Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby RollingCoasting on September 2nd, 2017, 4:33 pm
Been there since June lol

Last Call booth in Yukon Territory

Also the 2018 bottles are being sold
RollingCoasting

Postby Viper 88 on September 2nd, 2017, 6:14 pm
Anyone know how much the 2018 all season will be is there going to be a coupon on the 2018 pass?
Viper 88

Postby Goku1910 on September 2nd, 2017, 6:25 pm
Viper 88 wrote:Anyone know how much the 2018 all season will be is there going to be a coupon on the 2018 pass?

Sale is already up. I think the picture pass is $25
Goku1910

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 3rd, 2017, 9:41 pm
I really, really dislike what the park is doing with short ride times on certain flat rides.

Big Easy Balloons ride time is PATHETIC. It feels like you are on the ride for 20 seconds. They might as well take the ride down because sooner or later no one will ride it for that short of a ride time. It's completely ridiculous. The Scrambler is also really bad. This has to be one of the worst years for flats in the history of the park. Sky Trek Tower closed for 4 hours a day, and the line was mobbed with people. East River Crawler not even set up. Orbit is gone. Flat ride times are horrible. The line was still long. For what feels like a 20 second balloon ride, the wait time was still longer because they won't have 2 employees. That ride used to be good. Might as well take it out right now because that's PATHETIC. You ruined a ride in which a person likes that ride, and you go up, and go down so fast.

I'm waiting for the train to be shortened to a 20 second ride after it leaves the station. Hey, it increases capacity. What's the point of riding that anymore (Balloons)? I sure won't unless they increase the ride time back to normal, and I like that ride. Their is no pay off for waiting that long in line.

I would think that on here a lot of people are not going to complain about flat ride times because I would think a lot of you people mostly don't go on them except maybe Giant Drop or Justice League which don't have changes in ride times. It's literally like if they ran 1/4 of Goliath (which is impossible), and that was it. That was the ride. You waited that time for just 1/4 of Goliath ride cycle. You get more employees - not cut down ride cycles. Take out the stupid Demon. You have minus 3 employees in which 1 can go to Balloons, 1 to Rue Le Dodge, 1 to East River Crawler (when it opens in 2035), or you can take out Buccaneer Battle. They even saved money on operations of not using the Pictorium the entire year.

Did the park ever think, why is it right for the park to have a 2 minute ride on Raging Bull, but yet have what feels like a 20 second ride on the Balloons?
Next for Hurricane Harbor, it makes me furious that on Bahama Mama's pole, it actually says HEART (with a symbol of a heart) Satan! when on the relaxing river. I am NOT joking! This is HORRIBLE. I would imagine that someone did it when they had that stupid maze of the relaxing river during fright fest. I did see it before, probably this year. The park needs to get rid of this asap.
Also for Hurricane Harbor, they having a section of chairs right by the wavepool that you must pay for - $10 a person. It's essentially preferred wavepool sitting on chairs. This is NOT the cabanas. That's also extra as it always was. When the waterpark is crowded all of those chairs will be filled up, so the waterpark is now charging people to sit on certain chairs by the wavepool for $10 a person.
______
Condor was shut down.

______
Batman that is older now actually has 4 seat checkers. It hasn't had that many for so long!! The ride gets sent out really fast because of the 4 seat checkers! This is about the only thing they improved the entire year except for American Eagle painting of that coaster even though I could take it or leave it. (If they got rid of it tomorrow, oh well.)

_______
Everything else was dismal. No wonder why people say attendance was down. They truly messed up almost anything they could this year!
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby staticshadows on September 3rd, 2017, 9:57 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:I really, really dislike what the park is doing with short ride times on certain flat rides.

Big Easy Balloons ride time is PATHETIC. It feels like you are on the ride for 20 seconds. They might as well take the ride down because sooner or later no one will ride it for that short of a ride time. It's completely ridiculous. The Scrambler is also really bad. This has to be one of the worst years for flats in the history of the park. Sky Trek Tower closed for 4 hours a day, and the line was mobbed with people. East River Crawler not even set up. Orbit is gone. Flat ride times are horrible. The line was still long. For what feels like a 20 second balloon ride, the wait time was still longer because they won't have 2 employees. That ride used to be good. Might as well take it out right now because that's PATHETIC. You ruined a ride in which a person likes that ride, and you go up, and go down so fast.

I'm waiting for the train to be shortened to a 20 second ride after it leaves the station. Hey, it increases capacity. What's the point of riding that anymore (Balloons)? I sure won't unless they increase the ride time back to normal, and I like that ride. Their is no pay off for waiting that long in line.

I would think that on here a lot of people are not going to complain about flat ride times because I would think a lot of you people mostly don't go on them except maybe Giant Drop or Justice League which don't have changes in ride times. It's literally like if they ran 1/4 of Goliath (which is impossible), and that was it. That was the ride. You waited that time for just 1/4 of Goliath ride cycle. You get more employees - not cut down ride cycles. Take out the stupid Demon. You have minus 3 employees in which 1 can go to Balloons, 1 to Rue Le Dodge, 1 to East River Crawler (when it opens in 2035), or you can take out Buccaneer Battle. They even saved money on operations of not using the Pictorium the entire year.

Did the park ever think, why is it right for the park to have a 2 minute ride on Raging Bull, but yet have what feels like a 20 second ride on the Balloons?
Next for Hurricane Harbor, it makes me furious that on Bahama Mama's pole, it actually says HEART (with a symbol of a heart) Satan! when on the relaxing river. I am NOT joking! This is HORRIBLE. I would imagine that someone did it when they had that stupid maze of the relaxing river during fright fest. I did see it before, probably this year. The park needs to get rid of this asap.
Also for Hurricane Harbor, they having a section of chairs right by the wavepool that you must pay for - $10 a person. It's essentially preferred wavepool sitting on chairs. This is NOT the cabanas. That's also extra as it always was. When the waterpark is crowded all of those chairs will be filled up, so the waterpark is now charging people to sit on certain chairs by the wavepool for $10 a person.
______
Condor was shut down.

______
Batman that is older now actually has 4 seat checkers. It hasn't had that many for so long!! The ride gets sent out really fast because of the 4 seat checkers! This is about the only thing they improved the entire year except for American Eagle painting of that coaster even though I could take it or leave it. (If they got rid of it tomorrow, oh well.)

_______
Everything else was dismal. No wonder why people say attendance was down. They truly messed up almost anything they could this year!

Maybe you should take a break from the park if you are so unhappy. You are entitled to your opinion, but the constant long complaint posts are getting a bit old on a forum that is supposed to be fun.
staticshadows

Postby anewman35 on September 3rd, 2017, 10:48 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:I really, really dislike what the park is doing with short ride times on certain flat rides.

______
Condor was shut down.

______

_______

Whatever. The park is far from perfect, but if you think that a single person didn't come to the park this year because they heard that Big Easy Balloons was down to 20 seconds or whatever, you're crazy. Yes, it sucks if rides are shorter, but it also makes the lines for those rides shorter. And unless you're a kid, Big Easy Balloons probably isn't really for you anyway. My kids still think it's fine and don't care that it's a little shorter.

And are you really asking why is it "right" for some rides to be longer than other rides? It's a for profit amusement park, they're going to do what they want, "right" has nothing to do with it. I echo the other comment - constructive criticism is one thing, but if going to the park makes you so actively angry, why do it?

(BTW - you talk about tanking attendance? I'm pretty sure the GP, which tends to remember the Demon fondly, would love if it was taken out to increase the ride cycle on the stupid Big Easy Balloons like you suggest. People complain about carnival rides? We had that exact ride at a carnival I was at yesterday...)
anewman35

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 3rd, 2017, 11:39 pm
^You just don't know me, and the rides I ride. I have ridden and enjoyed that ride for years with a normal ride cycle. It's not just like oh I'll randomly ride that ride and give it a chance this year. That ride is not the same ride at the carnival. The carnival one is very small in height compared to the balloons at Great America. The carnival ride is a portable Samba Balloons, and the one at the Great America is a Balloon Race. The other one is almost a toddler size ride. If the park had it, it would probably be in the Cartoon Camp area. The one at Great America is more a family ride.

Samba Balloon at the carnival:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSZzXQgmFiw&t=27s

Your fondly Demon had a station wait today. lol while the train (Scenic Railway) had every row full in which no one else could get on anymore. Let's say 200 people (I always forget to count how many rows - 4 seats per row (could be 5 seats, but let's go with 4) - 10 rows maybe per car / 5 cars) = 200 people on one train.

People speak with riding, and the least adult coaster line (Skip Little Dipper / Spacely's) is usually the Demon, and than after that it's American Eagle.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby JaminOut on September 4th, 2017, 2:34 pm
^ I don’t know when you go to the park, but I usually go on days that are fairly dead. I have always seen a 15+ minute line for Demon throughout the day. They load trains to full capacity whenever I see it running. Demon draws a crowd that some of us on this forum may not see. Sure, if you’re a taller person the ride is definitely somewhat uncomfortable, but it’s meant to be a family attraction... not a thrill ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby anewman35 on September 4th, 2017, 4:16 pm
I'm not really even saying that Demon is especially popular in real life, but I think it is a ride that people who haven't been to the park for a few years or since they were younger remember fondly, so if they really did take it out (especially if they took it out to give another 20 seconds on the Balloons) people would complain.
anewman35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 6th, 2017, 7:39 am
^ The one thing you mention that really concerns me is the graffiti in Hurricane Harbor. You should send an email to park management to let them know about that.

Something that I saw on 9/3 that truly bothered me:
A woman entered the park with a shirt that literally said
"Fu** You" (the actual word - i just blanked out last 2 letters for here), and it was repeated like 8 times on the shirt
and at the very bottom it said
"Very Much"

How she got past security check and the scanners is beyond me. This is supposed to be a family friendly park.
I don't know why she was allowed to wear that shirt. I've also seen guys with pictures of basically naked women on their shirts too in the past and nobody said anything about that.

That kind of stuff would not be allowed at somewhere like Dollywood.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby coasterjoy on September 6th, 2017, 7:43 pm
Wow that's extremely inappropriate...no one, and especially kids, should have to be subjected to that. Smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coasterjoy

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on September 6th, 2017, 10:47 pm
I see profanity clothing all the time at the park but nothing as extreme as that.

A few years ago they wouldn't let my mom and sister in because they didn't have cover-ups over their one pieces, so they do force dress code sporadically I guess :lol:
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 494
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby MrsTaxi on September 8th, 2017, 3:28 am

______
Condor was shut down.

______

_______

Ok, I'll bite. First off, RELAX. I agree with you that the shortened ride cycles suck. It's been that way basically all season. The Big Easy Balloons one especially due to the fact that you have to wait for the OP to unlock your "car". It just isn't worth it for such a short ride. You are not the only one upset by all this. Many of my friends have emailed complaints.
The heart satan bit is unacceptable and should be removed. FF hasn't used HH in a few years so..... We get it....you don't like the older coasters. That's fine, but a lot of people still love them. ( I'm not fond of Demon) At the end of the day, Six Flags is a business. They are going to do what makes them the most money. Yes- it sucks sometimes.
MrsTaxi

Postby RollingCoasting on October 6th, 2017, 3:32 pm
Haven't been to the park since Fright Fest opening weekend. Has there been any progress on King Chaos removal/Lobster construction?
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on October 6th, 2017, 3:38 pm
They added FF decorations to Chaos, and Lobster might have a car added.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby UWW-10 on October 7th, 2017, 6:49 am
Sounds like they'll market Lobster and "World's Tallest Looping Coaster" as two new park attractions next year :lol:

I'm not complaining about it...but my hunch would be that from the initial decision to relocate ERC, they were in no hurry to get that project done for whatever reason. The last time it was refurbished, it seems as if the ride was tamed down and since then, there's just been something off about its cycle.
UWW-10

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on October 7th, 2017, 9:22 am
I wonder what will happen to Jesters Wild Ride, Orbit, Ameri-go-round and soon to be King Chaos..... We've got alot of rides that are just sitting in storage, lol
Nothing to see here....
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby coasterfanatic on October 7th, 2017, 1:18 pm
I was at the park yesterday.

It does not appear that King Chaos will be removed before the end of the operating season. It's a ride that likely doesn't take long to dismantle.

Progress has continued. The refurbished cars are on The Lobster complete with LEDs and the new orange look. The just need to put The Lobster on the top.

There's an outside chance that it maybe opens during November but I doubt that. They also replaced the fence along the outside of the ride. It's the same fence that they use for X Flight.
Attachments
image1.jpeg
coasterfanatic

Postby RollingCoasting on October 7th, 2017, 1:52 pm
Woah! Last time I was at the park (Sept. 17th) there were only 2 or 3 cars on... That much progress in >3 weeks makes me think it'll actually open by the end of the year :)
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on October 7th, 2017, 2:47 pm
Last time I was at the park(Oct. 1st) there were still only 2 or 3 cars on! This is some insane progress, wow! Props to the Maintenance team!

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on October 7th, 2017, 3:28 pm
It honestly seems like a waste at this point. Aren't there other things to do than put together a ride that hasn't run all season?
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby UWW-10 on October 8th, 2017, 10:03 am
^ Agreed...they must have intentions of opening it before season's end or they wouldn't be going through all the trouble to put it back together.
UWW-10

Postby FParker185 on October 8th, 2017, 11:26 pm
Seems like a waste to pay the money to have it inspected by the state just to have it open a few weeks. Wish the park would say why it's taken so long to move a portable ride that should tear down in under a day and set up in a day and a half.

Speaking of portable rides, King Chaos should come down in a day or 2. I doubt they have the gondola transport trailer, but the rest folds up onto it's trailer pretty easily
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby coasterfanatic on October 9th, 2017, 1:39 pm
So you want the park to admit that they are lazy and really didn't make an effort to get The Lobster opened in a timely fashion? They would say that there were more important things to do. I agree that it should have been ready by early summer like originally stated but clearly they wanted to refurbish it again by changing the color scheme a bit.

We shall see what happens in the coming weeks!
coasterfanatic

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on October 9th, 2017, 5:51 pm
It's up!

There were also some people walking around the ride doing some minor inspections.Image

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Guy_With_A_Stick

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum