Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby benneluke on April 26th, 2018, 11:40 am
New paint job on the Whizzer trains this year.
What a day! What a place! What a smile on your face!
benneluke

Postby MrsTaxi on April 26th, 2018, 11:59 am
JaminOut wrote:Here it is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. Good bye Pictorium.
MrsTaxi

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 26th, 2018, 12:07 pm
SFGAmFan12 wrote:
JaminOut wrote:Here it is...

In one fell swoop you just shut the nay sayers that said it wasn’t coming down.

And that’s a pretty good pic between the trees!

NOOOOOOOO! As much as the Pictorium wasn't used, a piece of history is coming down :( .
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 26th, 2018, 1:08 pm
A question I have is whether or not the hypnotist will come back to the park in a different location (She has probably been going to the park for 20 years - if not more). Also, what is going in the Grand Music Hall during the summer?

I'm not that sad to see the Pictoruim go. I enjoyed those Screams and Dreams shows, but it didn't seem like non-coaster people liked them that much. One of the biggest show venue dumb decisions though was taking out the Theater Royale. That ride is a wonderful ride, but it should have went somewhere else. Technically, just the line for that ride is used. The ride itself is in a different building. I wish they could just change back that show venue to what it was, but still keep the ride.

The Wilderness show venue right by Logger's Run is just too hidden. To me, it would be better used for something else, and it's another outdoor show venue. People want air conditioning on a 80 degree day. Sometimes, you go to a show to get away from the heat - not just stay outdoors more.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 26th, 2018, 6:05 pm
Tbh I never liked those hypnotist shows. I would hope they wouldnt have to alternate between Love At First Fright and the Susan Rosen show in the Grand Music Hall.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 27th, 2018, 9:43 am
benneluke wrote:New paint job on the Whizzer trains this year.

Love the paint job! Thanks for posting. Did the track get a repaint also?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby JaminOut on April 27th, 2018, 10:57 am
Yes. There were employees on the tracks pressure washing and painting yesterday.

I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 27th, 2018, 12:11 pm
JaminOut wrote:Yes. There were employees on the tracks pressure washing and painting yesterday.

Oh wow Whizzer is getting repainted, I hope it will look very nice. If only some other rides actually got a repaint *cough* Superman *cough*.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Sven18 on April 27th, 2018, 4:57 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:
JaminOut wrote:Yes. There were employees on the tracks pressure washing and painting yesterday.

Oh wow Whizzer is getting repainted, I hope it will look very nice. If only some other rides actually got a repaint *cough* Superman *cough*.

Hopefully, they paint and fix up the station and queue, it was looking worn last year.
Sven18

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on April 27th, 2018, 7:02 pm
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby Jodon on April 28th, 2018, 12:55 pm
Not sure if it's permanent, but when I rode Viper today, the lift chain didn't slow down at the top of the lift.

Jodon

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 28th, 2018, 1:26 pm
Jodon wrote:Not sure if it's permanent, but when I rode Viper today, the lift chain didn't slow down at the top of the lift.

In the morning when I ride it first it doesn't slow down. Does it depend on weight?
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on April 28th, 2018, 1:34 pm
For the first around half hour of the day, it doesn't slow down at the top.
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 28th, 2018, 2:14 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:
Jodon wrote:Not sure if it's permanent, but when I rode Viper today, the lift chain didn't slow down at the top of the lift.

In the morning when I ride it first it doesn't slow down. Does it depend on weight?

Yes it does depend on weight. Weight is a factor in every coaster and it effects the maximum speed coasters go on. When I road Whizzer with my little brother earlier today there weren't much people and the train went pretty fast for me. Hopefully this keeps up and Whizzer could be in my top 5 coasters at Great America :lol: .

_FuryBull_330_

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 28th, 2018, 9:52 pm
O o f

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollingCoasting on April 28th, 2018, 10:31 pm
https://www.facebook.com/JiggidyNDG/pos ... 4397910752

Jiggidy uploaded some pictures of Pictorium deconstruction, along with Sprocket Rocket's sign
RollingCoasting

Postby astucks18 on April 29th, 2018, 5:16 am
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:
SFGAM_Hog wrote:

Yes it does depend on weight. Weight is a factor in every coaster and it effects the maximum speed coasters go on. When I road Whizzer with my little brother earlier today there weren't much people and the train went pretty fast for me. Hopefully this keeps up and Whizzer could be in my top 5 coasters at Great America :lol: .
This is all kinds of wrong, the train would go slower if there was less weight because the train carries less momentum, and Whizzer was not even open haha

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
astucks18

Postby CoasterDemon on April 29th, 2018, 12:45 pm
Whizzer is a world-class ride and one of my favorite coasters - even when it's running slow :) Speed is overrated. Those new Whizzer train front are freaking awesome! Is Whiz open today? I was thinking of heading up later for some spins on it and Demon... and Lobster, Fun Machine and Triple Play. ...And Eagle if I'm up to walking way the heck over there!
CoasterDemon

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on April 29th, 2018, 12:58 pm
CoasterDemon wrote:Whizzer is a world-class ride and one of my favorite coasters - even when it's running slow :) Speed is overrated. Those new Whizzer train front are freaking awesome! Is Whiz open today? I was thinking of heading up later for some spins on it and Demon... and Lobster, Fun Machine and Triple Play. ...And Eagle if I'm up to walking way the heck over there!

I think it's still closed for painting! Agreed 100% though. Whizzer is awesome! I remember back in 2002 when they were supposed to close it, and all the dooms day people were proclaiming that it was "Falling apart" and "Far too costly to maintain".... Here we are almost 20 years later, and it's still standing and as great as ever! Too many people underestimate Six Flags and our park specifically.
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby CoasterDemon on April 29th, 2018, 1:09 pm
^As much as I complain about our home park - particularly how Six Flags chooses to run it, etc. - I still say it's the best park in the chain.

Sure, we don't have X2, Mind Bender (both of which are in my top 5) and El Toro (didn't care for it myself)... but we have the best all-around park. The most variety of types of rides. As horrible as the operation can be, it's so much better than the rest of the Six Flags I've been to (all in North America).

I was at Magic Mountain last July for 2 days. LOVE Revolution (lap bars baby!) and X2... and Ninja and Viper... FThrottle is ok too... but gosh darn, I was so happy I have Great America as a home park and not that place. Shame, too... it's a dream location and is screaming with potential. I wish someone would buy it and "flip that park."
CoasterDemon

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on April 29th, 2018, 1:22 pm
CoasterDemon wrote:^As much as I complain about our home park - particularly how Six Flags chooses to run it, etc. - I still say it's the best park in the chain.

Sure, we don't have X2, Mind Bender (both of which are in my top 5) and El Toro (didn't care for it myself)... but we have the best all-around park. The most variety of types of rides. As horrible as the operation can be, it's so much better than the rest of the Six Flags I've been to (all in North America).

I was at Magic Mountain last July for 2 days. LOVE Revolution (lap bars baby!) and X2... and Ninja and Viper... FThrottle is ok too... but gosh darn, I was so happy I have Great America as a home park and not that place. Shame, too... it's a dream location and is screaming with potential. I wish someone would buy it and "flip that park."

No doubt about it! Great America is an amazing park! I used to be a member of Coaster Buzz back in the day, and people were CONSTANTLY underestimating our park.... "Demon has just a few years left (2001)".... "Whizzer is falling apart(2002)".... "Little Dipper will never come to Great America(2009)"..... "Expect a kids section to replace Iron Wolf(2013)".... Wrong Wrong Wrong! It seems that our park is constantly being underestimated by naysayers who have been wrong every step of the way.
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby CoasterDemon on April 29th, 2018, 1:55 pm
^I'm still on Coasterbuzz, but don't post very often... definitely a tough crowd.

Looks like I'm all about flats and Demon if I go today. Seems everything else is closed or one train ops... BUT luckily, I love Demon. I've only EVER (since 1980) seen Demon run one train once... I hope that ain't today!
CoasterDemon

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 30th, 2018, 7:25 am
SFGAMNUT9302 wrote:
CoasterDemon wrote:^As much as I complain about our home park - particularly how Six Flags chooses to run it, etc. - I still say it's the best park in the chain.

No doubt about it! Great America is an amazing park! I used to be a member of Coaster Buzz back in the day, and people were CONSTANTLY underestimating our park.... "Demon has just a few years left (2001)".... "Whizzer is falling apart(2002)".... "Little Dipper will never come to Great America(2009)"..... "Expect a kids section to replace Iron Wolf(2013)".... Wrong Wrong Wrong! It seems that our park is constantly being underestimated by naysayers who have been wrong every step of the way.

Probably people who are from other parks and don't want this park to be better than their parks. I'm looking at you Cedar Point fanboys :lol: .

_FuryBull_330_

Postby Jodon on April 30th, 2018, 8:54 am
Ummm...SFGAm isn't even close to Cedar Point anymore. You might have been able to make the argument about a decade or two ago, even then it likely wasn't close. Today, Cedar Point runs circles around SFGAm in almost every way.

People need to stop hoping that SFGAm will rival CP. Unless SF corporate drastically changes their strategy, SFGAm will never directly compete with CP again. The amount of resources Cedar Fair has poured into CP the last decade is unrivaled in regional theme parks. CF is trying (and successfully) to make CP into a resort destination, SFGAm is a good regional park and SF corporate doesn't want to put in the resources to make it anything more than that.
Jodon

Postby Sven18 on April 30th, 2018, 9:47 am
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:Probably people who are from other parks and don't want this park to be better than their parks. I'm looking at you Cedar Point fanboys :lol: .

Cedar Point runs laps around GAm. The gap was huge and got bigger with the addition of Steel Vengeance. GAm nor any SF park can compete with CP. The investment strategies of each chain are divergent. No SF park is getting a 20 to 30M coaster nor a hotel/resort, which CF is spreading around the chain.
Sven18

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum