Rides
Show Guide
Hurricane Harbor
Park Information
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby RaceBoarder on July 18th, 2017, 11:00 am
X-Flight2012 wrote:I was in the park on July 6th about to get on Logger's Run when the section of the park had a power outage. Since our boat wasn't out of the station, we got to wait in the station. We were with an employee who said he has worked Logger's Run and Yankee Clipper for two years. He said that the park can't remove them because the ground beneath them is soaked from the years of water leaking down into it. I didn't understand it completely, but he said it is too expensive for the park to remove them and replace all of the dirt, and it is cheaper to maintain the flumes.

This is proof that ops don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and enthusiasts that believe them are on the same level..
RaceBoarder

Share On

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 18th, 2017, 11:32 am
RaceBoarder wrote:
X-Flight2012 wrote:I was in the park on July 6th about to get on Logger's Run when the section of the park had a power outage. Since our boat wasn't out of the station, we got to wait in the station. We were with an employee who said he has worked Logger's Run and Yankee Clipper for two years. He said that the park can't remove them because the ground beneath them is soaked from the years of water leaking down into it. I didn't understand it completely, but he said it is too expensive for the park to remove them and replace all of the dirt, and it is cheaper to maintain the flumes.

This is proof that ops don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and enthusiasts that believe them are on the same level..

Well do you, an enthusiast who hates this forum(and seemingly the park) have a better explanation than someone who's worked the ride almost every day, every week, for 2 years with the ability to speak with Supervisors and upper management on a nearly daily basis? It just seems like you're just calling both ride ops and enthusiasts idiots for believing in a probable cause as to why a ride can't be removed.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

[b]The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird/b]
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Goku1910 on July 18th, 2017, 8:21 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:
RaceBoarder wrote:

Well do you, an enthusiast who hates this forum(and seemingly the park) have a better explanation than someone who's worked the ride almost every day, every week, for 2 years with the ability to speak with Supervisors and upper management on a nearly daily basis? It just seems like you're just calling both ride ops and enthusiasts idiots for believing in a probable cause as to why a ride can't be removed.

"Ground is soaked" is the funniest explanation ever. Pretty sure you're using sarcasm here but really? Tell me why you would believe this nonsense. You do understand how the tree phases of water works right?

Let's say it's true though, what about Splash Water Falls? Wouldn't the ground be soaked there, too? It was known to have major leaking problems. X-Flight seems to be standing on soaked ground pretty well.
"The day a star fell, it was something out of a dream; nothing more or less than a breathtaking view." -Shinkai's Your Name.
Goku1910

Postby RandomDoof on July 18th, 2017, 10:34 pm
Not exactly completely related to SFGAm, but John Duffey stepped down and Jim Reid Anderson is back as CEO.
(Also my first post here, yay!)

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/six-fl ... 2017-07-18
RandomDoof

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 18th, 2017, 11:38 pm
Goku1910 wrote:
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:
RaceBoarder wrote:This is proof that ops don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and enthusiasts that believe them are on the same level..

"Ground is soaked" is the funniest explanation ever. Pretty sure you're using sarcasm here but really? Tell me why you would believe this nonsense. You do understand how the tree phases of water works right?

Let's say it's true though, what about Splash Water Falls? Wouldn't the ground be soaked there, too? It was known to have major leaking problems. X-Flight seems to be standing on soaked ground pretty well.

I admit, I posted that in anger. RaceBoarder flat out insulted me and many of my friends, and felt the need to respond. Now that I think about it, the explanation really doesn't make sense, since the majority of the leaking happens over the lake area anyway.

Regardless if the explanation is correct or not, RaceBoarder's comment is still insulting(especially on a forum where many people know/are friends with ride ops and park staff).

[b]The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird/b]
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Goku1910 on July 19th, 2017, 12:03 am
Even though he's coming off completely wrong he is on the right track. Employees really know little to nothing about possible removals or additions.

They know the same amount as we do. There are enthusiasts working for the park, not many, but they are there and they tend to look for signs of a rides impending doom like us. My experience during my time at the park it was obvious to us and the general public that Iron Wolf was coming down.
Goku1910

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 21st, 2017, 3:44 pm

Lobster update from a few days ago. It seems like they're pushing through with the project.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 23rd, 2017, 11:55 pm
I wonder if Six Flags Great America is not doing that good this year out of most of the Six Flags parks. They are offering tickets online for $40 (which i think is a reasonable price), but their regular price is so overpriced at the gate being $73.

I'm looking at other Six Flags parks, and the only one cheaper is the Great Escape with $40 tickets. The Great Escape is a pretty small park. It's more expensive to go Six Flags America at $46 than it is Great America online ticket prices. Great Adventure is $50 tickets online. Fiesta Texas is $46 online. Magic Mountain is $60 online. Over Texas is $45 online.

Fiesta Texas & Great America are the only ones that have a Summer Sale that I can find. Are they doing the worst of the Six Flags chain in the US as compared to LAST YEAR? Obviously, Great America is doing better than a lot of Six Flags parks, but I'm saying as compared to last year.

EDIT: Just yesterday, the deal was on there for Great America & Fiesta Texas. Today, they took it off? What in the world?

It was only for a week I guess:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1704635683165780/
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on July 24th, 2017, 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Morals of life - Take my advice - You don't know what you have till it's gone. & Buying stuff doesn't fulfill your happiness levels for long. You buy stuff. You use stuff. You get bored of stuff. You throw stuff out. It's old. You buy new stuff. You use stuff. Get out of the rut.
Ilovthevu'

Postby anewman35 on July 24th, 2017, 8:10 pm
doubleb wrote:More possible evidence of a SF Q2 earnings miss on July 26th. This goes along with many park patrons reporting shorter than normal mid summer lines, the abundance of bonus BFF days to prop up attendance, Duffey sudden exit just a week before earnings(the sacrificial lamb). Now, major online price cuts, more than the normal grocery store discounts or coke discounts.

Question: You keep saying Q2 earnings are going to miss and attendance is down. Unless one owns Six Flags stock (I do not), why should they care? I guess it's possible that could lead to worse rides or something, but it could also lead to them deciding to improve things about the park to bring people back. And for the time being, if there are shorter than usual lines, why is that a bad thing?
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on July 24th, 2017, 9:13 pm
doubleb wrote:An earnings miss Q2 is for sure, everyone has lowered forecasts in the last week. Continued down attendance in already Q3, which is now, hence the desperation of deals and BBF, means a likely annual earnings miss. SF capital investment is based on a formula of gross revenue. Revenue down for the year means less cap exp and less/worse rides than the clone wars they currently do.

I'm still not really seeing this as a bad thing (or at least not nearly as bad a thing as you're making it out to be). From our perspective, we're not really due for anything good anyway, and if attendance is a little down, good. If they start having attendance problems on an ongoing basis? Either it's a less crowded park (good) or they get desperate and try to spend more on rides or service or something to bring people back (also good). I know you're trolling, so I don't really know why I'm even bothering to have this debate, but, yeah, I couldn't possibly care less about earnings. Keep pointing them out, I'll keep not caring.
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on July 24th, 2017, 10:04 pm
doubleb wrote:You completely don't get it. SF is adamant about not spending over 9% on Cap exp. Down attendance, down revenue means down cap exp, means even worse rides. It's not hard to understand. SF Q2 has a down graded projection of 13%. If that holds for a year the cap exp will down by almost 17M and ride expenditures by 10M, You're crazy if you think SF is going to increase investment when revenue is down. They were already planning to cut cap exp when revenue was increasing. SF went into bankruptcy by spending big when revenue didn't justify it. You homers all think facts you don't understand means trolling. . wilful ignorance is a plague of your ilk.

No, I'm afraid you completely don't get it (I also don't get why I'm a "homer", but whatever). What do you think Six Flags is going to do if, theoretically, they start losing attendance/revenue every year for a few years? Logically, are they going to keep following the same plan forever they have that's making the worse off every year? Or are they going to get some new leadership and follow some new plans to start growing again? You do understand that Six Flags plans can change, right?

I'm no "homer". I think, in many ways, Six Flags is pretty awful. But I live here. It's the park I have. So I enjoy it as much as I can. Go have a party because you're so excited that Q2 AND Q3 earnings are going to miss! I'll go enjoy the park with shorter lines.
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on July 24th, 2017, 10:27 pm
doubleb wrote:
anewman35 wrote:You prove again your lack of financially savvy. Yes, they will do something when SF can't grow revenue, ie...poor attendance they will try to maintain the EBIDTA by cutting costs. You do know that's what many companies have been doing for years. especially after the crash. Btw, Wall Street and investors love it.

I guess I shouldn't tell you then that I have a degree in Economics...

If they try to fix their (hypothetical) issues by continuously cutting costs, that at some point leads to a downward spiral where they keep cutting and because they keep cutting they keep getting less people and so on. If you assume that being the sole amusement park in the Chicagoland area is going to continue to be a viable enterprise for somebody, they'd either find a way to fix it or sell it to somebody else who could. Personally, as long as the park remains open and has some rides I like, I don't particularly care who runs it or what kind of Q2 profits they made. I'm not worried.
Last edited by anewman35 on July 24th, 2017, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anewman35

Postby RollingCoasting on July 26th, 2017, 4:06 pm
Red train is running on Demon, black is off
1. Hades 360--2. Raging Bull--3. Goliath (GAm)--4. Mr. Freeze: Reverse Blast (STL)--5. Batman: The Ride (GAm)
RollingCoasting

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 27th, 2017, 12:52 pm
^ doubleb, you almost act like you're happy that Six Flags might have a down Q2?? Why do you hate Six Flags so much?? Also businesses have down quarters from time to time, even strong companies like Walmart , Exxon-Mobil and your beloved Cedar Fair! One down quarter isn't going to push Six Flags into bankruptcy or closing.

As anewman stated, they can modify their plans if need be.
Single Day Ride Count Records

Without Flash Pass - 41 rides 8/19/2016 (Coasters After Dark)

With Platinum Flash Pass - 51 rides 7/15/2016

Giant Drop - last day 9/09/2019 - you heard it here first!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 27th, 2017, 1:27 pm
^ Please site your source for all your stats. You've accused other folks of making up numbers out of thin air on here before. Examples would be Six Flags 2015 Annual Report, Six Flags official earnings release from a quarter, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 27th, 2017, 1:45 pm
doubleb wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^ Please site your source for all your stats. You've accused other folks of making up numbers out of thin air on here before. Examples would be Six Flags 2015 Annual Report, Six Flags official earnings release from a quarter, etc.

Read the annual reports, quarterlies, investor presentations, listen to or read the transcripts of the conference calls. I know you won't though or you would already know the things stated.

NO, that's NOT how citing sources works! You don't make your reader go and "find" the sources! Is that how you were able to squirm your way through your "Top college" ?? When doing a scholarly article, it's up to the WRITER to list his sources, not for the reader to go about on a scavenger hunt to find them!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 27th, 2017, 4:01 pm
Lobster progress care of SFGAm Evaluation Squad facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/SFGAmEvaluatio ... =3&theater

^Would have liked to see the arm that is closest to the fence - see how far it is from the fence, but oh well. It's an update.

"Sources tell us that it should be open just in time for Frightfest!" Something still has to be wrong with it. That's a LONG, LONG time from now - September 20th, or something.
Morals of life - Take my advice - You don't know what you have till it's gone. & Buying stuff doesn't fulfill your happiness levels for long. You buy stuff. You use stuff. You get bored of stuff. You throw stuff out. It's old. You buy new stuff. You use stuff. Get out of the rut.
Ilovthevu'

Postby anewman35 on July 27th, 2017, 4:21 pm
doubleb wrote:
Ilovthevu' wrote:Lobster progress care of SFGAm Evaluation Squad facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/SFGAmEvaluatio ... =3&theater

^Would have liked to see the arm that is closest to the fence - see how far it is from the fence, but oh well. It's an update.

"Sources tell us that it should be open just in time for Frightfest!" Something still has to be wrong with it. That's a LONG, LONG time from now - September 20th, or something.

Opening would cost money. If they open it during Frightfest they can just re allocate staff from rides that don't run after the main season. SF is so cheap and poorly staffed they the only 2 times I went in 2017 the had the main ride operator on V2 checking restraints instead of having another person. That is not done on Wicked Twister or Steel Venom

We actually agree on something. Opening it now doesn't get them one extra person, but costs them money. Open it for Fright Fest and they can try to promote it as a special Fright Fest thing or whatever.
anewman35

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 27th, 2017, 5:45 pm
Read comments about Six Flags 2nd quarter here:
http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2017/ ... nings.html

The most important negative thing I see is that per cap is down 2% which means each person that comes to the park spends less money on average. I don't know what Great Adventure is doing when they have no bins on some rides that basically tell guests DO NOT BUY OUR STUFF in bright colors! You will have to pay double for everything you buy. You win a stuffed animal, and you will have to put in a locker on every ride you visit. Pay up.

Every year / every quarter, whenever Six Flags doesn't do good in some area, they always blame it on weather. That excuse is getting old. We also know that some increased attendance has to do with an abundant of bring a friend free days + $20 / $30 days. For Great America, they also opened up the park earlier this year than last year. I know Over Texas opened much earlier also than last year - barely closed now.
Ilovthevu'

Postby BCarroll on July 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm
Today, they were handing out "boarding passes" on Superman, Goliath, and Raging Bull.
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 28th, 2017, 1:52 am
Ilovthevu'

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 28th, 2017, 9:01 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:Read comments about Six Flags 2nd quarter here:
http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2017/ ... nings.html

The most important negative thing I see is that per cap is down 2% which means each person that comes to the park spends less money on average. I don't know what Great Adventure is doing when they have no bins on some rides that basically tell guests DO NOT BUY OUR STUFF in bright colors! You will have to pay double for everything you buy. You win a stuffed animal, and you will have to put in a locker on every ride you visit. Pay up.

Every year / every quarter, whenever Six Flags doesn't do good in some area, they always blame it on weather. That excuse is getting old. We also know that some increased attendance has to do with an abundant of bring a friend free days + $20 / $30 days. For Great America, they also opened up the park earlier this year than last year. I know Over Texas opened much earlier also than last year - barely closed now.

Thanks for posting this! I found especially interesting this comment:
" Increasing season-long dining pass sales is a focus that they will work on growing for the next five or even ten years. They have a low penetration so far into their market, so see a ton of room for growth on these plans. " I am wondering how they make money on the dining pass if people go like 10+ times?
Perhaps the average person buys the dining pass and only goes a few times?
I know that collecting up front for that pass (as well as the season pass) is a sound investment strategy because they can go and invest all that cash and earn, say 12% or more. I would love to see the data on average trips to the park for a season pass holder and a dining pass holder. There must be a point of equilibrium where when trips exceed that, it's better for the customer and when trips don't exceed that, it's better for Six Flags.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby anewman35 on July 28th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:They added a 3rd week to November. :o :o
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/p ... g-schedule

Interestingly, that new last weekend is actually the same as the first weekend of Holiday in the Park at most of the other Six Flags. Really feels like they're slowly expanding the season until they finally take the plunge and do it...
anewman35

Postby DejaVu2001 on July 28th, 2017, 12:31 pm
Seems to me they want to have as many chances for cold weather as possible after last year's single November weekend was disappointingly warm and provided no data for cold weather operation :lol:
DejaVu2001

Postby RollingCoasting on July 29th, 2017, 9:20 pm
From JiggidyNDG:

More pieces have been moved to The Lobster site

1. Hades 360--2. Raging Bull--3. Goliath (GAm)--4. Mr. Freeze: Reverse Blast (STL)--5. Batman: The Ride (GAm)
RollingCoasting

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum