and wife ended up playing all day and I got much needed rest outside. This was 2 years ago so as far as I remember they had pretty much the same stuff SFGAM has.

EDIT: Reworded about St Louis to state that I am talking about the waterpark not the whole amusement park. The amusement parks are very different. If you go to St Louis six flags be sure to wear good walking shoes. The whole thing is on a big hill and has a lot of up hill and down hill walking.
Last edited by Dmrbug on May 11th, 2017, 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dmrbug

Postby JaminOut on May 11th, 2017, 4:23 pm
^Six Flags Great America and St. Louis are very different parks.

Climate-wise, GAm is cooler because it's further north and near the lake.

Great America has a mostly solid flat ride collection and several great roller coasters that are fairly well maintained.

St. Louis has some good flats and mostly mediocre coasters.

The major similar rides between the parks are Justice League (GAm has an updated version) and Batman (ours is more themed and photogenic).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby RollingCoasting on May 11th, 2017, 4:55 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:RC, I thought you did Demon VR last year??

Haha nope. I haven't ridden Demon since June 29th, 2014

RollingCoasting wrote:Sorry for all of the questions but has anyone here done Drop of Doom yet? How was it? I was hoping to get on it yesterday but prioritized other things and only had 70 minutes at the park so I didn't get to it.

20170511_113220.jpg

20170511_113053.jpg

Alright, I finally rode it after 3 visits and here's my review:

I got in line around 11:20 and it was pretty short for a new attraction. 20 minute line (Even though everything else was 5 minutes or less, more likely the latter)

They had quite a few signs in the queue line with rules and information about the VR. I believe they were running cars 1, 2, and 3 only. After pulling down your restraint, the attendant walks by and asks if you want a headset or not. A lot of people seemed to mention that ROTG headsets had problems turning on and were glitchy, but DoD was completely fine, no bugs whatsoever. (For me, atleast). The ascent feels a lot longer than it really is and the headsets do a great job of making you feel like you're rotating even after the car gets to the top. My younger sister told me when we arrived at the top but again, it felt very long. When the catch car releases, the screen sort of turns to the side to give you a perspective of falling off of a tower sideways.

Overall, it was a neat experience. Not sure I'd wait over 30 minutes for it but for sure less. I would've expected longer dispatch intervals but like Justin said, they were only 4-5 minutes, nothing terrible. I've seen worse operations for GD without VR, actually.

---
Non GD related updates

-Both sides of Eagle, Logger's Run, and Dare Devil Dive were closed
-The Joker did not appear to be testing today (Atleast from 10:30-3:00)
-Did not get a picture but the "ENTER" portion of the Joker's sign has been completed, work was being done on the queue tent
-Not sure if this has been pointed out already but Whizzer did not get a new wait time sign like other rides
-Batman was only running 1 train (Not that it mattered, the station was empty). It seems like it has on all of the "Dead Days" this season
-Unlike most flat rides, Triple Play does not seem to have a shorter cycle this year, at least not noticeably.
-There is a crane parked behind Goliath's station
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on May 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Glad to hear the DoD is running fairly smoothly. I'm hoping to get on it this weekend.

Another bit of news- Eagle's lift hill is now 100% done(there were a few bents that weren't fully painted before).

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on May 11th, 2017, 7:12 pm
Does anyone know if they are repainting Eagle's red handrails/blue track as well? It looked pretty bad with the bright white sprayed all over the blue track and some of the rails.
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby hoju74 on May 12th, 2017, 11:12 am
Does anyone know if the VR on Giant Drop is limited to guests over 14 years old like it was for Demon last year ? My son got interested when he heard it was about spiders...lol
hoju74

Postby RollingCoasting on May 12th, 2017, 11:15 am
^ 13 and up
RollingCoasting

Postby great america fan on May 12th, 2017, 7:29 pm
ImageImageImage
Some updates from today the bridge has also been extended
great america fan

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on May 12th, 2017, 8:13 pm
Sad to see they took down the blueprints, but I love that Eagle poster so much I may or may not have bought it in postcard form already. :lol:
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby great america fan on May 13th, 2017, 8:50 am
The sign has been replaced
great america fan

Postby Maverick416 on May 14th, 2017, 12:58 am
Did anybody else apply for that commercial shoot their doing on Thursday? When do we hear back about it?
Maverick416

Postby RollingCoasting on May 14th, 2017, 1:26 pm
^ I may be wrong, but I believe the deadline to enter was 5/11 and you would've heard back on 5/12

Looks like they found use for Jester's ride-op booth :lol:

Jester's booth in parking lot.png

Photo courtesy of JiggidyNDG
RollingCoasting

Postby great america fan on May 14th, 2017, 1:46 pm
I still wouldn't be surprised if jesters is brought back this season especially now since there's a jesters sized plot Image
great america fan

Postby Goku1910 on May 14th, 2017, 2:23 pm
I noticed this yesterday, the curb ends right there by the fence. Sure there's a reason for it.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum