Rides
Show Guide
Hurricane Harbor
Park Information
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Ilovthevu' on July 29th, 2017, 10:32 pm
^Yeah, umm.. that doesn't fit. One of the arms is even outside the back fence in which they took away that back fence. Remember, they don't even have the cars on in which they need more room, and when it raises up, you need more room. For right now, google maps has the old picture still on there, and you can see how much fence space you need around the ride perimeter.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Six+F ... 87.9360473
Also, realize that the Orbit is surrounded by 2 streams of water next to it. So, someone could say just tear down the old line for the Orbit, and than you have more room. Where would you put the new line? Well, definitely next to the old line for Orbit. Well, you have a stream next to the Orbit (to the left of it), so you can't unless you build some sort of bridge.

So, maybe I could go back to the suggestion that maybe they would move this back to the Trailblazer spot?? Deconstruction around there?

They also have where they are going to put a haunted house in Southwest Territory already - next to the tea cups. So, maybe that Trailblazer area isn't for Fright Fest.

The Southwestern Lobster &
Orbit Resurrection (St. Louis is supposedly getting rid of theirs. They don't need it anyway. They have XCalibur. Can't they figure out how to get Orbit working with 3 Orbits? - Fun Spot must be geniuses. They only have 1. Orbit from Great America / original Orbit from St. Louis / Orbit from Fiesta Texas). Great America's Orbit was fine in August of 2016, and they just pull the ride from people that were fans of it, and they used the extra employees for the stupid virtual reality on the Arrow black coaster. They snuck out The Orbit without warning anyone. A year before that, it was like it's our 40th anniversary and remember all those rides that have been here since the start. What, 1-2 years later they take it out.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on July 29th, 2017, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilovthevu'

Share On

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Postby anewman35 on July 29th, 2017, 11:09 pm
I have to imagine they have some plan to fit the Lobster in that spot. I obviously have no idea if the story about them not initially realizing it wouldn't fit were true or not, but if it is an issue, they would have known that weeks ago (if not longer), and it doesn't make any sense at all that they would continue putting it together on the Orbit spot if it wasn't ultimately going to go there...
anewman35

Postby maxwellt on July 30th, 2017, 10:01 am
I have an odd feeling that we're goona get a flat package, and the lobster will be included with it, since the lobster didn't really have the biggest announcement for 2017, as the joker kinda covered that up

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby anewman35 on July 30th, 2017, 10:11 am
maxwellt wrote:I have an odd feeling that we're goona get a flat package, and the lobster will be included with it, since the lobster didn't really have the biggest announcement for 2017, as the joker kinda covered that up

The Lobster shouldn't really have had any sort of announcement in 2017, because it wasn't a new ride, it was just moving, and who cares if a ride is just moving? And even if they do get a flat package, I really doubt they bother to promote such an old ride as part of it unless maybe they do a few rides (including the Lobster) in one area, but that doesn't seem very likely.
anewman35

Postby Goku1910 on July 30th, 2017, 11:34 am
I honestly wouldn't minda flat package as long as we got some decent flats. Some of ours are outdated and we could use something awesome to kill time between coasters.
"The day a star fell, it was something out of a dream; nothing more or less than a breathtaking view." -Shinkai's Your Name.
Goku1910

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 30th, 2017, 12:42 pm
Sadly, the most recent flats they put in are mostly disappointing in my opinion (King Chaos, Revolution, and of course stupid Jester's Wild Ride), and a lot of the older flats, in my opinion are better than the ones they just put in. I like the Big Easy Balloons, though they are kind of slow as compared to what Santa's Village has. Santa's Village is way more fun for those balloons. For me, I don't even ride the 2nd newest flats either, part of the Southwest Territory expansion.

For me, I like the old stuff the best -> Ricochet (Ricochet is in Southwest Territory, but it's OLD. It's not part of the newer rides.), liked Orbit, Condor (1992), Triple Play, Bumper Cars, Sky Trek Tower, Hometown Fun Machine, Whirligig.

This is coming from a person that really likes flat rides & thrilling flat rides.

If they put great flat after great flat ride in their most recent additions, than maybe I wouldn't be holding onto the older flat rides as much, but to me they haven't been putting in great flat ride after great flat ride. Personally, I like Ricochet the best now at the park followed by the Hometown Fun Machine, and Orbit became 3rd.

I don't trust Giant Drop anymore after the major accident at another park, so it could go. I also feel that now especially it's a ride that gets old, fast.. The lines are not what they should be for a probably $7 million piece of machinery anyway. See the problem now if you did get rid of Giant Drop, there is basically nowhere to send it to because all these Six Flags parks either have the S&S space shot rides, or a ride like Giant Drop. I don't care for Fiddler's Fling. The tea cups are so hard to spin, so that could go. The East River Crawler to me is not a fun ride, and it takes forever to load because they only have 1 employee checking that many seats with a seatbelt. The Polyp at Kiddieland was amazing, but that's at Lake Winnie amusement park. The Spider rides at carnivals are amazing. Revolution could go. King Chaos could go (painful restraint - doesn't do much).
Ilovthevu'

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on August 2nd, 2017, 1:13 pm
The park changed the way TDK is loaded. Instead of having to cross the car to get to the bin and exit, the bin and exit are on the same side you enter. It seems a lot more efficient, albeit a tad more crowded.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | S:RoS | TTD | Lightning Run
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 2nd, 2017, 1:34 pm
^That does not sound smart at all. The exit door on the left side is too close to where the employees lock the restraint before the train leaves. I don't know who comes up with these ideas. Six Flags "fixes" the things that don't need fixing, and the stuff that needs the fixing never gets fixed. Batman (outdoors) should have a line in the tunnel that separates front row from other rows.

Superman, Raging Bull, & Batman (outdoors) should have each employee walk across the row. People are not supposed to take povs, etc, etc, but look at how each employee in this video just checks each row on their own: https://youtu.be/ICPyaEkE59k?t=20s (The employees don't look like are in a hurry either, but yet they still get it out in about 1 minute (from when they open the gates). Cedar Fair understands this concept for some reason though Six Flags doesn't and I just don't understand why. You want your workers to walk the least when checking seats. Not walk / check seats / walk / check seats / walk / check seats. Instead check seat / seat / seat / seat / barley walk to next row / check seat seat seat seat / barely walk to next row, etc. I could hammer this down on these forums, and Six Flags reads this stuff, and they won't do diddly about it - with the B&Ms.

Gates into the park should open much sooner. They never even fixed the American Eagle line that goes into 2, than goes into 1, and than goes into 2 again.
Ilovthevu'

Postby cliffhanger on August 2nd, 2017, 2:33 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:^Yeah, umm.. that doesn't fit. One of the arms is even outside the back fence in which they took away that back fence. Remember, they don't even have the cars on in which they need more room, and when it raises up, you need more room.

Not necessarily true. The arms are hinged at the center of the ride. When they tilt up, they are simply pivoting up in an arc. Really the only clearance you would need is with the roof of the structure. Since the roof dosent overhang into the center of the ride, it should be fine. And to those saying it wont fit into Orbit's spot, look at this photo, there's probably 3-4 feet between the cars and the railing. Image
The only thing about such a tight spot is that it will take longer to load/unload with people trying to squeeze between the cars closest to the railing.
cliffhanger

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 2nd, 2017, 4:25 pm
^Though imagine that ride at Great America like that, and I would expect people to go grabbing for the ride while they are in line (the Orbit line), and get injured somehow. If one fence falls down, that would also be catastrophic - especially a carnival fence. If that's a risk they want to take, don't blame me if anything happens.

You are definitely right though about hurting capacity a ton with spacing like that. This Europe carnival has a lot of those fences where you can exit / enter. With Great America's all fenced off, 1 entrance / 1 exit (smaller opening as compared to this Europe ride openings), that would have to mean an additional 1 minute loading / unloading (I would think at LEAST), and from a video of the East River Crawler, it was about a 4min 20 second minute loading procedure to begin with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVN-agETz_Y&t=23s
Ilovthevu'

Postby FParker185 on August 2nd, 2017, 10:09 pm
European Fair rides have no fences, at all, people are intelligent there, never been an issue
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, El Toro, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Expedition GeForce, SFOG Goliath, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 181, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 661, Wood: 162, Total: 823
FParker185

Postby anewman35 on August 3rd, 2017, 4:58 pm
New "Last Call Fall Festival" in November. Special foods and drinks. Seems potentially interesting... https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/s ... l-festival
anewman35

Postby RollingCoasting on August 3rd, 2017, 5:47 pm
Sounds like a cool event! I hope it won't affect crowd size too much though
1. Hades 360--2. Raging Bull--3. Goliath (GAm)--4. Mr. Freeze: Reverse Blast (STL)--5. Batman: The Ride (GAm)
RollingCoasting

Postby Coaster Justin on August 3rd, 2017, 6:29 pm
anewman35 wrote:New "Last Call Fall Festival" in November. Special foods and drinks. Seems potentially interesting... https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/s ... l-festival

I'm not saying they ripped off my idea, But they took my suggestion. I still think "Bugs Bunny's Not So Sober Oktoberfest" would've been a cool name.
605 Coasters in 30 States and 4 Countries. Email me if you want to Know.
On My Way to 650!!! in UK
Most Recent NEW Coaster: Joker @ SFGAm (5/2017)

Future 2017 Plans: UK with CoasterCrew, 2018 in Japan with ACE

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby RollingCoasting on August 3rd, 2017, 9:06 pm
The book will be released on September 4th, 2017 (Labor Day):

https://www.facebook.com/greatamericapa ... =3&theater
1. Hades 360--2. Raging Bull--3. Goliath (GAm)--4. Mr. Freeze: Reverse Blast (STL)--5. Batman: The Ride (GAm)
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on August 5th, 2017, 5:58 pm
Lobster update circa. 5 minutes ago:

First car is in!

The other bases are in as well, and it doesn't seem like space is an issue.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | S:RoS | TTD | Lightning Run
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterDemon on August 6th, 2017, 1:13 pm
^I'm glad to see it's coming together nicely.

I might head to the park tonight. My first thought was... well, do I wanna drive up? I want Dairy Queen and I want to ride Lobster! Oh well, guess I'll settle for DQ, and some other classic flats.
CoasterDemon

Postby gottastrata33 on August 6th, 2017, 3:03 pm
I just LOLd at the contemplation between the park & Dairy Queen ;D
gottastrata33

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on August 7th, 2017, 7:23 pm
Well Viper is running backwards again.
This maniacal JOKER has created chaos! VIPER BACKWARDS

For a limited time only JOKER Mayhem has turned the Viper coaster BACKWARDS!

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/s ... ayhem-week

I'm going to take a wild guess and say they are going to extend this a bit longer than just one week.
Will not be surprised when King Chaos closes on September 4th.

I feel dumb for thinking V2 was going to close.

Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
42 Rides on Eagle so far this year!
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 7th, 2017, 8:02 pm
I've never experienced the Viper backwards before. Is it worth it?
SFGAM_Hog

Postby RollingCoasting on August 7th, 2017, 8:19 pm
Oh yeah. Airtime is crazy in the back row (Seat with the view)
RollingCoasting

Postby momlovescoasters on August 7th, 2017, 8:49 pm
I'm so bummed. I've been waiting for one of the coasters to go backwards. I've only been going again for a few years. There is no way I can get there over these dates. I really hope they extend!
momlovescoasters

Postby ilrider on August 7th, 2017, 8:52 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:I've never experienced the Viper backwards before. Is it worth it?

It was fun to try once. I am not a big fan of backwards coasters. Too gimmicky. I like Eagle backwards a lot more than Viper.
ilrider

Postby maxwellt on August 7th, 2017, 9:39 pm
Yep viper was closed today, and a sign was in front of it saying backwards soon, sad that my next visit will be on the 13th and I'll be missing it by one day grrrr

maxwellt

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 8th, 2017, 4:34 pm
I'm excited for Viper backwards. Rode is backwards once before I was an enthusiast. So I made plans to visit the 16th. What a good way to celebrate National Roller Coaster Day and the last day before school starts for me, right? :roll:
Sucker for launches and 4D's

Coaster Count: 152
1) X2 2) Maverick 3) Lightning Rod 4) El Toro 5) Outlaw Run
Dan The Coaster Man

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum